Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

St. Hellrider wrote:So mcevoy plays for sandy once "hickey takes his spot"???
Right, because you can't have 2 rucks...
Mcevoy is still young, and developing.
His tap work needs improvement, when I say that, he needs to win more ruck contests , because his efficiency when he does win is good.
Hickey may well take the "no.1 ruck spot",
But that wont be for a few years.
Mcevoy is one of the best "around the ground" ruckmen out there, if anyone thinks he won't be in our best 22 once hickey develops, is a fool.
He can play forward or back. He can run all day.

To those questioning his leadership qualities,
Well he has been voted by the players into the leadership group last year, doesn't that tell you something...

He captained the Murray bushrangers( and won the b&f while doing so).
Named captain of the TAC cup all star squad, at centre half fwd, with kruezer in the ruck.

Good post. Give him time to develop. Crikey there are some fans with a want everything now attitude. Ruckmen take time. He's clearly highly regarded by the players and is still only 23. Give him a break. He's still learning and his best footy is well and truly ahead of him.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
evo wrote:I think plugger66 and Curly must be related to Macca by their glowing endorsements. I can not see us improving with him playing first ruck. The club would not have recruited two more rucks if they had any faith in him. Gardi or King would have spanked him easily in their prime. Backline or Sandringham for mine.

Id rather a ruckman taking contested marks across the full back line than running around like a headless chook after contesting the ruck.

Id rather ruckmen pushing forward and kicking goals to be honest

evo
Club Player

So he is going to jump higher this season. I don't think so, just don't get the love for this guy, if he won more in the ruck the backline would not be under so much pressure. More of an issue than full back and if he is first ruck this season then it is going to be a bleak year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:So he is going to jump higher this season. I don't think so, just don't get the love for this guy, if he won more in the ruck the backline would not be under so much pressure. More of an issue than full back and if he is first ruck this season then it is going to be a bleak year.

Well that is clearly not what the club think. They were prepared to offer a lot more for Brown than we did for Hickey even though Hickey has more improvement because of his age. I have asked how Cox and Sandilands were going at 22. Well that should have been 23 and you came back with they werent the number one ruckmen. What that has to do with how they were going is beyond me. The point is they improve a huge amount after 23 years of age. So I ill ask you. How was Cox and Sandilands going at 23 years of age.

Superboot
SS Life Member

To me it's Lenny, then daylight

Roo is generally only a 50% chance of kicking that captain's goal. It's the obvious missing element. In fact, it's the element in the room.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
St. Hellrider wrote:So mcevoy plays for sandy once "hickey takes his spot"???
Right, because you can't have 2 rucks...
Mcevoy is still young, and developing.
His tap work needs improvement, when I say that, he needs to win more ruck contests , because his efficiency when he does win is good.
Hickey may well take the "no.1 ruck spot",
But that wont be for a few years.
Mcevoy is one of the best "around the ground" ruckmen out there, if anyone thinks he won't be in our best 22 once hickey develops, is a fool.
He can play forward or back. He can run all day.

To those questioning his leadership qualities,
Well he has been voted by the players into the leadership group last year, doesn't that tell you something...

He captained the Murray bushrangers( and won the b&f while doing so).
Named captain of the TAC cup all star squad, at centre half fwd, with kruezer in the ruck.

Good post. Give him time to develop. Crikey there are some fans with a want everything now attitude. Ruckmen take time. He's clearly highly regarded by the players and is still only 23. Give him a break. He's still learning and
his best footy is well and truly ahead of him.
So if his best footy is in front of him, what would a pass mark be for this season then???
If his not going to win tap outs to advantage then how many around the ground possesions should he get to make up for the lack of rucking

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
evo wrote:So he is going to jump higher this season. I don't think so, just don't get the love for this guy, if he won more in the ruck the backline would not be under so much pressure. More of an issue than full back and if he is first ruck this season then it is going to be a bleak year.

Well that is clearly not what the club think. They were prepared to offer a lot more for Brown than we did for Hickey even though Hickey has more improvement because of his age. I have asked how Cox and Sandilands were going at 22. Well that should have been 23 and you came back with they werent the number one ruckmen. What that has to do with how they were going is beyond me. The point is they improve a huge amount after 23 years of age. So I ill ask you. How was Cox and Sandilands going at 23 years of age.
Reguardless of how cox was going at 23, wce had an all australian ruckmen in gardner in front of him. It was only when gardner went down with injury is when cox took his chance, and by the way, wasnt cox a rookie to start with.

If we still had gardner today i doubt the Ben would be in the side today.
More to the point, which team would Ben walk into and be the number 1 ruckmen?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:

Reguardless of how cox was going at 23, wce had an all australian ruckmen in gardner in front of him. It was only when gardner went down with injury is when cox took his chance, and by the way, wasnt cox a rookie to start with.

Ben would be number one ruck at Hawthorn, Geelong, Essendon, Melborne, Gold Coast, Gws, Port Adelaide. Collingwood would have retired Jolly if they had Ben, North would prefer him to Goldstein and who knows what Maric will front up with this year. Jacobs at Adelaide well he gives you hit outs but nothing else. Kruzer or McEvoy again nothing there and Mummy at Sydney well again Im sure Ben and him would fight it out for the number one spot.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
PJ
SS Life Member

The question regarding Ben is can you be in the team for work around the ground and not so much tap work? Perhaps if you're the 2nd ruck option.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes Cox was a rookie and that probably proves my point. he was young like Ben and wasnt deemed good enough to get on the main list. I dont know if you have watched footy for a long time because I have no idea how old you are but I have and it takes ruckmen a long time to learn how to become a great ruckman. Ben has already become very good around the ground and his ruck work is improving every year. Can you tell me why Hickey could be as good as Ben this year. Have you seen him play all his games? What are his stats at the moment? To make that statement you must know a lot about him because I gather you know plenty about Ben. By the way how was Sandilands going at 23?
Last edited by plugger66 on Fri 18 Jan 2013 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Ben would be number one ruck at Hawthorn, Geelong, Essendon, Melborne, Gold Coast, Gws, Port Adelaide. Collingwood would have retired Jolly if they had Ben, North would prefer him to Goldstein and who knows what Maric will front up with this year. Jacobs at Adelaide well he gives you hit outs but nothing else. Kruzer or McEvoy again nothing there and Mummy at Sydney well again Im sure Ben and him would fight it out for the number one spot.
Bit of stretch on most of those, I'd have Bailey, Bellchambers, Jamar, Jacobs, Goldstein, Mumford all ahead of McEvoy - at the moment. McEvoy is young and may come good, but he would have barely won the hit out stats for a match so far.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Are you serious, or trying to be funny because I laughed at that.

Hawks have Hale, better forward, bout the same in ruck wont be no#1
Geel just got Hmac. Hmac better but injury prone. if Hmac holds up Ben would def not be no#1
Ess LOL they have 3 rucks better than Ben. I wont even go there, although Hille is getting old. Def wont be no#1 Saying this you may as well of said WCE as well.
Melb. Jamar smashed Ben around the ground and in ruck. Even Clark is a better ruckmen, and he is there forward. Def wont be no#1
Gold. Maybe but prob persist with Smith
GWS Giles has shown more in his first 20 games than Ben's first 20
Port Well maybe we have one candidate.
Coll LOL would never had retired Jolly if they have Ben, especially while there window remains open. If Jolly goes down im sure Hudson would still equal Ben but his a rookie now
North. LOL Goldstein better.
Sydney LOL I Mummy is far better.
Carlt. Kreuzer or Ben??? Lets see how Kreuzer goes this year after a knee reco at the end of 2011. Remember Lenny's recovery from a similar issue a year later was extraordinary.
Adel/Rich After Jacobs and Maric's break out year I doubt that Ben would be even close to taking the no#1 position away from them.

So from all that laughter maybe Port could do with him as a no#1 ruck, but it show you how decimated there ruck stocks were after Brogan and co.
Last edited by ROLS-LEE on Fri 18 Jan 2013 12:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

dragit wrote:
CURLY wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Bit of stretch on most of those, I'd have Bailey, Bellchambers, Jamar, Jacobs, Goldstein, Mumford all ahead of McEvoy - at the moment. McEvoy is young and may come good, but he would have barely won the hit out stats for a match so far.

Your right.

He beat his opponent twice last year. Melb without Jamar and Bris. Got smashed almost every other time in the other 14

St. Hellrider

@ curly.
I agree.

I believe he should improve his rucking this year,
And the rest of his game should progress to another level too.

He we never be as good a tap ruck as others out there, and hickey shows a lot of promise.
In the future I would hope hickey can take that "no.1 spot" and I think he will.
But if mcevoy is dropped, I will eat my hat.
He will rest forward or back, and play stints in the ruck.

Most afl sides these days 2 rucks.
In fact I'm pretty sure the only reason some teams don't, is because they don't have 2 available.

Cox is no longer no.1 at west coast, don't see him playing WAFL?
I'd rather mcevoy in our forward line than Goldstein or Jacobs.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:

]

Geel just got Hmac. Hmac better but injury prone. if Hmac holds up Ben would def not be no#1
Ess LOL they have 3 rucks better than Ben. I wont even go there, although Hille is getting old. Def wont be no#1 Saying this you may as well of said WCE as well.
Melb. Jamar smashed Ben around the ground and in ruck. Even Clark is a better ruckmen, and he is there forward. Def wont be no#1
Coll LOL would never had retired Jolly if they have Ben, especially while there window remains open. If Jolly goes down im sure Hudson would still equal Ben but his a rookie now
Carlt. Kreuzer or Ben??? Lets see how Kreuzer goes this year after a knee reco at the end of 2011. Remember Lenny's recovery from a similar issue a year later was extraordinary.
Adel/Rich After Jacobs and Maric's break out year I doubt that Ben would be even close to taking the no#1 position away from them.

So from all that laughter maybe Port could do with him as a no#1 ruck, but it show you how decimated there ruck stocks were after Brogan and co.

You have no idea how important what Ben does do you? Ben is a better player than all those on the list including Goldstein who is useless around the ground. He could win the hit outs 30-10 and Bens influence would still be greater. Maric has had one year better than Bens so I will wait for him to back it up before I rate him anywhere near our 23 year old ruck.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ben is improving.

However when our centre struggled in 2011, it wasn't a mid that got dropped...

He needs to do more, a bit of pressure on his spot won't hurt.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

]

You have no idea how important what Ben does do you? Ben is a better player than all those on the list including Goldstein who is useless around the ground. He could win the hit outs 30-10 and Bens influence would still be greater. Maric has had one year better than Bens so I will wait for him to back it up before I rate him anywhere near our 23 year old ruck.
He averaged 5 marks and 12 disposals a match this year... Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer a ruckmen to win hitouts over taking 5 marks...
Mac could become the best ruckmen in the league, but at the moment he's clearly not winning enough hitouts his first & foremost job.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

]

He averaged 5 marks and 12 disposals a match this year... Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer a ruckmen to win hitouts over taking 5 marks...
Mac could become the best ruckmen in the league, but at the moment he's clearly not winning enough hitouts his first & foremost job.
Youd be happy if we recruited Mark Blake then?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Why, when did Blake dominate the comp for hitouts?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Why, when did Blake dominate the comp for hitouts?

Was one of the best tap ruckman going around. Just contributed nothing around the ground so Geelong got rid of him. Them all 17 clubs over looked him. They know nothing obviously.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goddard or Luke Ball

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:

Was one of the best tap ruckman going around. Just contributed nothing around the ground so Geelong got rid of him. Them all 17 clubs over looked him. They know nothing obviously.
Hilarious, best tap ruckmen going... Not even at VFL level.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Goddard or Luke Ball

This is about the saints captain. They play at other clubs.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

The fact you think its hilarious backs me up completely. Blake was a spud around the ground but had beuatiful soft hands in the ruck is tap work was first rate.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
dragit wrote:

The fact you think its hilarious backs me up completely. Blake was a spud around the ground but had beuatiful soft hands in the ruck is tap work was first rate.
Sure thing & right now McEvoy would be number 1 ruckmen at 14 other clubs, would usurp Jolly and give Mumford & Natanui stiff competition... Can't fault that logic.

Not sure how you've weaved Mark Blake into this thread, he was always a spud absolutely loathed by Geelong fans and was dumped approaching the peak of his career. Keeping him over King was a huge mistake, just ask any Cats fan. No one is asking for donkey who wins taps and nothing else... But McEvoy needs to start getting his hands to ball first & that is a fact. I'm sure he has heaps of improvement left, FWIW I like him, competition for spots is the best motivation so hopefully Hickey does that.