Where is Nick Riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where is Nick Riewoldt?

Richter wrote:Again, I'm no expert, but my understanfdng from the limited info that the club and Nick himself have revealed is that he has a chronic degenerative cartilage problem. Basically the menisci that sit in the knee joint are flakey and this leads to floating bits of cartilage that accumulate within the joint causing pain and limitation to movement. it's the reason that he has regular arthroscopic clean-ups. but eventually, like Aaron Hamill there is a risk that all the cartilage will weat away and leave his knee joint being bone on bone = treatment is total knee replacement (or a 'knee transplant' as a mother of a friend of mine who recently had the surgery called it!). Obviously from both Aaron and Nick's sake we hope that their knees don't get that bad.... but it pretty common that they do...

AFAIK Lenny has had 2x ACL ruptures. In the old days i.e. even as little as a decade ago, this was an extremely tough injury to recover from. However, modern advances in surgical technique means that players can and do recover from not just one, but 2 or sometimes more ACL snaps - Lenny and David Rodan are both examples of this ability to come back - though it is unclear yet to what level Lenny will be able to play to following his second ACL repair...

im afraid you are correct richter.
nick is only going to get worse.
and people arent judging him on one game. he was awful most of last year .

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Th scary thing is that he and club think he is a value to the team playing like he is - how long before the blinkers come off. Honestly if he is not going to improve and he hasn't in 18 months the club would be better off if he retired and gave therm the opportunity to develop or recruit someone else to fill the void.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Mon 02 Apr 2012 6:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stkildajason3votes wrote:Legend of the club. Champion of the game. its sad to see bad supply and himself fumble the ball. Who can replace him? Maybe a few more years at CHB might prolong his career.
changin position wont help.
he has degenerative knees.
tendons can heal - but you cant re grow cartilage.
so his knees are much worse than lennys.

But you do not know any of that. His legs have little to do with how he is playing. He was pretty good yesterday anyway. the game has changed and he is getting older so he is finding it hard to play to a previous standard. Anyway it matters little. He is still one of our better players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Th scary thing is that he and club think he is a value to the team playing like he is - how long before the blinkers come off. Honestly if he is not going to improve and he hasn't in 18 months the club would be better off if he retired and gave therm the opportunity to develop or recruit someone else to fill the void.

I dont get these posts. he was probably in our best 6 yesterday and he is still our best tall forward and by a fair way. There are no blinkers on here. Who replaces this obviously seconds player? And how does him playing stop us recruiting another player. That doesnt make any sense at all.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Th scary thing is that he and club think he is a value to the team playing like he is - how long before the blinkers come off. Honestly if he is not going to improve and he hasn't in 18 months the club would be better off if he retired and gave therm the opportunity to develop or recruit someone else to fill the void.

I dont get these posts. he was probably in our best 6 yesterday and he is still our best tall forward and by a fair way. There are no blinkers on here. Who replaces this obviously seconds player? And how does him playing stop us recruiting another player. That doesnt make any sense at all.
You just summed it up. He was in our best 6. He is part of our best 6. Forget the past. At the moment he is part of our best 6. A couple of years ago we argued about our bottom 6. Now our best 6 and our bottom 12 can't beat last years spooners and will strugle against the GCS.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You just summed it up. He was in our best 6. He is part of our best 6. Forget the past. At the moment he is part of our best 6. A couple of years ago we argued about our bottom 6. Now our best 6 and our bottom 12 can't beat last years spooners and will strugle against the GCS.

I have no idea what this means.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His opponent was given 4 votes in the paper.....list on their website as the third best... He clearly beat nick.

Not sure how he was in our best six.....up until his snap, he had one two contests out of about 15....Chaplin had him under control....

His mobility is non existent it's like he's on train tracks

Moods
Saintsational Legend

What were Chaplin's stats?

I don't know because I rarely look at stats unless it affects my SC team. He was hardly influential from what I can recall - I reckon the votes is more a reflection of how highly ppl still rate Roo. Bit like David Rhyce Jones winning the Norm Smith playing on Dermie - I think from memory Rhyce-Jones had about 14 possessions and was unanimously regarded as BOG.

Many ppl say that Nathan Browne thrashed Roo in the 2010 drawn GF. I reckon they broke even, but it was Roo so the standard is set so much higher.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

15 possessions..... Not only about numbers for a key back

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His opponent was given 4 votes in the paper.....list on their website as the third best... He clearly beat nick.

Not sure how he was in our best six.....up until his snap, he had one two contests out of about 15....Chaplin had him under control....

His mobility is non existent it's like he's on train tracks

Sorry to have an opinion different to yours. I thought he was in our best 6. And it amazes me that on TV you can see his mobility is non existant. You really have some sort of vision on TV that most people dont. I wish I had your TV. I might use some stats. 10 out his 15 posessions were contested and an even better stat who were our 6 or more better than him. I take it your votes are the only correct ones. Have you ever thought about changing the Brownlow to the Bigmart?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

[quote="plugger66"

I dont get these posts. he was probably in our best 6 yesterday and he is still our best tall forward and by a fair way. There are no blinkers on here. Who replaces this obviously seconds player? And how does him playing stop us recruiting another player. That doesnt make any sense at all.[/quote]

You just summed it up. He was in our best 6. He is part of our best 6. Forget the past. At the moment he is part of our best 6. A couple of years ago we argued about our bottom 6. Now our best 6 and our bottom 12 can't beat last years spooners and will strugle against the GCS.[/quote]

I have no idea what this means.[/quote]

You could have rested your typing fingers after you'd typed I have no idea.....it's alright though, we got the drift....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:[quote="plugger66"

You just summed it up. He was in our best 6. He is part of our best 6. Forget the past. At the moment he is part of our best 6. A couple of years ago we argued about our bottom 6. Now our best 6 and our bottom 12 can't beat last years spooners and will strugle against the GCS.[/quote]

I have no idea what this means.[/quote]

You could have rested your typing fingers after you'd typed I have no idea.....it's alright though, we got the drift....[/quote]

Dont worry one day you will say something funny. And while we are at it can you explain to me what Cairnman is trying to get at. Thanks in advance.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Really difficult to assess agility and turning circles watching TV I know.... It's only close up and at times slow motion footage with 10 different cameras

I dont know why bloody clubs waste their time doing video analysis.... Unless of course they have one of my special tv's that makes it like you are there....100 meters away in the grand stand, with no replays.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Really difficult to assess agility and turning circles watching TV I know.... It's only close up and at times slow motion footage with 10 different cameras

I dont know why bloody clubs waste their time doing video analysis.... Unless of course they have one of my special tv's that makes it like you are there....100 meters away in the grand stand, with no replays.....

Its funny but we have Chris Fagan helping our club for the last 2 years. The only footage he shows the players of our club is down the ground footage. He says it is the best to see what the players do, where they go and how they move. What would he know he is only director of coaching at Hawthorn. Bigmart knows better. I still say it is nearly impossble to tell if a guy cant move from mainly close ups of play. I also didnt know they show 10 angles at the one time. Like I said you must have that special TV. By the way have you got the list of 6 or more better players Brownlow man?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Have you ever thought about changing the Brownlow to the Bigmart?
I like that… catchy, the bigmart goes to… C.Judd

older saint
SS Life Member

Love to see him move to CHB. He goes for marks at the highest point however this leaves him exposed to being worked under the ball from below the waist.
Look at someone like Cloke or Kosi they mark in front of their eyes, which means better balance and harder to push from below the waist out, roo gets highest point meaning the base is less stable.

Move the CHB, can run like a gazel still and less likely to be moved under the ball.

Gilbert forward as he cant kick well eoungh for a back now.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe blokes taking shots at Roo. The bloke is slaughtered by our disposal and now it seems that defenders are allowed to charge under him and take him out of the contest. Roo maybe has to go to Full forward short leads one out straight lines.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Moods
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Gilbert forward as he cant kick well eoungh for a back now.

First time I've ever heard someone suggest that a player needs to move to the fwd line because his skills aren't good enough for the backline.

Bottom line is what most are saying - he needs to get better at this part of his game or there just isn't a spot for him in our team. Sadly there's too many in the same boat, and when you compare us to the top teams, our skill level looks woeful. We really need players like Schneider and Siposs playing.

Having said all that - I know Gilbo kicked many howlers on Sunday, but overall his kicking looked much cleaner to me. I'm remaining positive that he can rectify the problem. No point giving up on them all after Rd 1

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

What Gilbert has going for him in that he's a tough as nails 6'4 KPP. The issue is that he's too confident with the pill. I would much prefer him to become a negating backman who opts to hand pass to our decent ball users instead of backing his own skills. Definitely one player we should keep in the team IMO.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:Thought Roo was amongst our five better players.
Yep agree with that, in the best 5 or 6 -
Mobility non-existent? I must have watched a different match :shock: Not to mention 10 contested poss, and generally hopeless delivery
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 02 Apr 2012 9:16pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:The real argument about Roo should be about how many bad games he is allowed before he is dropped.

Last year the argument was that he should be afforded the luxury of having a bad game or two because he was a champion.

Then the next argument was about who do you replace him with if he is dropped.

Check mate!

Same problem. Only difference is about one year.

If we are working on that theory then he should be treated like any other player and not on previous form. If he was just any other player then he had a average to good game yesterday so he is no where near being dropped. Even if he was luckily people do look at previous form and give the champs more time than others.
Exactly right!

Did Roo snub your autograph at the airport one day Cairnsman? Some of your posts regarding him are bewildering to the say the least. A poor game by Roo is equivalent to a passable game by almost every player on our list..... :roll:
He's had it in for Riewoldt (and Goddard) for 2 years, called them cancers on the footy club, and that they should be traded to G Coast - his real team I suspect - I don't open topics he starts, but I doubt you would find a positive comment from this poster.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 02 Apr 2012 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Nick did okay and will only get better as the season progresses and the team learns the modified game plan.

Those who write him off do so at their own peril.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Where the F@#$ do all you people bagging nick get off !!!!!
okay , i know he's past his best , but he's still a club champion and due some respect !!!!
He had 10 contested possessions , 2 tackles , 2 goals , 2 goal assists , 6 inside 50s , 75% ball use effeciency ( ranked 7th however 4 of those players had less than 10 disposals , let alone contested disposals. )
If half the team could rack up these lousy figures , we'd be unbeatable !!!!

In red white and black from 73
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yes he was a good player - I never rated him as great always thought he was over rated. I always wondered how as captain with no second efforts, nearly no defensive efforts how he and Lyon continually asked that of those around him. Time moves on and it has gone past Nick He hasn't been able to adapt to the changes to the game. I never thought he deserved to have been reappointed as captain either !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Yes he was a good player - I never rated him as great always thought he was over rated. I always wondered how as captain with no second efforts, nearly no defensive efforts how he and Lyon continually asked that of those around him. Time moves on and it has gone past Nick He hasn't been able to adapt to the changes to the game. I never thought he deserved to have been reappointed as captain either !
Overated! My god if anything he has been under rated by many. I'm just rapt my 12 year old daughter was old enough to remember him at his best. Back when he singlehandedly won games for us. Back when if the team needed a huge mark, he would invariably pull it in. Back when NO-ONE in the comp could keep up with him. The only thing I find disappointing about his physical demise are ppl like you who will no doubt remember his last few years rather than the 10 years when he was an out and out champion of the whole league - not just our club.