Team changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

davis is a backman now isnt he?
bakers not going to play a forward pocket :?: :shock:

anyhoo
i guess it depends on who goes out re injury and the possie they play determining who comes in and their ability to play that position

if dempster doesnt come up and bakers is raring and fit, he comes in
if blake misses because of that knock then kozi in

although im with some others
id like to see walsh take dawes

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sorry, meant Krakouer, not Davis. Bakes is the obvious match up for Krak, I'd expect, whether Dempster plays or not.
We'll ideally need to shut down Thomas, Krakouer and Didak, so I think we'll need Jones, Dempster and Bakes in the side.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saint tash
Club Player

Sidebottom was pretty handy in GF2 so let's not discount him either.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:Sidebottom was pretty handy in GF2 so let's not discount him either.
Reality is you cannot tag more than two.

You've just got to try and keep them honest.

On current form I'd tag Thomas, and either Pendlebury or Didak.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
saint tash wrote:Sidebottom was pretty handy in GF2 so let's not discount him either.

I dont think we have really tagged anyone in the last 3 or 4 weeks. We have guys that do run with jobs but now are going forward when they can. CJ will run with Pendlebury. Swan and Fisher may go head to head and Thomas will play forward and when on the ball will get one of our other mids.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

I dont think we have really tagged anyone in the last 3 or 4 weeks. We have guys that do run with jobs but now are going forward when they can. CJ will run with Pendlebury. Swan and Fisher may go head to head and Thomas will play forward and when on the ball will get one of our other mids.
Depends on your definition of a tag. Jones and Dempster are defensive types so their major role whoever their opponent is to negate. Certainly Dempster was sent to Marc Murphy in Round 7, and Jones sat on Mitchell in Round 8 and Davey in Round 9.

Then there is a softer tag which is more about keeping an opponent honest- e.g. Fisher v Pavlich, Gilbert v Judd

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone think Ross might be f$#@ing with their heads? He is a shrewd bugger Ross, I think he is trying to get the inflated egos to vie for the Pies best player of the round accolades with his Daisy comments. The Pies are built on team work and are in danger of becoming ego driven individuals. Maybe just stirring the pot a little?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:. Mini gets brought in as a tackling machine, which could be useful.
Sorry couldn't help but chuckle

if only he could also win the football and dispose of the football too

would be very useful

maybe we should go all out for Billy Slater too

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:

I agree that you wouldn't want to "tag" more than one or two in the midfield, but someone like Krakouer is going to be playing mostly in the forward line, so you can also "tag" him, because that's the usual job of someone playing in the back pocket.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
jays
Club Player

go in unchanged imo

saintbob
SS Life Member

Let's find out what these kids have got, it may just bring the best out in them.

Why go backwards and play Mini, Gram and Raph!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I think Baker will play. I'm not sure who's place he will take, but I think he will take on the mids coming forward to rest.

We're still a small defender short.
If Dempster doesn't come up then Baker has to play. There's simply no other options at the moment in regards to Collingwood's small forwards.

If nothing else it will ensure his 200th game is out of the way.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Don't be surprised if no. 2 doesn't front this week. Very sore.

Quixote
SS Life Member

^^ Fingers crossed. It's only Tuesday.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Don't be surprised if no. 2 doesn't front this week. Very sore.
Be a shame to miss such a big game/chance but you can also understand as hes still a kid.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
tony74 wrote:Don't be surprised if no. 2 doesn't front this week. Very sore.
Be a shame to miss such a big game/chance but you can also understand as hes still a kid.
He really does have a young kid's body at the moment. No real definition in the arms.

Looks likely to be a very good player for us in the future and we'd be crazy to risk him against this particular opponent if he's not 100% right.

We'll find out soon enough.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
degruch wrote:. Mini gets brought in as a tackling machine, which could be useful.
Sorry couldn't help but chuckle

if only he could also win the football and dispose of the football too
That's the rub...you never know which Mini's going to turn up each week.

As for defensive roles above, Dempster would go to Didak, if available. Jones to either Pendles or Thomas. We've not had a lot of luck negating Thomas over the years.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We cant just worry about tagging half of Collingwood- somewhere we have to get the first use of the ball, and be the hunted not the hunter. Too much defensive work will play into Collingwood's hands.

saint tash
Club Player

spert wrote:We cant just worry about tagging half of Collingwood- somewhere we have to get the first use of the ball, and be the hunted not the hunter. Too much defensive work will play into Collingwood's hands.
+1 Not going to win playing super defensive. Didn't need to last week. Admittedly different oppo. :oops:

Basic tags and just look to make the play.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
goddardisgod
Club Player

Lynch seems likely to play. But Sippos may miss.

Would think it's a good chance for Johnson to come in again.

Blake out, defensively, is only an issue if Brown plays. Otherwise, Gwilt and Dawson with Fisher and Gilbert relieving should be fine. Kosi in for Blake.

Baker in for Dempster seems straight swap.

If BG doesn't come up, Clarke in.

Would set Gilbert the task of head to head with Thomas, with Jones going to Pendlebury and Baker to Krakouer. Who ever O'Brien gets should play deep forward.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would think that Raph will come in to the backline after his week end game. Johnson if Siposs misses, maybe Dan Archer to fill the spot left vacant if Kosi misses and Blake covered. Would like to see one of Simpkin or Walsh get a go down back but maybe Ross will try a bit more stability than trying out new guys against the Pies. I know people will be pissed off but we probably need Grams run to break the Pies defence. Gram hasn't been right since he went down in the finals, I think he is still carrying something but if it's just confidence he should probably play.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I would think that Raph will come in to the backline after his week end game. Johnson if Siposs misses, maybe Dan Archer to fill the spot left vacant if Kosi misses and Blake covered. Would like to see one of Simpkin or Walsh get a go down back but maybe Ross will try a bit more stability than trying out new guys against the Pies. I know people will be pissed off but we probably need Grams run to break the Pies defence. Gram hasn't been right since he went down in the finals, I think he is still carrying something but if it's just confidence he should probably play.
no to Gram.

“Yeah….nah””
To the top
SS Life Member

I also think we need the run of Clarke and Gram, plus the relief rucking of Koschitzke to break out of the stifling zones the opposition set up.

We can not be caught handballing backwards inviting more and more pressure - plus we need an alternate tall to Riewoldt as a target or to kick into the space behind.

We must somehow break even in the ruck.

And we need as much pace as we can get into the side.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Gram is either physically incapable or mentally unwilling. I prefer the former given his groin history, but geez I'v teetered on the latter in recent weeks.

Others are better at the moment. He won't play.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Peake is probably the only like for like player for Gram. He is playing well but the pair would be better. If Gram is restricted by his groin they should let him rest on the CHF line and give him licence to take shots from the 50. If he can't use his body for the hard stuff, use him creatively. Sometimes players just need to be tried elsewhere. If we beat the Pies it will be because we move the ball quick not if we play lock down. They have been beaten when teams don't allow them to use it first. Easier said than done.