I love Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: I love Ross Lyon - too

Nick Reiwoldt loves Ross Lyon!!!

I was at a breakfast this morning with a couple of hundred others where Richo, Billy Bronwless & Rooey were in a panel answering questions from dikwad Andrew Startin.

When asked who would win the flag Rooey said "Freo to beat Sydney and Hawthorn to beat Geelong then Freo to strangle Hawthorn in the GF in a similar fashion to Sydney beating them last year".
He went on to say that "Freo would win as they have Ross Lyon who is easily the best coach in the AFL".

I wonder what Scott 'oompa loompa' Watters would think of that comment?

In regard to FW Malthouse supposedly not rating Ross Lyon, he didn't mind recruiting Maxy H & Luke Ball and implementing the Ross Lyon forward press in 2010!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: I love Ross Lyon - too

Joffa Burns wrote:Nick Reiwoldt loves Ross Lyon!!!

I was at a breakfast this morning with a couple of hundred others where Richo, Billy Bronwless & Rooey were in a panel answering questions from dikwad Andrew Startin.

When asked who would win the flag Rooey said "Freo to beat Sydney and Hawthorn to beat Geelong then Freo to strangle Hawthorn in the GF in a similar fashion to Sydney beating them last year".
He went on to say that "Freo would win as they have Ross Lyon who is easily the best coach in the AFL".

I wonder what Scott 'oompa loompa' Watters would think of that comment?
Ross is in his 7th year as a senior coach and is likely to be preparing for another Grand Final next week after 2009 & 2010 with the Saints.

Scott has just completed his 2nd year as a senior coach.

I doubt Scott believes that he is currently the best coach in the AFL.

And quite frankly, I think Scott would refer Nick to a Mental Institution if Nick had said Watters was the best coach in the AFL.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: I love Ross Lyon

Is that multi premiership coach MM you are referring to?
premiership player Luke Ball who master coach wanted to play in Magoos.
One day Lyon may be able to be called a great coach, but premature until he wins a flag!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Take heart I say whiskers. We'll be rammig it home, telling the diehard messiah followers that we told you so, bellowing it out in every OP and adding a LOUD VOICE to this RL lovefest so that they may understand that Rossco is a mere mortal with many failings

AND.....I will be spamming every thread on this joint if the shockers lose tomorrow

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Would rather he gets done next week than this.
better still by a point after the siren(free kick against Dawson)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No fricken way whiskers...that'll give the nuffnuffs ammunition and the Rooy and others under the spell of the snake oil salesman will still be saying he's the best coach...he's just unlucky!!! I'd rather Swannies pump the dockers to remove all doubt!!!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What about him taking Bobby Rose's record of most GF's without a win?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:In China he is known as Ross Ryan.

And his name means horse :wink:
I am Hirdy...

I am Demetriou and Dank...

And I won't let you leave me...Whately is a wank

I am flying on ice like Dusty
I don't need a plane to go way up high...do you know where i am?

I am Longmire. My name means horse...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

by whiskers3614 » 20 Sep 2013, 17:08

What about him taking Bobby Rose's record of most GF's without a win?

yeah ok that's one for the bruce mccavaneys of the world...and mate - I don't remember that Bobby bloke playing or coaching - he's before my time ;)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately I think Ross has his best chance this year. He learnt heaps from his misses with us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why the hell would any Saints supporter love RL? Nearly as confusing as people hating him.
Might be quicker to tell us when you're not confused...

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Is that multi premiership coach MM you are referring to?
premiership player Luke Ball who master coach wanted to play in Magoos.
One day Lyon may be able to be called a great coach, but premature until he wins a flag!
You know what Whiskers, I think Rooey probably has you, me and most on this forum covered for footy knowledge.
If he says Ross Lyon is clearly the best coach in the AFL I am going to go to pay his opinion some credence.

MM the messiah???
He had the Dogs competitive but would never have won them a premiership or got them to a GF.
Went to WC which was effectively a state representative team and underperformed winning 2 flags while he allowed a drug culture to fester and basically bullied any journalist in the state of WA not to report what was actually going on in the club. Go against MM and get locked out of the biggest footy journo gig in town. Maybe it was a bit hard for MM to take a hard line approach to recreational drugs when you have overseen a club where skinny recruits were transformed into muscle bound beasts over 1 or 2 pre seasons.

Dump WC on the decline when things were going pear shaped and go to Collingwood. Two GF's with a list not as good as the Lions was a great effort.
Copy Lyon's game plan (recruit Ball and Max) and have the advantage of greater leg speed and a far superior list and win it in 2010, well done.
Lose it in 2011 when they were easily the best team of the season as MM was moaning and b!tching like a 12 year old girl who had been bitten by a spider.

How many games has he coached? 5 million, I'm not saying he's a dud but judge RL after he has been in the game as long as your messiah and compare the records then.
In fact do it in 10 days when RL is also a premiership coach.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The umps are trying to make it a Geelong Freo GF.

St Lenny
Club Player

I hate Ro$$ Lyin. He is a good Coach and he is certainly in there with a big chance. However, he can't recruit, he can't build a team. He is one dimensional. Also he is a lier. Hope he gets smashed.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I hate Ro$$ Lyin. He is a good Coach and he is certainly in there with a big chance. However, he can't recruit, he can't build a team. He is one dimensional. Also he is a lier. Hope he gets smashed.

Franklin has done a shoulder the stars are aligning for him.

spert
Saintsational Legend

How many premierships has Lyon won as coach? He has no "x-factor " as coach and will always be runner-up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:How many premierships has Lyon won as coach? He has no "x-factor " as coach and will always be runner-up.

Agreed. He lost us both our GF's. What confuses me is people say Mini and the likes of Eddy shouldnt have played and at the top end both sides we played had more AA that year. Its obvious every side he coaches is clearly the best. Just match up the Hawks and Freo or Sydney and freo. matter of fact he failed last year by not winning the GF. I have no idea why people without bias rate him so highly or why Freo chased him so hard. Obviously they dont know what they are doing so they must be out of the finals already.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What confuses me is why would you include blokes TWO years running in the biggest match of the year in 2 of the most IMPORTANT games in our clubs history and then you somehow change your mind on the quality of the player and you de-list them. Isn't that confusing?

What confuses me is that you can dominate your opposition and create meaningless records and win meaningless McLeland trophys and perhaps take your eyes off the ultimate prize. Did he take his eyes off the prize or was he NOT GOOD ENOUGH or not smart enough or UNABLE to INSPIRE a team to greatness or not creative enough or to coach a team to win the ultimate prize?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:What confuses me is why would you include blokes TWO years running in the biggest match of the year in 2 of the most IMPORTANT games in our clubs history and then you somehow change your mind on the quality of the player and you de-list them. Isn't that confusing?

What confuses me is that you can dominate your opposition and create meaningless records and win meaningless McLeland trophys and perhaps take your eyes off the ultimate prize. Did he take his eyes off the prize or was he NOT GOOD ENOUGH or not smart enough or UNABLE to INSPIRE a team to greatness or not creative enough or to coach a team to win the ultimate prize?

But we get told by the likes of you we had the best list even though you then say hacks played and we didnt get the most AA in the years we lost. And didnt we rest players in round 19? Is there a better time to do it? All hindsight from one who lives in hindsight. My guess is when he rested players against the Hawks you were upset because you wanted to go through the season undefeated.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

My guess....no sorry - not a guess- I am 100% certain that you are an idiot

Like I've said before and I'll say it again because I know your memory is failing you recently - Who gives a fuc& about McLelland trophies. My beef in 2009 and some other people who also have an ability to think for themselves was that we could see what was unfolding. We could see that the price to pay for continuing to play 'one week at a time' meant that fuc&wit apprentice senior coach failed to get the chocolotes.

We can debate whether he is good, very good, great or whether he is the best coach in the AFL at the moment and there's no right answer. They're all opinions and they all have equal merit.

You can think what you like - that's oK, but I don't accept that RL is the best coach going around because HE fuc%ed up and St Kilda footy club didn't get any silverware with Tossco in charge for 5 years and he had the audacity to deflect and blame everyone else except himself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:My guess....no sorry - not a guess- I am 100% certain that you are an idiot

Like I've said before and I'll say it again because I know your memory is failing you recently - Who gives a fuc& about McLelland trophies. My beef in 2009 and some other people who also have an ability to think for themselves was that we could see what was unfolding. We could see that the price to pay for continuing to play 'one week at a time' meant that fuc&wit apprentice senior coach failed to get the chocolotes.

We can debate whether he is good, very good, great or whether he is the best coach in the AFL at the moment and there's no right answer. They're all opinions and they all have equal merit.

You can think what you like - that's oK, but I don't accept that RL is the best coach going around because HE fuc%ed up and St Kilda footy club didn't get any silverware with Tossco in charge for 5 years and he had the audacity to deflect and blame everyone else except himself.

Firstly I take you are person who cant handle others disagreeing with you so you resort to calling me an idiot. Thats ok. I have read your posts so you are certainly qualified to make statements like that.

And I can certainly think for myself or it only people who blame RL for losing a GF the people who can think for themselves. I always get a good laugh out of people saying we should have rested players earlier. Its funny because the club have all the fitness data but you seem to know more. Players were rested by the way but more rest would have helped their kicking. Apparently its a well known fact. Well you would think it is. Anyway wasnt the reason we lost because we played dud players or is this another reason. We must have been the greatest side ever to play the game with all these faults yet we could have had the game won at half time if it wasnt for poor kicking which was due to tiredness.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You want a simple answer to why we lost because you are a simple person

I didn't buy the bs from the snake-oil salesmen like you did. GF aren't won at halftime....Did you really just write that?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:You want a simple answer to why we lost because you are a simple person

I didn't buy the bs from the snake-oil salesmen like you did. GF aren't won at halftime....Did you really just write that?

No I didnt but reading and understanding things isnt a strong point for you. And again you have a go at me but again thats ok. You surely are an expert at simple things. Please dont tell me you failed plasticine at school.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

To me Ross Lyon's failing are not match day ones as he's probably as good as any. He fails in development and promotional stuff. He has a better team to work with at Freo because under harvey injury forced him to play nearly every listed player. Because of that they run very deep and are going to be able to cover more injuries than we could. He will have a very good chance at winning with the team he has if they stay fit.

freo recognised his failings and have set contingencies to avoid what we have been left with. We probably needed someone in the Pelchen role 5 years earlier so we managed him badly too but we only found out in hindsight. We will have trained Ross up to be an even better coach through his experience gained too. We can probably blame our core stars who would not compromise wages to bring in some better experienced players like Hawks did with gibson, Hale and Lake too.