BJ offered $1.9m over three years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: BJ offered $1.9m over three years

Old Mate wrote:Whilst BJ is not elite (IMO) it should also be considered his standing relative to the team. He may not have won a Best and Fairest however I would confidently say that he has been our best player over the last 5 seasons (08-12). That's taking into account his performances as well as his durability. Roo and Lenny have had layoffs in that time. It could be argued that Fisher and Dal Santo are among the top 5 players over that period as well. So I think that BJ should be the second highest paid player at the club behind our captain. If this offer is correct then it's probably about right and would make him the second highest paid player at the club. If he leaves then the admin can't be blamed.
I don't think BJ or any other player on our list should have their contract renewed for over 500k per year during the initial phase of our rebuild which could be at least 2-3 years.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Gershwin wrote:I can't see Goddard being all that valuable in 3 years.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think as a midfielder he is probably slower than most. He is certainly not quick. And if you look at the way football is going you need to be quick.

He is not tall enough to play key position. A pinch-hitter in the forward line perhaps.

That leaves him as a loose man in defence or designated kicker. We can find others to play that role for less money.

Goddard doesn't appeal to me as a 2015 type of player but in saying that I would be happy to take him for 3 years at the money he is being offered.
I know what you’re saying and don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment.

But it makes you think doesn’t it? I recall only 2 years ago when BJ was taking speckies and we were making our second consecutive (unsuccessful) run at a flag. And I distinctly remember the commentators were banging on about him being the prototype for the modern footballer. He was described as almost perfect and every club as going to have to get themselves a Goddard

Does the game really change that quickly? Or were those commentators, like a few on here, simply going off a bit early?
I dont think it's wrong to suggest Goddard is the prototype modern footballer. He has a bit of height, great hands, reasonable tank, not a plodder (although not super quick), good reading of the play, and elite foot skills.

In 2010, when he was sitting on Harry O's head and getting us to a place we should have NEVER EVER lost/drawn from, he was 26 and the world was his oyster. Had this contract been up for negotiation then, we would have handed him the keys I reckon. 6 years, 800k, sure BJ, take the lot....

I think that the other clubs, rather than try to create their own, have just been more diligent in negating ours. Now we live in a world with defensive forwards, taggers playing on half back flanks, and he is 28, where in the AFL now, nobody over 30 is guaranteed a spot on a list. It creates an element of doubt, and BJ's performances since those GF days have done little to dispell the doubt, whether he was under duress with injury or not.

The best comparison with BJ in 2016, the 4th year of this contract, is Chris Newman in 2012. Newman in 2012 was only 30, but seems a lot older than that. Would Newman be on $600k+ playing half back, and being captain?? Probably not. BJ probably has more strings to his bow than Newman, but they're role as captain and possible captain would be simliar. Menotring a young group thru some pretty rough times, until one of the kids is ready to take over.

Gershwin
Club Player

Please, BJ has only ever taken one, I repeat one hanger/sitting on Harry O's head. I know that it is a moment in time that I will never forget and I can remember thinking please, please take this and he did and I leapt off the couch and nearly dislocated my shoulder punching the air but .... that was a couple of years ago. We need to look forward and I don't think he is the player of the future for a ridiculous price.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Please, BJ has only ever taken one, I repeat one hanger/sitting on Harry O's head.
Yes, but other heads have been used, eg

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Beams reportedly signed for 450K PA for 3 years… makes BJ's offer look very generous… considering where they are at in their careers.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Gershwin wrote:I can't see Goddard being all that valuable in 3 years.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think as a midfielder he is probably slower than most. He is certainly not quick. And if you look at the way football is going you need to be quick.

He is not tall enough to play key position. A pinch-hitter in the forward line perhaps.

That leaves him as a loose man in defence or designated kicker. We can find others to play that role for less money.

Goddard doesn't appeal to me as a 2015 type of player but in saying that I would be happy to take him for 3 years at the money he is being offered.
I know what you’re saying and don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment.

But it makes you think doesn’t it? I recall only 2 years ago when BJ was taking speckies and we were making our second consecutive (unsuccessful) run at a flag. And I distinctly remember the commentators were banging on about him being the prototype for the modern footballer. He was described as almost perfect and every club as going to have to get themselves a Goddard

Does the game really change that quickly? Or were those commentators, like a few on here, simply going off a bit early?
The game does change quickly but what changed quicker was Goddards mental state. It was reportered after the GF2 crisis that Goddard was of the belief that this team had missed it's chance to win a flag. Since then he has been a different player.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Agree with most of the talk here. Club being very generous. At the end of the day, Goddard has had about a 2 year period where he was outstanding. 1 top 3 standing in the BnF, if thats right? Is quite staggering for someone of his Stature. If i was the club, i wouldnt budge on the 3 years.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
loris
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:To much IMO. he is a 500k player at best. Dont see why he should be our highest paid player which he will be in 2 years. One top3 in the B&F in 10 years of footy.
we don't often agree plugs, but nice to see that you're right for a change :wink:
:D
Con Gorozidis wrote:If we get Caddy and a young gun fwd Ill be a very happy chappy and wish BJ all the best.
I think he is a great player but 4 years 600k would be reckless given the age profile of our list.
We need to save some salary cap room for future young guns - not become a high paid retirement village for ex stars who made 2 grand finals a few years ago.
Thanks for all you've done BJ. You're welcome back anytime. (Enjoy life sucking in the av' gas fumes training at Tullamarine... long way from any cafes, let alone a beach. :lol: )

I'll take the extra pick and freed up space in the salary cap. But most important of all, I'll take the move to towards bringing our player payments set-up into line with those of the Hillbillys, Skunks and Skid Marks. :idea:
Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Wow - what a thread !!
Elite = Premiership?
Lockett, Barker etc. - not elite? Whitten not elite? - of course they are - it relies on the team and coach to get a flag.
Wow!
AA twice - should have got a Norm Smith but they awarded it before he took that mark and goal. (no disrespect to Lenny at ALL - he deserved it too.)
Providing 30 million people with an ecstatic moment at the pointy end of a drawn GF - he will be remembered as a star for that alone. (most supoorters just wanted Collingwood to lose it)
Isn't it arguable that he has out-performed Roo (maybe Lennie cos of the year injured) over the past 4 years?
Just take it BJ - and give us more of 2010 - a few more at least.
If he stays - make him captain!
Last edited by mbogo on Mon 17 Sep 2012 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still reckon if Saints let him go, we'll be sorry :(

Saints43
Club Player

mbogo wrote:Isn't it arguable that he has out-performed Roo (maybe Lennie cos of the year injured) over the past 4 years?
Not for mine...on either count.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Whitten won a flag. 1954.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Still reckon if Saints let him go, we'll be sorry :(
Maybe but reality is we wont make top 4 in the next 4 years in any case.

So if BJ manages to get us up from 11th to 10th - who really cares?
We simply had to lose one of our older gun players - it is just the way the (contract) cards have fallen that BJ was the guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My main fear is we become a high-paid retirement village and settle somewhere in the middle of the ladder for the next 2 years before falling off a cliff as our best 10 players all retire or simply lose form. The simple fact is our best 10 players are 28 and over and we aren't high enough on the ladder to justify sustaining that.

I think we should look to the future now - 2 first round picks and some salary cap room to be a bit more aggressive come trade week. CMON!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

who will be our most senior and or best player in three years?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
st.byron wrote:Just depends on how money driven he is. If the article is correct and the Bummers are offering $800,000 and four years that's $1.95m vs $3.2m guaranteed, less tax. Another $1.2m, less tax, for one more year of your life. That's a big carrot if he's really driven by money.
Where did it say that they were offering him $800k a year for 4 years? I would highly doubt that the Bombers would offer that sort of money to BJ. Hird isn't a fool and that type of decision making could ultimately be his undoing.

There is no point in signing until all offers are on the table. Any responsible player agent would be telling him that.

I think BJ is going to end up staying at St Kilda and I predict that there will be a number of disappointed posters on here.
Yes I agree, that's what it looks like doesn't it?

Maybe Saints have left something to bargain with, and not made their final offer, waiting to see what offer Goddard comes to them with, and then perhaps matching it - at least the 4 year term. Still all those $$ figures, and length of contracts are likely media speculation......
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 18 Sep 2012 12:59am, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

We simply had to lose one of our older gun players - it is just the way the (contract) cards have fallen that BJ was the guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My main fear is we become a high-paid retirement village and settle somewhere in the middle of the ladder for the next 2 years before falling off a cliff as our best 10 players all retire or simply lose form. The simple fact is our best 10 players are 28 and over and we aren't high enough on the ladder to justify sustaining that.

I think we should look to the future now - 2 first round picks and some salary cap room to be a bit more aggressive come trade week. CMON!
Exactly. Good post and well put. This has been a concern of mine too. I liken having a 650k p/a player on our list over the next few years to having Gary Abblet in the GCS team. Does bugger all to their position on the ladder while they are building their team. He is there mainly for marketing reasons and the other things he offers such as leadership and mentoring could have been provided by a player on half his wage. I don't think we need Goddard for marketing reasons or leadership so at 650k p/a he is overpriced.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

mbogo wrote:who will be our most senior and or best player in three years?
Lenny of course :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Exactly. Good post and well put. This has been a concern of mine too. I liken having a 650k p/a player on our list over the next few years to having Gary Abblet in the GCS team. Does bugger all to their position on the ladder while they are building their team. He is there mainly for marketing reasons and the other things he offers such as leadership and mentoring could have been provided by a player on half his wage. I don't think we need Goddard for marketing reasons or leadership so at 650k p/a he is overpriced.
We're hardly in the position of the GC suns.

Why are you limiting when this group can or should challenge?

BJ could play another 5 years, you telling me the rise is not going to be within that time frame?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: We're hardly in the position of the GC suns.

BJ could play another 5 years, you telling me the rise is not going to be within that time frame?
The suns will challenge for a flag before we do again.

I don't think we will for at least 5 years and that is if everything goes smashingly recruitment wise.

Riewoldt, Lenny, Joey, Fisher, Milne, Dal & BJ retiring are going to create an absolute supernova for us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote: We're hardly in the position of the GC suns.

The suns will challenge for a flag before we do again.

I don't think we will for at least 5 years and that is if everything goes smashingly recruitment wise.

Riewoldt, Lenny, Joey, Fisher, Milne, Dal & BJ retiring are going to create an absolute supernova for us.

Yep totally agree. It will be about 7 years until we challenge again IMo. That doesnt mean we will be down the bottom in the near future. I think that is more likely in 3 to 4 years. The problem we have is the lack of middle aged players and our stars are clearly our stars and then a very big gap.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Goddard did just enough this season to show he has all the goods, but like a lot of our senior players, didn't go that extra little bit which is why we ended up ninth. The club should not budge in its offer.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Maybe but reality is we wont make top 4 in the next 4 years in any case.

We're hardly in the position of the GC suns.

Probably the best way to answer your question is to refer you to the dragit and P66 posts below yours. They sum it up well enough. Also I'm not limiting at all just looking at the reality of it all. The system is designed to give every club like the Saints a crack every 10-15 years, we just missed ours. Whilst some clubs have been able to return one or more flags in quicker time, we didn't. And with the current state of the list it would appear we are constrained to the systems time frame for giving each club a chance at a flag.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Goddard did just enough this season to show he has all the goods, but like a lot of our senior players, didn't go that extra little bit which is why we ended up ninth. The club should not budge in its offer.
Yeah and he did even less last year which was the most frustrating thing about 2011 because last year was really our last real last chance at a flag. I know there were supporters that thought we were a chance this year but really it was last year, if at all after GF2. If Roo, Goddard, Gilbert and a few others had been still at their best last year...maybe, but not now.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BJ is worth the money. Won't be paying anyone else anytime soon,..,

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:BJ is worth the money. Won't be paying anyone else anytime soon,..,
Come in spinner....

+1