Sandi is Overrated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Sandi is Overrated

joffaboy wrote:
dragit wrote:It's all subjective after that anyway, neither coach have Mumford a vote though… so clearly they didn't rate his hitouts to be very influential?

Riewoldt 10
Armitage 8
Smith 5
Ward 3
Hickey 2
Ray 2
That is the most telling of everything.

Obviously both coaches thought Hickey better than Mumford and Hickey the fifth best player on the ground.

But what would AFl coaches know? Far better to make up a ridiculous system to reinforce your increasingly silly position that Hickey is no good.

So you like asking questions BigMart (but never answer direct questions).

Do you know more about football than the two AFL coaches involved in the game?

Who were the clubs laughing at us over the Macevoy trade??
Game Set Match

matrix
Saintsational Legend

just say
'i was wrong to call him a gumby'
cmon you know you can do it
its fine, we've all made silly calls over the years, heck most of us in this very thread wouldve
but seriously....making up some points system to emulate dreamteam/supercoach is just digging the hole deeper

let it go
i dont have enough popcorn to last this out

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:....

just say
its fine, we've all made silly calls over the years, heck most of us in this very thread wouldve
but seriously....making up some points system to emulate dreamteam/supercoach is just digging the hole deeper

let it go
:D :D

Once we fet him to admit how wrong he was on the above call, then we can start finding out from him who were the clubs laughing at the Saints over the McEvoy trade :wink:

Should get us through to about August

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i know its not really fun to get stuck into others...ok well it is
but seriously it wouldnt happen if you just say ok i was wrong on that one

i still think rhys can be a gun
but im looking more and more likey that i could be wrong on this call
you wear it, say you were wrong and move on

what you dont do is make a a superbigdreammartocoach scoring system and confuse the F*** outta everyone

gotta say
it gives us all a laugh

anyhoo
im pretty sure i wouldve picked sandi in the draft with hindsight
reckon he mightve helped in a grannie or two

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

Did Mumford play well?

A simple yes or no?

Saying that kicking goals means someone has played a good game is ridiculous. I played a shocking game on the weekend and kicked 4??? Had about 10-12 touches and rarely influenced the game outside of some cheap junk time goals?!

What were Mumford DT results? Do you know
A scheme designed by statistician with degrees in mathematical probability?

That system too is flawed, I agree ... Far less simplistic than my little spur of the moment basic analysis?

But I bet applied to most players, in most games would rank them similar

But you obviously have a better system

The
I've been watching footy for 50 years... I think saints player X played a darn good game in the ruck and kicked some goals?!

You may have watched a bit of footy... In your mind you may have a good idea... Others may think you're clueless
What evidence besides your subjective view do you have to form an opinion.

Thanks for telling us about yourself again. Wouldnt expect anything else. Mumford played a good game. Never said he didnt but I did say the point of giving one point for a goal was to make sure Mumford got more points than hickey. Your MO is to obvious to think otherwise. I have never said I had a better system but i do know a goal is better than a handball on 95% of occessions and as uch would always be worth more points but that would have given Hickey more points. We know you would not have wanted that. I base that on previous experience. How can anyone on here have evidence to say they know more about footy than someone else. What should i do to prove that? Silly way of looking at things.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You said second best player JB

1 coach didn't have Tom in the top 5 players

I would have.... But it's all subjective I suppose?

Coaches obviously know everything and are always right.... Just wondering which one was right?
One coach even gave Watts votes after you dished out a ridiculous spray with no evidence or common sense attached?
Was it Game Set Match then?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You said second best player JB

1 coach didn't have Tom in the top 5 players

I would have.... But it's all subjective I suppose?

Coaches obviously know everything and are always right.... Just wondering which one was right?
One coach even gave Watts votes after you dished out a ridiculous spray with no evidence or common sense attached?
Was it Game Set Match then?

How do you know only one coach gave him a vote? I know you wont answer because you cant answer it in the way you want to.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

JB
I'm sure Hawthorn would be one of the answers

Secondly how do you know both coaches gave Hickey votes?
If they did give him one each... You stated he was given second best player... That's 5th best in my mind? If he got 4th best from one he wasn't rated best by the other?
I had him as 2nd best btw
And Mumford as 6th best
Riewoldt, Hickey, Armitage, Sheed, Mumford, Ray... Were my best 6

Going on Stats Mumford was just better as a Ruckman
But there were two telling moments in the game where Hickey CREATED a score

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: I had him as 2nd best btw
And Mumford as 6th best
Hang on a minute… what about the BigMart supercomputer index?

I presume you mean Smith instead of Sheed.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

This thread is like a fine wine.

FQF
SS Life Member

Is that confirmation that you retract your comments on Hickey being a gumby?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote: I had him as 2nd best btw
And Mumford as 6th best
Hang on a minute… what about the BigMart supercomputer index?

I presume you mean Smith instead of Sheed.

Who knows what he means. I cant believe a person picks his best 6 on the ground. I struggle to pick the best few for the saints let alone worrying about the other side. he must write for a paper.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I just says he played a good game. Doesn't say anymore or any less

If I wanted to be Harsh I would say he has been belted in ruck contests this year, and will be again by Sauce Jacobs

Dragit
Instead of taking cheap pot shots

Why don't you tell us what you actually think and why... What are you P66 jnr??

Pull apart the post

How did you see the Mumford v Hickey Match up... And how did you form that opinion?

loris
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:This thread is like a fine wine.
It can turn to vinegar tho' "dragit"

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dragit
Instead of taking cheap pot shots
Relax big guy, this is a pretty light-hearted and funny thread. Surely you're on board?
BigMart wrote: Why don't you tell us what you actually think and why... What are you P66 jnr??
Yes, got me. I am his son, we chuckle together on the couch as we post all the time. You can call me p33.
BigMart wrote: Pull apart the post
How did you see the Mumford v Hickey Match up... And how did you form that opinion?
My opinion here ironically is the same as yours and pretty much anyone who watched the game. Mumford obviously was better in the ruck duels… Hickey was probably better overall considering he kicked 3 goals and the margin was 7 points. I'd take 3 goals and 20 hitouts over 1 goal and 46 hitouts. I form these important opinions by watching the game and then later meticulously studying the stats…
bueno?
give us a cuddle mate…

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:....

just say

let it go
All that popcorn is making you fat

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So to you

A goal is worth what?

Depends how the three are kicked yeah? Going on this thread. But remember..... Can't take stats into account

Even though coaches, reporters, betting agencies, umpires, player, supporters and such do?

As the great Ron Barassi once said to Shane Zantuck (I think)
Possessions! That's what it's about, POSESSIONS!!!

Here's an idea
If goals are important in the Ruck... Why not play a natural fwd in the Ruck? Compete and whenever possible run fwd and kick goals? An idea??

loris
Saintsational Legend

I've been watching footy for 50 years...

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Whaaaaaat?? You are that old BM? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well Have I got you wrong. I visualised you as someone in mid- late 30's maybe 40 at a pinch. Goes to show ............ one never knows!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Whaaaaaat?? You are that old BM? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well Have I got you wrong. I visualised you as someone in mid- late 30's maybe 40 at a pinch. Goes to show ............ one never knows!!!!!!

I think he meant me. I have no idea why he would say that to me either. Cant say i have ever said that I have been watching for 50 years.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Here's an idea
If goals are important in the Ruck... Why not play a natural fwd in the Ruck? Compete and whenever possible run fwd and kick goals? An idea??
That was my idea on page 2
dragit wrote: Is this the future, gun key position players rucking?
The best part about this thread is that while we appear to be arguing, we are all actually in agreement.
The only thing I am still confused about though is your your scoring system, which gave Mumford 38 and Hickey 36… Yet you gave Hickey 2nd best on ground and Mumford 6th?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because stats don't always tell the full story... Just give evidence to support a view.

Hickey played better for two reasons

He slotted a difficult goal when the game was on, and his effort to push fwd on that occasion and Mumford inability to defend him was not just a possession win... It RESULTED in a score

Hickey caused a critical turn over in the third quarter, which started the momentum shift about 12 minutes in andq against the run of play... The turn over resulted in a goal. He created.

In ruck duels
He was flogged

The goals he kicked a are not the difference.... The ones created by his work are

Yes he kicked three... Big deal

How many did he and Mumford STOP or CREATE

loris
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
loris wrote:

I think he meant me. I have no idea why he would say that to me either. Cant say i have ever said that I have been watching for 50 years.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Went back and re-read that post. I missed the 'The' in the line above. and it changes the context altogether.

Sorry BM ....................... you can go back to me visualising you as the younger man. :)

Thanks plugger for correcting me............................. I'll have another think about how I wish to visualise you now because of your above disclosure.................. I always had you as a 'curmudgeonly old coot'. Guess I'll have to give you a bit more thought :P :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

Have you discovered anymore examples yet

The forwards ones didn't pay off... Mainly because you missed the point.

You should have gone defenders? Perhaps?!

The more I apply it in comparing Ruck games, the more it balance out Ruckmans stats IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Because stats don't always tell the full story... Just give evidence to support a view.

Hickey played better for two reasons

He slotted a difficult goal when the game was on, and his effort to push fwd on that occasion and Mumford inability to defend him was not just a possession win... It RESULTED in a score

Hickey caused a critical turn over in the third quarter, which started the momentum shift about 12 minutes in andq against the run of play... The turn over resulted in a goal. He created.

In ruck duels
He was flogged

The goals he kicked a are not the difference.... The ones created by his work are

Yes he kicked three... Big deal

How many did he and Mumford STOP or CREATE

One of the reasons he played a better game in your opinion was a goal and then all of a sudden the goals arent the difference. I know the reason for that. Its because Dragit said he would take the 3 goals and the less hit outs. What amazes me BM is you go on and on about hit outs meaning jack and I totally agree with you by the way but when Hickey kicks 3 goals they they are not the difference. So what is Hickey supposed to do? You really do change your arguements in even the same thread just to argue the opposite of the person you are discussing things with. Just admit Hickey is not a gumby and a goal is worth more than a handball on nearly every single occasion so any system worth anything would always give more points for a goal.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW

Have you discovered anymore examples yet

The forwards ones didn't pay off... Mainly because you missed the point.

You should have gone defenders? Perhaps?!

The more I apply it in comparing Ruck games, the more it balance out Ruckmans stats IMO
I'm confused again,

Are you talking to me?

About your supercomputer again?

Stats don't tell the full story - agreed. I think everyone would.

Does the method of how demented fans on the internet rank players really matter?

*(demented includes all of us)