Michael Nettlefold on Footy Classified

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:RL is contracted for 2012 but apparently he has a get-out clause is his contract. A clause he must have requested.

Is that the fault of journalists or ex-coaches? Wouldn't you ask why he has had this written into his contract?

St Kilda has stood behind RL when times were tough, backed him to the hilt, resourced him as well as is possible at our club.

The club has been loyal to a fault. Now it's up to him.
I've got to say Saints43, I'm with you on this.

If he leaves, I'm afraid he's the bad guy in my book. Not the club.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:There is no one better at this stage to take this club further. The club needs stability. Its a sign to our members and the football world that we can indeed resign our second greatest coach in our history. I feel great satisfaction that this core team bar Ball who was not considered an a Lister has been retained for the first time in our history. No Lockett or Ian stewart departures. we have shown a strong culture and an ability to retain our best players, now its time to retain our coach.

This theory of a coach having his time is crap. Sir Alex Ferguson has been at Man Utd since 1985, the coach stays if he is the right man, players come and go. we would only be able to attract a recycled coach like Rocket eade or a start up coach and we as a club dont need that.

I dont see anyone better in my view, he has the respect of the players and we need stability and strength now as we head into the twighlight of this great core group of players that have been together since 2003.

Give him what he wants within reasonable parameters, if they dont they are crazy.

My sentiments exactly Vazelos.

Bomber Thompson was in his 7th year when he took his 1st flag with Geelong.

Retaining Ross is not only vital for our stability, but it also sends a strong message to the rest of the football community that we are no longer the rabble they think we are.

If we really want to show the rest of them that we now have a strong culture (which we've known for some time anyway) then signing Ross up is a damn good way of staring them down.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Missed it last night. Thanks Thunda for the thread.

To me, it was a spiritless perfomance by MN. He had the opportunity to really talk positively about the Club's intent to keep Ross, but it all sounded wishy-washy to me. He should have been more positive and forthright, instead of feeble.

I heard the words repeatedly about "being contracted for 2012" and "spirit of the contract," but it wasn't "from the heart" stuff.

MN's words and body language communicated to me that there may well be unstable ground behind-the-scenes on this.

Legendary
Club Player

Malthouse coached Collingwood for a decade before he won a flag with them, including 2 losing GF's and two losing Prelim finals.

I reckon it's pretty simple.

There aren't a lot of good coaches around. If you find one (and I believe Lyon is one), you keep him. Long term. He will eventually deliver.

An interesting fact ...

Ross Lyon has been in the coaches box in 5 of the last 7 AFL Grand Finals.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup and the club wont offer him a contract till the end of 2015

what a bunch of flogs
f*** me, how did malthouse become some successful??
oh thats right, eddie backed him and he was at the club thru all the bad and the good
what about thompson?
was in the firing line a few years ago
club stuck fat
delivered two premierships

we've hit the hard road nearly made it and we cant back the coach in for another 3 years extension???

i hope this is all piss in the wind and he signs
all this talk from that other site, yet his management says they will meet with him in the next few days

so someone is telling porkies

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Westaway made PUBLIC announcements a few years ago questioning Lyon's coaching methods and our style of play etc...etc...

It would be reasonable to assume that the current board run by clown Westaway offered an extension and included get out clauses for both parties when the initial contract signed by the previous administration was updated

Back to last night

WHYON EARTH WOULD NETTLEFOLD GO ON THAT SHOW AND THEN NOT HAVE DEFINITIVE ANSWERS TO BACK IT UP?

because he knows that the foot first clowns have screwed things up when the new contract was extended by including this stupid get out clause

probably because Westaway among others were not 100% convinced.... arking back to his public bleatings about our style of play yada yada

Now it looks as though these dumbed down, dingbats of discombobulation have completely screwed things up.

Why on earth would you not offer Lyon a four year extension?

Melbourne offering five years and apparently the best these clowns come up with is a two year extension.

The previous board found Lyon!

The current board looks like losing him!

What a bunch of clowns!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Westaway made PUBLIC announcements a few years ago questioning Lyon's coaching methods and our style of play etc...etc...

It would be reasonable to assume that the current board run by clown Westaway offered an extension and included get out clauses for both parties when the initial contract signed by the previous administration was updated

Back to last night

WHYON EARTH WOULD NETTLEFOLD GO ON THAT SHOW AND THEN NOT HAVE DEFINITIVE ANSWERS TO BACK IT UP?

because he knows that the foot first clowns have screwed things up when the new contract was extended by including this stupid get out clause

probably because Westaway among others were not 100% convinced because arking back to his public bleatings about our style of play yada yada

Now it looks as though these dumbed down, dingbats of discombobulation have completely screwed things up.

Why on earth would you not offer Lyon a four year extension?

Melbourne offering five years and apparently the best these clowns come up with is a two year extension.

The previous board found Lyon!

The current board looks like losing him!

What a bunch of clowns!
Why do we have to react to or match what Melbourne is (allegedly) offering?

Since when have the Demons won a reputation as a superbly administered club?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Doc said in part :
Agree Doc, but the young Demons list, plus say a 5 year
"big bucks" contract could be attractive, especially if there are "divisions" at the Saints.

Perhaps there are misgivings within the Saints Board, too many contract "conditions," too short a term (1 +2), or general differences on future strategy and the amount of say that Ross has ??

Who knows? We will find out soon enough. Let's hope that Ross stays.
[/quote]

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:The Doc said in part :
Agree Doc, but the young Demons list, plus say a 5 year
"big bucks" contract could be attractive, especially if there are "divisions" at the Saints.

Perhaps there are misgivings within the Saints Board, too many contract "conditions," too short a term (1 +2), or general differences on future strategy and the amount of say that Ross has ??

Who knows? We will find out soon enough. Let's hope that Ross stays.
I know JO but the point is we need to assess everything and, assuming we want him to continue, make Ross our best offer.

We shouldn't be simply trying to outdo the "clowns" at MFC as B4E appears to be suggesting we do.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: We shouldn't be simply trying to outdo the "clowns" at MFC as B4E appears to be suggesting we do.
"clowns " at Melbourne LOL

Yeah our genius CEO has it all under control with his " spirit of the contract"
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Why not offer Ross Lyon a five year deal?

We need to rebuild which means a coach would genuinely need a longer contract than the apparent three years our dumbed down, dingbats of discombobulation are offering.

We need to keep Lyon or be very prepared for a mass exodus of players when the free agency kicks in.

Scenario = 2016 we are down the bottom of the ladder, the membership is under 30,000 and everyone will wonder how did this happen?

A. Footy First + Seaford

Seaford is a factor for players and coaches whether any numbnut on here recognizes it or not.

And even in this instance Ross Lyon could move to Melbourne and have a five minute drive to training or stay at St kilda where have to drive for over an hour and a half most days of the week.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Doc said :
I know JO but the point is we need to assess everything and, assuming we want him to continue, make Ross our best offer.
Unfortunately Doc, I've seen this sort of thing occur many times. If everyone is on the same page, with respect for each other, the deal gets done. It's when there are uncertainties, conflicting views, too many demands (as in conditions), that trust diminishes and the parties move on.

The longer it takes, and/or the lack of strong supportive messages from the Club, the less likelehood there is of a good outcome - unfortunately.

If he goes, the Club will lose big time over the next few years.

older saint
SS Life Member

JUst watched MN on footy classified.

What a weak insipid performance. Danced around questions likea politician. Clearly the club is trying to play hard ball with the contract, you know what the clubis not in a position to play hardball!!

We have one of the best 2-3 coaches in the AFL, who wants to be here and the club wants to quible over 1 year. Mark williams took 10 to win a flag, as did Malthouse .

Implossion could occur and if so MN mustbe gone as he ahs shown as much leadership as CEO as Julie Gillard!

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

If Nettlefold and the current administration don't offer Lyon a mimimum 3 year extension on his contract, they MUST be kicked out.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:

"Luke Ball," anyone? No one expected him to go. He was undervalued and was expected to stay in line and take what the saints offered him. But he didn't.

Maybe the Board isn't happy with Lyon about that!

And so they make it right by spitefully making exactly the same mistake? Great leadership there.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't ALL that long ago....round six or so? that many Saints fans were doubting Lyon's abilities...remember the Warne rant??? Some folk have short mamories when it comes down to Ross Lyon and his tenure here

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:It wasn't ALL that long ago....round six or so? that many Saints fans were doubting Lyon's abilities...remember the Warne rant??? Some folk have short mamories when it comes down to Ross Lyon and his tenure here
My mamories are quite ok thank-you!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:hungry for a premiership wrote:

"Luke Ball," anyone? No one expected him to go. He was undervalued and was expected to stay in line and take what the saints offered him. But he didn't.

Maybe the Board isn't happy with Lyon about that!

And so they make it right by spitefully making exactly the same mistake? Great leadership there.
No, maybe they saw that call as critical in us being beaten in the 2010 Grand Final?

Wouldn't be spite. Could just be that he f***ed up in their eyes and therefore doesn't deserve yet another extension!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:If Nettlefold and the current administration don't offer Lyon a mimimum 3 year extension on his contract, they MUST be kicked out.

They should have been booted when they relocated the club to Seaford for gross stupidity!

AND NOW if they cannot manage to secure the services of the coach they inherited from the previous board's appointment then they should all resign en masse effective immediately!

Quote Nettlefold " spirit of the contract "

Can you believe this shyte

FAIR DINKUM

Seems obvious Ross Lyon is going which is why Nettlefold agreed to appear on FC to try and put out some PR spin for the numbnuts and apologist clowns in a feeble attempt to show the club is doing all they can yada, yada blah, blah, blah

Why else would you go on there when the issue is NOT sorted in our favour?

Anyone with half a brain could see the spin backfired because basically these incompetent idiots led by CLOWN Westaway put in get out clauses

Now Nettlefold is rabbiting on about " spirit of the contract"

Seriously can people not see how unbelievably naive this is?

they trade on dumb, clueless gits, it's how these snakeoil merchants got elected to begin with

Spirit of the contract counts for shyte when there is a GET OUT CLAUSE and the other party is offering a five year deal as opposed to three with conditions for starters!

"Spirit of the contract" how many times did he trot that out

:shock:

About time everyone woke up, this board is clueless

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Still bitter about them taking the joint over hey Barks? You need to get over it ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

mamories? :oops: :oops: :roll: WHERE was my brain then? hmmmmmm :wink:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)