One thing I love about Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter#4
Club Player

Re: One thing I love about Watters

Thing i like most about watters is the fact that every single player is held accountable...

under lyin i just felt that the guns/favourites were given freedom and then there was everyone else

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:This thread has turned to s***. Should start posting nudes IMO.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote: One thing the thread title says, just one thing.

So no, I don't think you're being objective, else you'd be perfectly prepared to let a forumite highlight something he likes about Scott without feeling the need to go the whole 'but Ross did this and that'
Glad the title wasn't "Two things I love about Watters"

May have gone on for 50 pages :shock:

:P

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Fifty shades of Love / Hate

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't wear purple tie!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
The Craw
Club Player

dragit wrote:
viola
Doesn't he know that you can buy milk for $1 dollar a litre sheeeesh :roll:

Not Craw, CRAW!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:[First you assert I dont like critism of Lyon due to his boring football, then you say its all about the 09 GF?

look at your first post. You categorically stated that it was about boring football, but now you completely change it to about his coaching in the 09 GF.

You are completely and hopelessly wrong (on both confused arguments BTW).

i deconstructed your silly assertion in quote No.1

Now for number two. I argue that the Saints were 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime with most of those behinds easily gettable.

I argue that Lyon cant kick for them.

i argue that stupid coulda, woulda, shoulda arguments are fatuous and specious as they are not based on fact but subjective opinion.

Fact - Saints players licked us out of the GF in 09. 7.7 to 7.1 is an undeniable FACT.

Poorly argued subjective emotionalism - Lyon could have coached better. No facts, totally unprovable.

Fact - Scott Watters has his team sitting 10th on the table and possibly missing the finals for only the second time since 2003.

Dont assert mistruths to me, you will get clobbered.

Nope. My point which you missed again is that you're very defensive about any percieved criticism of RL - otherwise what are you even doing on this thread. The OP was not a slight at RL ---- it was just someone posting an observation. You've made the link because you've been on this vendetta that we've now sacrificed "defensive boring wins" for "entertaining lossess" - hence the thread you started several months back. Most people feel that this list needed some redevelopment before we could challenge again which IMO is what we're currently doing but you continually assert it's the new coaching style and people were wrong to criticise RL. Your arguments are all one extreme or the other.

Oh and by the way... RE the 09 GF, your argument is just as subjective as mine. If Schneider had say kicked the goal in the 1st quarter, the entire game from that point changes so you can't say had we been more accurate we would have won... if down by 3-4 goals Geelong may have stepped up a gear or not who knows. It's subjective emotionalism. No facts. Totally unproveable.
What is a fact is that RL acknowledged that he took Luke Ball off for far too long in the last and that that was a mistake. That's a fact.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
joffaboy wrote:[First you assert I dont like critism of Lyon due to his boring football, then you say its all about the 09 GF?

look at your first post. You categorically stated that it was about boring football, but now you completely change it to about his coaching in the 09 GF.

Now for number two. I argue that the Saints were 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime with most of those behinds easily gettable.

i argue that stupid coulda, woulda, shoulda arguments are fatuous and specious as they are not based on fact but subjective opinion.

Fact - Saints players licked us out of the GF in 09. 7.7 to 7.1 is an undeniable FACT.

Poorly argued subjective emotionalism - Lyon could have coached better. No facts, totally unprovable.

Fact - Scott Watters has his team sitting 10th on the table and possibly missing the finals for only the second time since 2003.

Nope. My point which you missed again is that you're very defensive about any percieved criticism of RL - otherwise what are you even doing on this thread. The OP was not a slight at RL ---- it was just someone posting an observation. You've made the link because you've been on this vendetta that we've now sacrificed "defensive boring wins" for "entertaining lossess" - hence the thread you started several months back. Most people feel that this list needed some redevelopment before we could challenge again which IMO is what we're currently doing but you continually assert it's the new coaching style and people were wrong to criticise RL. Your arguments are all one extreme or the other.

Oh and by the way... RE the 09 GF, your argument is just as subjective as mine. If Schneider had say kicked the goal in the 1st quarter, the entire game from that point changes so you can't say had we been more accurate we would have won... if down by 3-4 goals Geelong may have stepped up a gear or not who knows. It's subjective emotionalism. No facts. Totally unproveable.
What is a fact is that RL acknowledged that he took Luke Ball off for far too long in the last and that that was a mistake. That's a fact.
Our chances of winning in 09 wouldn't improved if we kicked straight...yeah, I buy that..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I like that Watters has played young players and new (old) players - I like the attempt to break the "chase the ball like 8 year olds" deadlock and backline dominance and that he has given us an attacking demeanour. It reminds me a bit of when we were trying to do the Geelong attacking thing in the 90s - but neither of us actually won a flag then - the defensive/aggressive teams won generally.
If I look at this thread objectively and actually think that Lyon was a good/great coach (apart from the Ball decisions) then it is extremely insulting with name calling (Lyin etC.) and a lot of innuendo. I think the dust is still settling around how we are playing and whether we can be successful with this mix or not. And this weeks game is critically important for us this year (and maybe for a genuine attempt at a flag in the next year or two) - but make no mistake - who can honestly tell me that with a brilliant coach with our current list (with few injuries) that we could not seriously shake the tree - just look at the names/experience - I am certain that older teams have won previously (Sydney/Carlton/North.
I do not see much physical decline at this point - only some loose play and missed opportunities in front of goals (the Richmond game I hated - far too loose). This may mean a whole host of things - and a lot of them may not reflect on coaching prowess.
I would give Lyon 13/10 for his coaching after half time in the drawn 2010 game and also for the sudden slaughter of Essendon to give us top four spot. I will not forget or let anyone diminish that without comment - just as Thomas is to be respected for his PF gets with a young side - and Alves for his GF with a young list (sans Lockett).
I like a lot about SW - and give him 6.5 at this stage - same as I would have given Lyon in 2007 - but his success is at the crossroads and I really think we need finals with this list over the next two years - this year included. However, coaches can do nothing to make players kick straight - and results can evade them - they can only make gameplans and matchups and perhaps provide motivation.
But Go Saints - kill the pies - and Cats - and SW suddenly gets 8 - or 8.5/10.
Lyon only ever got about a 9 - the 13 was only for getting us back into a lost GF at half time - I give him 4.5 for the first half in 2010, 8 for 2009 - and 7 for the last quarter. (No comment at all about the replay for players or coach)
[also it is great actually seeing some debate again on here for a change - rather than one-sided sycophantism] lol

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
jimmy_slats
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
jimmy_slats wrote:Joffaboy... and i stress that last part of your name!!! This thread is about a persons opinion of what he or she thinks that our coach is doing right and i would say that a vast majority on hear would agree with regardless of where we currently sit on the ladder.
Why do you make it your mission to shoot down anyone's positive opinions of this clubs again and again? If you have an issue with how the club is not meeting your standards please feel free to start your own posts about these where i am sure all the people that agree with you can talk all you want about it.
Funny. Ithought this was a thread for discussion. Are you attempting to silence my opinion because it doesn't conform to the prevailing orthodoxy? Or are you just a controlling twat?
jimmy_slats wrote:Please stop bombarding these positive posts about the club with you negitive agendas and just let the people who would like to discuss the positive side of things do so with out people like you just taking everything away from what started as a very good thread and now tainted by your constant negativity.... grow up joffa.... BOY and let the people who would like to discuss positive views on the club do so

Who made you king of the internet you feckless cabbage? Unless you are a moderator a big FU. I have a right to my opinion. You dont like it? Tought titties sunshine. Cry me a river.

Oh and for the negative agenda's - dont make BS up that you cant back up. I will deconstruct your infantile jibberish and make you look more foolish than you already do.

But do carry on, couldn't think any less of you than I already do :roll:

hahahaha you truly are a sad sad BOY!!!! enjoy your hijacking of threads joffa...BOY!!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Our chances of winning in 09 wouldn't improved if we kicked straight...yeah, I buy that..
you could not be so stupid that that's what you could read from that comment... surely not

nobody could be that thick

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

s*** when I saw that I though Jack turned up so pissed he wore his belt and nothing else.

andrewg
Club Player

Because Frenantle is playing great footy Joffaboy. Gee I miss crushing teams by kicking 11 Goals to 6. I mss all those games

bigred
Saintsational Legend

GT was revolutionary. A modern day genius.

When he lost all that weight consuming nothing but fruit juice and taking naps on nail beds....It just shows the genius of the man.

GT>RL in terms of enjoyment watching the game. RL got results but F*** me it was tough to watch at times. At least GT let them off the chain.

RL got the results. That is the be all and end all argument.

Watters needs more time. Four more years IMO. I think he could be better than this first year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BIgred please review your signature......
more like a pineapple than a watermelon!
Reckon Lyon tried both judging by that walk and strained smirk on his face

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Oh and by the way... RE the 09 GF, your argument is just as subjective as mine. If Schneider had say kicked the goal in the 1st quarter, the entire game from that point changes so you can't say had we been more accurate we would have won... if down by 3-4 goals Geelong may have stepped up a gear or not who knows. It's subjective emotionalism. No facts. Totally unproveable.
saintpav wrote:Our chances of winning in 09 wouldn't improved if we kicked straight...yeah, I buy that..
you could not be so stupid that that's what you could read from that comment... surely not

nobody could be that thick[/quote]

well then you really don't understand what you are writing but then again you're a genius who would have made all the right selections and moves..get your hand off it for once Septic.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When a player has a kick after the siren and misses the goal, how many times do you hear his teammates say something like; "it wasn't his fault, we had our chances in the match." His teammates aren't going to blame one player for losing, because they know that there are many incidents that lead up to that moment that are factors in determining the final result. Same can be said about the responsibility of coaches. A senior coach and all the coaches are just as responsible for each loss as any of the players out on the park.

One thing I love about Watters is that whenever the team loses because they haven't kicked straight...he doesn't just say; "we lost because we didn't kick straight." He takes responsibility just as much as the players.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well this thread has evolved along nicely huh

you know its going to be good when the old 'cabbage' comment rears its head

Saints43
Club Player

matrix wrote:well this thread has evolved along nicely huh

It's not a proper set to until joffaboy uses the word 'strawman'.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

Ahh but this was just like the preseason of threads, not a proper one.

Strawman is only used in H&A or Finals type threads :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Ahh but this was just like the preseason of threads, not a proper one.

Strawman is only used in H&A or Finals type threads :wink:
It was a major oversight by Lyon to leave Strawman out of the 2010 replay....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Draft photo

Betters than the Cripps draft photo - just sayin'

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)