Big mid fielders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big mid fielders

St Fidelius wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Play him forward as that's where he started at St Mary's. Roo and Kosi will bang it down to him and if doesn't put them through the big stcks Mini will. It's make or break and we need to roll the dice on this but the pay off will be huge.
Yeah, it sounds good in theory BUT...

Just my opinion, he seems to lack confidence playing at the highest level to make and read play and "present"....

I maybe wrong, but he seems to be more comfortable in the back half playing at the top level, where he can just play off is opponent and run forward.
He reads play well though, that's one of his greatest strengths, wherever it is he ends up playing.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:and btw if we used the theory (never move raph hbf is his position) for all our players we would soon be a bottom 8 club. This would make us the most predictable club in the afl. why do you think clubs like hawthorn have one successful year and then drop off a bit. why do you think we are now changing out gameplan, we became predictable and moves like raph gilbo, kosi (mabye blake) in the ruck etc. make us a hell of alot more dangerous, even if those players arn't performing as well as they 'may' in another position
I'd like to see Kosi alternate between mid and CHB.
I'd like to see Kosi win the goalkicking at Sandy.
Wouldnt that earn him a recall to the seniors?
Did we ever draft Sauntner?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
vacuous space
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:We fell down so badly on the ball and mid field in GF2 that we have to do something.
That could be used as the justifcation for doing just about anything. Clarke hasn't done anything to suggest a move onto the ball is likely. He's been used primarily as a floating defender and has done a lot more in the air than on the ground. I think it far more likely that we add in someone like Armo to provide more grunt in the middle. It's not like we're small in the middle.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big mid fielders

plugger66 wrote:What is made up is the statement he will play mid/ wing and that last season if he didnt do his hammy he would be trailled as a mid. The facts are clear. He hasnt as yet and that is because the coaches obviously dont think he can play in that position otherwise in the last 7 years surely he would have been tried there.
Sheesh Plugger, show a bit of daring and imagination.

Maybe he can play in the midfield. Only one way to find out.

We could do with another class onballer. Maybe give him a run there in the preseason and see how he goes.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:and btw if we used the theory (never move raph hbf is his position) for all our players we would soon be a bottom 8 club. This would make us the most predictable club in the afl. why do you think clubs like hawthorn have one successful year and then drop off a bit. why do you think we are now changing out gameplan, we became predictable and moves like raph gilbo, kosi (mabye blake) in the ruck etc. make us a hell of alot more dangerous, even if those players arn't performing as well as they 'may' in another position
I'd like to see Kosi alternate between mid and CHB.
I'd like to see Kosi win the goalkicking at Sandy.
Wouldnt that earn him a recall to the seniors?
Did we ever draft Sauntner?

Exactly. Never on our list so couldn't earn a recall.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Who is the quickest (in the mind) Kosi or Raph?
I would put my money on Raph in a foot race.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
PJ
SS Life Member

I think we might be missing the point that we have plenty of outside mids

Gram, Dal, Monty

We actually need inside and under mids

Possibilities

Polo, Armo, Steven

Lenny needs support and what is missing is the guy to either get in and get it or tackle the man with it

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think we might be missing the point that we have plenty of outside mids

Gram, Dal, Monty

Possibilities

Polo, Armo, Steven

Lenny needs support and what is missing is the guy to either get in and get it or tackle the man with it
Lenny does need support.

The bigger concern is if Lenny goes down for any length of time!

PJ
SS Life Member

The bigger concern is if Lenny goes down for any length of time!
I don't even want to consider the possibility of no Lenny - it's too depressing

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think we might be missing the point that we have plenty of outside mids

Gram, Dal, Monty

Possibilities

Polo, Armo, Steven

Luke Ball?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Gram, Dal, Monty

Possibilities

Polo, Armo, Steven

Luke Ball?
We couldn't afford him, apparently the players wouldn't take a second pay cut so he could get $600k a year, and he bailed to a team willing to pay him $500k.

Sad that he wouldn't honour his committment, but hey he got $500k and a premiership, stuff loyalty to the friends who took a paycut, he's alright Jack. :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Gram, Dal, Monty

Possibilities

Polo, Armo, Steven

Luke Ball?
We couldn't afford him, apparently the players wouldn't take a second pay cut so he could get $600k a year, and he bailed to a team willing to pay him $500k.

Sad that he wouldn't honour his committment, but hey he got $500k and a premiership, stuff loyalty to the friends who took a paycut, he's alright Jack. :wink:
Suppose we could have off loaded BJ to fit him in :roll:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

For once, this is not a debate where the conservatives are 80% likely to be right. We've just changed our assistant coaches, we're going to see selection changes.

Under Anthony Rock, we tried Jason Blake and Leigh Fisher as mids (often at the same time no less). Under Elshaug, we abandoned the "big mids" focus, went back to putting our prime movers on the ball, and - with the exception of Ball and Armo (who may be the big winner in a new midfield coach) - primarily seen exactly the guys you'd expect thrive, to the benefit of the team.

Extreme example, Rock's no longer coaching at AFL level (pulled the same stuff at Nortyh in trying to make Gibson a mid. Possibly never got over not having Brad Green after he left Melbourne), point is, your assistants clearly have huge influence in selection.

So maybe we'll see Raph's hamstrings put under midfield level pressure. Based on skillset, I bet for the 8 minutes he'd play for the year, he'd look good.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nah, I don't think we could of carried two engine room players....is there even a team that carries two bottom of the pack types anymore?

At this point I still reckon we need someone who can be a shovel and a creator, not so much another full time shovel?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Nah, I don't think we could of carried two engine room players....is there even a team that carries two bottom of the pack types anymore?

At this point I still reckon we need someone who can be a shovel and a creator, not so much another full time shovel?
Yeah but surely Lenny's not full time on the old shovel.

He can be very creative and will be even more so if someone else can get their hands on the spade every now and then.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Sad that he wouldn't honour his committment, but hey he got $500k and a premiership, stuff loyalty to the friends who took a paycut, he's alright Jack. :wink:
Loyalty in footy??

You're kidding right?

Any player who is loyal to his club these days is an idiot.

Not one single person employed by a club these days gives a stuff about anything other than their own paypacket and it's sustainability.

Sure they develop friendships whilst at an organisation, but so does anyone at any workplace.

The players, if their only reason for playing footy (as we keep getting told) is to play in a Premiership team, are mad if they hold onto any form of loyalty.

And I don't believe they do anyway. The reason they'll take pay cuts and make pledges to stay together, is not through loyalty - it's because keeping a core group of players together is the best way to win a flag.

The only people in footy who still hold on to this dated concept of club loyalty - are the supporters.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Nah, I don't think we could of carried two engine room players....is there even a team that carries two bottom of the pack types anymore?

Yeah but surely Lenny's not full time on the old shovel.

He can be very creative and will be even more so if someone else can get their hands on the spade every now and then.
True, but Luke not so much....and while Lenny is creative, he still only kicked minimal goals this year. Hard to have two that won't hit the scoreboard much.

PJ
SS Life Member

Not one single person employed by a club these days gives a stuff about anything other than their own paypacket and it's sustainability.
So why do you bother posting? - morbid curiosity?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Because he won’t stop til all of us ignoramuses understand his philosophical greatness.

Well it is the time of year for Messiahs :)

Actually Monty Python got it all wrong – it should have been “The Life of Rodgerâ€

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
??

Not sure of the relevance of the question to be honest.

For a start, it's hardly a 'bother' to post on an internet forum. And secondly, I post on various forums on various topics.

The main reason for visiting this particular forum, is more about the posters than the topic (ie. the Saints).

This place is deadset full of genuine lunatics. It's hilarious.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
PJ wrote:
??

For a start, it's hardly a 'bother' to post on an internet forum. And secondly, I post on various forums on various topics.

The main reason for visiting this particular forum, is more about the posters than the topic (ie. the Saints).

And you would be best placed to know that.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Well there you go, I reckon they could have 'carried' two inside types..........now I hope Armitage gets more game time

Selwood/Bartel (Ablett finds his own footy as well)
Jones/Maloney
Kirk/Bolton
Swan/Ball
Black/Rich
In and under clearance players can also be creative :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
PJ
SS Life Member

??

Clearly you don't understand the insinuation and secondly you have just demonstrated my point

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
PJ wrote:
Because he won’t stop til all of us ignoramuses understand his philosophical greatness.

Well it is the time of year for Messiahs :)

Actually Monty Python got it all wrong – it should have been “The Life of Rodgerâ€

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote: Sad that he wouldn't honour his committment, but hey he got $500k and a premiership, stuff loyalty to the friends who took a paycut, he's alright Jack. :wink:
Loyalty in footy??

You're kidding right?

Any player who is loyal to his club these days is an idiot.

Sure they develop friendships whilst at an organisation, but so does anyone at any workplace.

The players, if their only reason for playing footy (as we keep getting told) is to play in a Premiership team, are mad if they hold onto any form of loyalty.

And I don't believe they do anyway. The reason they'll take pay cuts and make pledges to stay together, is not through loyalty - it's because keeping a core group of players together is the best way to win a flag.

The only people in footy who still hold on to this dated concept of club loyalty - are the supporters.

Tend to agree.

You speak to a number of retired players from most eras... and they only speak to 1, 2 or so players they played with.

Same with workplaces - Friends you go out with, friends ull have some beers with. Lifetime friends? Very very rare.