Cripps Traded

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cripps Traded

hayes66 wrote: Let's have a look at Collingwoods then over the same period???

2001- Mark McCough, Dane Swan, Tristen Walker
2002- F/Son: Cameron Cloke, David King, Mathew Logan.
2003: Father Son: Heath Shaw, Julian Rowe.
2004: Adam Iacobucci
2005: None over forty.Their three picks just before forty were: Danny Stanley, Ryan Cook, Jack Anthony.
2006: Brad Dick, Tyson Goldsack.
2007: Toby Thoolen, F/Son: Jackson Barham
2008: Jared Blight, Luke Rounds.
2009: Ben Sinclair, Josh Thomas, Simon Buckley
2010: Alex Fasolo, Daniel Farmer,Kirk Ugle, Paul Seedaman, Trent Stubbs.

As you can see the the top clubs can pick them after forty and according to a lot of people Collingwood are very good at drafting.
As for the poor old Saints who have they picked up in the forties over the last few years that you rate?
Swan, Goldsack, Fasolo - the only 3 players worth a cracker in ten years… (can't count F/S here)

hayes66
Club Player

Totally agree. Then that's my point , St Kilda, if you take into account were their pick have been, their drafting has not been as bad as people make out. Not perfect but against other AFL clubs, excluding Geelong, The Saints compare favourably. After all they did play in three Grand Finals.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Legendary"][quote="White Winmar"]I've said it before and I'll say it again. The selection of Cripps was one of the greatest howlers in our recent recruiting. Now we've reaped what we sowed. Well done to "Smithers" Elshaug on that selection, and having overlooked Jack Darling, then compounded the problem by selecting Crocker next. Two for none. The thing that frightens me most about the current set up is we have a recruiting manager who has little or no formal training, no demonstrated ability, and so far, a questionable record. I just hope the pelican is pulling the strings on draft day. Smithers has NFI.[/quote]

John Peake selected Cripps. Not Elshaug.

Please apologise to Elshaug. He has had 1 draft and it was last year's.

Elshaug has been involved in footy at the highest level as an assistance coach since the mid 90's, and before that he was a junior and development coach in various leagues in Victoria, as well as having played the game at the highest level.

I'm sorry, but if he can't pick talent with that background, he must have been walking around legally blind the last 3 decades?

I reckon he did a pretty good job last year (so far on what we have seen).

Surely he deserves 3-4 drafts before you rubbish him with absolutely no basis?
It was elshaug's first draft and I know because I did some testing on prospective recruits for him. You come across as a complete ignoramus. You consistently make stupid and ignorant comments. I have known about tony elshaug and his coaching aspirations since 1992 and have worked with a number of industry people who have worked with him since. i have an advantage over you in that i got to meet with him and have a long discussion about prospective recruits for the 2010 draft and i found him to be a bit slow, to put it kindly.

They called him smithers behind his back for reasons i'll let you work out. Has put in for numerous coaching jobs at senior level and was never rated good enough. General consensus in the industry is he's a nice bloke, but not much chop in the grey matter department. Serial "yes" man. It's why he got on with Pagan and Lyon. As for you, the only thing legendary about you is your capacity to write shyte and lies. You can't even be bothered to seek some facts before you shoot off. The only apology that needs to be made around here is from you to me. Unless you were in the recruiting meetings I was at. Then again, I didn't see a goat in the room. Say hello to you're boyfriend Brett. Give him my regards.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:You can't even be bothered to seek some facts before you shoot off. The only apology that needs to be made around here is from you to me. Unless you were in the recruiting meetings I was at. Then again, I didn't see a goat in the room. Say hello to you're boyfriend Brett. Give him my regards.
You've got serious anger management issues, you know that? Some of your posts are worthwhile, some are you going off tap for no real reason. I'm glad I don't know you in real life.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="bergholt"][quote="White Winmar"]You can't even be bothered to seek some facts before you shoot off. The only apology that needs to be made around here is from you to me. Unless you were in the recruiting meetings I was at. Then again, I didn't see a goat in the room. Say hello to you're boyfriend Brett. Give him my regards.[/quote]

You've got serious anger management issues, you know that? Some of your posts are worthwhile, some are you going off tap for no real reason. I'm glad I don't know you in real life.[/quote]
The feeling is mutual. Btw, being called a liar by some know nothing tosser isn't a reason to get a little antsy? You don't know me and for that I'm grateful

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
bergholt wrote:
White Winmar wrote:You can't even be bothered to seek some facts before you shoot off. The only apology that needs to be made around here is from you to me. Unless you were in the recruiting meetings I was at. Then again, I didn't see a goat in the room. Say hello to you're boyfriend Brett. Give him my regards.
You've got serious anger management issues, you know that? Some of your posts are worthwhile, some are you going off tap for no real reason. I'm glad I don't know you in real life.
The feeling is mutual. Btw, being called a liar by some know nothing tosser isn't a reason to get a little antsy? You don't know me and for that I'm grateful
In defence of Tony Elshaug he was only in that position for about a month from what I remember. And apart from Darling and Howe there isnt a lot of good players after Cripps in the first 40 picks. And Darling had issues that every club seemed to be wary of.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Btw, being called a liar by some know nothing tosser isn't a reason to get a little antsy?
It's the Internet. People say stupid s***. The sooner you learn not to take it personally, the lower your blood pressure will be.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Im prepared to stick my neck out and say that i think Cripps will be a very serviceable player for the WC. Probably play 10-15 games next year, and 15-20 the year after (barring injury). Id expect he will be a regular after that.

In some regards,. not unlike when Gram first came to our club.

Put this in the time capsule and lets come back to it in a a couple of years

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Anyone watch him this year?
Didn't see too much to miss myself... but wasn't exactly keeping tabs.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
savatage
SS Life Member

Be lucky to last another season. Cannot find the football.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Be lucky to last another season. Cannot find the football.
Good thing he's not with us then, although every year we need some players that pick themselves to be delisted and if he was still at Seaford he'd be on the bus.

I wonder when the Saints will announce a delisting or 2 ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Averaged 10 ppg in 15 games.... 7 times under 10 possesions

Are we allowed to bag him yet?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Averaged 10 ppg in 15 games.... 7 times under 10 possesions

Are we allowed to bag him yet?

Dont know. he played 15 so someone at WCE saw something. Are we allowed to Steven better than an average footballer yet.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I saw a few WCE games this year and thought Cripps looked pretty good. He's obviously going to take more time but he's still got potential.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Well good to see my prediction is still on track. Let's bump this thread again in 12 months :)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

West Perth into WAFL grand final after four-point win over Claremont in semi-final

East Perth regained four West Coast players for the clash and all had a big say in the result with Jamie Cripps finishing with 22 possessions and five goals, Adam Selwood 32 possessions, Scott Lycett four goals and Blayne Wilson was rock solid in defence.

Mark Hutchings was outstanding for the Falcons with 32 possessions and two goals with Crisp terrific with four majors to go with 21 disposals.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/we ... 6714788106

Kickit
Club Player

Cripps is strange.
In his first year for StKilda one of his four games was ( as a sub ) 8 disposals and 2 goals in one quarter.

Yet when he plays entire games he often has less impact than that. He only gets 15 disposals or less except on special occasions.
To me that's the magic level, if a young player can start getting his hands on the ball 16-20 times per game ( not counting forwards, taggers, and key defenders ) consistently he's probably going to make it. Cripps is in his fourth season next year and so far is not living up to the potential we saw in him as a supersub. Newnes, Ross, Curren are all further along. Hell maybe even Ledger is better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Cripps is strange.
In his first year for StKilda one of his four games was ( as a sub ) 8 disposals and 2 goals in one quarter.

Yet when he plays entire games he often has less impact than that. He only gets 15 disposals or less except on special occasions.
To me that's the magic level, if a young player can start getting his hands on the ball 16-20 times per game ( not counting forwards, taggers, and key defenders ) consistently he's probably going to make it. Cripps is in his fourth season next year and so far is not living up to the potential we saw in him as a supersub. Newnes, Ross, Curren are all further along. Hell maybe even Ledger is better.

Bripps still plays as a defensive forward so its hard to compare him to onball types.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Bripps still plays as a defensive forward so its hard to compare him to onball types.
You actually type with your face don't you, Pluggs?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Bripps still plays as a defensive forward so its hard to compare him to onball types.

Well I dont have hands so yes. Hope you feel better? I know you were just armless but it can be very upsetting sometimes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Well I dont have hands so yes. Hope you feel better? I know you were just armless but it can be very upsetting sometimes.

Oh jesus, don't tell CJ - he's trying to find his lighter to pay you a visit.

defacto
Club Player

what exactly were the personal reasons for cripps wanting to go home, that were outside of his diabetes?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:what exactly were the personal reasons for cripps wanting to go home, that were outside of his diabetes?

His girlfriend lived there as well as his family. it maybe soft but the girlfriend part was the same reason we got Hickey.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

it maybe soft but the girlfriend part was the same reason we got Hickey.
Not the first time a hickey has been blamed on a girlfriend.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

it maybe soft but the girlfriend part was the same reason we got Hickey.
Not the first time a hickey has been blamed on a girlfriend.
:lol: