Jack Watts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Watts

Club Champion!

And
He was 24

And you missed the point?

Great teams, are not built on individuals.... Team is bigger than that. The person who knows that better than anyone wears #7

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Club Champion!

And
He was 24

And you missed the point?

Great teams, are not built on individuals.... Team is bigger than that. The person who knows that better than anyone wears #7

You surely are the riddler. Answer the questions for a change. Have no idea what club champion who is 24 even means.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

Please don't demand an answer from me, last I checked you are not an authority figure over me. You need to understand your not an authority on here at all...

You don't respond or answer many question I ask of you, especially when you don't have an answer.... That's your choice.

Your have a different opinion to me on a lot of things... Fine

What I don't like, is this idea that because I choose to criticise decisions from my point of view, that somehow I am not supporting the club. FFS we are the least successful club in the AFL and you carry on like they are perfect and can't be subject to question..... And if anyone does question you attack them, and take the moral high ground. Use the easy argument of they know more.... Then when the decision fails, nothing.

I love StK.... But unlike many others, am not proud of the lack of achievement and yearn for us to become a powerhouse. Poor decision making and lack of leadership has cost us success sometimes right on the cusp of success... This frustrates people like me, but not as much as arrogant supporters who believe their unconditional support gives them more credibility.
StK needs to address it mistakes if it is to go forward
Not make piss weak excuses to defend them

Funny thing is
I reckon SW knows this...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

Please don't demand an answer from me, last I checked you are not an authority figure over me. You need to understand your not an authority on here at all...

You don't respond or answer many question I ask of you, especially when you don't have an answer.... That's your choice.

Your have a different opinion to me on a lot of things... Fine

What I don't like, is this idea that because I choose to criticise decisions from my point of view, that somehow I am not supporting the club. FFS we are the least successful club in the AFL and you carry on like they are perfect and can't be subject to question..... And if anyone does question you attack them, and take the moral high ground. Use the easy argument of they know more.... Then when the decision fails, nothing.

I love StK.... But unlike many others, am not proud of the lack of achievement and yearn for us to become a powerhouse. Poor decision making and lack of leadership has cost us success sometimes right on the cusp of success... This frustrates people like me, but not as much as arrogant supporters who believe their unconditional support gives them more credibility.
StK needs to address it mistakes if it is to go forward
Not make piss weak excuses to defend them

Funny thing is
I reckon SW knows this...

Im sure the other day you demanded a naswer from me even though I answered it in another thread. At least i know why you dont answer. I like some of your ranting but i have no idea who it directed at. Certainly not much of what you wrote is something we have discussed but you did say P66 first so maybe i did and missed it.

I will ask these questions again and hope you have an answer. Im pretty sure that isnt a demand.
And why do Dal and Joey get traded this year but not last year? Is there some magical age where someone can not be better than someone else?
And he was given another year this year which you said you agreed but after 2 games you want him to retire. Can I ask what was the point of giving him another year if 2 games in he should finish at the end of the year? Lets wait until round 12 before we decide he iant good enough. And you said the exact same thing last year so why is it different this year?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure I have said, when making a claim to support your argument ..... So if Your 'sure' I demanded an answer from you, you have every right to ignore it.... But again, you need to provide a reference if you're going to bring it up.

Answer the question for a change. Without a ? Sounds a bit demanding, possibly condescending..... But that's not you now, is it?

I will choose to answer your question, but first of all with a question

You have just said Lenny was 'close to A Grade' ATM. Was he A Grade in 2009/10?? No doubt your answer will be most definitely yes. It is reasonable to suggest he was in the top 10 players in the AFL at the time. So whilst being excellent at stk in 2012 and he made a great recovery (better than most thought) he is no longer in your eyes considered A Grade, or only just???
The fact is, if he is our best mid at 34 and he is no longer as good as one or perhaps two in other teams, we are in dire straits... Because he's not closing the gap on a Cotchin, it's getting wider. On the broadcast last week was the simple statement by Leigh Matthews
Cotchin and Hayes are probably an example of where the two lists are at.

We need to find our NEXT midfield. Len unfortunately won't be a part of it. If he is either Dal or Joey have to go.... CJ definitely has to go.... This is for next year.

We need to open up at least two spots and again players need to step up
Like Dal did in 2012 when he was A Grade
Jack did in 2012 where he was B Grade
Armo is doing currently where he is going well

We need fresh talent in the midfield to regenerate the team.

IMO
We need to chase either a 'go home' from an interstate team or a free agent. I especially like free agent because we lose nothing and it might bring in 5 years of leadership. And accelerate our rise. With the inclusion of Ross or another kid.... All of a sudden we have

An A Grader @ 27
Dal and Joey.... Two experienced mids @ 30
Jack at 24
Armo at 25
Ross at 21

After that
Trade at 21-24
Wright at 19
Newnes at 20

Perhaps Ledger at 21, or Perhaps Curran at 21, or perhaps another kid from the draft

All of a sudden we are not so old.... And have scope to improve

What is the magical number?? There are two
Well over 30 and past his best , and bottom 4 on the ladder

To be really harsh, if we finish 15th in 2013, and Lenny has a solid year..... What was the benefit of him playing? That's harsh I suppose, because he provides terrific leadership. But I'd like to see others do that, take their game to the next level and not need inspiration from Lenny. Extend that to next year, if he plays again, how are we improving??
The biggest improvement has to come from the midfield!

Btw if we were 6th on the ladder and on the way up.... I'd beg him to stay on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I'm sure I have said, when making a claim to support your argument ..... So if Your 'sure' I demanded an answer from you, you have every right to ignore it.... But again, you need to provide a reference if you're going to bring it up.

Answer the question for a change. Without a ? Sounds a bit demanding, possibly condescending..... But that's not you now, is it?

I will choose to answer your question, but first of all with a question

You have just said Lenny was 'close to A Grade' ATM. Was he A Grade in 2009/10?? No doubt your answer will be most definitely yes. It is reasonable to suggest he was in the top 10 players in the AFL at the time. So whilst being excellent at stk in 2012 and he made a great recovery (better than most thought) he is no longer in your eyes considered A Grade, or only just???
The fact is, if he is our best mid at 34 and he is no longer as good as one or perhaps two in other teams, we are in dire straits... Because he's not closing the gap on a Cotchin, it's getting wider. On the broadcast last week was the simple statement by Leigh Matthews
Cotchin and Hayes are probably an example of where the two lists are at.

We need to find our NEXT midfield. Len unfortunately won't be a part of it. If he is either Dal or Joey have to go.... CJ definitely has to go.... This is for next year.

We need to open up at least two spots and again players need to step up
Like Dal did in 2012 when he was A Grade
Jack did in 2012 where he was B Grade
Armo is doing currently where he is going well

We need fresh talent in the midfield to regenerate the team.

IMO
We need to chase either a 'go home' from an interstate team or a free agent. I especially like free agent because we lose nothing and it might bring in 5 years of leadership. And accelerate our rise. With the inclusion of Ross or another kid.... All of a sudden we have

An A Grader @ 27
Dal and Joey.... Two experienced mids @ 30
Jack at 24
Armo at 25
Ross at 21

After that
Trade at 21-24
Wright at 19
Newnes at 20

Perhaps Ledger at 21, or Perhaps Curran at 21, or perhaps another kid from the draft

All of a sudden we are not so old.... And have scope to improve

What is the magical number?? There are two
Well over 30 and past his best , and bottom 4 on the ladder

To be really harsh, if we finish 15th in 2013, and Lenny has a solid year..... What was the benefit of him playing? That's harsh I suppose, because he provides terrific leadership. But I'd like to see others do that, take their game to the next level and not need inspiration from Lenny. Extend that to next year, if he plays again, how are we improving??
The biggest improvement has to come from the midfield!

Btw if we were 6th on the ladder and on the way up.... I'd beg him to stay on.

Good start BM. The line below is your line from above.

Answer the question for a change. Without a ? Sounds a bit demanding, possibly condescending..... But that's not you now, is it? And you say i am condescending. Seriously you make me sound as sweet as pies.
Now back to what you wrote. the difference between you amd my thinking is I beleive you can never have enough mids so lenny playing isnt keeping anyone out because we are 2 or 3 mids light as it is. And i still dont get how you were happy to play him this year but after 2 games this year he is gone. You said the same last year after one game. Why is 34 the magical age when 33 wasnt?

And i said Lenny was close or may have well been an A grader this year. That is good enough for me if he finishes the year off well. Im sorry but i dont make decisions after 2 games. If I thought I would then i wouldnt have re signed him because is wasting the clubs time if after 2 games we have had enough.

And i disagree totally about a FA unless they are superstars. One good FA will just replace Lenny at best so what is the point? And didnt you say Lenny had to go to ive guys like Seb a chance but now you are replacing him with a FA so he doesnt get a chance anyway. If i was doing a trade and where the club is at i wouldnt get anyone over 25 years of age and even that maybe to old.

Anyway i have no idea if Milney or lenny should retire at the end of the year because it is round 2. Call me boring but i am just using experience as a guide. Last year people wanted both out after round 2 and we got an AA and a B&F winner out of them.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Or they could have improved anyway, and with the other player you might have won the premiership

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Surely you realised I took that from your post??? "Answer the question for a change" were the words you used!

Maybe if Lenny continues to hold his spot, if we compare him to a kid (he will) he can hold them out for three years.... Not sure how the team is going to benefit....he will continue to play good games, he might even get a BOG or two....

Is Lenny Hayes going to lead the next midfield into the Finals?

That should be the Job of a player in his prime..... Not well past 30

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Surely you realised I took that from your post??? "Answer the question for a change" were the words you used!

Maybe if Lenny continues to hold his spot, if we compare him to a kid (he will) he can hold them out for three years.... Not sure how the team is going to benefit....he will continue to play good games, he might even get a BOG or two....

Is Lenny Hayes going to lead the next midfield into the Finals?

That should be the Job of a player in his prime..... Not well past 30

Yes i know that BM. Its the way you finished it. Thats not you now is it. Could you be anymore condescending?

And i said we have a different idea about mids. You obviously think we have enough where as i think we dont have enough good ones. Lenny hayes has no hope of leading the next midfield into the finals but i dont think a FA next year or Dal, Joey, Fisher, Rooy or Dempster are going to lead us into the finals so should they go also? Unlike some here i think we are 5-7 years away before we make finals again. We havent got close to finishing as low as we will IMO and that make take 2-3 years and then we have to go up again.

And i think the club also think that because they let BJ go without any fight at all.

I will ask you again. Why was it ok to keep Hayes and Milne this year but not next. Surely people could see we werent playing finals this year. And is round 2 to early to call?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again, surely you realise that is a tongue in cheek dig... In a see how it feels way, if that wasn't clear, my mistake.

Can't throw the baby out with the bath water....

All of those player are only 29-32 and in there roles or lesser roles they can play they have plenty of good football to offer.... Dal and Joey have perhaps 4 years of good footy left... They are by no means finished. Fisher has played a lot of his career as a free wheeling defender (ala Fletcher, which is the easiest job in footy) with no big injuries, I would suggest 2/3 years left which would take him to 34/5 Roo has 2 years left in his body max, and that will be at reduced capacity... Lucky for him that will get him a game again he will be cooked at Lenny's age. Dempster is only 29 and has 3/4 years. Schnieder has 1/2 years at 29yo IMO

And I will answer your q
Firstly they justified their contract extension (which is the answer you wanted to a loaded question) but not the full answer...the team was predicted by most as to finishing a competitive 8-13 this year... With that sort of team, you want wins above anything, you want to have the best possible team... They are in it easily..
However
After the pre-season
2/3 against rubbish and 0/2 against a team we were supposed to be fighting against and a loss to rubbish many would have done a re-assessment on where stk are at, including SW. He's even started asking for excuses about performance.

The landscape has changed IMO we are fully aware now, this is a competitive rebuild ATM and soon to be a fully blown rebuild

This requires a different selection policy, which SW has already indicated is happening. We are getting games and game time into young guys....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Maybe if Lenny continues to hold his spot, if we compare him to a kid (he will) he can hold them out for three years.... Not sure how the team is going to benefit...
How did Richmond benefit from having Cousins? Didn't you tell us in another thread that he set an example for Cotchin and Deledio? Doesn't Lenny do the same?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

they didn't need 4 years with cousins to get benefit... And they had no ther senior leaders in the midfield group. If we didn't have 2 other leaders in there, I'd be keeping him too...

Steven, Armo, Newnes, Ross, Ledger, Curran, Wright, Saunders all have had influence from Lenny... Which they'll carry and hopefully pass on.

It's time Joey and Dal stepped up an became responsible for others.......

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Watts dropped this week. Could be a good time to throw out some bait and see if he's keen.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Jack Watts dropped this week. Could be a good time to throw out some bait and see if he's keen.
Yep. He could get a clearance from Casey to Sandy...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jamie Cripps wasn't AFL standard because he was soft but Jack Watts is the good kind of soft? i don't get it.

noob
Club Player

Who is the better Watts. Fergus or Jack?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Jack Watts looks like the Bondi Vet, looks like Jane, plays like Jane.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is two kinds of soft...

One is instinctive and involves courage....

The other is trained and involves effort....

Watts suffers from type 2 softness.... Just needs a new arse ripped open

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There is two kinds of soft...

One is instinctive and involves courage....

The other is trained and involves effort....

Watts suffers from type 2 softness.... Just needs a new arse ripped open

There are 3 kinds from what I hear.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You'd have to hear about it....

Ever had to back into a pack..... And I'm not talking after you do a ball up???

People either do it or they don't..... Hunt, didn't....

Thing about a footy field, there's nowhere to hide, and it can be a great character indicator... That's why I love playing, every week is a test....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You'd have to hear about it....

Ever had to back into a pack..... And I'm not talking after you do a ball up???

People either do it or they don't..... Hunt, didn't....

Thing about a footy field, there's nowhere to hide, and it can be a great character indicator... That's why I love playing, every week is a test....

My god you are my hero. Now it is Plugger, Norman and BM. And you just dont get jokes either. It not only planes that go over your head.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not your jokes...

I told you, I find them awkward and uneasy, as I said before

Like a sleazy old dude, complimenting a young lady for their own enjoyment.... Yuk

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I opened this thread because I thought it was about Jack Watts....

Instead, it's another pissing contest between.....him and him.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I opened this thread because I thought it was about Jack Watts....

Instead, it's another pissing contest between.....him and him.....
This, and I have a feeling we speak for the masses...so many are just over the absolute rubbish. I know many of my mates just don't bother anymore, too much crap to sift through.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It was about Jack Watts...