Round 11 Team v Collingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Hi risk selection strategy for such a crucial game IMO. While it isn't crucial for us to win, it is important for us to avoid a 10+ goal thrashing.

I think it's extremely hard on Simpkin. Putting a debutant defender up against such a powerful attack could see him ripped to shreds and set him back a fair way. It doesn't make much sense to me.
I think it's a fairly clear indication that we're looking ahead to next year and beyond.

Perhaps the excitement about this year and our prospects isn't being shared by the coaches.

In addition to that, the other indication seems to be that we are looking to change from a big team to an unpredictable small team.

I quite like that part.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Obviously we are going for more run.
Can anyone remember the last time we went in with so few talls?
Certainly an interesting trial.

(Looking ahead- With Gardi and Blake not here in 2012 we will certainly go for a ruckment. I beg them not to use our first rounder.)

Be nice of Gaertner decided to re-commit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Obviously we are going for more run.
Can anyone remember the last time we went in with so few talls?
Certainly an interesting trial.

(Looking ahead- With Gardi and Blake not here in 2012 we will certainly go for a ruckment. I beg them not to use our first rounder.)

Be nice of Gaertner decided to re-commit.
Gaertner was a backman who was used in the ruck when they were short at Sandy. If he made it in AFL it was never going to be as a ruckman. Anyway he is long gone and wasnt good enough anyway.

Joffa 5
Club Player

SainterK wrote::shock:

Jason Blake (knee), Tom Lynch (hand) and Nick Winmar (omitted) all miss after last week's win against Fremantle.

Brendon Goddard was overlooked after being involved in a heavy collision last week. Sean Dempster also failed to regain his place after being hospitalised after a heavy bump against Fremantle, while Justin Koschitzke will miss another week.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z1O7ujCbEq
Supercoach has a bandaid symbol on BJ too so the expectation certainly was for him to be out

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah im tempted to put him on the bench as an emergency

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa 5 wrote:
SainterK wrote::shock:

Jason Blake (knee), Tom Lynch (hand) and Nick Winmar (omitted) all miss after last week's win against Fremantle.

Brendon Goddard was overlooked after being involved in a heavy collision last week. Sean Dempster also failed to regain his place after being hospitalised after a heavy bump against Fremantle, while Justin Koschitzke will miss another week.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z1O7ujCbEq
Supercoach has a bandaid symbol on BJ too so the expectation certainly was for him to be out
Cant pay any attention to that though, they are never right.. Ed Curnow is listed as injured and returning Round 14, yet he is playing this week and named in starting 18 :roll:

Legendary
Club Player

If I didn't know better, I would think Mick Malthouse was coaching the Saints this week ...

Selecting young first-gamers for a huge match on the MCG, expecting them to fill the position of experienced players and expecting nothing less than 100% committment ...

It's worked for MM for a long time ... let's hope it works for RL on Saturday. I reckon he's on the right strategy.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'm glad we have maintained selection integrity. Simpkin has been fantastic all season for Sandringham and is justly next in line with Blake out. Get your rewards. RL talks about preparing for just another game so why would anyone expect him to pick any differently just because it's Collingwood? Integrity. And he's been consistently banging on about new talent this season.
Same with Ledger - hasn't played all season but has shown alot in last two games and frankly is an obvious talent with speed. Winmar has shown a little bit but probably not enough considering the blokes knocking on the door. Lynch is unlucky - he looked really clean against Freo and the signs are now good for him. And Kosi deserves to be in the twos.
There is no doubt about it this is an exciting looking team. It's a huge game for us, not necessarily to win (need to win next two of three imo) but to show.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

millarsaint wrote: ... Simpkin has been fantastic all season for Sandringham and is justly next in line with Blake out. Get your rewards. RL talks about preparing for just .
I haven't seen that much of Simpkin.
At VFL level was Simpkin a negator or someone who also takes the game on ?
Is he quick ?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Veeery interesting selections. Doesn't look like RL has thrown the season to get games into the kids, smells of midfield domination to me. We can only assume there is no-one left to ruck, with Kosi, Gardi and Blake down (Archer was a wildcard), so a lot resting on Ben's shoulders. I'm guessing Zac as pinch ruck.

Would be looking forward to it, but 2 gigs that night, so will miss the lot. :(

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

samoht wrote:
millarsaint wrote: ... Simpkin has been fantastic all season for Sandringham and is justly next in line with Blake out. Get your rewards. RL talks about preparing for just .
I haven't seen that much of Simpkin.
At VFL level was Simpkin a negator or someone who also takes the game on ?
Is he quick ?
In my view you wouldn't say he was quick but he has little problem sticking tight to his man, and more of a negating style with ability to control play/direction under pressure. He's pretty brutal. Hits hard and has heavy fists. He showed last week he can get forward and kick a goal.

Reckon stats in last two games Saints would be leading in hit outs of non-ruckman. Obviously something the team has been working on.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin will be a fan favourite I'm tipping.

Angry bloke.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Sobraz
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:Simpkin will be a fan favourite I'm tipping.

Angry bloke.
Im liking this...

I have been quick to question his skill level as his profile has grown, and Im still not sure he has the tool kit to make it at the top, but if he plays hard and fearless footy, and is physical, I'd be happy to back him in and see if he can settle...

I'd love to see him develop in a more aggessive, Sam Fisher type backman with less class, but more crash and bash... Useful type...

All the best to the fella...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:

Angry bloke.
Im liking this...

I have been quick to question his skill level as his profile has grown, and Im still not sure he has the tool kit to make it at the top, but if he plays hard and fearless footy, and is physical, I'd be happy to back him in and see if he can settle...

I'd love to see him develop in a more aggessive, Sam Fisher type backman with less class, but more crash and bash... Useful type...

Maybe Bakes could mentor him

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

Angry bloke.
Im liking this...

Maybe Bakes could mentor him
Well they are both Colac boys :wink: