CEO update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Re: CEO update

What's Ben Buckley up to these days?

Another bloke that could be a smokey.....Peter Bell.

And picking blokes with an AFL background and from left field, what about Justin Madden? About to retire from politics.

Just musing though. I am sure there are many other candidates that I have no idea about.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Legendary
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Out of interest - what was Nettlefold doing before he got the Saints job?

He never struck me as being that bright. Just seems like he got by on his looks, nice suits and being in the mates/boys/ex players club.
He founded what became the Australia arm of EyeCorp (second largest outdoor advertising business in Australia) which was majority acquired by Channel Ten in 2000 for about $160m.

His family has had a succession of outdoor advertising businesses since the 70's and his father was very successful, particularly with Nettlefold Advertising.

He was definitely good at the corporate sales game and he was blessed with connections because of his father, but he also built up a viable business in his own right. A bit of luck involved (as always).

His time at St Kilda demonstrates that success in a particular industry and sales ability are not necessarily transferable skills into running a football club - in my opinion he didn't have the required experience in leadership and organisational management that the role requires (refer Brian Cook as the example of this). Unfortunately for MN, despite the fact that he did work his butt off in several areas, he won't be judged as kindly as he may have hoped considering both the Lyon and Watters situation and the club's finances.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

any Female CEO's out there?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Adrian Anderson?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Adrian Anderson?

Is that in answer to saintbrats question?

onlooker2
Club Player

I think some of the criticism being directed at MN is unfair. NO CEO of any orgainisation of size is an expert or the champion in all areas of the organisation's work. It is impossible. What good CEO's rely on is high class support staff who are able to advise, in some instances direct and provide intelligence about what is going on at particular points in time. To suggest that MN had this level of support at StK FC is just plain bullsh't. He had a few good people who he could rely on but nothing like the support that exists at some of the clubs to which we now look up to..
These comments about MN on what he did or didn't do is all about one thing in the end - dollars. I have no doubt he worked his arse off.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If, as stated in other posts Nettlefold is the main reason Lyon pissed off I would like to nominate him for a knighthood!

defacto
Club Player

onlooker2 wrote:I think some of the criticism being directed at MN is unfair. NO CEO of any orgainisation of size is an expert or the champion in all areas of the organisation's work. It is impossible. What good CEO's rely on is high class support staff who are able to advise, in some instances direct and provide intelligence about what is going on at particular points in time. To suggest that MN had this level of support at StK FC is just plain bullsh't. He had a few good people who he could rely on but nothing like the support that exists at some of the clubs to which we now look up to..
These comments about MN on what he did or didn't do is all about one thing in the end - dollars. I have no doubt he worked his arse off.
st kilda is hardly an organisation of size. it would have less than 100 employees, outside of the playing group. in reality you could have a 1 on 1 with each one of them every 1/4, maybe every 2 months

thats more like a general manager or sub division head. if you dont know what each of those 100 employees are doing youre in a bit of strife

fingers
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
onlooker2 wrote:I think some of the criticism being directed at MN is unfair. NO CEO of any orgainisation of size is an expert or the champion in all areas of the organisation's work. It is impossible. What good CEO's rely on is high class support staff who are able to advise, in some instances direct and provide intelligence about what is going on at particular points in time. To suggest that MN had this level of support at StK FC is just plain bullsh't. He had a few good people who he could rely on but nothing like the support that exists at some of the clubs to which we now look up to..
st kilda is hardly an organisation of size. it would have less than 100 employees, outside of the playing group. in reality you could have a 1 on 1 with each one of them every 1/4, maybe every 2 months

thats more like a general manager or sub division head. if you dont know what each of those 100 employees are doing youre in a bit of strife

My guess is it's less about the size and more about the breadth of issues to deal with.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:If, as stated in other posts Nettlefold is the main reason Lyon pissed off I would like to nominate him for a knighthood!

Yes the replacement worked out just fine. Some will never admit wrong.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Could we / should we go after Ray Gunston, now his interim job and the Injectors is done and dusted??

Is he an AFL man who they put in that role (like Jackson at the Dees)??

Just thought I'd chuck the name out there, not sure of his background TBH....

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:Could we / should we go after Ray Gunston, now his interim job and the Injectors is done and dusted??

"He is a former Essendon Board member, former Director of AFL Victoria and Director of Sigma Pharmaceuticals."
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013- ... nterim-ceo

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Essendon not putting in a CEO
Making do with COO
And Corcoran resigned

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
St Chris wrote:Could we / should we go after Ray Gunston, now his interim job and the Injectors is done and dusted??

"He is a former Essendon Board member, former Director of AFL Victoria and Director of Sigma Pharmaceuticals."

Id rather have his kid...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote: "He is a former Essendon Board member, former Director of AFL Victoria and Director of Sigma Pharmaceuticals."

Id rather have his kid...
Do you have a womb?