Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

plugger66 wrote:SW has told everyone that if they want to leave they can. My sources suggest Dal is interested in leaving and is just about gone. The complete rebuild is on now.
I didn't think he would.

Thought he'd just cruise into retirement.

mohannair
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:SW has told everyone that if they want to leave they can. My sources suggest Dal is interested in leaving and is just about gone. The complete rebuild is on now.
This is similar to Ross Lyon telling the group after the 1st Grand Final loss that whosoever wants to leave put their hand up & he will move them on.

Luke Ball put his hand & he moved.

Seeing Luke & Brendon move I would not be surprised if Dal moves on, provided we get a fair compensation.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He sounded pretty certain he was saying when asked by kevin Shehan. Straight out said I'm a Saints man and I'm not going anywhere. Pretty sure it was less than a week old so something must have changed.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Dal will say the same thing that BJ did until the day he is traded.

It all depends on what is thrown up. North only have their 2nd rounder to offer & that won't get it done.

Richmond's midfield imploding yesterday may make things interesting. Cotchin needs help desperately, especially someone that can hit a target instead of just kicking long & hoping. They now have pick 10... which would be overs for Dal BUT with their salary cap issues (especially when they re-sign Martin) will be very tight. I'd offer to cover some of Dal's 2014 salary in return for the higher pick.

You can also add the Gold Coast, Collingwood & the Drug Cheats to the possibles list... The Suns pick 5 might be doable if Dal is packaged with another player & maybe our 2nd pick.

I'd be very surprised & disappointed if we sacrifice Dal for anything less that a top 15 pick. That might be unrealistic but it's a seller's market IMO.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He sounded pretty certain he was saying when asked by kevin Shehan. Straight out said I'm a Saints man and I'm not going anywhere. Pretty sure it was less than a week old so something must have changed.
If he wants to do the right thing by the club then he'll keep saying that till the cows come home. If other clubs think he wants desperately to leave then they've got the advantage. If they think he wants to stay then we should be able to get a better deal.

falka
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:

Makes sense. If he was staying they should have announced something by now.

I'd prefer if he stayed but it's not like he was setting the world on fire. I just hope we get quality for him.
They won't announce anything as they will hope they can get a good pick. If no pick of value is forthcoming, they may in fact hang on to him.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:Dal will say the same thing that BJ did until the day he is traded.

It all depends on what is thrown up. North only have their 2nd rounder to offer & that won't get it done.

Richmond's midfield imploding yesterday may make things interesting. Cotchin needs help desperately, especially someone that can hit a target instead of just kicking long & hoping. They now have pick 10... which would be overs for Dal BUT with their salary cap issues (especially when they re-sign Martin) will be very tight. I'd offer to cover some of Dal's 2014 salary in return for the higher pick.

You can also add the Gold Coast, Collingwood & the Drug Cheats to the possibles list... The Suns pick 5 might be doable if Dal is packaged with another player & maybe our 2nd pick.

I'd be very surprised & disappointed if we sacrifice Dal for anything less that a top 15 pick. That might be unrealistic but it's a seller's market IMO.
Agree with everything you've said and especially the last sentence. This is our year to cash in and get a deal weighted to our advantage. Almost every club bar the Saints and the Giants will think they are a genuine finals chance. Even the Dees may fancy themselves now with Roos at the helm and Port Power showing them its possible for a quick turnaround.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

if he wants to go and goes ill hold him in the same regard i hold bj

theres bugger all loyalty anymore
and its a shame
its all about money money

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:if he wants to go and goes ill hold him in the same regard i hold bj

and its a shame

Do more stars really leave now than previously? I dont think there would be much difference. I still most players are very loyal to there clubs.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

their there they're

seriously plugger this is grade 6 stuff :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:their there they're

seriously plugger this is grade 6 stuff :twisted:

Wow.

Richter
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:Dal will say the same thing that BJ did until the day he is traded.

AE I really don't think that Dal is worth a top 15 pick. Most clubs are extremely reluctant to part with a 1st rounder for anything... not to mention a 30yo... My guess is around #20-25.

Hence...

- North - #27 and a player/swap of later picks
- Tigers - #30 and a player/swap of later picks
- Collingwood - if they lose Dale Thomas, then they'd get an extra 1st rounder - hence #10, #28 <-----> Dal, #21, #39
- Essendon - can't see what they could give us as no dps and don't want any possibly banned players anyway

I don't see Gold Coast chasing him as they have plenty of mid guns already, with Jack Martin to come online this year.

Carlton are the only other possibility, though I imagine they'll aim at Dale Thomas as a FA and also be looking for a young key forward as priorities.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
I didn't think he would.

Thought he'd just cruise into retirement.
I believe you p66.
Body language tells me NDS is just cruising and going through the motions. I reckon hes gone.
I think the coach needs to make a stand - we arent a retirement village for the class of 09.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:He sounded pretty certain he was saying when asked by kevin Shehan. Straight out said I'm a Saints man and I'm not going anywhere. Pretty sure it was less than a week old so something must have changed.
If he wants to do the right thing by the club then he'll keep saying that till the cows come home. If other clubs think he wants desperately to leave then they've got the advantage. If they think he wants to stay then we should be able to get a better deal.
Agree with that - he will say he wants to stay right up until the last minute - because it wouldnt be good for him with the fans if he said he wanted to go and then ends up staying because a deal cant be made. Dont be naive people. He will say publicly he wants to stay - but if an adequate deal can be made that our club is happy with hes gone. The good news this time around is he IS contracted so we have the upper hand for once.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

if true then that is good coaching / list management. "Hey guys none of you are required so if you want to leave go ahead"

Surely you jest

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
if true then that is good coaching / list management. "Hey guys none of you are required so if you want to leave go ahead"

Surely you jest
pluggs do you mean 'everyone' or 'everyone over 28'?

But as I said I dont want to be a retirement village for the class of 09 so players can cruise around and go through the motions getting some superannuation and the fans can get a thrill one day a year with 'send off games' and 'tributes'. Screw that. Lets start building for our next flag. The past is gone. I dont get any comfort from the fact we were good 4 years ago. No comfort at all.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

It was live yesterday as thet mentioned the week in passing and the results over the weekend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:

Surely you jest

Who said he would say hey guys none of you are required? I certainly never said that and Ive never heard that. Its basically your with us or your out.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Step up, or step out!

Megamaguire
Club Player

spot on wrote:I would love to see dal get to 300 hundred games at the club. He has been model player for us and has been promoting the club a lot with him media work. Still think he has at least 3 years left. If he was to leave for anything less then say a pick 15 I was be very disappointed
I like Dal as a team player up to a point but cant help thinking Lyon got more out of him than he is presenting at this late stage of his career. Dal is just a nice guy and still shows the odd flash of brillience and probably does a lot more than i actually notice....but,
he hasn't looked able or focused enough to make the captain-like injections of class into recent games when St.Kilda really needed him to do so.

Overall i just don't think he is getting the best out of himself as a very talented senior player in the twilight of his career. Perhaps the whole focus on a club rebuild is a bit deflating and the inspiration to lead is not as keen as it could be... perhaps he's carrying injuries and i've just embarresed myself.

I'd just like to see him take games by the throat and kick more goals as well. This last criticism odf a player i still respect has been a hobby-horse issue for me over the many years he has played @ St. Kilda. I think hDal has enough technical ability to impact games more but maybe Watterman is simply more focused on the future and doesn't challenge Dal to do so.

Wish i knew the inside story.

GO DAL!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He cops heavier tags than any other player... Look what Crowley did to SJ on Saturday? Its one thing to free wheel in the midfield and pick up kicks whilst opponents rush to zone back, then press up..... its another to have a direct opponent who's only goal is to keep you from the ball......Not easy getting a kick on the leagues best taggers....

saintly
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:if he wants to go and goes ill hold him in the same regard i hold bj

and its a shame

It does go both ways. what loyalty has collingwood given didak, jolly etc, none.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

My sauces tell me i'll know what Dal is doing in 2014 when the trade, free agency and draft period is done and the 2014 player lists are final.

As much as I like the speculation I prefer to deal in fact and by the time the final lists are settled, his status will be a known fact.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:My sauces tell me i'll know what Dal is doing in 2014 when the trade, free agency and draft period is done and the 2014 player lists are final.

As much as I like the speculation I prefer to deal in fact and by the time the final lists are settled, his status will be a known fact.
Thanks for that, another gripping contribution.

Why do you bother reading let alone writing in threads about rumours? I don't understand.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:My sauces tell me i'll know what Dal is doing in 2014 when the trade, free agency and draft period is done and the 2014 player lists are final.

Thanks for that, another gripping contribution.

Why do you bother reading let alone writing in threads about rumours? I don't understand.
:lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?