Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Rhys Stanley

Richo will be the making of Rhys.

We saw a few snippets of what he can do on Saturday... he also made a few blues & got caught ball watching a few times as well. Richo's mantra of toughness & being highly competitive is the key for Rhys. If he can add those to his game I believe the skill errors will drop away & he'll really impose himself on the game. It's very true that he's not a natural footballer & that's why he just has to develop a frenzied attack on the ball. See ball get ball & bugger whoever is in the way.

One issue that I think is holding him back is Roo. When you have a team mate who is the major focal point & is in such red hot form, it's easy to take a bit of a step back & let him do the work. I don't think it's laziness... it's more of that lack of confidence & not wanting to get in Roo's way (very un Kosi like!).

At least he's being played in his most effective position now & he returns this weekend to the venue where he played one of his best games ever until his hammy went.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Out jumped Natanui which was huge,has a great spring!

PADDLEPOP1000
derby Street
Club Player

Junior wrote:I thought he was poor, no strength in the contest and dropped marks he should have held.
He does not appear to be a natural reader of the play, on a number of occasions he was goal side of his opponent and instead of using his pace he ran towards his opponent.

Stood out as the odd man out with pressuring the Melbourne player, he can't possilbly be unfit and he is quick so therefore it is work ethic.

I have no doubt that if Longer had proven he could play forward that he would not be in the side.

I made the comment to my mates yesterday that someone needs to punch him in the face and get him angry.

Stupid last sentence.

derby Street
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Needs to do more....much more
I suggest quite a few need to do more - even your " teachers pet boy" needs to lift

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:
Junior wrote:I thought he was poor, no strength in the contest and dropped marks he should have held.
He does not appear to be a natural reader of the play, on a number of occasions he was goal side of his opponent and instead of using his pace he ran towards his opponent.

Stood out as the odd man out with pressuring the Melbourne player, he can't possilbly be unfit and he is quick so therefore it is work ethic.

I have no doubt that if Longer had proven he could play forward that he would not be in the side.

I made the comment to my mates yesterday that someone needs to punch him in the face and get him angry.

Stupid last sentence.
Agree.

Anyway, why don't we just give him a bronx cheer everytime he goes near the ball. That'll work wonders :roll:

loris
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Out jumped Natanui which was huge,has a great spring!
Yes he did a number of times in that match at Subi - think it was 2 seasons ago. All came undone- when Natanui, pushed him as Stanley went to run off from him & take a kick - then........ PING........ Stanley had done his hammy ( or is it hammie??) That was the only time Nic Nat had been able to lay a hand on Stanley......pity

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I've seen a different side to Rhys. I've seen some aggression and intensity not usually associated with him. He may not be starring, but I like the direction he is going.
yep...me too mate......the guy is improving the more game he plays...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Con I know you go obout him not being a forward but he is for us. he hasnt rucked as the number ruckman since his first year. he will be delisted if he cant play as a forward because he is behind Hickey and Longer as the number one ruck and thats because he is our forward ruck. he is important to us as that player. The only player is like on that list is Clarke because he plays a similar role. The rest are pure ruckmen.
He wont be delisted - look at Hampson - 32 goals in 65 games - 26yo and got traded for a pick 28!
Now Rhys cant be any worse than Hampson. Quite possibly better and younger. So forget de-listing. Trading is an option. And you cant call Hampson a pure ruckman either (they had Kreuzer all that time remember). So a fairish comparison.

Zac Clarke plays as a 2nd ruck and has 27 goals from 53 games. Now you cant tell me Clarke is a number 1 ruckman either - so I think hes a pretty fair comparison with Rhys (and a similar age).

I think my contention that he is a 2nd ruck and should be compared to 2nd rucks is more sensible than the fantasy he is a key fwd and be compared to key fwds. Apart from being tall, fast, blonde and slightly resembling roo in appearances there is no other reason whatsoever to consider him as a key fwd. Comparing him to Roo or any other key fwd in the comps history is ridiculous.

I dont see why he cant be a 2nd ruck - and Longer hasnt shown he can do enough fwd to be considered a 2nd ruck at this (very early) stage of his career. So for me Rhys has a stable position as a 2nd ruck who can play fwd (Zac Clarke style).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 01 Apr 2014 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
St Ick wrote:I've seen a different side to Rhys. I've seen some aggression and intensity not usually associated with him. He may not be starring, but I like the direction he is going.
yep...me too mate......the guy is improving the more game he plays...
For some reason I agree. It's nothing too tangible but it just feels like he's doing more of the right things week by week. He should have kicked two last week and if he'd done that then everything would be looking great.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's become the easy thing to do to bag Rhys.

However, I'm seeing his development. Slowly, yes, but it's there. He's getting to more "contested" situations. Not always winning the hard ball, not always clunking the big grabs, but he's getting to the right spots.

It reminds me very much of how Gwilt was for several seasons. There seemed no way in hell Gwilt would make it for, say, four seasons. Then in 2010, it all came together. Went from 195 disposals to 510 disposals.

I'm not saying we'll see as radical as an improvement with Stanley, but he's putting together the building blocks of confidence.

Not only that, but we can persist with the "experiment" for at least another two seasons. We're not in finals contention and can afford to take few developmental risks. He's one of them, and should play every week.

Don't underestimate the power of playing week in, week out. Aside from Gwilt, it did wonders for the likes of Jason Blake and Farren Ray, who both were very much fringe players at certain times, but had senior AFL games pumped through their bodies and eventually "got used" to playing at the elite level.

Stanley may never be a star, but once he is completely comfortable in his body and playing at this standard, he'll be extremely serviceable at the very least. 200cm players with huge athletic ability don't grow on trees.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

FQF
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:It's become the easy thing to do to bag Rhys.

However, I'm seeing his development. Slowly, yes, but it's there. He's getting to more "contested" situations. Not always winning the hard ball, not always clunking the big grabs, but he's getting to the right spots.

It reminds me very much of how Gwilt was for several seasons. There seemed no way in hell Gwilt would make it for, say, four seasons. Then in 2010, it all came together. Went from 195 disposals to 510 disposals.

I'm not saying we'll see as radical as an improvement with Stanley, but he's putting together the building blocks of confidence.

Not only that, but we can persist with the "experiment" for at least another two seasons. We're not in finals contention and can afford to take few developmental risks. He's one of them, and should play every week.

Don't underestimate the power of playing week in, week out. Aside from Gwilt, it did wonders for the likes of Jason Blake and Farren Ray, who both were very much fringe players at certain times, but had senior AFL games pumped through their bodies and eventually "got used" to playing at the elite level.

Stanley may never be a star, but once he is completely comfortable in his body and playing at this standard, he'll be extremely serviceable at the very least. 200cm players with huge athletic ability don't grow on trees.
+1

Assuming he doesn't completely drop off in form and become a liability, he should hold his spot with an eye toward the future.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree Everton - I think we can afford to get him toward the 100 game mark.

The only thing I argue against is the expectation of him being a 'rockstar fwd' based on zero evidence. There is no shame being a 2nd fiddle ruckman who kicks his 20 goals a year and plays 150 games. None at all!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:It reminds me very much of how Gwilt was for several seasons. There seemed no way in hell Gwilt would make it for, say, four seasons. Then in 2010, it all came together. Went from 195 disposals to 510 disposals.
Not a good comparison. Gwilt played wing/third tall forward for the first five years of his career. His renaissance came when he was sent to the last line of defence in 2010. The situation's completely different - unless you foresee Stanley going through a similar transition.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
He wont be delisted - look at Hampson - 32 goals in 65 games - 26yo and got traded for a pick 28!
Now Rhys cant be any worse than Hampson. Quite possibly better and younger. So forget de-listing. Trading is an option. And you cant call Hampson a pure ruckman either (they had Kreuzer all that time remember). So a fairish comparison.
Stanley > Hampson
But
Hampson + Gale > Stanley

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Stanley > Hampson
But
Hampson + Gale > Stanley
Are you saying Dimma brought in Hampson for a perve?! :shock:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was our best ruck tonight and offered a lot up forward, especially in the first half.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

He won same amount of hit outs in half of the contests

He also won more footy

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Very good game for Rhys. Hopefully he will continue to improve throughout the year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
busso mick
Club Player

He was a totally different player to his last effort at Subi last year. He presented, he ran into space and he competed well at ball ups and throw ins. Richo has worked wonders in a very short space of time. He certainly wasn't overshadowed by Cox, NicNat or Hickey.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:He was a totally different player to his last effort at Subi last year. He presented, he ran into space and he competed well at ball ups and throw ins. Richo has worked wonders in a very short space of time. He certainly wasn't overshadowed by Cox, NicNat or Hickey.
Richo and also maybe Jolly for the ruck contests.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Rhys played well. He showed further improvement, and that is what we're after. He has had so much injury,,and hasn't strung too many games together. Hopefully he got some confidence out of today.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Good game coming along well but it helps finally being played in a position that he"s suited to !

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Richo would have seen Westhoff develop in the last couple of years and seen some similarities. They are both a bit slight and too mobile for rucks and are better used as mobile forwards. They need someone to create a role for them rather than try to fit them into a traditional structure.

Ross who?
Club Player

Thought it was a good game from Rhys. Ruck work was very good. Most pleasing for me was that he didn't drop any marks!!!! Hopefully it gives him some confidence going forward.
Much better option than Beau against West Coast

Blake Acres fan club VIP
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:Thought it was a good game from Rhys. Ruck work was very good. Most pleasing for me was that he didn't drop any marks!!!! Hopefully it gives him some confidence going forward.
Much better option than Beau against West Coast

Your biased.