Rookie Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ross who?
Club Player

savatage wrote:
Hammer wrote:Agree Marge looks good, hope we pick him.
Personally, I'd go with one ~25yo ruck with some body size, 2 mids and key def size. Just my opinion of course...
If we're gonna pick one from Sandy - he'd be the one.
Watched the majority of Sandy games this year.
Magner is the one from Sandy for me :wink: Looks heaps better than every other mid on the ground. Tagged most weeks and opposition coaches target him as the danger man for Sandy in the middle. Hard as nails.

Margliani is training hard but, don't get sucked in by his physique! Can play but I feel he is being overrated by some due to his size.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
savatage
SS Life Member

You do know that 'Rig' was injured for a good part of this year? Magner has the size and ball winning ability but I'm not sure about the speed at the top level. For that reason id put rig ahead of him as far as afl potential
But we'll see.

Ross who?
Club Player

savatage wrote:You do know that 'Rig' was injured for a good part of this year? Magner has the size and ball winning ability but I'm not sure about the speed at the top level. For that reason id put rig ahead of him as far as afl potential
But we'll see.
Yeah I know Rig was injured with his knee for lots this year, but didn't really grab my attention when he did play.
I reckon that Magner could extract it like a (dare I say it) Luke Ball type. 9/10 he is at the very bottom of the pack.
Look I would be happy if either got drafted. IMO Lenny needs more help at the bottom of the packs while Armo, Steven, Curren, Ross, etc. are developing. I think that requires a mature big body, therefore state league(VFL). I think from all the VFL games that I have watched in the last couple of years that Magner has been the best performed " extractor". Averaged over 30 poss per game and won Sandy b&f by a street.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armo still developing at 24yo and after 5 full seasons in the AFL system....

Magner is very good at VFL level, and consistently plays well...often using his strength inside to outpoint younger players....He would be exploited severley at AFL level by guys as big or bigger with twice the running ability......
not sure he could push the likes of
Dustin Martin, Dane Swan, Simon Black, Daniel Kerr, Matthew Boyd.....

In comparison to Armitage.....Armo is Bigger, more skilled and has a bigger tank....and what is scary, Armo is quicker.....and when Armo played his last games in the VFL (09/10).....He dominated

Dont get me wrong.....Magner is a good VFL player....but like Valenti, who he is not nearly as good as.....is not a good enough athlete to go with the big boys...

Marigliani is a much better prospect.....but even he would have limitations

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

history shows most of the players asked to train with us usually dont get picked by us ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
goodie
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:history shows most of the players asked to train with us usually dont get picked by us ...
Well we have got 7 guys training but only 4 spots

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:history shows most of the players asked to train with us usually dont get picked by us ...
I reckon only one of those 7 would get picked up. I will go with Dowler.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
goodie wrote:
I reckon only one of those 7 would get picked up. I will go with Dowler.
Keep in mind we need to keep one spot open for Chris Judd too, even if he has re-injured that troublesome shoulder.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How about the youngster Jackson Coleman. He is also training with us.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:How about the youngster Jackson Coleman. He is also training with us.
Well he must have been a late addition - I thought only this group were doing pre-season at the Saints:

Dowler, Magner, Marigliani, Ben Casley, James Hallahan, Danny Hughes, Michael Lourey.
Edit plus now Jack Crisp and Dylan Orval. (no mention of Coleman)
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 06 Dec 2011 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
saintly
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:How about the youngster Jackson Coleman. He is also training with us.
i don't think coleman is training with us!

busso mick
Club Player

saintly wrote:
i don't think coleman is training with us!
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

From this site we have

St Kilda
Ben Casley (GWS), Beau Dowler (Noble Park), James Hallahan (Sandringham), Danny Hughes (Sandringham), Michael Lourey (Sandringham), James Magner (Sandringham), Marcus Marigliani (Sandringham).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Do you think some of the training spots from Sandy are so that the guys playing with in our feeder group are given the idea of promotion which in turn pushes excellence from our listed players?

They seem to be making Sandy St kildas vfl team by stealth.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As he is from the Sandringham Dragons, and a junior, would he still have to be on the list?
It was posted here a week or so ago that he was training with us.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Do you think some of the training spots from Sandy are so that the guys playing with in our feeder group are given the idea of promotion which in turn pushes excellence from our listed players?

Are the Sandy players training with us atm also training with Sandy?
Or are Sandy not back at training yet?
If that is the case (not back yet) then we would seemingly be doing Sandy a huge favour by giving a number of their key players the benfit of extended AFL style training which will only assist them in the long run.

Maybe their training with us is actually nothing more than an attempt to strengthen our ties with Sandy?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
gringo wrote:Do you think some of the training spots from Sandy are so that the guys playing with in our feeder group are given the idea of promotion which in turn pushes excellence from our listed players?

Are the Sandy players training with us atm also training with Sandy?
Or are Sandy not back at training yet?
If that is the case (not back yet) then we would seemingly be doing Sandy a huge favour by giving a number of their key players the benfit of extended AFL style training which will only assist them in the long run.

Maybe their training with us is actually nothing more than an attempt to strengthen our ties with Sandy?
I would Sandy are back but it is still better to train at an AFL club than a VFL club. God knows how they get the time off work though.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sandy have been back for a while.
Posted by Saint Brat on 22.11.11. The total number of 2011 listed Dragons boys training with us to over 15 – The Dragons/Zebs relationship continues to prosper which we are extremely happy about.
This may include Jackson Coleman.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

tomorrow is rookie draft day
anyone heard anything from "reliable sources" about who we may pick up? 8-)

Sainter for life.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

According to information I have received it is Dowler, Magner, Hughes, and Fev.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:According to information I have received it is Dowler, Magner, Hughes, and Fev.
Hope we dont get Hughes. When kicking for goal it will come off the edge of his foot and go straight out on the full and be caught by a spectator.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:According to information I have received it is Dowler, Magner, Hughes, and Fev.
Hope we dont get Hughes. When kicking for goal it will come off the edge of his foot and go straight out on the full and be caught by a spectator.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

classic

Sainter for life.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Does Martin Guptill watch AFL? :lol:

The Saints are coming!
Spiro K

Fev? Please, borderbarry, say it ain't so!!

Well, if it is the case we have the right man to look after him. Didn't Scotty Waters work for a while looking after kids in the juvenile detention system in WA?

"Man must suffer to be wise or alternatively support the Saints." Aeschylus
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Why Fev is continually considered "criminal" I'm not sure. He is a twat with a gambling addiction but there is no suggestion that he is a crim is there?

If he gets a go elsewhere and we pull up just short everyone will be saying we should have got hold of him just like Cousins.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The problem with Magner... whilst I quite liked the romance of putting him on the list (Sandy guy... worked hard, earn't his spot etc), doesn't make sense to rookie him IMO.

He's ready now... you either want to play him or you don't... don't know if we need aging midfielders on our rookie list for depth.

Don't get me wrong... the guys a winner and I was disappointed we didn't get him in the draft.

Is there a point to rookie listing him though