Saints Team Rd 1 v Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Team Rd 1 v Gold Coast

SaintPav wrote:Any word on Sam Fisher and how he's going?
Prolly slumped on a table of coke with Dane Swan according to the media

stevie
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Saintly & SainterK,
Dave is referring to Collingwood selecting Brodie Grundy ahead of Spencer White. Rumour is the Pies were set to select White with one of their first rounders. They didnt expect Grundy to slide so far so they selected him instead of White.

thanks, but also who is skinks?
Skinks were a band who had hits like 'Slola', 'Watersloo Slunset' and 'You Really Slot Me'... :lol:

PJ
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
PJ wrote:I know most aren't happy with 3 talls but you've gotta remeber that Rhys is hardly a lumbering big man that slows us down.
Granted, but thus far doesn't get as much of the pill as a medium or small.
Have to disagree BC - depends on who comes in and where they play. A medium or small forward such as TDL would get probably way get less than Rhys and have way less physical impact. If you are talking mids then I would argue that we don't have outside of the current selected team anyone that would impact the game based on pre-season form.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
cannavaro17
Club Player

So does this mean Stanley ain't a defender anymore?

Winmar
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Have to disagree BC - depends on who comes in and where they play. A medium or small forward such as TDL would get probably way get less than Rhys and have way less physical impact. If you are talking mids then I would argue that we don't have outside of the current selected team anyone that would impact the game based on pre-season form.
You're allowed to disgree. For what its worth, here is my reasoning.

Apart from his lack of match practice and inability thus far in his career to win big stats, the other problem is team balance.

We have Riewoldt, Maister and most probably a resting ruckman in Hickey or McEvoy. That's plenty of height up forward. We have some very handy goal-kicking small forwards who haven't got a gig in this game such as Schneider and TDL. We also have another tall forward waiting in the wings in Tom Lee, who is a proven goalkicker, albeit at WAFL level.

It becomes difficult to squeeze Rhys into that forward line.

The only spot I can see for him is in defence and it's hard to know whether he's going to be any good at it on the basis of a quarter or a half or whatever it was in one NAB Cup game.

I actually rate him very highly on his attributes and I think the coach does, too, but team balance is going to make it hard this week unless he can play as a key defender.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think you're arguing like for like. Rhys doesn't represent anything we've had before. He could quite concievably create the profile of a player that no-one has seen before. A Tall with speed that can play either end or in the midfield.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Still cannot play as a runner... Just not good enough below the knees....... And whist he is quick in a straight line after he gets going... His agility would be shown up at ground level.

Sam Gilbert is an interesting player

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think you're arguing like for like. Rhys doesn't represent anything we've had before. He could quite concievably create the profile of a player that no-one has seen before. A Tall with speed that can play either end or in the midfield.
I'm arguing team balance.

If we've got Riewoldt, Maister and McEvoy or Hickey up forward there's going to be plenty of crumbing opportunities and we have better crumbing opportunists than Rhys.

Unless he plays in defence ahead of Blake or Simpkin. Personally I reckon he'll start as sub.

Look, he has some exciting attributes like height and speed. If he delivers on the hype like everyone hopes he's a potential star. I hope he's another Dustin Fletcher or better, but it is all on potential so far rather than results.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

BigMart wrote:A sub should really be a dangerous player, capable of coming on and taking advantage of tiring players.... Would CJ be damaging coming on fresh??

IMO Blake will play CHB
Simpkin FB
Gwilt Third tall
Roberton rebounding utility

Stanley in the FP, will be subbed off after HT.... On will come another runner... Perhaps Ray
I hear what you are saying but it doesn't necessarily need to be the case. Shutting down a damaging playing is equal to being a damaging player, perhaps.

Another point; has anyone mentioned Dunell? Personally I was un-rocked by his NAB performances. He is not in the 25.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If Stanley plays it should be on one of the young GC tall forwards. They'll have these three as primary forwards

Day 196cm
Dixon 200cm
May 190cm

Then Brennan (195cm) and Smith (205) will rotate through as well.

That gives Stanley, Blake and Simpkin a tall opponent all match and Gwilt will probably end up on the resting ruckman/tall utility. No issue of balance there. Geary on Matera, Roberton on any medium/small marking target they have.

I imagine Ray or Newnes will be sub. Milera an outside chance but we'd be a little short on run/creativity without Joey and Schneider as well.

defacto
Club Player

any word on any late changes?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Late Change: In Dennis-Lane
Out: Simpkin

The weather is fine 24 deg overcast and humid but not oppressive. There is a slight breeze to the scoreboard end. (1 hour ago)

Sub: Dennis-Lane

From BF Saints board
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 30 Mar 2013 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
70s sainter
Club Player

Simpkin out- getting more nervous ........