Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley

Id take a pick in the 20s for him quick smart.
If we got 3 picks in the top 30 Id be pumped.
I trust Elshaugh to get them all right.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Trade bait

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Let someone else believe in the 'potential'

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Id take a pick in the 20s for him quick smart.
If we got 3 picks in the top 30 Id be pumped.
I trust Elshaugh to get them all right.
3 picks under 30 and we are back on

#1 Ryder fan
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Needs to keep playing every week. Then he needs to get a full preseason under his belt. We will know more after 50 games IMO. One thing is obvious though, he is not a natural defender.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St Igmata
Club Player

yallingup saints wrote:I hear he can bench more than anyone else problem is he has no strength in his pins.
mental softness for the contest is a habit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He is to slow to play back as shown last night by being at least a couple of metres behing at every contest. he is an athlete playing AFL footy and to me that is all he will be. Hopefully wrong because big men can takes years to develop.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:I don't think he is going to make it...
I don't think he thinks he is going to make it...
Do YOU think he is going to make it - nudge nudge :wink: :wink: !!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Was a big liability down back, could say he cost us the game, however, looked much more comfortable and contributed when moved forward.
Still wasn't great, but showed something when the pressure of being a key defender was taken away from him.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
busso mick
Club Player

Richter wrote:Trade bait... if we're lucky. Got lots of athletic attributes... but just no understanding of how to use them in a game of football. If anything he appears to have gone backwards since last year.
Up till this year it has been physical problems that have stalled his career, now that he has had continuity his mental problems are the real issue. He only agreed to a new 3 year contract a few months back, since then it has all turned to custard.

happy feet
Club Player

You mob are a bloody disgrace. Give the kid a go, he is playing in defence as we have no one else. He is a running attacking footballer, and he will learn from his experience. Remember Barry Hall at full back, he was bloody hopeless but in the forward line a very good footballer, just find a Swans fan and ask them how many games he won for them off the boot. If we trade this bloke it is going to haunt us for a long time. I suggest those who a making negative comments about this kid as a footballer go soak their heads in a bucket of cows poo as then end result will only be an improvement.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well put happy feet. I think Stanley has great potential but as a forward/back-up ruckman rather than in defence as we saw last evening. The analogy about Barry Hall is reasonable too, Blight played him at full back against the doggies as I recall and it was not pretty! I go along with the view that he will learn a lot (if he has the desire to) from being played in a position that is (on the surface) totally unsuited to his style of play. I guess I'm hardly as qualified to talk on this as most of you folks, having missed the first 11 rounds this season, but I'm confident that our coaching panel and the players will get a lot better as the journey unfolds.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

regardless of position Stanley should be showing more football ability by now.
if Stanley had only mediocre pace, I wonder if people would rate/view him the same way.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If McEvoy was being played as a key defender this thread would be baying for him to be traded as well.

If you look at what Stanley is good at, there is little to suggest that he is a key defender.

Just as Gwilt cannot play as a key defender, neither is Stanley suited to the role.
Just because his build is similar to Fletcher some mistakenly believe that he can be Fletcher.

Two weeks ago some wanted Lee gone. What do they think now?

Play him 6 weeks in a role that he is suited for, and ten lets see where he is at.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:If McEvoy was being played as a key defender this thread would be baying for him to be traded as well.

If you look at what Stanley is good at, there is little to suggest that he is a key defender.

Just as Gwilt cannot play as a key defender, neither is Stanley suited to the role.
Just because his build is similar to Fletcher some mistakenly believe that he can be Fletcher.

Play him 6 weeks in a role that he is suited for, and ten lets see where he is at.

The problem with that is we havent got tall in the backline but even forgetting that how would he fit into the forward line at the moment. Either Lee, Hickey or Ben would have to be dropped and all are ahead of Stanley on form at the moment.

kimberly saint
Club Player

Watters has stated he see's him as a forward , and he's filling a hole atm. Who else we going to play down there atm , blokes on bit of hidding to nothing plugging the gap with no experience at it.
Sum supporters need to think before they open there big holes. Maybe with a key back next year and stanly playing forward/ruck he could be a very very valuable asset . Blokes who can be of value at doing both are pretty handy with the way the game has gone or going .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:regardless of position Stanley should be showing more football ability by now.
if Stanley had only mediocre pace, I wonder if people would rate/view him the same way.

Funny how everyone thinks that Mc evoy is meant to get all this extra time- he has played heaps more than Rhys and been in the system for an extra year.

Jack Watts came in the same year and played more games but is still seen as having all this untapped potential. Rhys has only played a handful of games so far and shows enough to suggest he has a big future. Playing him back does nothing for his confidence IMO and is only there because we have zero other options.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:Watters has stated he see's him as a forward , and he's filling a hole atm
People seems to forget we have Gilbert and Fisher out of the backline, ansd we dont have a decent stopper.

Stanley is not a defender, the same way Maister is not a defender.

Stanley just cant go back, but we the injuries we have we have littel option.
kimberly saint wrote: Who else we going to play down there atm , blokes on bit of hidding to nothing plugging the gap with no experience at it.
yes well i hope the club is supporting the young man more than some so called supporters.
kimberly saint wrote:Sum supporters need to think before they open there big holes. Maybe with a key back next year and stanly playing forward/ruck he could be a very very valuable asset . Blokes who can be of value at doing both are pretty handy with the way the game has gone or going .
Some people want to allocate blame and Stanley is an easy target because he is being played out of position. Looked so much better up forward.

Apparently injuries to key backman dont matter.Some are just blind and can only critisise.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:If McEvoy was being played as a key defender this thread would be baying for him to be traded as well.

Gwilt played as a key back for most of the Lyon era? The difference was we had a team and a gameplan whereby he was getting good support and the team was able to limit the supply.

I think the only role left for Rhys, which could suit him, is high half-forward flanker.

At either end of the ground as a KPP he looks lost. Mainly because he doesn't know how to use his body, and has no physical presence.

The thing is, I see Spencer White being that high half-forward flanker type in the next year or two. I don't know if you could have both him and Rhys playing the same role.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

some people have nfi

not a key back
never played key back
blokes are bigger than him

we are missing defenders and the ones we have two are out thru injury
any one with half a footy brain and a clue can see this
anyone thats heard sw speak of stanley knows where he is earmarked for, what positions.
the kid is signed long term for us, gee i wonder why???

trade bait..lol.....laughable
he will not be traded

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The only issue we have with Stanley is getting him to be able to play to his full potential.

And as he is still young, and as we are not challenging and are unlikely to be challenging in the near future, that is only a frustration rather than a real worry. IMO of course.

Chill out as Kevvy would say 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:some people have nfi

not a key back
never played key back
blokes are bigger than him

we are missing defenders and the ones we have two are out thru injury
any one with half a footy brain and a clue can see this
anyone thats heard sw speak of stanley knows where he is earmarked for, what positions.
the kid is signed long term for us, gee i wonder why???

trade bait..lol.....laughable
he will not be traded
yeah but just 'earmarking' someone to play fwd doesnt make it true.

hes also never played fwd and hes never kicked goals.

i dont know why people think we can flick a switch and make him a fwd. hes played ruck his whole life.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Having said all that I reckon Stanley will end up a better ruckman than Macca - but it seems there is a real resistence to letting Macca go and hes part of the Saints furniture now. So I wont even bother going there.

Stanley looks the most likely to get us a another high pick.

3 picks under under 30 this year and if Elshaugh gets them all right - we are back in business!

Add to that Tommy Lee, Spencer White and Daniel Markworth running around and we might look dangerous in a few years.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully the height problem down back will be sorted come end of season and he can resume his natural position as a tall forward. Otherwise, we may as well put him on the trading block.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see McEvoy get a week off and let Hickey and Stanley rotate through the ruck and forward lines. Tell Rhys he doesn't have an opponent to play on and give him the freedom to fly for marks and run the lines.

He just seems to be completely lacking in confidence, and we shouldn't be letting a bloke with his ability just fade away by playing him on the backline.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"