Do you think 09/10 should be celebrated?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do you think 09/10 should be celebrated?

SainterK wrote:
BJ left, Gram was sacked, Milne headlines resurfaced, Jack had a DUI, mad Monday was a disaster.
BJ left for money.

Gram was sacked. Surely you don't think the club was responsible for his behaviour?

Milne case resurfaced. How is that the fault of the St Kilda Football Club?

Jack was driving drunk, big deal, check the stats of young men driving under the influence.

Mad Monday was a disaster. Depends who you talk to, maybe it was a success!

The fact is the coach shot himself in the foot and will have a limp for the rest of his life.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Mad Monday was a disaster. Depends who you talk to, maybe it was a success!
:D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BS

We're you always a SW critic?

And
Drunk driving is a bit of a big deal, not really excusable.... And the excuses that others do it, is weak.... Sorry

Milney's case is not the fault of STKFC but like any individual incident.... He plays at STK like Gram did? Like Lovett did? Like Gilbert does? Like Steven does.... They are all representatives of the club

Mad Monday was shameful.... IMO the worst issue, because it was organised by a leader and the whole group were there...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BS

And
Drunk driving is a bit of a big deal, not really excusable.... And the excuses that others do it, is weak.... Sorry

Milney's case is not the fault of STKFC but like any individual incident.... He plays at STK like Gram did? Like Lovett did? Like Gilbert does? Like Steven does.... They are all representatives of the club

Mad Monday was shameful.... IMO the worst issue, because it was organised by a leader and the whole group were there...

Were you alwways a SW fan or did you lie previously. I suppose the story changes depending on who you want to argue with.

Anyway my take initially was that SW should have finished his contract. Since his sacking 95% of the media have basically suggested it was the right move. SW Had problems with basically everyone at the club. Dont blame senior players, blame SW. No one else is responsible for how he acted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What was actually on the posters ?

If the coach was worried about 'asserting his authority' by worrying about posters in change rooms it shows hed lost the plot and was trying the artificial 'tough man' act like Neeld.

Last time i looked a poster never kicked a goal or laid a tackle or hit a target inside 50 or did a spoil or a block.

Stick to the actual things that matter and ull be ok. If you are worrying about posters you have lost the plot.

For Someone like Clarko the tough man act isnt an act so he gets away with it cos he really is a lunatic.

But most aussies see right through a fake. Sounds like Scott and Neelds try hard 'tough man' acts just made them look silly.
Very fast way to lose respect.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

And

I've never been a critic of Scott Watters.

I know drunk driving is a very big deal, but in the context of AFL footballers, they are just young blokes like the rest of kids their age and should be treated the same.

Lovett never played for St Kilda.

Mad Monday was stupid, no doubt about that. The AFL and clubs should take steps to get rid of it, but until they do boys will be boys.

There is no doubt that Scott shot himself in the foot and the club made the right decision.

Are you really a school teacher? "We're you always a SW critic?"

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

It should serve as a reminder of what it takes to get to a GF and get a Premiership opportunity.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Its a pity this thread has generated into "the reasons I think Watters is crap"
as Im pretty sure that is not what the OP intended
The fact is SW got the seniors off-side from day one - when he stated that reputations accounted for little and he would be selecting & playing kids on their merits (to paraphrase) I remember follow up statements from senior players that they were on board with this. :idea:
The kids were happy, and it was reported here as such- but it wasnt long before we started hearing some grumblings from the old guys.
It must have such as shock after living in a bubble for so long, regardless of behaviour if the H/A results kept coming - all was ok (with club & fans alike)
And yep the results kept coming for two years (and certainly not in Lyons last year) but if people were honest they would realise 5 years ago is like a generation in football terms, and generational change is usually hard to cope with for most.
Do i think that a coaches position comes with an automatic inferred level of respect - Yes
Do i think that players as employees have to earn the respect of the coach - Yes
Do I think this happened in this case - NO

Seeya
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Why should we celebrate coming 2nd?

We did not win the thing so why look back fondly?

Yes we played well however that was about it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

respected yes
lessons learnt yes
confidence gained yes
celebrated definitely not

Who celebrates second in any team sport ?
Noone

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:respected yes
lessons learnt yes
confidence gained yes

Noone
This club has a majority of insecure supporters that are almost scared of success, thus multiple 2nd place performances are classified as a win.

Yey, 2nd place.

Failure

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:respected yes
lessons learnt yes
confidence gained yes

Noone
This club has a majority of insecure supporters that are almost scared of success, thus multiple 2nd place performances are classified as a win.

Yey, 2nd place.

Failure

I have no idea who has ever celebrated second spot for our club. Not supporters, players, officials or anyone else i can think of.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

And

Were you alwways a SW fan or did you lie previously. I suppose the story changes depending on who you want to argue with.

Anyway my take initially was that SW should have finished his contract. Since his sacking 95% of the media have basically suggested it was the right move. SW Had problems with basically everyone at the club. Dont blame senior players, blame SW. No one else is responsible for how he acted.
plugger 10/10 for Grammar were = past/previous: we're = we are :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And

plugger 10/10 for Grammar were = past/previous: we're = we are :wink: !!
Good one Eastern, I did point that out in my reply to BM.

evo
Club Player

Interesting post from BrianSpeaking on BigFooty last week allowing that he has a similar agenda to Jaxons

I have been telling you guys what Caro said for over a year, it's old news, time to look forward. In regards to Watters, the last thing I'll say is that he was the worst person you could think of who would tell you he loved you then go to other players and tell them how much of a prick you were. When a coach is bagging players to other players it's game over, let alone bagging marketing, physic's, assistant coaches, volunteers, ball boys, admin and partners of footballers and vice versa.
The guy is a total knob and should never be allowed into a footy club ever again. These are facts, just ask Nick Dal Santo who he didn't speak to one on one for 11 months. It has nothing to do with senior players running the show, the whole club hated him.
Not too mention an infamous meeting he has with our co major sponsor and bagged members of our admin to them…guess what, they got on the phone and rang admin to tell them, surprise surprise.

This re Revlon says it all: It comes as St Kilda continues its search for a senior coach - with interviews already underway - and another major sponsor International cosmetics giant Revlon is in serious discussions with the Saints about being a co-major sponsor.
It is understood its local representatives are far more comfortable with the current situation than the turbulent last few weeks under Watters.

Big breath…..now let's move on and buy memberships or we are in more s*** than a Werribee duck because Etihad stitched us up with the stadium deal and the AFL won't do anything to
help us out.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

spert wrote:I feel Watters probably told a few bigger name players that they were overrated, and wouldn't be part if his plans. No doubt in my mind that just like the Saints of old, too many at the club didn't want to hear the truth and of course the tail wags the dog at St K, so Watters got the flick. No doubt the club will want a coach who tells them what they want to hear. Watters was a respected coach and mentor of players in WA, highly regarded at the filth, yet comes to Seafod and is seen as a lunatic... Go figure
Neeld was also highly regarded at the Filth.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Where was the celebration? I must have missed it. I know of zero Saints supporters who celebrate the era. Respect the effort of the club through that time, yes.

Celebrating it would be like partying with your ex, and her new fella, a week after she dumped you. Nothing good could come from it, and it would probably only end in tears.

8856brother wrote:Where was the celebration? I must have missed it. I know of zero Saints supporters who celebrate the era. Respect the effort of the club through that time, yes.

Celebrating it would be like partying with your ex, and her new fella, a week after she dumped you. Nothing good could come from it, and it would probably only end in tears.
[

Well, I celebrated it big time. Of course I'm in the West so the only time we get any media over here is when there is a scandal...far too many of those...or when we have sustained periods of success. Now obviously we didn't quite reach the ultimate prize...but it was one hell of a journey and I will always hold the playing list and coaches in the highest of regards for what they achieved. Am I disappointed we didn't win the ultimate prize...hell yes...do I feel any less of he players and coaches...hell no.

This has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity...there is nothing mediocre about what the boys achieved in 2009 & 2010. I don't come across the players all that often due to he tyranny of distance...but if I met any of those guys I would shake their hand and say 'bloody well done fella's...enjoyed every minute.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BS

Are we really talking grammar again? Is that the best we can do when having a personal dig?!

Why not stick to the footy?

This is not a literature forum.