Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White

BigMart wrote:Work ethic and courage doesn't come at a certain age, it comes innately as a part of someone's Attitude, Values and personality.
I completely disagree. L Montagna, for example. No-one questioning his workrate and courage at this point. But his first few years at the club he was little more than a flighty small forward. He learnt how to work hard - others can too.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

L.Montaga kicked 6 and 30 possessions in his first year at Springvale.

He was undersized at 72kg.... But he was a hard running wingman who dominated untile he broke his Ankle and missed 12 weeks.

In 2003 at 20yo he had a patch of 6 games averaging 15 disposals and kicked 9 goals with a Rising star nomination?!

He had played 13 AFL games at Spencer's age... Whilst being 72kg and missing 3 months.

04-05 were tough to get a game due to a midfield of Harvey, Powell, Thompson, Peckett, Black, Ball, Hayes, Baker, Dal Santo, Goddard, X Clarke
Fair competition for a spot

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:In 2003 at 20yo he had a patch of 6 games averaging 15 disposals and kicked 9 goals with a Rising star nomination?!
...and I remember thinking at the time that his Rising Star nom was a bit of a stretch. 15 disposal average? In the days before subs? Not exactly taking the competition by storm. He'd already been on the list for two years at that point. Seb Ross averaged 15 across 13 sub-affected games last year and no-one thinks he's going to be a star.
BigMart wrote:He had played 13 AFL games at Spencer's age... Whilst being 72kg and missing 3 months.
He was a mid who showed promise but you can't tell me he was anywhere near the Leigh Montagna of 2009 at that point. He didn't become a star until he learned how hard he needed to work at AFL level.

Freebird
Club Player

Joey always had the talent but Thomas held him back to work harder.....he would often be tagged in the twos.

I use to always bttch to my son that Joey was not (I thought unfairly) getting a game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Before the days of Zoning Berholt.... 15 possesions were not behind the footy in those days...

Joey has always been talented, and performed to the level expected, which is why he remained on the list. He was the smallest of the big batch of draftees and was always physically a bit behind the rest...

It took a few retirements of senior players
Powell, Thompson, Jones, Peckett and Black traded

Before
Gram, Joey
Could get a spot in a very good team. Full of midfield talent.

Spencer is probably more comparible to Josh Houlihan or Barry Brooks .... Smooth mover, very skilled... But not desperate enough
Sippos and Stanley also fit that category.

He is in a woeful team... Crying out for KPP support for Roo.

He is not getting a kick in the VFL.