How far off resurge are we ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Re: How far off resurge are we ?

Sadly we are a bit further away than we would all like.
The sad reality of it all is that all the existing finals aspirants will probaby
have to make way for Gold Coast in about 3 years and probably GWS the two years after .
It's the way the AFL want it both sides have kids that can't get a game yet, that we ( and all other sides) would die for in the upcoming drafts.
Sadly all the existing teams had better get ready to move a couple of places down the ladder.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: Im happy to get Brown for nothing but I wouldnt even trade a pick for him.
Haven't we all heard in that past that there is no such thing as getting a player for 'nothing', as they take up a spot on the list, and in Brown's case will more than likely be getting payed overs, so he'd be taking up salary cap space too...

Not sure which poster it is that explains it this way??...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: All very true, but remember nobody wanted Roberton, or for that matter Fisher when he was picked up as a 23 y.o. from the SANFL.

Gwilt was perservered with and we are now reaping the benefits.

We dont have a stopper. Everyone bagged Zac, but without him our backline gets monstered by the likes of WCE and Essendon. With a true stopper the backline as a whole would be stronger. I reckon a Brown may well bring more to the backline than just his position, a lot like Zac did (and does for Freo).

You may well be proven right and he is a complete spud. Many thought the same of Roberton, but as you said Brown would have cost Wright and Wight. Roberton cost nothing in trade terms.

good call- I think we probably see him a bit like his brother. A big body that will just make life tough for the lump FFs -out muscle and occasionally out mark and he's done enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Im happy to get Brown for nothing but I wouldnt even trade a pick for him.
Haven't we all heard in that past that there is no such thing as getting a player for 'nothing', as they take up a spot on the list, and in Brown's case will more than likely be getting payed overs, so he'd be taking up salary cap space too...

I reckon you would know it was me but im prepared to make an exception for a FB. I wasnt and said so for TDL. What a waste. makes the Gamble pick seem ok.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

I reckon you would know it was me but im prepared to make an exception for a FB. I wasnt and said so for TDL. What a waste. makes the Gamble pick seem ok.
Agreed re TDL.

Completely stuffed me.

“Yeah….nah””
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote:2015 team could look like this

B Gwilt ?????? Roberton
HB Geary ????? Gilbert
C Newnes Steven Saunders
HF Markworth Stanley Murdoch
F Minchington White Lee/Riewoldt

R McEvoy Wright Ross

I/C Siposs Hickey Webster Armitage

Still in the mix or still around: Dal Santo Saad Milera Montagna Maister

Need to fill the two key back posts asap. if we do that with competent players who can give us at least 100 games, then we'll be a competitive team throughout 2015 to 2018.

B Gwilt Brown / Frawley Roberton
HB Geary Simpkin Webster
C Newnes Steven Saunders
HF Siposs Stanley Murdoch
F Pick 6 White Lee/Riewoldt

R McEvoy Wright Ross

I/C Markworth Hickey Armitage pick 30odd

We also obviously need another A grade midfielder...

On potential this is how i see it

A GRADE
White, Wright, Sipposs, Newnes

B GRADE
Saunders, Ross, Hickey

southernsaint
Club Player

I dont understand why people are so negative this is our bottom out year. Im positive the club will pick up a key backman at the end of the year. stanley will play up forward next year having learned heaps from playing a year down back. We have lee and white to develope as forwards. We will just need some more quality mids that we can draft at the end of the season. We wont play finals next year but we should finish higher on the ladder next year than we will this year.