LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

cowboy18 wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Ralphy wrote:freo vs us is never a non event there is always boos towards them, they are hated....
Ross lying, is now THERE coach WAS our coach, ENEMY
their.

Although the spelling could be OK... it might be a punctuation thing. As in

Ross lying is now THERE. coach? WAS our coach... ENEMY?

So there. or their.
Or if you wanted to say it like Yoda:

Ross, lying is now. There coaches. Our coach was. ENEMY. *draws light-saber and frowns.

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

I hope supporters do take Lenny's advice

Seems to be a lot of people who are glad to see the back of Ross which makes you wonder why they're so upset about him leaving

If Thomas was important for the club's self belief then Lyon was even more important for it's professionalism - both are integral parts of our history

If Watters inherited a coachable team it wasn't that way for the last coach - 18 month teething phase

Personally not sorry to see him go, or his boring game style, think we got the best of the new coaches, win win all around

Spiro K

Totally agree with Gwilt Edged!

Ross was great for us let us not forget that and yes, I think his departure and the appointment of Scott Watters will, in the long term, bring many benefits.

Give Lyon and Freo the silent treatment and get behind our boys. Having said that if Lenny lands a tackle on Dawson like the brilliant one on Easton Wood on Saturday with a resulting goal I will leap out of my seat and shout like a madman!

"Man must suffer to be wise or alternatively support the Saints." Aeschylus
felix
Club Player

Agree spiro k

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Heaps will yell and carry on and it will make for good tv. Let them yell and complain, perhaps whinge and bitch with some abuse thrown in.

I urge all to abuse Rossco the Bossco for the sake of it. Make my tv viewing more enjoyable and just plain funny.

noob
Club Player

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The reception I want to see is Ross marching back to the clubrooms wondering why his ex team just smashed his gameplan.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
felix
Club Player

Good point who knows Lyons game plan better than the saints his could be funny

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:We could always pretend to be adults…

Just sayin'

Just remember that one day we will no doubt welcome him back to the club as one of the most successful coaches in our history.

He was broke, so left for money and security for his family, boohoo, I was gutted but it really is time to move on.

Tut tut - waaayy too sensible for an internet forum. (couldn't agree more) 8-)

Winmar
Club Player

He did great things with that squad of players and almost got us a premiership. In the end his departure was the best thing for him and the club, so all has worked out well.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Had a fair say in make-up of "that squad"!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Come on Joffa, blind freedy knows Lyin didnt play the kids. Armo only got regular games cause Lenny was injured. McEvoy only cause Gardner was injured. As for Steven, he hardly got regular games. Do you need reminding about Walsh?
yeah whatever :roll:

Facts are. Armo and Steven and Mac were in the team for most of the year. Cripps got a run and got injured, Sipposs got a run and got injured, Stanley showed little and got injured, Lynch got 5 games and was ordinary.

And remind me how many games Walsh has had at Sydney.

No matter what the facts are people will tell you BS like above and expect you to believe it :roll:

Oh and while Lyon "wasn't developing the kids" he took us to successive GF's.

Really some people should pull their heads in, or at least use them to think with.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ball a lttle different, he was starved of opportunity and offered a 50% pay cut, no one in their right mind would accept that. I can see why he left....
Barks gave back a car, got 10c in the $ and knocked back some big offers.

Hey he was out of his mind I suppose.

Some people need it given to them, some go and earn it.

It's called integrity.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ball a lttle different, he was starved of opportunity and offered a 50% pay cut, no one in their right mind would accept that. I can see why he left....
Barks gave back a car, got 10c in the $ and knocked back some big offers.

Hey he was out of his mind I suppose.

Some people need it given to them, some go and earn it.

It's called integrity.
Huge fan of Trev's, but don't know how he would have handled the humiliation dished out in second half of GF 09!(toBall By Lyon)

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Quixote
SS Life Member

noob wrote:Image

:D

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
noob wrote:Image

:D

Love it

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Joke was something to do with a prick and a bubble'

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Come on Joffa, blind freedy knows Lyin didnt play the kids. Armo only got regular games cause Lenny was injured. McEvoy only cause Gardner was injured. As for Steven, he hardly got regular games. Do you need reminding about Walsh?

Facts are. Armo and Steven and Mac were in the team for most of the year. Cripps got a run and got injured, Sipposs got a run and got injured, Stanley showed little and got injured, Lynch got 5 games and was ordinary.

No matter what the facts are people will tell you BS like above and expect you to believe it :roll:

Really some people should pull their heads in, or at least use them to think with.
Just like 2010 hey JB. Steven and Armo couldn't get a game in front of Mini and Eddy. At the same time Collingwood were unearthing kids ours were stagnating in the VFL.

Ross did not play kids and more importantly, he and his team did not develop kids. The new regime understood this and we now have an accadamy. I reckon Pelchin, Scott and his team saw an issue with the club you clearly can't see. But you do know everything so I assume Scott has probably got it all wrong.

I guess people on here like saintrising would take a 50% pay cut, even if they were offered a better pay elsewhere with more opportunity....bullsh*t.....Any half intelligent human would have done the same, and 98.6 suggests he's no dummy

On Barks....he played back in the day when footballers trained tuesday andnthursday night, smoked, drank after games till morning and had full time jobs, footy wasn't his livelyhood. Brock McLean donated 10 000 large to Melbourne to erase their debt in 2009.... Went to the blues in 2010....

This is their Job.....get it... They don't play for fans, jumpers, mates......it's a professional career and their livelihoods not a Saturday with mates doing it for the local club...

and Luke's worth.....the market determines that, SR not stk or you ornthe public......he was worth what the market (in this case collingwood) offered. Having said that, he left for a multitude of otherbreasons

Ross Lyon was actually offered a pay rise and still left. What he did do was not wrong, but what the Freo admin did was not ethical, they should have had the balls to tell Harvey (a contracted coach) were sourcing another coach. They hedged their bets.... To their credit they got their man, but in an underhanded way

And our admin dropped the ball....they had 8 months to sign him, and tried to hold off too see results first, instead of backing him in.....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And our admin dropped the ball....they had 8 months to sign him, and tried to hold off too see results first, instead of backing him in.....
And that is wrong, how?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well if they wanted him to remain.....they stuffed up. Which judging by immediate reaction seemed to be the case

If its the case they didn't care, then they did what they did for a reason...

Honestly I believe Lyon is a great coach, few better....l but perhaps it turned out for the better...maybe his time was up,anyway

maverick
Saintsational Legend

It might be a different era than Barks, but the players reaction to Ball immediately after the event tells me all I need to know.
Did Bally go to Lenny's wedding, RL did, there's a fair indication, i don't actually know to tell you the truth???

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

I liked the way Lyon went about his coaching.

However, you don't critique somebody on an aspect of their coaching one sole year out of 5 years surely?

Let's say gameplan. Sure, he was consistent, and applied himself in the same manner the entire time. Unwavering, expectations of the players didn't diminish.

Playing the kids? Was a foreign concept to him until 2011 for whatever reason, on the record of saying he didn't like to play them until their bodies had matured etc etc. Then suddenly in 2011 kids were given opportunity, almost randomly with no real reason or method?

Personally I think he actually took a whack when the NZL thing happened, he appeared to me by his comments and demeanour to have taken some responsibility for the kids being down, unmotivated and ostracised? It was then we heard of his attending Sandringham games, and giving the kids more opportunity than previous.

His approach to developing youth was strange, and overall, a late exploration of his coaching caper with the Saints.

Just my take, and opinion.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I guess people on here like saintrising would take a 50% pay cut, even if they were offered a better pay elsewhere with more opportunity....bullsh*t.....Any half intelligent human would have done the same, and 98.6 suggests he's no dummy

Is this true?

According to Sheahan, Bail was offered less by Collingwood.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 5826527463
The fact a contract was on the table was irrelevant. As it happens, he will play for Collingwood for less than he was offered by St Kilda

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'll enjoy booing Lyon and the Dockers more than I enjoy booing other teams. I don't normally boo other coaches, but you've gotta boo Lyon. I mean seriously....he made watching my team excruciatingly frustrating and I couldn't stand the game plan, the player inclusions at times, the blame shifting and most of all; the lost opportunities with that list that was put together by those before him ( yeah...what a 'squad' indeed!!!!) Lyon had at his disposal a smorgasbord of top five draft picks and had other coaches green with envy that he was lucky enough to be given the plum role that guaranteed him on field success and finals footy). Ya can't teach the lyon dog new tricks however.....Did anyone watch the Dockers match from last week...

Freo Vs Brisbane Lions quarter time score - Freo 1:4:10 - Lions 2:1:13 ...the commentators were struggling to try and sound enthusiastic

Dermie's comment at the 8 minute mark of the second quarter; "you won't get many Ross Lyon coached games being a great spectacle ...chuckle,,...chuckle.,,,..." A minute later the scores were Freo 1:5:11 - Lions 2:1:13 and there was a turning point....Leuenberger went down... Freo just got their noses in front at half time, but geeees...what a boring game it was up 'til then.