Hickey or McEvoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey or McEvoy

Middo wrote:
hayes66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:I think I have said it before but if not - why do these unsuccessful clubs continually want our crap players like Ball & Ben?
Very good point. I would add Lynch to that also. I know people on this site still don't rate Tom, even though he has kicked ten in a game and lead Adelaide's goal kicking last year, and second game back from injury gets best or second best on the ground. All this crap that it's ok because we got Newnes and Dunston. If you want to improve isn't the idea to keep your good players and add to them? If you are just replacing good with good then you as a team aren't improving. I AM NO GENIUS BUT I KNOW THAT MUCH!!

Correct your no Genius ...Tom Lynch hardly showed anything when he was with us due to Lyon not giving him a chance or not really having an impact when he did play. He was a GOP with us and that's all I know and I'm no Genius ..
There were a pair of lazy but not crap players in the 2008 draft.
They were both forwards and they both played for the Sandringham Dragons.
They were outstanding due to their talent.
But when it came to AFL they both were found wanting due to lack of effort on the field.
They just didn't go hard enough.
One went No1 is the draft Jack Watts and the other Tom Lynch who went No13
Watts still gets a game on talent, how long Paul Roos will tolerate his softness is in question.
Lyon was never going to play a player who would not play hard and nor should he.
Lynch has done well when Adelaide has done well.
I am not sure if he has toughened up or is he surfing at the pointy end of a hard working team.
I would rather not have either of these players at St Kilda because when it really matters you can't rely on them.
Their instinct is to play soft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Must say Lynch never impressed me when he was with us ,remember where he was taken in the draft to my way of thinking he still hasn't lived up to that draft choice , when he got traded maybe it was the kick up the bum he needed he is doing well now but i don't think the club could have kept him on what he was producing!

PADDLEPOP1000
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Interesting to see the overall ruck ratings this season in the Age this morning - Macca at 5, Hickey at 6. So far, so good.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... zr2f7.html

Now, if we could just work out why we're plagued with foot fractures, everything would be hunky dory ...

Always loyal
hayes66
Club Player

ace wrote:
Middo wrote:
hayes66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:I think I have said it before but if not - why do these unsuccessful clubs continually want our crap players like Ball & Ben?
Very good point. I would add Lynch to that also. I know people on this site still don't rate Tom, even though he has kicked ten in a game and lead Adelaide's goal kicking last year, and second game back from injury gets best or second best on the ground. All this crap that it's ok because we got Newnes and Dunston. If you want to improve isn't the idea to keep your good players and add to them? If you are just replacing good with good then you as a team aren't improving. I AM NO GENIUS BUT I KNOW THAT MUCH!!

Correct your no Genius ...Tom Lynch hardly showed anything when he was with us due to Lyon not giving him a chance or not really having an impact when he did play. He was a GOP with us and that's all I know and I'm no Genius ..
There were a pair of lazy but not crap players in the 2008 draft.
They were both forwards and they both played for the Sandringham Dragons.
They were outstanding due to their talent.
But when it came to AFL they both were found wanting due to lack of effort on the field.
They just didn't go hard enough.
One went No1 is the draft Jack Watts and the other Tom Lynch who went No13
Watts still gets a game on talent, how long Paul Roos will tolerate his softness is in question.
Lyon was never going to play a player who would not play hard and nor should he.
Lynch has done well when Adelaide has done well.
I am not sure if he has toughened up or is he surfing at the pointy end of a hard working team.
I would rather not have either of these players at St Kilda because when it really matters you can't rely on them.
Their instinct is to play soft.
Well if your assessment about Lynch is correct then you are proving I am no genius. I actually think Lynch is a hard working player. That is how he gets most of his possessions. As for being soft I would of never detected that. I felt Lynch's weaknesses were, he is not a great contested overhead mark and he was perceived as slow.
I will watch him closely to see the laziness and his softness. Well done to you.
The main point I was trying to make is, I struggle to see the advantage of trading good players to then draft a good player. I would prefer to keep good players and then add to them. For example if The Saints traded Steven to get a high draft pick to then draft a good player. No point. No gain.
If you are correct about Lynch, then yes, the Saints made a good trade. If you are incorrect ,which is highly unlikely, then no it wasn't a good trade.
Newnes good player versus Lynch good player. Where's the gain?