Swans pushing for walsh hard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Very sorry to say guys but its line ball sydney are offering a lot
I don't understand how the rookie system works. Do they have to trade to get him or can he just walk and enter the draft? Coz our pick is before Sydney's.
They have to trade with us or he can nominate in the draft with a price tag - that would be a big risk on his and their behalf cos then he could land with anyone willing and able to pay
Thats my understanding
Cool thanks. How close to the club is your source? Coz I'm hearing nothing about this rumour whatsoever. They made mention of it yesterday that there were a few clubs (Melb, Syd & Rich) having a sniff around but nothing transpired. To me, it seems this rumour has derailed and not escalated as you've suggested.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Maybe someone should contact him on behalf of saintsational and say we will sponsor him again next year if he stays :D

Sainter for life.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I am hearing it from a mate at Sydney -

#1 Ryder fan
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Walsh goes.....

I hope Walsh stays, but if he leaves I really think we should take Fev on a one year contract. Roo needs support and IMO Fev in the Goal square will draw a few defenders and free up Roo to play his true game. I agree with other members that he's being ruined under the current game plan.

cheers,
Last edited by ShanghaiSaint on Fri 14 Oct 2011 6:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I know

Let's make contact with a genuine star of Gaelic footy.

Let's court and woo him for 12 months in the hope he agrees to join our club.

Let's spend 2 years teaching him the game.

Once a successful apprenticeship has been completed, let's allow the club that stole Tony Lockett and Barry Hall from us pick him up.

Then les go to a crap Draft with crap picks and try to find a young kid to groom as a key forward.

Yep, that sounds like a plan! :shock:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Fev. Gawd, I hope not. Our blokes have caused enough strife in the media. We dont need Fev's help. I would rather we draft some like Julian Dobosz, from Tassy, Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 17/11/1992
Recruited from: North Hobart . Said to have that full forward ability that very few have. Reads the ball well and is incredibly quick. Was a big time goal kicker during the year. Needs to improve his defensive work though. Believed to go towards the end of Round 1, or early Round 2. Sounds like a good one for us.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I find humorous the arseholes on here who think this is hysteria, ignorant of what a good prospect Walsh is.
Not back page news and many threads worth of discussion for no reason.
I was furious at Lyon for not playing Walsh against North Melbourne (2nd) and I understand those who blame Lyon for not imbedding him further into the club by giving the guy a shot.
For the first time with confidence I can say I am glad Lyon has gone. Albeit slightly retrospectively.
If Lyon was still here there would be no chance of keeping Walsh imo.
I have seen Walsh play many times, and the man is deserved.
Lets hope the leadership group are all over him.
Disgusted even talking about this!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
markp
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Very sorry to say guys but its line ball sydney are offering a lot
I don't understand how the rookie system works. Do they have to trade to get him or can he just walk and enter the draft? Coz our pick is before Sydney's.
They have to trade with us or he can nominate in the draft with a price tag - that would be a big risk on his and their behalf cos then he could land with anyone willing and able to pay
Thats my understanding
To me that would indicate it's highly unlikely.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I find humorous the arseholes on here who think this is hysteria, ignorant of what a good prospect Walsh is.
I was furious at Lyon for not playing Walsh against North Melbourne (2nd) and I understand those who blame Lyon for not imbedding him further into the club by giving the guy a shot.
For the first time with confidence I can say I am glad Lyon has gone. Albeit slightly retrospectively.
So you think one or two games by a coach that isnt with us anymore would make him feel embedded into our club. Lets face it if Walsh wants to leave it will be about money and not because he didnt get a game last year. Without even slightly knowing i am guessing that Walsh was being paid very well as a rookie as I think only half needs to be on the salary cap or maybe even nothing. Next year he will most likely be promoted and as we are struggling with the SC he will probably get the minimum which may be a drop in salary. But hey lets just blame RL if it makes people feel better.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
millarsaint wrote:I find humorous the arseholes on here who think this is hysteria, ignorant of what a good prospect Walsh is.
So you think one or two games by a coach that isnt with us anymore would make him feel embedded into our club. Lets face it if Walsh wants to leave it will be about money and not because he didnt get a game last year. Without even slightly knowing i am guessing that Walsh was being paid very well as a rookie as I think only half needs to be on the salary cap or maybe even nothing. Next year he will most likely be promoted and as we are struggling with the SC he will probably get the minimum which may be a drop in salary. But hey lets just blame RL if it makes people feel better.
You work at a company, you work hard and do good work, those around you are promoted and you are not. You feel hostile knowing how s*** hot you are. This is not how human psychology works? I think you get the general idea. It is a subject of discussion that we may lose Walsh. No one can say for sure we won't. If we do, considering the strong desire from a large number of fans to see Walsh play last season, vote of confidence missing from previous coach is enough to make a player grumpy. Ask Ball.

Not just that. My feeling is that Lyon could have responded more truly to upcoming talent if he weren't so focussed on a descending tried and trusted.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
You work at a company, you work hard and do good work, those around you are promoted and you are not. You feel hostile knowing how s*** hot you are. This is not how human psychology works? I think you get the general idea. It is a subject of discussion that we may lose Walsh. No one can say for sure we won't. If we do, considering the strong desire from a large number of fans to see Walsh play last season, vote of confidence missing from previous coach is enough to make a player grumpy. Ask Ball.

Not just that. My feeling is that Lyon could have responded more truly to upcoming talent if he weren't so focussed on a descending tried and trusted.
I could nearly say the exact opposite. If I wasnt promted at my work and then the person who wouldnt promote me left I would stay at the company and back myself to get the promotion I thought I was entitled too. As I said he was to leave it is more likely to be about money than a person who isnt even at the club anymore. The Ball comarision holds little weight as RL was still at the club when he left.
Last edited by plugger66 on Fri 14 Oct 2011 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

saints66 wrote:
saintjake wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Even if Walsh does go, could you blame him? He's been given one tiny opportunity for us, and then probably wheeled out for the International series. Pretty pathetic I reckon.
He wasn't given any opportunity!
and he has not been selected in the International Series!
He is playing for Ireland, hope you didnt expect him to be selected for Australia :shock:

EDIT: Sorry didnt realize he didnt make the final squad!!!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:Maybe someone should contact him on behalf of saintsational and say we will sponsor him again next year if he stays :D
He's on twitter, contact him yourself :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:I am hearing it from a mate at Sydney -
Your credibility is at a low ebb with me. Just saying.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Why are they arseholes , i thought they were posters expressing an opinion...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Would it have made a difference if he had of played a Senior game? Look at Archer, he played just one, and he is still on the Senior List whereas Walsh has returned to the Rookie list.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

In a draft year where the opportunities are reportedly not that good, why not hang on to a "prospect" and give him the opportunity to perform. That there "is interest" from other Clubs, tells us that others see "opportunity."

Make sure that we keep Tommy this year. Give him some games so that he can show his abilities. If he is not good enough - ok. "But we haven't given him/us the opportunity."

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

This has got a whole Dermott McNichol feel to it. A lot of hype but we never get to see the guy play at the top level for us. Always an excuse, with McNichol it was a mysterious stomach muscle strain, with Walsh it has been an issue of structures. The reality of it all is that the guy is an athlete. Anyone who saw him play in that intraclub game at Moorabin early 2010 would have had grave misgivings about him ever playing anywhere, never mind the AFL. But at Sandringham in the second half of the season he has shown signs though that he could really be something.
On principle I don't want him to leave and go to another club. I think something that has been missing at St. Kilda of late, despite the excellence on field - yes, four grand finals including a draw and a narrow loss against one of the greatest teams ever, six prelims and nine finals series since 1997 is a fantastic effort - has been genuine excitement in the way that we play, and that feeling of the bond between players and supporters that existed when we were at Moorabbin and Waverley.
I reckon Walsh could be that X factor that brings the excitement back to St Kilda, just like Plugger did back in the 80s. I believe.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Fri 14 Oct 2011 11:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
So you think one or two games by a coach that isnt with us anymore would make him feel embedded into our club. Lets face it if Walsh wants to leave it will be about money and not because he didnt get a game last year. Without even slightly knowing i am guessing that Walsh was being paid very well as a rookie as I think only half needs to be on the salary cap or maybe even nothing. Next year he will most likely be promoted and as we are struggling with the SC he will probably get the minimum which may be a drop in salary. But hey lets just blame RL if it makes people feel better.......

If I wasnt promted at my work and then the person who wouldnt promote me left I would stay at the company and back myself to get the promotion I thought I was entitled too. As I said he was to leave it is more likely to be about money than a person who isnt even at the club anymore.....
The buck stops with the head coach..If we lose Walsh and he goes on to be good player at another club, it'll be another one of Ross's mistakes.

How would you think Walsh is rated amongst his peers?? How do senior players in an AFL team rate the rookies and the guys that haven't played many games? I'm sure they got some idea of his strengths and weaknesses from the Nab cup, but I'm sure Walshes standing amongst the senior Saints players and his rating within the club probably wasn't based on the players and assistant coaches heading down to Sandringham or other VFL venues each week...I'm not sure they'd have the time for that and with interstate matches, night matches and the VFL schedule clashing with the Saints AFL schedule it wouldn't have been possible most weeks.

Unlike the opposition scouts and recruiters and list managers, the main thing our club has to go by is the endorsement or lack there of from the head coach. His influence on the opinions of players and assistant coaches during the year would've been paramount. Seeings though Lyon didn't have the courage to try new players or develop debutants, Walsh may have felt - justifiably - that he wasn't going to get senior games and wasn't valued at our club. Therefore he may have begun his search for other clubs many weeks if not months ago...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1lpc0.html

Very, very concerning. If Walsh has seriously had a medical with Sydney then we're in trouble

PJ
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
So you think one or two games by a coach that isnt with us anymore would make him feel embedded into our club. Lets face it if Walsh wants to leave it will be about money and not because he didnt get a game last year. Without even slightly knowing i am guessing that Walsh was being paid very well as a rookie as I think only half needs to be on the salary cap or maybe even nothing. Next year he will most likely be promoted and as we are struggling with the SC he will probably get the minimum which may be a drop in salary. But hey lets just blame RL if it makes people feel better.......

If I wasnt promted at my work and then the person who wouldnt promote me left I would stay at the company and back myself to get the promotion I thought I was entitled too. As I said he was to leave it is more likely to be about money than a person who isnt even at the club anymore.....
The buck stops with the head coach..If we lose Walsh and he goes on to be good player at another club, it'll be another one of Ross's mistakes.

How would you think Walsh is rated amongst his peers?? How do senior players in an AFL team rate the rookies and the guys that haven't played many games? I'm sure they got some idea of his strengths and weaknesses from the Nab cup, but I'm sure Walshes standing amongst the senior Saints players and his rating within the club probably wasn't based on the players and assistant coaches heading down to Sandringham or other VFL venues each week...I'm not sure they'd have the time for that and with interstate matches, night matches and the VFL schedule clashing with the Saints AFL schedule it wouldn't have been possible most weeks.

Unlike the opposition scouts and recruiters and list managers, the main thing our club has to go by is the endorsement or lack there of from the head coach. His influence on the opinions of players and assistant coaches during the year would've been paramount. Seeings though Lyon didn't have the courage to try new players or develop debutants, Walsh may have felt - justifiably - that he wasn't going to get senior games and wasn't valued at our club. Therefore he may have begun his search for other clubs many weeks if not months ago...
I don't think Lyon didn't try new players/rookies - he just didn't try Walsh

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1lpc0.html

Very, very concerning. If Walsh has seriously had a medical with Sydney then we're in trouble
We would get him before Sydney in the PSD.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

Not if he stuck a big price on his head. Just the fact that he doesn't want to be at the club is a major concern. We need a coach announcement ASAP to bring some stability to the club.

PJ
SS Life Member

This article states twice that Walsh wants to move to Sydney - have they spoken to him or is this journalistic invention?

If he wants to move then it's hard ball time - do Sydney have a top 20 draft pick?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Not if he stuck a big price on his head. Just the fact that he doesn't want to be at the club is a major concern. We need a coach announcement ASAP to bring some stability to the club.
Or at least some senior players like Riewoldt to tell him they need him to stay. I dare say if push comes to shove St Kilda will pay close to Sydney's price and delist/trade more of the 14 uncontracted players.