ROSS DIDN'T DECEIVE US

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
saintly wrote:in may in the newspaper he emphatically states that he is contracted for 2012 and he would stay for the contract.
He was headhunted and he said he did not know about the Freo/Mark Harvey arrangement. Anyone could see that.
He knew enough about Mark Harvey's 'arrangement' to no include his management team due to conflict of interest!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SainterK wrote:Wonder why didn't the other clubs go for him?

Melbourne, Freo, Dogs?
Dogs have Leon Cameron. Dees may have respected the process or RL wasn't interested and Freo got their man.

I'm guessing.
I just don't get a vibe any of them were even interested.
I'd doubt any club that needs members and to rebuild a young list would be interested.

Why would they?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Melbourne, Freo, Dogs?
Dogs have Leon Cameron. Dees may have respected the process or RL wasn't interested and Freo got their man.

I'm guessing.
I'd doubt any club that needs members and to rebuild a young list would be interested.

Why would they?
I think every club would be interested if they new he was available.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Melbourne, Freo, Dogs?

I'm guessing.

Why would they?
How come Freo was the only club who knew? Were they the only ones who read the papers?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Melbourne, Freo, Dogs?

I'm guessing.

Why would they?
How come Freo was the only club who knew? Were they the only ones who read the papers?
I dont know all the coaching dicussions going on with RL or his management. Can you tell us about them.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Melbourne, Freo, Dogs?

I'm guessing.

Why would they?
I dont know all the coaching dicussions going on with RL or his management. Can you tell us about them.
Are you and B4E the same, really stupid, person?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Melbourne, Freo, Dogs?

I'm guessing.

Why would they?
Are you and B4E the same, really stupid, person?
You really do come up with excellent answers sometimes.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Riewoldt conceded that, in hindsight, it would have been ''great'' if the club had acted sooner to re-sign Lyon

Teammate Brendon Goddard said he did not have a bad word to say about Lyon
''I just think it's quite disappointing that it had to get to this stage … it's just sad that we had to get to this point and lose a quality coach and a quality person,'' he said on Channel Nine's Sunday Footy Show.

We've lost a great coach that we should've had contractually locked up, it seems he didn't technically break his contract, rather he exercised a (club inserted) get-out clause, yes he walked away and it was ugly and nasty, and seemingly unethical and mercenary in its execution, but there was obviously some serious friction between him and the board....

It's done, we move on... but let's not pretend this is a good outcome and we're well rid of him, or we couldn't/shouldn't have prevented it. It's a f**k up, plain and simple. Hope we don't follow it with another.

EXACTLY!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Seems there are a lot of people who live in the heads of the people involved.

How?

I don't see a f*** up of any kind. I can't. I don't know what was said to whom. None of us on here do (except for Barks, that is. He appears to know everything except how to assemble his own ticket to overthrow the existing board.)

At 1.5 and 8 what Board at what club would even CONTEMPLATE offering a 4 year deal to any coach?

At 1.5 and 8 what kind of coach could be so full of his own poo odour to possibly even think a four year deal was a remote possibility?

I see an unpredictable set of circumstances in the end driven to fruition by the mercenary act of a disgruntled egoist. I also see a Board simply doing what it thought was understandably correct at the time.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: We've lost a great coach that we should've had contractually locked up, it seems he didn't technically break his contract, rather he exercised a (club inserted) get-out clause, yes he walked away and it was ugly and nasty, and seemingly unethical and mercenary in its execution, but there was obviously some serious friction between him and the board....

It's done, we move on... but let's not pretend this is a good outcome and we're well rid of him, or we couldn't/shouldn't have prevented it. It's a f**k up, plain and simple. Hope we don't follow it with another.
I can't agree with you there Markp.

I don't think it was a f*** up for a start. I don't think he is a great coach secondly, and thirdly I'm personally really pleased with the outcome!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think Ross made up his mind the day Chris Pelchen was appointed. I don't think the idea of having a boss sat too well with someone seeking an unconditional contract.
Life goes on. Only us and Adelaide in the race and there seem to be a number of worthy candidates. No need to rush. Talk to everyone, interview the best of them and pick the best of the best applicants.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
markp wrote: We've lost a great coach that we should've had contractually locked up, it seems he didn't technically break his contract, rather he exercised a (club inserted) get-out clause, yes he walked away and it was ugly and nasty, and seemingly unethical and mercenary in its execution, but there was obviously some serious friction between him and the board....

I can't agree with you there Markp.

I don't think it was a f*** up for a start. I don't think he is a great coach secondly, and thirdly I'm personally really pleased with the outcome!
Looks to me like we offered the guy exactly what he asked for 6 months earlier, but as we gave him a get out clause and a reason he was headhunted by another club who believe he's worth about $1.5 million a year, not bad for a not great coach, and probably twice as much as we could've got him to stay for earlier.

Now we're joining the crowded hunt for a new coach totally on the hop and well behind the rest, as we head towards preseason, trading and draft periods....

If that doesn't at least resemble a f**k up, I'm buggered if I know what would.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Now we're joining the crowded hunt for a new coach totally on the hop and well behind the rest, as we head towards preseason, trading and draft periods.
Thanks Ross.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree Mark.

IMO, Ross had no intention ever of staying beyond this year.

You can't persuade a guy to stay that doesn't want to.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no crowd anymore
dogs will sign this morn and crows are hunting burns over in perth
we'll be the only ones left this week i reckon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't agree Mark.

How do you know that?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Looks to me like we offered the guy exactly what he asked for 6 months earlier, but as we gave him a get out clause and a reason he was headhunted by another club who believe he's worth about $1.5 million a year, not bad for a not great coach, and probably twice as much as we could've got him to stay for earlier.

We didn't offer him exactly what he wanted at all. I strongly doubted he wanted Pelchin looking over his shoulder.

It's my opinion that he's not a great coach. Clearly, the Freo board disagree though!

Time will tell.
markp wrote: Now we're joining the crowded hunt for a new coach totally on the hop and well behind the rest, as we head towards preseason, trading and draft periods....
That happened to us last time too though, and we were in the Grand Final 2 years later. So it's not the end of the world.

And we have Pelchen to look after this stuff anyway so not having the senior coach there isn't as bad as it seems.

Having said that, would you trust Lyon during another trade week? His track record wasn't exactly good!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

So when he wanted a four year deal in April and the board refused to sign, he was only fudging?

markp
Saintsational Legend

'No intention ever'?.... so what was his request 6 months ago about?... was he bluffing?

I think he was open to leaving and open to staying, as time went on he obviously gravitated more to the latter...something p!ssed him off and he took a much better offer because he could.

My point is we've lost out here, we're not in a better position, or likely to be, and we blew the deal when we had a shot... now we're behind the eight ball big-time... = a f**k up.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
markp wrote: Looks to me like we offered the guy exactly what he asked for 6 months earlier, but as we gave him a get out clause and a reason he was headhunted by another club who believe he's worth about $1.5 million a year, not bad for a not great coach, and probably twice as much as we could've got him to stay for earlier.

We didn't offer him exactly what he wanted at all. I strongly doubted he wanted Pelchin looking over his shoulder.

It's my opinion that he's not a great coach. Clearly, the Freo board disagree though!

Time will tell.
markp wrote: Now we're joining the crowded hunt for a new coach totally on the hop and well behind the rest, as we head towards preseason, trading and draft periods....
That happened to us last time too though, and we were in the Grand Final 2 years later. So it's not the end of the world.

And we have Pelchen to look after this stuff anyway so not having the senior coach there isn't as bad as it seems.

Having said that, would you trust Lyon during another trade week? His track record wasn't exactly good!
The Pelchin thing is pure conjecture... has anyone involved even mentioned it?

The board were obviously willing to trust him during trade week and beyond, cos they offered him a 4 year unconditional deal.

But yep, time will tell.... I hope the next guy is a worthy replacement, as it stands that's all in play and a long way from being determined.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: The board were obviously willing to trust him during trade week and beyond, cos they offered him a 4 year unconditional deal.

But yep, time will tell.... I hope the next guy is a worthy replacement, as it stands that's all in play and a long way from being determined.
My opinion, (and it's only that, nothing more) is that Lyon is a very good leader. He can get players to do what he wants them to do. This obviously, is a critical part of being a coach.

My opinion is that it's what he wanted them to do, that was flawed. It was ahead of the game in 09 and brilliant. In 2010 it had fallen behind, and by 2011 it was done and dusted.

My view is that the Board wanted to keep him for his leadership and the stability factor, but wanted him to change some things. Recruitment I'd guess, and his style of play I believe.

For a club to try to market that style of footy, especially when it's not winning games of footy anymore, must be incredibly difficult.

So my thoughts are that they'd have been happy to keep him if he did things differently. But I don't think he wanted to do things differently.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

So when he wanted a four year deal in April and the board refused to sign, he was only fudging?
If he wasn't fudging, he was certainly dreaming.

Players with their wangers out, stars on the wane, GC above us on the ladder...

All in all 4 yr unconditional was a fair ask don't you think?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:in may in the newspaper he emphatically states that he is contracted for 2012 and he would stay for the contract.
lyon was contracted for 2012.

keep in mind rattan and clarkson were both NOT contracted for 2012 and only made deals in the last few weeks .

So lyon was already in negotitions for 2013-2016. So saints were hardly dragging their feet - we were a full 12 months ahead of the hawks and the blues.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

'No intention ever'?.... so what was his request 6 months ago about?... was he bluffing?

I think he was open to leaving and open to staying, as time went on he obviously gravitated more to the latter...something p!ssed him off and he took a much better offer because he could.

My point is we've lost out here, we're not in a better position, or likely to be, and we blew the deal when we had a shot... now we're behind the eight ball big-time... = a f**k up.
I believe so.

Is it so hard to fathom that he was bluffing, when he was the one that asked for the contract, yet was also the one who asked for talks to be put on hold?

I think he was strategic enough to look beyond next year, and assess his value at the end of a potential 3-4 year tenure at the Saints.

I mean, he is the one pushing the 'career coach' message an awful lot.

I don't think it would of done his career any good to stay at the Saints, and if simple old me can work that out...it's not beyond him is it?