Intraclub

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intraclub

Yes Murdoch?

He was the only Saint I did not see? On the ground or watching?!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I was standing beside him... so he was there..

in Game?
would need to check video or photos to check

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reports everyone!

What about Lewis pierce?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Did not play!

PADDLEPOP1000
fingers
Saintsational Legend

ANyone see Milera?

THanks for the reports. Much appreciated.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:ANyone see Milera?

THanks for the reports. Much appreciated.
did not play but seen in photos and on ground

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with most that was said, our field kicking was generally speaking woeful, with the exception of a few who were absolutely elite. Good to see Newnes, Billings and Ross among those I'd consider elite - Newnes playing a kick behind the play for a while in that role which we though Siposs would take last year.

Everyone showed glimpses, Blake and Markworth did some really nice things and will both definitely play at some stage this year, I was pleasantly surprised to see Acres not look so tiny as I was expecting to see a 190cm kid who needed time to grow into his body - he isn't Dunstan like, but no twig either.

Billings was everything you'd hope for, shorter than I thought, or at least looked that way, assuming/hoping he keeps his body together, he'll play a fair bit and be managed a lot (like Wingard was in his first season at Port).

Luke is ready for round one, no doubt about it, I didn't really see him get too much of it tbh but its his first hit out and conditions would've gone against him.

Hickey/Longer will be a formidable partnership in years to come, Hickey looking more comfortable up forward than last year, and stronger too. Longer has some serious tap work skills in the middle, it may have been Weller (memory escapes me) but I remember a couple of brilliant taps to the same player that I never saw when Ben was rucking, Longer looked slower after the strapping but early on it was good to watch them both.

Eli, well Eli, what a surprise. He just read the game better than many Saints players around him. Loves a one-two, but he was just so smart with it, its a unique gift he has to be able to run to great spots and release others with his timing by hand. One passage of play saw him somehow dispossess Steven when Jack took him on! Impressive stuff. He was quick and ran out the game well, how did he get to the rookie draft? #43 is definitely our lucky number.

Steven and Joey really stood out, a class above. Armo was good, showing some real leadership too, which is good. I rarely notice Seb, when I did see him he was assured and hit his targets, in the first few minutes he was blowing incredibly hard, I thought to myself, really, already? He did play out the game so probably just had the wind taken or had a sprint when I saw him.

Savage was quiet in the first half, exploded in the second half though. Not afraid to take a player on and exciting to watch.

Was that Piers Flanagan from Gold Coast who kicked a snap from 50 around his body?

Saunders and Mav went well, as did CJ - whose never missed a target.

From yesterday's efforts, I think we will have some nervous moments in defence with our kicking, but it did look stronger than last year with Bruce and Delaney.

As for up forward, TDL did some nice things, Maister did well (but still fumbled half a dozen chest marks), Stanley started well at the other end of the ground but went missing - maybe sore, Sippo missed a sitter and to be honest, I don't know where his head is at, lacking confidence out there. Dunnel/Markworth had stints up forward, both promising.

Not many really stood out though or had blinders which I guess we should expect with the heat - I struggled just standing in it! Good hit out to blow some cobwebs out.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:IMHO

Delaney = answer for gorillas but just serviceable ... looked good in patches

Bruce = a work in progress. Looks to have skills but not the answer on resting rucks! Would love to see his work as a forward.
Thanks for that. At least one of them needs to step up to release the Fishers and Dempsters, etc.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:IMHO

Delaney = answer for gorillas but just serviceable ... looked good in patches

Bruce = a work in progress. Looks to have skills but not the answer on resting rucks! Would love to see his work as a forward.
Thanks for that. At least one of them needs to step up to release the Fishers and Dempsters, etc.
From what I saw, Delaney is a fair way in front of Bruce at this stage !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

busso mick
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Agree with most that was said, our field kicking was generally speaking woeful, with the exception of a few who were absolutely elite. Good to see Newnes, Billings and Ross among those I'd consider elite - Newnes playing a kick behind the play for a while in that role which we though Siposs would take last year.

Everyone showed glimpses, Blake and Markworth did some really nice things and will both definitely play at some stage this year, I was pleasantly surprised to see Acres not look so tiny as I was expecting to see a 190cm kid who needed time to grow into his body - he isn't Dunstan like, but no twig either.

Billings was everything you'd hope for, shorter than I thought, or at least looked that way, assuming/hoping he keeps his body together, he'll play a fair bit and be managed a lot (like Wingard was in his first season at Port).

Luke is ready for round one, no doubt about it, I didn't really see him get too much of it tbh but its his first hit out and conditions would've gone against him.

Hickey/Longer will be a formidable partnership in years to come, Hickey looking more comfortable up forward than last year, and stronger too. Longer has some serious tap work skills in the middle, it may have been Weller (memory escapes me) but I remember a couple of brilliant taps to the same player that I never saw when Ben was rucking, Longer looked slower after the strapping but early on it was good to watch them both.

Eli, well Eli, what a surprise. He just read the game better than many Saints players around him. Loves a one-two, but he was just so smart with it, its a unique gift he has to be able to run to great spots and release others with his timing by hand. One passage of play saw him somehow dispossess Steven when Jack took him on! Impressive stuff. He was quick and ran out the game well, how did he get to the rookie draft? #43 is definitely our lucky number.

Steven and Joey really stood out, a class above. Armo was good, showing some real leadership too, which is good. I rarely notice Seb, when I did see him he was assured and hit his targets, in the first few minutes he was blowing incredibly hard, I thought to myself, really, already? He did play out the game so probably just had the wind taken or had a sprint when I saw him.

Savage was quiet in the first half, exploded in the second half though. Not afraid to take a player on and exciting to watch.

Was that Piers Flanagan from Gold Coast who kicked a snap from 50 around his body?

Saunders and Mav went well, as did CJ - whose never missed a target.

From yesterday's efforts, I think we will have some nervous moments in defence with our kicking, but it did look stronger than last year with Bruce and Delaney.

As for up forward, TDL did some nice things, Maister did well (but still fumbled half a dozen chest marks), Stanley started well at the other end of the ground but went missing - maybe sore, Sippo missed a sitter and to be honest, I don't know where his head is at, lacking confidence out there. Dunnel/Markworth had stints up forward, both promising.

Not many really stood out though or had blinders which I guess we should expect with the heat - I struggled just standing in it! Good hit out to blow some cobwebs out.
Great report St Ick, you write better than most sports journo's. Love the sound of Templeton!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I fly across from Adelaide with my son. I know an intraclub is a bit like dancing with your sister but we love it because we can see the whole squad play all at the same time which we don't normally get the privilege to do. The crowd looked like it was only half of what it was last year IMHO .. I remember the crowd being 2 and 3 deep at the fence last year - certainly wasn't the case this year. Anyway, my general observations are below

* looks to me like our ruckmen will spend time resting forward during games. 1, 28 and 18 all pretty even at the centre ruck contest - even Holmes won a few centre ruck contests although I suspect his aim was just to get his hand on the ball rather than guide it to anyone in particular. Around the ground, 1 & 18 were very low possession winners with #28 being the pick in terms of around the ground general play, #1 being the best in around the ground ruck work - and Holmes clearly still learning.
* Forward line in general looked un-cohesive - but to be fair 12 and 9 were both missing and 37 was the best of the big forwards. 15 is clever and classy and if he can stay fit will slot into Milneys role in the forward line this year. Cant believe how many gettable set shots we missed from straight in front.
*Generally the defence beat the forwards - very team defence oriented. 21 is not going to be a high possession winner - his role clearly to negate the power forwards.
* midfield - slightly improved from last year (but that's not saying a lot) .. still need to find another 3 or so class mids. Latest batch of draftees (15, 36, 40, 43, 44) all showed something in the midfield and 15 and 40 in particular will add some real class when they mature, whilst 36 will add some clearance grunt as he develops.
* most players changed sides , and swapped positions during the game, so it was easy to lose track of players
* good rookie depth this year with the inclusion of 43 & 44
* Overall there are some good signs for the future , but the kids from the last 3 drafts need to keep developing & we need to add another half a dozen really good kids in the next 2 drafts.

And observations by player number.

#1 - when up forward competed well and provided a target, kicked 4 for the day I reckon, but other than that was not dominant
#2 - Hasn't developed. Missed a set shot.
#3 - hard at it and always tried to get involved
#4 - ran hard, got the ball a bit and was hard at the contest
#5 - quiet first half but was very good in Q3 and ok in Q4. Clean kicking skills. Question mark on his consistency of effort perhaps ?
#6 - looks like he has grown. Was around the contest a lot in the first half working on his in and under. Didn't get as much of the ball as he should have - which to me is the only real knock on his game at this point
#8 - played defensive forward - missed his first shot on goal but then kicked a couple of opportunist goals in the 2nd half. A filler.
#10 - didn't get a lot of it - but was generally classy when he did. If he can get his hands on the ball more he will be a good one
#11 - classy & a cut above. Didn't dominate but classic Joey running goal from the boundary in the last quarter got the most audience applause for the day.
#14 - His first half was typical grunt Didn't see a lot of him in the 2nd half
#15 - I remember the first time 1 saw Dal & Joey play at the Moorabbin intraclub and I thought yep - these guys are going to be good. Same. Very smart footballer with real class. Only played first half - kicked an opportunists goal and his field kicking was spot on.
#16 - sent time in the middle and would have probably been in the top 3 on the ground. Ready to step up to more midfield time.
#17 - nothing really stoodout .. but ok
#18 - good leap at centre bounces but would be 3rd in the pecking order imho. Very low possession game
#20 - probably was BOG and most consistent 4 quarter effort.
#21 - I didn't really notice him much. I think he played on Maister in q4 who had been the best of the forwards and managed to shut him down. Looks like an old fashioned stopper.
#22 - gathered a few possessions in the middle of the ground and was ok
#24 - Mr reliable on the last line
#25 - starting to get his run back. Not quite there yet, got caught a couple of times - but showed some glimpses of old.
#26 - probably didn't do as much as I had expected he would - although was serviceable
#27 - showed a bit of run but was beaten in the marking contests consistently in the first half
#28 - his strong voice onfield was really noticeable. Presented well around the ground and acquitted himself well when in the ruck. Didn't see a lot of him 2nd half - perhaps he may have got injured in q3 - Was the pick of the ruckmen
#31 - not bad. Provided a bit of run from the back half - similar to Fisher game style ..looks like the logical successor to Fisher.
#34 - good early but faded
#35 - very good early , providing trademark run, also faded
#36 - built like a tank, took a while to get his hands onto the ball, but spent a lot of time around the contest. Looks like a footballer though and perhaps the logical successor to Lenny
#37 Best of the big forwards in the first half, but probably would have been better if he held his marks
#38 - managed to get his hands a few times forward of centre
#39 - I cant say I saw much of him - but then perhaps I was getting him and #17 mixed up
#40 - Rangy tall half back / mid. Good mark of the ball and nice kick. Reminds me a little of a young Goddard. I think he will be a good one.
#41 - got his hand on the ball but turned it over a bit too easily
#43 - showed some great run and 2nd and 3rd effort, particularly good 1st half. IF he can build on that he will get a crack at promotion.
#44 - looks like a guy who has been in the system a few years and knows how to find the ball. Hard at the contest

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

unfortunately due to many new players I have no idea which number belongs to what player. can you please name the players

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:unfortunately due to many new players I have no idea which number belongs to what player. can you please name the players
Saints.com.au

SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:All of you warriors that attend in the heat, take plenty to drink, non-alcoholic so I can make sense of the match reports you post.
zebraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A point or two that may have got lost with some;

There were 8-10 Sandringham listed players taking part in the intra-club

One of the sides wore Sandringham jumpers (first time that I know of)

Sandringham are playing one of their practice matches at Moorabbin

I believe that it is little things like this that can help strengthen the alignment. I know it looks like there are only two years left of the alignment, but there's no reason why they can't be the BEST two years of any alignment (who knows, we might need each other some time in the future) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great review Zed - appreciate your efforts.

I know its only an intra-club but to me in general we have a good midfield developing but if Bruce and Delaney are not going to be stars (pretty obvious) we still need to hit the draft in the next year or two to get some high end-talent KPPs before we can seriously challenge again.

I expect another bottom 4 finish in 2014.

I expect the coach has been told he isn't expected to make the top 10 until 2016 - as long as we are showing good effort and doing everything right on and off field.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
I expect the coach has been told he isn't expected to make the top 10 until 2016 .........
I'd be telling him; "Make sure Alan that you send a b'day card to the Pelican and the Roo if you want to be around in 2016 to see the fruits of your labour...and keep both on the X-mas card list too" :wink:

On a serious note, thanks to all the reviewers and thanks to posts with links to pics

Johnny Favier
Club Player

saintly wrote:unfortunately due to many new players I have no idea which number belongs to what player. can you please name the players
http://www.saints.com.au/team/players/seniors

Saint 58
Club Player

Great to see a game & also the new boys but damn it was hot.
Paul Roos was in the crowd watching.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to all who did reports, great work. Especially Zed - coming all the way over from SA and doing a comprehensive job!

So as far as I can tell, those who didn't play were:

Hayes
Lee
Riewoldt
Schneider
Gilbert
White
Webster
Murdoch
Milera
Gwilt
Pierce

Presumably a few there were injured and a few got time off for good behaviour (and being over 30). Disappointing to see three key forwards in that list though. Should have been a relatively easy game for the big defenders given that Maister and the rucks were their only opposition.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

apologies for quality- black and red require more care than I took-- but you will get the drift
and obviously not all team 1 played--
some kept the same number- some changed, not all team changed sides. and some swapped then went back.
Zebra's players did not change

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Great review Zed - appreciate your efforts.

I know its only an intra-club but to me in general we have a good midfield developing but if Bruce and Delaney are not going to be stars (pretty obvious) we still need to hit the draft in the next year or two to get some high end-talent KPPs before we can seriously challenge again.

I expect the coach has been told he isn't expected to make the top 10 until 2016 - as long as we are showing good effort and doing everything right on and off field.

I expect we have probably pushed Frawley to hold off contract talks and would be watching Jaksche, Corr or some other expansion KPB as another elite backline reinforcement. Delaney could surprise a few though and I think Bruce will develop into at least a decent player just needs a couple more seasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I expect we have probably pushed Frawley to hold off contract talks and would be watching Jaksche, Corr or some other expansion KPB as another elite backline reinforcement. Delaney could surprise a few though and I think Bruce will develop into at least a decent player just needs a couple more seasons.

I expect we have nothing at all to do with Frawley not signing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

It's becoming your obsession Plugger. He might not but he might. It really riles you doesn't it. I will have to start putting it out there more now.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

It's becoming your obsession Plugger. He might not but he might. It really riles you doesn't it. I will have to start putting it out there more now.

Riles me? You cant be serious. The thing is you will be riled when he either stays at the Dees or goes to a club who has a chance to win the flag. I will then not even slighty care because it was that obvious 3 years ago that it was a rumour based on nothing at all. The obsession is with you. basing things on a rumour posted on here. I might start one saying BJ is coming back. Heaps of foundation in that one.By the smiling as I type this.