Scott Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott Watters

bergholt wrote:
St Lenny wrote:We have only ever seen Ro$$ Lyin coach ready made teams. For what ever reasons, as we know, he did not develop the kids. I guess he thought, if he could get us a quick Premiership, all would be good.
if so, he was right, because it would have been better than good. he would have been a saints legend forever. no-one would have complained that he didn't play the kids. and he only missed this by a tiny margin.

or would you rather have played a few kids each year, finished fourth or fifth consistently, played a couple of finals and not made the 2009/2010 grand finals? that's the other option. you can't have it both ways.
he could have played a couple kids ahead of players that played consistently poor football ala McQualter post 2009

On a separate note, I guess the difference in my assessment of teams as opposed to others is that I look at them in the context of the past/present/future whereas many forumites are basing it on this season alone which is fair enough

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

OK - so back to Watters (i gave him 6.5) ... where will his coaching get us to next year?
What would get him an 8/10 .. finishing 5th? Can we do that?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

For me, you have to judge Watters first year with all the factors in mind. The main one is - what were the expectations for this year? You can't say that a 10/10 would have only been achieved by winning a flag this year because that is just an unrealistic expectation for what we could have achieved. IMO I thought our best result this year would've been to get 5th/6th. We don't have the depth of talent that the Hawks, Pies, Eagles etc have.

Secondly, although we didn't have too many injuries we had injuries to players we couldn't afford to lose - Rhys, McEvoy, Fisher, Blake to name a few.

Thirdly, it's SW's first year. You have to give the time to settle and get to know the list and to bed down his game style.

Also, a big part of this year was to develop the list - aside from winning games. And he has definitely ticked that box.

With those things in mind, I give him a 7.5/10.

My rating for Scott would have been better but for the fact that we had a soft draw so we should have still made the finals.