Gary Ayres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Haters are just jealous of his hair

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What we need in a coach is ability.....Nothing else

Watters, cameron, sumich......none have as good a record as
Williams, Eade, Ayres.....not a single afl game victory....none have failed as coach.....none have succeeded

They would be a gamble....can we gamble and hope with an ageing list with a closing window for this group

Or do we throw the baby out with the bath water and start again....which will take 5 years

We did this in 2000....amost worked...but this time around, if we bottom out....we will not get riewoldt, koschitzke, ball, clarke, dal santo, maguire, montagna, goddard......in the space of three years

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Haters are just jealous of his hair
It's the only thing in his favour.

Premierships these days are not won by coaches who are follicly challenged :P

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

15 players in the williamstown team had played afl this year.....and a couple of others on the bulldogs list (including mitch hahn who has played 180 afl games) of their VFL players three had previous afl experience

Basically a team of full time footballers vs an amateur team

A very good amatuer team though

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:15 players in the williamstown team had played afl this year.....and a couple of others on the bulldogs list (including mitch hahn who has played 180 afl games) of their VFL players three had previous afl experience

counted for shite in the end....

McCartney hasn't got much to work with, no wonder the dogs are crap....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dont be so quick to write them off.....they are a bot like us....a few of there stars were struggling this year

They still have quality on their list

Cooney, griffen, boyd, lake, murphy, cross, morris

Some of their kids show a bit

Wood, jones, libba, picken

Actually, your right.....they are up against it

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:15 players in the williamstown team had played afl this year.....and a couple of others on the bulldogs list (including mitch hahn who has played 180 afl games) of their VFL players three had previous afl experience

could we have afforded less to gamble when we took a punt on Lyon who turned out to be the best coach weve had since jeans?

Eade is the longest serving coach for no flag - why???? EVERYBODY knows teh Bulldogs were easy to beat when you applied full press defensive pressure and they struggles to overcome it - their coach had NO idea. EVERYONE knows the Dogs under Eade loved to run fwd of the ball and looked flashy when allowed time/space to hit up perfect pass footy. Problem for Eade was the game had changed - he didnt.

What guys like Watters and Co DO have (as Lyon did) is first hand experience with succesful AFL sides for Flags under extremely good coaches in an environment that IS the best in the AFL. They also are younger which IMO is important relating to younger players.

Eade, Ayres, and co have had their shot.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I like the idea of getting Ayres at the Saints. While we're at it does anyone one know what Ronald Dale is up to these days?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:He's certainly not a cabbage. peole also learn from their mistakes.
I would be wary of him as senior coach. But I'd certainly have him as an assistant and steady hand. Clearly he has some ability as a coach and person.
seriously going for Ayres and we are digging the bottom of the barrell...FFS......
He is miles from the bottom of the barrel. He's not at the top. but way closer to the top than bottom. If he is such a cabbage how come he just won a flag with a young side? If it was that easy everyone would do it. He has also got a 55% win loss at afl level.

As I said I agree we should go for someone more current as senior coach.

But I'm very comfortable with ayres in a mentor role.

Best thing about him is he is still hungry for an afl flag. Would be a good mentor to a first time coach (like watters, burns etc ).

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:He's certainly not a cabbage. peole also learn from their mistakes.
I would be wary of him as senior coach. But I'd certainly have him as an assistant and steady hand. Clearly he has some ability as a coach and person.
seriously going for Ayres and we are digging the bottom of the barrell...FFS......
He is miles from the bottom of the barrel. He's not at the top. but way closer to the top than bottom. If he is such a cabbage how come he just won a flag with a young side? If it was that easy everyone would do it. He has also got a 55% win loss at afl level.

Best thing about him is he is still hungry for an afl flag. Would be a good mentor to a first time coach (like watters, burns etc ).
Waters has had a pretty good mentor the last couple of years. Why would we get Ayers to mentor Waters when Ayers has been out of the AFL for 4 years. That would be disrespectful to Waters.

Getting Ayres would put us behind the industry standard by up to 10%. When 1 or 2% probably puts you out of the top four, that gap would put us down the bottom.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Waters has had a pretty good mentor the last couple of years. Why would we get Ayers to mentor Waters when Ayers has been out of the AFL for 4 years. That would be disrespectful to Waters.

Getting Ayres would put us behind the industry standard by up to 10%. When 1 or 2% probably puts you out of the top four, that gap would put us down the bottom.
well said.

wake me up when con catches up.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watters is untried

There is NO gaurantee he would be any good at all.....pure speculation

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Watters is untried

There is NO gaurantee he would be any good at all.....pure speculation
True. Ayers has tried and failed but lets go with him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

These assistant coaches......do they develop these plans......

A senior coach is not just simply implementing someone elses game plan....they develop one, oversee the assistants who help drive it....but above all....take responsibility for the final decisions..

Its not just a matter of getting someone to copy another team......might work if we had their list......but develop a style to fit our list....

Scott Watters may well be a good coach....but the last reason we should get him is because je was a collingwood assistant.....he needs to be good enough to be a senior coach at a different club to collingwood.....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:These assistant coaches......do they develop these plans......

A senior coach is not just simply implementing someone elses game plan....they develop one, oversee the assistants who help drive it....but above all....take responsibility for the final decisions..

Its not just a matter of getting someone to copy another team......might work if we had their list......but develop a style to fit our list....

Scott Watters may well be a good coach....but the last reason we should get him is because je was a collingwood assistant.....he needs to be good enough to be a senior coach at a different club to collingwood.....
Are you talking to me?

What you are saying is fine but that doesn't mean that Ayers will be successful. It's a completely different game.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i assumed this was a joke thread. some people seriously want to take abloke that has followed blight into two jobs and failed. seriously?
i'd rather have gt back. :shock:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What determines failure as a coach???

a Premiership??
Was Ross Lyon a Failure......why did Freo pay so much for a failure

Because your comment is contradictory.....

GT never coached a Grand Final......let alone a Premiership
Eade and Ayres did coach in Grand Finals.....both have a better than 50% win/loss.....gt does not....

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

its interesting how the knockers of Ayres are so in favor with Watters who has not coached an AFL game. Since when does an Untried coach equal a premiership!

Yes Ayres has not won an AFL premiership but neither had a few big named coaches before they went to a second or even third club.

I think what he has managed to achieve this year what really is classed as almost impossible. That is to go the whole year undefeated deserves a little bit of credit.

So what if he has been out of the AFL for 4 years, doesn't mean he is out of touch with the modern game.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote:Said it on another thread.

Have heard, from a usually reliable source with links to the club that he is

under serious consideration for a coaching role in some capacity.

Obviously waiting till this weekend is over before starting talks,but the

feelers have been put out apparently.
And given the sheer competence of our Board, I have an uneasy feeling that something like that may happen. Oh! Dear

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How did I get dragged in to being an ayres supporter. I didn't start the thread.
I just said I respected the bloke. People saying he is a cabbage etc are being miles too harsh.

For the record watters has 2 wafl flags and I'm more than happy to get him.

Neil craig and dean laidley are both working at afl clubs next year. Im just saying ayres would be no different to them in some capacity.

I never said he should be senior coach. Just that if we employed him in some capacity I am sure he could contribute and bring something to the table.

He's not a complete numpty. He's probably pretty good.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What determines failure as a coach???

a Premiership??
Was Ross Lyon a Failure......why did Freo pay so much for a failure

Because your comment is contradictory.....

GT never coached a Grand Final......let alone a Premiership
Eade and Ayres did coach in Grand Finals.....both have a better than 50% win/loss.....gt does not....
both teams went backwards under ayres. good lists too - the crows immediately improved when he got the boot. there's the failure. booted!
no one else came calling. vfli is a fair whack under sanfl level, let alone afl.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Vfl lower than sanfl

Seriously.......vfl beates the other state leagues without any afl listed players....which make up 70 percent of teams...

Sanfl, wafl.....best players are delisted afl players or those not good enough to get drafted

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

sorry, but the sanfl is the better comp. it attracts bigger crowds, pays over the top for players, and attracts better players as a result.
last time the two teams met it was a smashing.
showng a bit of vic bias perhaps?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Well there you go, I thought the WAFL was the strongest comp - only need to look at how many get drafted to AFL - both young and mature age recruits
WAFL
SANFL
VFL

Hold your ground :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Come on guys

Just have a look at the teams.....most players playing VFL dont get drafted because they are drafted....

VFL teams consist of either afl players, ex afl players or future afl players....

Even a vfl team with no AFL listed players still beats the other two.....

Isnt Michael Rix one of the best players in the WAFL.....the 4 ruckmen in todays game were all better players than a 31yo Rix

Crowds....what has that to do with anything??
People have up to 5 games of AFL to think about in victoria and their afl team plays in victoria 17 out pf 22 weeks pre year....interstate teams play away fortnightly

Money....most vfl players are paid by afl teams as they are listed

And BTW
i am NOT victorian