Goddards managers comments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddards managers comments.

stinger wrote:
millarsaint wrote:thought he was ordinary last night and was clearly restricted by his ultra tight whateverittakes bombers jumper and ymca haircut.
he gets cheap possessions alot of the time, and sure is a good kick, but he is not worth what they are paying him for four years.
lol as they did not play him in the middle. commentating saying at the saints he was in no mans land. same thing last night.
dexterity-wise imo he is too slow to play centre.
ruffle his feathers and take him out of the game and then job is a goodin'!

taken across both games he was their most consistent good player.....

It s***s me he didn't lift for two years and comes out going hard for the dodgy Essendon scum. He has always had a problem with his one on one game and his best work has always been as a loose man back using his precision. He does set up a heap of the play. They are cheap in a way but very effective.

We will miss him a bit especially with Grammy out of the same area. That's a huge amount of reload power gone, especially with Sam Fisher playing a more set role. If Gwilt can get back his best- one hand pick ups of the ball and nice long kicking we will be ok and especially if we can get Siposs in there with Dempster and Simpkin. We will still struggle with the hulking forwards though unless one of Blake, Stanley, Hickey or Big Mac can get in front of them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Who said ASADA dont have the right to issue sanctions? I have said all along that the AFL will have bugger all to do with the penalties. And at the moment the Bombers are facing nothing.[/quote]

You are half right, half wrong.

ASADA will determine if any players are suspended.

However the AFL will determine if any action is taken against "The Bombers"..ie the club.

One scenario could be that ASADA cannot prove a drug test, or a circumstantial case, against the players, and if so will most likely do nothing, but the AFL may decide that while the The Bombers cannot be proved to have taken any illegal drugs, that they have brought the AFL into disrepute through poor procedures. In such a case the AFL could impose a number of sanctions on the Dons as a a club.

For example if the Dons have:
* sourced some of their drugs from inappropriate sources.
* failed to keep 100% accurate records of what has been taken (this must be crystal clear).

It could well be that Dons as a club were tipped off abut the Canberra announcement, and just panicked. Though in panicking it tells you that their internal systems must have been flawed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd be playing him mid/forward....

People are harsh about his 2011 IMO, injured his hip in Rd 1 and it was then decided that it would somehow be best if he played out the season with it.

2012 form was indicitive of how he was played, nothing will change my mind on that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'd be playing him mid/forward....

People are harsh about his 2011 IMO, injured his hip in Rd 1 and it was then decided that it would somehow be best if he played out the season with it.

2012 form was indicitive of how he was played, nothing will change my mind on that.

In 2012 wasnt he played in a similar position to where he has been played throughout his career except later in the year he was in the middle more often?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Can the AFL got the "bring the game into disrepute" if they want to? I stress if they want to, as my feeling is that at the moment they're playing the sympathy card for the players in terms of penalties.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

In 2012 wasnt he played in a similar position to where he has been played throughout his career except later in the year he was in the middle more often?
Don't agree with that at all...

Hardly played genuine midfield, only for about 3 weeks towards the end of the year until Roo got injured and he then played forward.

People can bag Essendon, but he will improve them...even if you do think he was overpriced.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hardly played genuine midfield, only for about 3 weeks towards the end of the year until Roo got injured and he then played forward.

People can bag Essendon, but he will improve them...even if you do think he was overpriced.

So where did BJ play last year compared to other years. Looked similar to me. And Essendon will improve because of him but they could afford him and they are on the way up.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

BJ did not play as a pure mid last night.

Last night just reinforced where BJ plays his best football and Essendon would be mad to not play him there.

The Dons will seek to free him up, and then get the ball to him. His distribution is what hurts other teams.

BJ swapped clubs for more money. Believing it was for more midfield time, better shot at a GF is just swallowing the PR.

Note that Buddy is doing a BJ...an Ablett etc now as well. Will not sign while he continues to field offers. He may or may not go....but this is just the way the football world works now unfortunately.

How much a player is influenced by money will vary from individual to indvidual....as well as what the circumstances of other Clubs are. GC could offer over the odds money for Ablett, and Essendon decided to for BJ as well. Roo decided to stay...BJ decided to go.

But can we get over beating up the Saints as a club for not caving in to BJ's salary demands.

Only thing that matters now is whether someone is a Saint or not. If they are not, then they the opposition, and BJ has chosen to be the oposition, unlike many players who get drafted.

Instead I will take joy in watching players like Lenny...and in future in players like Hickey and Siposs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I love it how people try to convince themselves....

Star player lost. Need to admit it to move fwd, otherwise every time he perform well (which he will do more often than not) it will sound foolish try to argue against the obvious

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I love it how people try to convince themselves....

Star player lost. Need to admit it to move fwd, otherwise every time he perform well (which he will do more often than not) it will sound foolish try to argue against the obvious

No doubt about that and people who think otherwise are deluding themselves. The point is though we made a decision not to bankrupt our salary cap and considering where our club is at the moment I think it is the right decision.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No doubt about that and people who think otherwise are deluding themselves. The point is though we made a decision not to bankrupt our salary cap and considering where our club is at the moment I think it is the right decision.
I agree but isn't "bankrupt our salary cap" a slight exaggeration?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I agree but isn't "bankrupt our salary cap" a slight exaggeration?

Well IMO if we kept him we wouldnt be able to chase anyone of note next season. He would have had us 100%. Could we have even got Hickey? Who knows.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So where did BJ play last year compared to other years. Looked similar to me. And Essendon will improve because of him but they could afford him and they are on the way up.
Why are they on the way up?
Their older players hold the team together.
Other than Hurley and now maybe daniher they have no up and coming A graders.
They are in a marginally better position than us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So they are marginally in a better position than us so we finished ahead of them so I think they will jump us and a couple of other sides this year. They were about 9 and one before injuries last year. They also have BJ and we dont. And apart from Fletcher who are there over 30s keeping the side together?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Their rucks and mids look OK to me....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well IMO if we kept him we wouldnt be able to chase anyone of note next season.
Why do people think we are going to secure anyone 'of note' without paying overs in the FA market?

Club will break it's own rule soon enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well IMO if we kept him we wouldnt be able to chase anyone of note next season.
Why do people think we are going to secure anyone 'of note' without paying overs in the FA market?

I dont think we will or should but it limits us if we found money to keep him and if we keep him we finshe 9th instead of 10th. And I doubt we could have got Hickey either who may or may not be a 10 year player for us. BJ is a receiving HBF who wanted 800k a year. We made the correct decision.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I dont think we will or should but it limits us if we found money to keep him and if we keep him we finshe 9th instead of 10th. And I doubt we could have got Hickey either who may or may not be a 10 year player for us. BJ is a receiving HBF who wanted 800k a year. We made the correct decision.
Over 4 years, I think he would of settled for less.

It's a matter of opinion, I'd have preferred we kept him.

Those saying he is not a leader, I thought he has handled himself really well in the media and led well on field last night.

He's gone, I'll get over it....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Over 4 years, I think he would of settled for less.

It's a matter of opinion, I'd have preferred we kept him.

Those saying he is not a leader, I thought he has handled himself really well in the media and led well on field last night.

Well Im glad they didnt offer him 4. Didnt want to lose him but he gone and I am over it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I think you can look at cherry picking guys that are just off the pace for reasonable money. Sydney is good at it. Someone like Liam Jones from the Dogs will be a good player but would attract big money. I actually would look at him as a long term KPB. He kick poorly at goal but can get the ball. Otherwise a heap of talented mids at the new franchises that will want out or pushed out.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

agree !

also the last two years showed that if you want to negate him , you simply have someone run with him !
It frustrates him , and he usually gives away cheap free kicks .

In red white and black from 73
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So they are marginally in a better position than us so we finished ahead of them so I think they will jump us and a couple of other sides this year. They were about 9 and one before injuries last year. They also have BJ and we dont. And apart from Fletcher who are there over 30s keeping the side together?
Why are over 30s old? Bj and jobe are 28 both, older to me, Hille is over 30 as well.
Who are their A graders or up and coming A graders?
They are behind swans, hawks, pies, eagles, dockers, and possibly cats and IMO after this season blues, tigers and roos.
On a par with us and the crows for mine.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Their rucks and mids look OK to me....
Who are their mids?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
will you.....???...i'm still to get over big carl, ian stewart, plugger, hall and luke ball

good teams don't lose good players....and we do ...almost yearly......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I think you can look at cherry picking guys that are just off the pace for reasonable money. Sydney is good at it. Someone like Liam Jones from the Dogs will be a good player but would attract big money. I actually would look at him as a long term KPB. He kick poorly at goal but can get the ball. Otherwise a heap of talented mids at the new franchises that will want out or pushed out.

we should have drafter him in the first place..his dad played for the saint :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.