This weeks team - official

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: This weeks team - official

Surely Kosi will play. Wilkes was efficient with his chances, and his bomb was a beaut, but lordy people are overstating his input. Spent half his time blowing like a pack a day smoker. Kosi's a much more versatile and athletic contributor IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Richter
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:He had 2 tackles for the game when the side had nearly 100!! No smothers, no goal assists.
Yes and Kosi in 4 matches has had 9 tackles and no goal assists… has he made a smother?
Not credited with a goal assist from Jack Steven's goal in the 1st Q. Beau crashing the pack created that goal.

And 2 tackles for 53 % of the time equates to 3-4 for a whole game... not bad for a tall forward IMO. Compare with Nick Riewoldt who averages 1.4 tackles per game over his career, Kosi who averages 1.5, or how about Aaron Hamill, who averaged 2.8 for his career.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Thinline wrote:Kosi's a much more versatile and athletic contributor IMO.
:shock:

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

clarky449 wrote:Hope there is no change.
Totally agree on this one Clarky.

Unless Big Bac is a late withdrawal, or unless Roo goes to CHB, I can't see a current spot for Kosi. Yes his form is good - but by his standards. If he doesn't mark the thing, the contest is over and we are (another) man short in the forward line. (And another man again if he cleans up Roo in a marking contest. :roll: )

Wilkey's repeat efforts and footy nouce last week was somewhat of a revelation. :idea: Great example was Roo's 1st quarter(?) unmarked mark in the forward pocket. A little glance upfield shows Wilkesy strongly getting in the way of the Dreamon defender trying to get back.

I rate Kosi and Wilkesy about on a par for goal kicking potential. Kosi is clearly the better in the ruck, but do we need that currently with Big Mac, Stanley and even Blakey? IMHO, I would much prefer to sacrifice Kosi's potential ruck input for Wilksey's repeat efforts and forward line pressure.

No brainer I reckon... IMHO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Well I hope that Kosi and Wilkes play (if it's reasonably dry), as I think they're probably both too good to be playing at Sandy. Kosi we know is and Wilkes hopefully is too. If that means our forward line will be strong enough to allow Roo to go down back, to significantly improve our backline, then that's perfectly fine with me.
If Wet Toast can play all of Kennedy, Darling, Quentin Lynch and one of Cox and Natanui in their forward line, then we can have all of Kosi, Wilkes and Stanley in ours (if they're in form).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm not going to argue about who is better out of the two.

I just think Kosi has to be in.

Stretching the defence is exactly that, stretching it.

Play tall, pull the trigger, and take advantage of some very lop sided contests.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

After saying Kosi's out for disciplinary reasons, Scott's going to look stupid if he plays. I don't think Scott's stupid.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:After saying Kosi's out for disciplinary reasons, Scott's going to look stupid if he plays. I don't think Scott's stupid.
neither do i but is getting himself in some knots lately with his public commengts. maybe he needs to slightly cut back on the media?
anyway IMHO wilkes = kosi=wilkes. same same but different. im not too fussed over which one plays or doesnt. they both give us similar return (both petty good by the way).

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:After saying Kosi's out for disciplinary reasons, Scott's going to look stupid if he plays. I don't think Scott's stupid.
neither do i but is getting himself in some knots lately with his public commengts. maybe he needs to slightly cut back on the media?
anyway IMHO wilkes = kosi=wilkes. same same but different. im not too fussed over which one plays or doesnt. they both give us similar return (both petty good by the way).
Wilkes is a good VFL player and is only a depth player at St Kilda. He came in for Kosi and that's all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wilkes is a good VFL player and is only a depth player at St Kilda. He came in for Kosi and that's all.
agree. kosi isnt that awesome though either.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Surely Kosi will play. Wilkes was efficient with his chances, and his bomb was a beaut, but lordy people are overstating his input. Spent half his time blowing like a pack a day smoker. Kosi's a much more versatile and athletic contributor IMO.

I went to the game and as a huge fan of Kosi -he can pack mark and converts his chances, Wilkes was a really good forward because he actually chased at speed, shepherded for Rhys and Riewoldt, naturally ran hard to space which opened up our forward line dragging defenders out with him. He then made the most of the scraps he got by jagging his limited opportunities while playing the decoy role. He either highlighted the deficiencies in our forward line or added something new. I was at the game and was watching him close and was impressed by his off the ball stuff.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He didn't say that did he?

He said Kosi put his spot under a question mark, but the squad is 25, and the final changes won't be made until 90 minutes before?

He isn't stupid, which is why he has left it open.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

He said Kosi put his spot under a question mark, but the squad is 25, and the final changes won't be made until 90 minutes before?

That's certainly how I read it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:

He'll still look stupid if Kosi plays.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:

He'll still look stupid if Kosi plays.
Well to you maybe.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Well to you maybe.
Not to me. To the footy world in general. I already said I don't think he's stupid.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Well to you maybe.
Not to me. To the footy world in general. I already said I don't think he's stupid.
Pretty sure the football world thinks he is foxing with selections to keep Hawthorn guessing.

Which is entirely possible.

Could be a left field late change.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Well to you maybe.
Let me rephrase that Bernard.

I meant to say that in your opinion he'll be viewed as stupid by others.

But the footy world in general probably couldn't care less about it IMO.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Thinline wrote:Surely Kosi will play. Wilkes was efficient with his chances, and his bomb was a beaut, but lordy people are overstating his input. Spent half his time blowing like a pack a day smoker. Kosi's a much more versatile and athletic contributor IMO.

I went to the game and as a huge fan of Kosi -he can pack mark and converts his chances, Wilkes was a really good forward because he actually chased at speed, shepherded for Rhys and Riewoldt, naturally ran hard to space which opened up our forward line dragging defenders out with him. He then made the most of the scraps he got by jagging his limited opportunities while playing the decoy role. He either highlighted the deficiencies in our forward line or added something new. I was at the game and was watching him close and was impressed by his off the ball stuff.
Same here. I had a great spot on level 3 (the Corporate box level, where there are seats that no-one seems to know are GA, at the same height as level 2 at the Ponsford end) behind the goals at the Punt Rd end (the end where he kicked all his goals) and watched him with keen interest and was really impressed with a heap of the stuff he did. Certainly not just the things he got stats for. I was shocked and really pissed off when he was subbed off, as most of the lower level of the Southern Stand (where most of our support was) obviously were, judging by the huge boo that came from there when it was announced that he'd been subbed off. Would love to have seen what he would have done if it had stayed dry and he'd played the whole game.

Doesn't mean he'll do it again this week, but then again, since the middle of last year he's obviously played really well pretty much every single week, so I don't think that game was anything out of the ordinary for him. I bet he doesn't mind having AFL standard delivery to him, either.
Bernard Shakey wrote: Wilkes is a good VFL player and is only a depth player. He came in for Kosi and that's all.
Did you think the same thing about Podsiadly, when he was picked up by Geelong and Heatley, when he first arrived at St Kilda, for instance?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He came in for Kosi and grabbed his chance. We'll find out tomorrow whether he gets the chance to build on it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
He came in for Kosi and grabbed his chance. We'll find out tomorrow whether he gets the chance to build on it.
Sounds like Wilkesy and Kosi might play...
Wilksey may not get a quality defender against the hawks so gets another chance to take some marks and kick a bag....

stkildajason3votes
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Kosi will come in as a late change. Think Polo is unlucky.
who will go out?
if they want kosi in the 22 this week they could have just picked him?

I wouldn,t cry over Polo, I beleive he has had several chances to preform better than his past shows.