Our Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Cheer Squad

gringo wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I was always under the impression that cheers squads were for kids. I have to tell you I'm baffled why a middle aged man would paint his face, wear a club jumper and carry on like a peanut in a cheersquad situation, i see them from time to time on the TV and at games and watch in wonderment.

If the Squads targeted kids only the squads would grow, the parents would allow them to join knowing that those middle aged men & women wouldn't be there.

Joffa, perfect example, if that's the path you want to go down then you can jam Cheersquads in my opinion.

I absolutely agree, it's vital to get kids involved. They are there to have fun, they take the sport less seriously and they give the club and the sport a fresh look. The club could offer incentives, for example if the kids are in the cheersquad, they could subsidize nearby seats for the parents/wards so they could be close to their child for security reasons (this is the age we live in). The cheersquad could have a load of other activities planned on non-gamedays.

But there is a room for passionate tribal adults as well, perhaps less prominent but a supporting role. Trouble is a lot of those adults don't really make good role models for the young impressionables. And I suppose a lot of parents would be nervous about leaving their kids alone in an environment with adults without those adults being subject to police checks, and it being all official, which many adults would be reluctant to do. Maybe there should be Senior and Junior cheersquads, and the club should be helping out the junior one a lot more, maybe even get some of the younger rookies involved in mentoring programs. Just some ideas.
I sat with the cheer squad at the nab game against Sydney and Geelong and they were not great role models. Agree on the kids thing, the club should get some officially recognised folks to get working with children checks and go out into the community in schools, auskicks, churches anything. Have them help make the banner and lift it, participate in the involvement, give out those behind the goals tickets to some from the group and start involving people in the club.

They should try handing out free kits to schools so the kids play under our colours. My Grandfather and dad both were/ are fans because they played country footy in our strip and they forced me. Creating future support isn't going to do anything under their watch so the club probably won't act but rethinking some of the conventions may create something better.
you have to be older than 14 to hold up the banner. one of the afl rules they have set us.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Austinnn
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:you have to be older than 14 to hold up the banner. one of the afl rules they have set us.
That rule blows. The AFL are over officiating this sport to justify their inflated salaries.

Still, things being what they are, getting teenagers involved is still better than pensioners. Teenage Saints must be recruited. What the hell else is there to do in the suburbs anyway? Teenagers have imagination, energy, and are not tied down to tradition. Plus they'll be around for decades!

Dooley, can you tell us from the inside (I assume you're involved with the cheer squad somehow) what the feeling is about the future for the cheersquad, what you guys do, and who drives it?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
MrCordz
Club Player

Saints cheersquad seems reserved for women and children only which I surmise from the feminine fairy chants and PG rated atmosphere - quite embarrassing compared to the rest of the comp.

Humbly St. Kilda
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

MrCordz wrote:Saints cheersquad seems reserved for women and children only which I surmise from the feminine fairy chants and PG rated atmosphere - quite embarrassing compared to the rest of the comp.
Woo woo woo yey!

God knows how Dooley can reach those incredibly high notes!