Intra club game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intra club game

Tom Curren‏@tcurren43

Great support shown at our first intra club match for the 2013 season.. The boys appreciate it!
Nick Dal Santo‏@NickDalSanto

Intra club completed. Great to be back playing games. Thanks to all Saints fans coming out to support us this morning #saints2013
Ahmed Saad‏@ahmedsaad23

Good first hit out for 2013 this morning! Thanks to all the saints fans & supporters who came out to watch us! #muchappreciated #saints2013
David Armitage‏@armo_20

@ahmedsaad23 good call Sardine. Now to kick Back and have Cupla. #saints2013 #nirvana

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Video news report
http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/milne-i ... =FoxSports

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video/afl

can't get a specific link but under the heading "Milne still going strong"
February 09, 2013: In his 14th pre-season, Stephen Milne is showing few signs he's slowing up after a best-on-ground performance in St Kilda's intra-club match. 9 Feb 2013 | 29 Views
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 09 Feb 2013 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
dragit
Saintsational Legend

David Armitage‏@armo_20

@ahmedsaad23 good call Sardine. Now to kick Back and have Cupla. #saints2013 #nirvana
Don't want to get all wowserish on everyone but… I kinda hoped that the players might refrain from hitting the cans too hard at this stage of the year… We are talking about absolute elite athletes where every % is important…

At any rate I assume Ahmed doesn't drink? Funny retweet…

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

More photos

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/Search/Se ... Type=image#

getty have the correct player- but both they and afl photos seem to like Big beau and take lots of photos

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Flew in from Adelaide for a day trip with my son because we never get to see the second tier players and really enjoyed it - and that was our main focus today.

Shenton surprised and was really hard at it in defence. Did enough to get first crack at Back pocket in the NaB cup I would have thought and will press for selection come season proper. Was my pick as the best of the Non-regular players.

Curren wins plenty of his own ball but decision making still needs some work.

I must have got Lever and Ferguson confused because I thought Lever showed a few glimpses in defence - not enough to win a senior spot but enough to suggest he could play all season in Sandy seniors and build into a key defensive prospect for 2014.

Crowd was at least 2000 IMHO.

Steven, Wilkes, Armo and Milne best of the senior players. Wilkes is in no danger of losing his spot to Lee this year. Lee has some work to do and will really struggle against quality defenders.

If Hickey can improve his field play will be one of the better rucks in the comp as his tap work is good,

Wright moves well and potential to become a Lenny Hayes type 3-5 years from now, but not ready for senior footy at present.

Saunders showed enough to suggest he also could make it in the long term.

Roberton & TDL are there for depth only.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
David Armitage‏@armo_20

Don't want to get all wowserish on everyone but… I kinda hoped that the players might refrain from hitting the cans too hard at this stage of the year… We are talking about absolute elite athletes where every % is important…

At any rate I assume Ahmed doesn't drink? Funny retweet…

As he is a practising muslim Ahmed most liekly wouldn't drink alcohol.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Flew in from Adelaide for a day trip with my son because we never get to see the second tier players and really enjoyed it - and that was our main focus today.

Shenton surprised and was really hard at it in defence. Did enough to get first crack at Back pocket in the NaB cup I would have thought and will press for selection come season proper. Was my pick as the best of the Non-regular players.

Curren wins plenty of his own ball but decision making still needs some work.

I must have got Lever and Ferguson confused because I thought Lever showed a few glimpses in defence - not enough to win a senior spot but enough to suggest he could play all season in Sandy seniors and build into a key defensive prospect for 2014.

Crowd was at least 2000 IMHO.

Steven, Wilkes, Armo and Milne best of the senior players. Wilkes is in no danger of losing his spot to Lee this year. Lee has some work to do and will really struggle against quality defenders.

If Hickey can improve his field play will be one of the better rucks in the comp as his tap work is good,

Wright moves well and potential to become a Lenny Hayes type 3-5 years from now, but not ready for senior footy at present.

Saunders showed enough to suggest he also could make it in the long term.

Roberton & TDL are there for depth only.
Hope you had fun :D

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Edit: I missed Staley who, out of Ferg, Lever and himself is the one who suprised me. Is a natural FB and a good spoiler, still a bit raw, but I know have pretty high hopes for him after todays efforts.

Hickey - impressed me a lot, shared the choccies with Mac - definitely not out of his depth and will be a player.
Siposs - wow, smart, read the play well, didn't miss one target and didn't get beaten in a contest. Only worry is that he ran himself into the ground and had to have a quarter or two off. So impressed though...
Steven - looks in top nick and with Armo, were the best two mids. A couple of times he tried to be half a dozen players on his own but with a bit more match simulation he'll improve.
Jones - solid, typical no nonsense CJ game with some woeful but usually straight kicking.
McEvoy - 50/50 with Hickey. Only played a half and jogged to the rooms with a trainer - both he and Hickey will be formidable.
TDL - couple of awesome bullet passes hitting leads. But didn't see enough of it.
Tom Lee - Took a nice mark on the wing, created a fair bit with off the ball shephards and the likes... but... if it was out of him and Beau he is starting from miles back. Didn't get a lot of it and tried to be too cute when he did.
Roberton - He is taller than I thought, spoiled well and was unsuspecting. Wasn't out of his depth but was unspectacular. Will be pushing for Gilbo/Gwilts spot.
Joey - Just Joey, nothing special but we know what we are going to get.
Geary - disappointed, played midfield and while he was his usual hard at it self, his disposal really let him down. Went back to the backline where he looked more comfortable.
Ledger - Takes too long, picks wrong options and just slams it on his boot. I have fears for this kid as I keep seeing the same things.
Newnes - Played midfield/wing and he has quickly become my favourite player with Sippa. Has the poise of a veteran, strong yet silky just like Dal Santo.
Gilbert - Is fast becoming a fringe player. Needs to step it up but is under pressure.
Armo - Best of the mids today. Played almost a Dustin Martin role, was damaging and is set for a big year.
Saad - Typical Saad, still has a lot to learn about the game, awareness lets him down and he gets caught far too often with the ball. Having said that he is very exciting and has a big future.
Ray - Spread really well, got frustrated with some of the younger guys but sets high standards. Think he will have a big year - looks focussed.
Kosi - Like his game, kicked a couple of rippers and CAN look a million dollars at times. I don't get the criticism, but it will still come no doubt.
Fisher - Largely unsighted, did what he had to do when he had to do it. Looked a lot bigger than I've seen him before - maybe to help him play on some gorillas?
NDS - Training drill for Dal
Blake - Meh
Webster - Saw a couple of signs where he broke through packs - had a decent hitout we just hope he can have an injury free season.
Simpkin - didn't do much but didn't need to
Milera - I actually asked half way through if he was playing. Did a few magic tricks out there but needs to get his hands on it more often.
Gwilt - See Simpkin.
Wright - Did a couple of nice things but I would be suprised to see him get games.
Saunders - I wanted him to star but found the pace a bit much. Did some good things though and he will be a player, shorter than I thought.
Lever - Didn't really notice him
Wilkes - Pick of the fwds, marked everything and solid on the lead. Played a fantastic game - real suprise packet and is light years ahead of Lee based on todays game
Dunell - Is flashy to me, can be a good player as has the tools but today didn't do a lot.
Shenton - Ok off the back flank, put in some good spoils but reality is he is coming from a fair way back
Curren - ran down Saad in an inspiration play. Got a fair bit of it and use it well most of the time. Is a long way ahead of Ledger and the other fringe players. Is built like a player and tackled hard. In reality, Newnes, Ross and the other regular mids are ahead of him but he was pretty good today. One of those kids you just want to see succeed as you know how much work he puts in.
Milne - As youthful as ever, kicked a few and set for another 50 goal year. First one over to the supporters too...
Ferguson - looks like our big hope physically but is still a way off in footballing terms.

All in all, impressive outing, skills very good, kicking for goal very good apart from a couple of shockers - forwards dominated the game - our biggest concern but also our biggest asset...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Well done Zed and family ,will be a change for you to see them 2 weeks in a row

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Saunders - I wanted him to star but found the pace a bit much. Did some good things though and he will be a player, shorter than I thought.
Thanks for the detailed report, mate. If Saunders found the pace a bit much in an intra-club game in early February, sounds like there's little chance of him getting to AFL level this year?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Well done Zed and family ,will be a change for you to see them 2 weeks in a row
Good effort Zed & son.

Just a question: did it take longer to get from Melbourne airport to Seaford than the flight from Adeliade to Melbourne? :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Loxton
Club Player

Thanks for all the reports and pics. :D

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
St Ick wrote:Saunders - I wanted him to star but found the pace a bit much. Did some good things though and he will be a player, shorter than I thought.
Thanks for the detailed report, mate. If Saunders found the pace a bit much in an intra-club game in early February, sounds like there's little chance of him getting to AFL level this year?
No worries, I think its common, he is coming from U18 to senior footy. I really don't see him getting games - not to say he isn't any good but there are a number of others who are more ready.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:milne is still.....milne...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6574414510
You know bigcarl already posted this an hour ago in this same thread, right? Do you bother reading anything anyone else writes?
usually not if it's written by turkeys such as yourself, creep...

this was a really good thread...then you have to go and stick your flowering nose into it...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

typical of you really....
Last edited by stinger on Sun 10 Feb 2013 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
dragit wrote:
Seaford_Saint wrote:- Sipposs will play HBF/Mid, and is clearly the new improved version of Goddard
Appreciate the report, but I think we might be expecting a bit much if we think he is going to a better player than Goddard next year… One is a 16 gamer with potential but who is still on the fringe of the senior side, the other is 200 game dual AA, in the top ten paid players in the comp.
Goddard isn't in the top 30 players in the comp, though.

No doubt we as fans over hype players willy nilly... but Sippos is legit.

Most improved player this year for sure.
& Sippa would be lucky to crack the top 300 players in the comp either at this stage,
Let's hope he becomes #1 in the comp, but at this stage he's on the fringe of a middle tier side.
juz sayn'

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I forgot to add that ALL the players went around the ground after the game to thank the fans, sign autographs and have pics taken. From what I saw, everyone who wanted an autograph or a pic got what they wanted !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

damienc
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Edit: I missed Staley who, out of Ferg, Lever and himself is the one who suprised me. Is a natural FB and a good spoiler, still a bit raw, but I know have pretty high hopes for him after todays efforts.

Hickey - impressed me a lot, shared the choccies with Mac - definitely not out of his depth and will be a player.
Siposs - wow, smart, read the play well, didn't miss one target and didn't get beaten in a contest. Only worry is that he ran himself into the ground and had to have a quarter or two off. So impressed though...
Steven - looks in top nick and with Armo, were the best two mids. A couple of times he tried to be half a dozen players on his own but with a bit more match simulation he'll improve.
Jones - solid, typical no nonsense CJ game with some woeful but usually straight kicking.
McEvoy - 50/50 with Hickey. Only played a half and jogged to the rooms with a trainer - both he and Hickey will be formidable.
TDL - couple of awesome bullet passes hitting leads. But didn't see enough of it.
Tom Lee - Took a nice mark on the wing, created a fair bit with off the ball shephards and the likes... but... if it was out of him and Beau he is starting from miles back. Didn't get a lot of it and tried to be too cute when he did.
Roberton - He is taller than I thought, spoiled well and was unsuspecting. Wasn't out of his depth but was unspectacular. Will be pushing for Gilbo/Gwilts spot.
Joey - Just Joey, nothing special but we know what we are going to get.
Geary - disappointed, played midfield and while he was his usual hard at it self, his disposal really let him down. Went back to the backline where he looked more comfortable.
Ledger - Takes too long, picks wrong options and just slams it on his boot. I have fears for this kid as I keep seeing the same things.
Newnes - Played midfield/wing and he has quickly become my favourite player with Sippa. Has the poise of a veteran, strong yet silky just like Dal Santo.
Gilbert - Is fast becoming a fringe player. Needs to step it up but is under pressure.
Armo - Best of the mids today. Played almost a Dustin Martin role, was damaging and is set for a big year.
Saad - Typical Saad, still has a lot to learn about the game, awareness lets him down and he gets caught far too often with the ball. Having said that he is very exciting and has a big future.
Ray - Spread really well, got frustrated with some of the younger guys but sets high standards. Think he will have a big year - looks focussed.
Kosi - Like his game, kicked a couple of rippers and CAN look a million dollars at times. I don't get the criticism, but it will still come no doubt.
Fisher - Largely unsighted, did what he had to do when he had to do it. Looked a lot bigger than I've seen him before - maybe to help him play on some gorillas?
NDS - Training drill for Dal
Blake - Meh
Webster - Saw a couple of signs where he broke through packs - had a decent hitout we just hope he can have an injury free season.
Simpkin - didn't do much but didn't need to
Milera - I actually asked half way through if he was playing. Did a few magic tricks out there but needs to get his hands on it more often.
Gwilt - See Simpkin.
Wright - Did a couple of nice things but I would be suprised to see him get games.
Saunders - I wanted him to star but found the pace a bit much. Did some good things though and he will be a player, shorter than I thought.
Lever - Didn't really notice him
Wilkes - Pick of the fwds, marked everything and solid on the lead. Played a fantastic game - real suprise packet and is light years ahead of Lee based on todays game
Dunell - Is flashy to me, can be a good player as has the tools but today didn't do a lot.
Shenton - Ok off the back flank, put in some good spoils but reality is he is coming from a fair way back
Curren - ran down Saad in an inspiration play. Got a fair bit of it and use it well most of the time. Is a long way ahead of Ledger and the other fringe players. Is built like a player and tackled hard. In reality, Newnes, Ross and the other regular mids are ahead of him but he was pretty good today. One of those kids you just want to see succeed as you know how much work he puts in.
Milne - As youthful as ever, kicked a few and set for another 50 goal year. First one over to the supporters too...
Ferguson - looks like our big hope physically but is still a way off in footballing terms.

All in all, impressive outing, skills very good, kicking for goal very good apart from a couple of shockers - forwards dominated the game - our biggest concern but also our biggest asset...
Excellent analysis for someone like me who didn't see the game. In fact all of the posts have been excellent. Early days I know but it looks like there were some encouraging signs for Saints supporters. I was hoping Lee might have done more. Let's see how he goes in the NAB Cup. Looking forward to seeing some of the young kids who didn't get to play in the practice game make an appearance in the NAB.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Eastern wrote:I forgot to add that ALL the players went around the ground after the game to thank the fans, sign autographs and have pics taken. From what I saw, everyone who wanted an autograph or a pic got what they wanted !!
Correct Eastern. Both my kids got autographs from basically the entire list and the coach, and it got to the point that one of the staff was sent out to go and bring in the stragglers who were still out there diligently signing away (armo, jones, Saad, Milera) as they needed to be in for the warm down etc. Great effort from the club.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

damienc wrote: Excellent analysis for someone like me who didn't see the game. In fact all of the posts have been excellent. Early days I know but it looks like there were some encouraging signs for Saints supporters. I was hoping Lee might have done more. Let's see how he goes in the NAB Cup. Looking forward to seeing some of the young kids who didn't get to play in the practice game make an appearance in the NAB.
I think the overall thing to note is that it is a preseason intra-club hit-out, if someone didn't fire on the day I wouldn't be too worried, there may still be an outside chance they'll make it :roll: (excuse the heavy sarcasm), but overall as a team our pace and ability to hit targets by foot seem to be on the improve. There's a lack of pressure inherent in the nature of the game, but I am really looking forward to seeing if those atttributes are still as obvious as the game pressure starts to increase as we head in to proper games.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
squiz
Club Player

Did Seb Ross play?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

squiz wrote:Did Seb Ross play?

No he had a cold?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know why Murdoch didn't play?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
bergholt wrote:You know bigcarl already posted this an hour ago in this same thread, right? Do you bother reading anything anyone else writes?
usually not if it's written by turkeys such as yourself, creep...

this was a really good thread...then you have to go and stick your flowering nose into it...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

typical of you really....
?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

did anyone go to last year's intra-club and if they can remember was this year's better?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:did anyone go to last year's intra-club and if they can remember was this year's better?
numbers wise for attendance it would have to have been better this year
It was 9.30 on a Friday Morning 12 months to the date from yesterday ( was probably following Micks lead in having them during the week. This year membership and he conferred. :)
. just a few months into Scott's tenure. reports here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74474&p=1190517&hil ... 2#p1190517

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY