When do we discuss the elephant in the room?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

carnasaints55 wrote:I'm confused as to what the fuss is about. The site was down for a few days and a couple months ago it was down for a bit longer. Is everyone so attached to an internet forum that they need to go absolutely crazy at battye for a problem he couldnt DIRECTLY control? Heres a thought: when SS is down, do something else--go outside and kick a footy, or read the newspaper. The temporary downing of an internet forum isn't such a big deal. The minute I'm asked for money, I'll contribute as much as I feel comfortable with and I'll shut up and let the people who know computers and control the server/host/whatever-its-called run the site. If something happens on the site that genuinely bothers me/i disagree with, I'll write to a mod and tell them. This should be a site where people share news/vids/pics/opinions about the sainters, not a corporation where we need to establish a 1-share 1-vote system. Just enjoy the ride and chill out when it goes down--its not worth getting mad about.

wheres the one share one vote system???
im asking to see what options are out there when the cash is asked for and what are the pros and cons of each host we could go with
imagine 500 peeps chipping in and each getting a vote??
we'd be waiting 8 months like MM does for the coin promised to sponsor players.

theres actually someone here (ss) or used to be here that would host this site for free or bugger all.
but it all fell on deaf ears i believe long ago

mehh

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:see jb is still bad mouthing me and other forum members on big footy....to me that should be a banning offence.....gazza has his number though ...along with that piece of s*** who threatened my family...

.why don't you insult me on this forum jb... :roll: :roll: :twisted:
lol, thought you were ignoring me? What a joke you are :roll:

having a cry about me posting on another site.

Insulting you? meh :roll: Laughed at you, derided you, but you insult yourself, I dont need to do it.

BTW, Milton and I are having a beer next season, PM me if you are willing to join us, you still have his number, give him a call :D :D Oh not a threat at all BTW, when I have a beer with people it is to discuss things, take it as an invitation.

Somehow i dont think you will front. :D :D

Oh dont respnd on a thread, because I just ignore your garbage. This is a one off to put your lies straight.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:theres actually someone here (ss) or used to be here that would host this site for free or bugger all.
Was never free.

The first few years were paid by a 'sponsor', and then a few loyal members contributed to the cost of running the place.

But tell me something, why are you so interested in wanting to have a say about who the site is hosted by? As long as it is up and running, what do you care? I'm sure battye is very capable at finding the correct host, as he is the one who can physically see what the site requires to be hosted correctly, not just the random voters who want their say.

They walk amongst us...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

double post
Last edited by matrix on Thu 17 Nov 2011 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i never said the site was free hsv
read the quote again

and why am i so interested?
because if you pay money for something you usually want to know what you are getting
yes, im sure battye is fine with making a decision about what to use and who to go with
but if you are asking for money is it not reasonable to see whats out there and what the site could have, do, look like and show the members the choices that are possible?

ultimately the decision will come down to admin no doubt and i think no one has a prob with that hsv
i apologise for showing an interest in the direction the site is going and who the site uses as a host

and of course admin makes the decision
i would just like to know what the host offers and what you can and cant do and what functions the new site would have
whats the problem with that??

Richter
SS Life Member

HSVKing wrote: But tell me something, why are you so interested in wanting to have a say about who the site is hosted by? As long as it is up and running, what do you care? I'm sure battye is very capable at finding the correct host, as he is the one who can physically see what the site requires to be hosted correctly, not just the random voters who want their say.
I have got to say that up until now I have been pretty happy to be led by the admin's choice and knowledge in this area. And by and large I still am. But I also see that Matrix has a point - not so much in the $ area, as I see that as a donation pure and simple - but rather in that the point is that the site has NOT been "up and running" - there have been recurrent issues.

Yes, we hope that it will be sorted out, but in the event that we change over and there problems in the future - not impossible - then there will be a lot of unhappy members of the forum who will feel pretty peeved. However, the sort of information that Battye has provided in the last page was IMO great. I am wiser about the subject of hosting now.

I would propose that Battye start a thread with a range of a few options for webhosting and ask people to debate the pro's and con's - then he can have a look at people's ideas - he doesn't necessary have to be all that involved in the discussion - and propose what option he prefers. We all get a say on that and consensus is reached - obviously admin get the final decision. I realise that some will disagree, but at least then people can feel listened to and involved to some degree in the running of the site.

For instance, Battye states
And yes you are right, if we take the site down no posts will be lost so that is an option too. I had been working under the assumption that users would prefer to keep posting even in the knowledge their last few posts might not stay but either way is fine. The longest part shouldn't be the upload to the new host, I think it will be either the software conversion or the actual restoration of the converted database
I would be of the view that we should close the site whilst the transfer over occurs. I'll go with the other option, of course, but will feel better about it if I have been able to have my say - sobeit if that is overruled by other with better arguments for their opinions.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

christ almighty id just like to know what the new host/site can do
everyones screaming for an ignore button (each to their own, i wont use it, but so what), can it embed youtube?, chat box at the top?, 24 support for admin if shite happens?, etc etc etc (plenty of other things)
good lord im not saying i think we should pick the bloody thing

id just like to know what it might look like and what it can do
maybe even some links to other sites that actually use the host in the same way we are looking at using it (forum based)

now im off to our secret club elsewhere
:shock:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

HSVKing wrote: why are you so interested in wanting to have a say about who the site is hosted by? As long as it is up and running, what do you care?
I think that is the very point we are making HSV.

Combine the outages, the hacking and the slow response that causes double posting, it falls just a tad short of being "up and running".

If it was ever-present so to speak, none of us would care about hosting and nearly all of us would chip in to keep it that way.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:christ almighty id just like to know what the new host/site can do
If that's the case I'm sure we have no problem with providing that information.

Previous comments have insinuated that by donating to the running of the site that people get a say in what the site contains. My point is that we don't want really want to try and have their say on what they want etc as that is just likely to cause more sh*t fights.

I'm sure battye will provide information on what the new features are and what can be done to personalise your viewing of this site.

I'm not saying don't have any input, I just don't want people having too much input and having to lock threads when they erupt like so often happens. I trust battye in choosing the correct server for the site, why would he want to go with another one which is just going to give us the grief that the current one has provided us with?

They walk amongst us...

Middo
Club Player

Is this real ....? :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Is this real ....? :roll: :roll:
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality
Open your eyes,
Look up to the skies and see,

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality
Open your eyes,
Forget it Grumps.

He's just a poor boy nobody loves him :P

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality
Open your eyes,
Forget it Grumps.

Yeah.... We should spare him his life from this monstrosity.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality
Open your eyes,
Forget it Grumps.

Yeah.... We should spare him his life from this monstrosity.
Easy come, easy go.

They walk amongst us...

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Thunderbolts and lightening ,
Opinions are very frightening

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
stinger wrote:see jb is still bad mouthing me and other forum members on big footy....to me that should be a banning offence.....gazza has his number though ...along with that piece of s*** who threatened my family...

.why don't you insult me on this forum jb... :roll: :roll: :twisted:
lol, thought you were ignoring me? What a joke you are :roll:

having a cry about me posting on another site.

Insulting you? meh :roll: Laughed at you, derided you, but you insult yourself, I dont need to do it.

BTW, Milton and I are having a beer next season, PM me if you are willing to join us, you still have his number, give him a call :D :D Oh not a threat at all BTW, when I have a beer with people it is to discuss things, take it as an invitation.

Somehow i dont think you will front. :D :D

Oh dont respnd on a thread, because I just ignore your garbage. This is a one off to put your lies straight.

if you want to have a beer with a piece of dog crap, who threatens families of posters on an internet forum go right ahead...i gave the lowlife's phone number to the afp.....shame they didn't do anything about it.....but it's still an offence in this country....scared of him or you.???..you have to be joking.....nor do i share a beer with creeps... :roll: :roll:

by the way....good times were they????...you weren't even in the discussion.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ooh yeah, ooh yeah
Nothing really matters
Anyone can see
Nothing really matters - nothing really matters to me

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:Thunderbolts and lightening ,
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round.*

* is it OK if this becomes a medley? The Bohemian Rhapsody refs seemed to have run their course. and it provides an opportunity to link to the JLH thread.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
gazrat wrote:Thunderbolts and lightening ,
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round.*

* is it OK if this becomes a medley? The Bohemian Rhapsody refs seemed to have run their course. and it provides an opportunity to link to the JLH thread.
On ya bike Cowdy :P

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

I can feel a pun fest coming on... Where's the emergency exit... I want to break free...

They walk amongst us...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:I can feel a pun fest coming on... Where's the emergency exit... I want to break free...

knock yourself out HSV

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:everyones screaming for an ignore button
If there would be one on here, I am sure that there would be one bully boy ...ffs :roll: :roll: ....ffs poster, I would be extremely never to see on this site again.

It would be great and some posters who have had to leave because of the baiting and provocation may even come back.

It would really improve the place and maybe the trolls and internet hero's would have to relieve their attention deprivation phobias somewhere else

Lance or James??

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Coz I'm free......free falling.......

stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
matrix wrote:everyones screaming for an ignore button
If there would be one on here, I am sure that there would be one bully boy ...ffs :roll: :roll: ....ffs poster, I would be extremely never to see on this site again.

It would be great and some posters who have had to leave because of the baiting and provocation may even come back.

It would really improve the place and maybe the trolls and internet hero's would have to relieve their attention deprivation phobias somewhere else
been looking in the mirror have we..????.because you have just described yourself here...and ...so it would seem ..on big footy...you are obsessed with me it would seem.....very unhealthy... :roll: :roll:

...it wasn't me that used the fact that ss was down to bag a fellow poster on bf ffs.... :evil:

for the record...your garbage mate didn't leave because of me...he was banned....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

These Queen songs are all well and good however have no real relevance to the title of his thread.

This one on the other hand :wink:

Listen, please listen, said the elephant
if we want the world we know, to stay alife
Then man and beast, we must work together
And together we will survive…..