Shane Savage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shane Savage

LTN16 wrote:Front runner!

Send him back to sandringham and do not gift him another game until he bangs the door down..
Only thing left to do

suss
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
St Ick wrote:Seems a front runner not prepared to work hard enough at this stage. He will learn and come good, many wrote Joey off early on too.

Melbourne were going to give up the pick they gave for Vince for him so we arent the only ones who rate him.

Time will tell but its early days, just hope the penny drops with him sooner rather than later.
I occasionally hear about all these people who wrote off Joey and Lenny when they were young but I don't actually remember this happening. When Joey was 23 he played a full season in a prelim side averaging 19 disposals, 5 marks and 4 tackles per game. Savage can't hold his spot in a bottom three side and is averaging 11 rushed, ineffective disposals, 2 marks and 3 tackles at the same age.
Agree with you MSD but you are actually underselling Joey a touch.
Joey was 23yo in the 2007 season - he averaged 24 disposals per game and kicked 10 goals for the season in a fairly ordinary side (we finished 9th).

So he was miles in front of Savage at the same age.

Lenny was 23 in 2003 - when he averaged 26 disposals per game and kicked 13 goals.

So its laughable to compare Savage to these guys.

I think you don't write anyone off before 21 or so - But the Hawks have written Savage off at 22 and I think we now know why.
I agree. Becoming a great player doesn't just happen without effort. A mate who knows (or at least knew) joey's dad told me in the year after he was drafted that he'd be a player because no-one at the club would train harder than him. He was an animal on the track from day one apparently and he's made himself a great player through phenomenal amounts of hard work.

I'd be interested to know whether Savage is applying himself or cruising ... it seems like the latter.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:Milera was quite handy; fast, has some silky skills and can kick goals, I would much prefer to see him back in. Shane's had a good run, he needs to go back to VFL and find some really good form before coming back.
totally agree.. Terry and Saad showed a lot on their first few... I like Terry think he has skill and something more then a HL VFL player... I would like to see him get another shot and Savage back to sandy... this way Savage can have a think about life playing AFL and we can see if Terry has a future.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

suss wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
St Ick wrote:Seems a front runner not prepared to work hard enough at this stage. He will learn and come good, many wrote Joey off early on too.

Melbourne were going to give up the pick they gave for Vince for him so we arent the only ones who rate him.

Time will tell but its early days, just hope the penny drops with him sooner rather than later.
I occasionally hear about all these people who wrote off Joey and Lenny when they were young but I don't actually remember this happening. When Joey was 23 he played a full season in a prelim side averaging 19 disposals, 5 marks and 4 tackles per game. Savage can't hold his spot in a bottom three side and is averaging 11 rushed, ineffective disposals, 2 marks and 3 tackles at the same age.
Agree with you MSD but you are actually underselling Joey a touch.
Joey was 23yo in the 2007 season - he averaged 24 disposals per game and kicked 10 goals for the season in a fairly ordinary side (we finished 9th).

So he was miles in front of Savage at the same age.

Lenny was 23 in 2003 - when he averaged 26 disposals per game and kicked 13 goals.

So its laughable to compare Savage to these guys.

I think you don't write anyone off before 21 or so - But the Hawks have written Savage off at 22 and I think we now know why.
I agree. Becoming a great player doesn't just happen without effort. A mate who knows (or at least knew) joey's dad told me in the year after he was drafted that he'd be a player because no-one at the club would train harder than him. He was an animal on the track from day one apparently and he's made himself a great player through phenomenal amounts of hard work.

I'd be interested to know whether Savage is applying himself or cruising ... it seems like the latter.
I think that would also be true of Joel Selwood...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Front runner!

Send him back to sandringham and do not gift him another game until he bangs the door down..
Only thing left to do
Except round 15 when it's a New Zealand theme game..

supersaints
Club Player

He hus been vury, vury dussapointing Bro!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Savage was the steak knives in that deal - the pick and upgraded pick were the real prize

#1 Ryder fan
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Savage was the steak knives in that deal - the pick and upgraded pick were the real prize

Not really - valued at about pick 25 by a few clubs and that was his worth in the trade with us. Hardly knives...

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

not sure anyone valued him at pick 25?

#1 Ryder fan
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Frustrating for me having seen Tom Ledger apparently working his butt off in the VFL, and never really getting a sniff, and then walks,
and now we have Savage who appears to lack any idea but gets games.
23 years old, if he cannot make the transition from a top team,
if he can't step up and help the rebuild, then he is only holding us back.

He needs to bring something valuable to the team.

If he has no extra qualities that can add to the rebuild,
then he is a termite who will undo all the efforts of others.

I would prefer him to wallow in the VFL for the next 8 years so we don't have to pay him as much.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:not sure anyone valued him at pick 25?

Carlton wanted to give up the pick for Hampson, Melbourne a higher pick.

And it you value McEvoy valued at about pick 10 which he would have been on the market, the overall trade that St Kilda completed valued Savage at a mid 20's pick in the actual trade we used on him.

Don't let the swapping and changing fool the value of players that changed hands.