Milne its Time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Milne its Time

Credits in the bank are only worth something if there is a reasonable expectation of an improvement in the future that makes it worthwhile persisting with current substandard performance. Geary, for instance, has had a poor couple of weeks, but has credits due to some good games earlier in the season. And there's every likelihood that he will turn it around next week as he is on a generally improving trajectory.

Milney is not. He's at the end of what has been a wonderful career. He no longer has the nimbleness of body to match his speed of thought, and to suggest that body-wise he cuts it any more is simply blind. The reason he plays for frees at EVERY contest is because he can no longer win that contest cleanly.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think confidence to make the shift in generation should come from the top down. Thats board to nettlefold to coachto footy department.
they need to say - hey we are relaxed with how we are going. we know this senior group gave it one full on serious crack and tilt for a flag and was just plain unlucky to miss one. but now we are moving on and we are going to have another serious tilt and crack at a flag starting now. this will involve generational transition and might take 5 years. thats cool. lets handle it well. we can rotate players. get games into some youngsters. slowly transition out some old guys. hey scotty - its ok if u finish 12th. we are now judging u - not on ladder spot - but whether we see u coaching the next premiership side and whether our young players are improving and playing footy we think can win finals in the future when their bodies harden up.

stkildajason3votes
Club Player

Imagine our forward line with Saad on one side and Terry on the other. Thats 2/5 of the Jackson 5. The little fellow with 2 goals a game wouldn't be bad.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stkildajason3votes wrote:Imagine our forward line with Saad on one side and Terry on the other. Thats 2/5 of the Jackson 5. The little fellow with 2 goals a game wouldn't be bad.
WTF
How old are you Jason?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon there's room in the team for Saad, Milera and Milne...Saying that I think it's Milne's last year of footy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Changed my mind a little, I think try him with Saad alongside for a full match and see how he goes when he has a sidekick to take the pressure off a little.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think confidence to make the shift in generation should come from the top down. Thats board to nettlefold to coachto footy department.
they need to say - hey we are relaxed with how we are going. we know this senior group gave it one full on serious crack and tilt for a flag and was just plain unlucky to miss one. but now we are moving on and we are going to have another serious tilt and crack at a flag starting now. this will involve generational transition and might take 5 years. thats cool. lets handle it well. we can rotate players. get games into some youngsters. slowly transition out some old guys. hey scotty - its ok if u finish 12th. we are now judging u - not on ladder spot - but whether we see u coaching the next premiership side and whether our young players are improving and playing footy we think can win finals in the future when their bodies harden up.
I'm not ready to concede just yet Con - contrary and stubborn! :twisted: But hey Con, if/when that day comes that we do have to take a bit of a slide down, then I want it to be a brief one!

And I reckon your post is the way to go about achieving that goal. Really well put. Great post! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah let Saad play the opposite pocket and have him use Milney to take the best small defender is a workable alternative.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Start the transition now - after he's had 3 or 4 poor efforts in a row - and he'll realise that his position is not guaranteed. You never know if ya don't give it a go!! Leave him out this week. Saad or Ledger or maybe Cripps may defend in our forward half better, and may even get front and square more times than Milney does. Nothing wrong with healthy competition for spots.

felix
Club Player

Legend of the St Kilda footy club . Should be treated with respect. He will probably be gone next year, and will be missed .

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Changed my mind a little, I think try him with Saad alongside for a full match and see how he goes when he has a sidekick to take the pressure off a little.
It was time alright, his time :wink:

He missed Schneider, and just needed a little friend.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SainterK wrote:Changed my mind a little, I think try him with Saad alongside for a full match and see how he goes when he has a sidekick to take the pressure off a little.
It was time alright, his time :wink:

He missed Schneider, and just needed a little friend.
He's a one-trick pony, but it's one hell of a trick!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

1eyedNever wrote:Milne its Time
to play next week.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Richter
SS Life Member

:oops: :oops:

Very happy to have been proved wrong

:) :)

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

This thread was ridiculous to start with, should not have gone as far as it did. Unbelievable.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

yeah, apparently he doesnt stand up in big games

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Where is the op, ??? crap thread and author.

felix
Club Player

Milney ....fire and brimstone ....heart and soul....took 4 blues players to ground with one killer blow...legendary

Buckets
SS Life Member

Glad to be wrong. Welcome back Milney!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
stinger
Saintsational Legend

1eyedNever wrote:Great contribution to the club BUT we will never be a contender with Milne getting a game time for Scott to make the hard one and play Saad all year
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Love ya Milney. You ain't going anywhere. Fantastic to hear the Milney chants around the stadium last night.

His role has changed and once supporters can understand that, they won't be calling for him to be dropped.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ThePunter
Club Player

Champions respond.

But having some help down in the forward line made a huge difference. Everyone remember that his least productive years were 2006-2007 - the years after Guerra but before Schneider.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Milne was good tonight but I thought Saad/Milera were the standouts.

I dont just watch a game and look at goal stats - Milera/Saad were cleaner, better decision making and disposal under pressure.

Milne did his tricks tonight and they contributed well (before the nay saying w@nkers get excited Ive been a Milne fan his whole career) BUT I still believe nothing Ive seen in 1 game changes my view: Milne's position is no longer walk up start, especially with Schneider to come back and as long as Saad/Miler bring the fierce fwd pressure/run carry and speed to the game as they did last night.

Milne brings the tricks next week INTERSTATE and he stays in. IF he goes AWOL we need to plan for the future.

As Ray said after the game - we finally have some run/speed at Saints...WE are now in a position to get the fast break goals out the back.

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I think there are very few walk up starts at the moment to be honest. There are quite a few players pushing to get back into the side and if you don't perform, you risk losing your spot. This does not just apply to Milne.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

For the rest of this year, Milny has earned the right to have a few off games. Past experience shows that new/younger players take time to become consistent. There is nothing wrong with Milny being "rested" if he puts a string of bad games together and either of Saad, Milera or Sneider are performing. At the end of the day, no-one is "guaranteed" of a game.

If this ends up being his last year, the Club should be working through this with him - we don't need another Lyon-type announcement fiasco after the last game.