Mitch Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mitch Clark

Do we want want him though?

He's another guy that kind of fits into that waiting to fulfil his potential category...
for the amount of coin it would cost to get him + trade cost... I think we could do better

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:Do we want want him though?

He's another guy that kind of fits into that waiting to fulfil his potential category...
for the amount of coin it would cost to get him + trade cost... I think we could do better
I doubt he should be charged too much for his services and trade cost should be minimal considering the circumstances.

Im happy to take him on if the above can be satisfied.

Considering the payout from the dees, it would be rich (pardon the pun) for us to pay good money and him to charge highly.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
skeptic wrote:Do we want want him though?

I doubt he should be charged too much for his services and trade cost should be minimal considering the circumstances.

Im happy to take him on if the above can be satisfied.

Considering the payout from the dees, it would be rich (pardon the pun) for us to pay good money and him to charge highly.

Gotta remember though this becomes a bidding war

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He wont want to go to another struggling club! He left Lions when they were down went to Melbourne who were worse. IMO he will end up at one of the challenging clubs possibly Essendon if the lose Ryder, but lets hope the AFL supports Melbourne and forces the other club to trade with Melbourne for him...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:He wont want to go to another struggling club! He left Lions when they were down went to Melbourne who were worse. IMO he will end up at one of the challenging clubs possibly Essendon if the lose Ryder, but lets hope the AFL supports Melbourne and forces the other club to trade with Melbourne for him...

Melbourne delisted him based on the all the evidence. Sorry but he cant be forced back there. Hopefully we grab in the PSD.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:He wont want to go to another struggling club! He left Lions when they were down went to Melbourne who were worse. IMO he will end up at one of the challenging clubs possibly Essendon if the lose Ryder, but lets hope the AFL supports Melbourne and forces the other club to trade with Melbourne for him...

Melbourne delisted him based on the all the evidence. Sorry but he cant be forced back there. Hopefully we grab in the PSD.
He's still on Melbourne's list. (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 7050530190)

He has been paid out for the final year of his contract (next year) but remains a listed player.
Melbourne could offer him another contract. If they do that and Mitch walks away from that he becomes eligible for the pre-season draft. If that is not savoury to Melbourne then they could trade him. Either way, Clark can't just choose a club to go to unless Melbourne delist him, making Clark a delisted free agent.

It's unfortunate that Mitch has form in this way of doing business. It calls into question his entire conduct this season. The way he left Brisbane was appalling, citing homesickness only to be swayed by the money Melbourne threw at him. Now he's shafted the Demons and wants to go to a "successful" club taking his $$$$ and running.

If I was in a position to recruit him I wouldn't touch him even if he nominated St Kilda as his preferred team.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

This is going to have a negative impact on the perceived implications of mental health.

People are going to rush to the easy answer of 'why doesn't Clark go back to Melbourne' etc etc

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We're in a window where we can take risks, and Clark is a great one to go for - throwing support and confidence at him could spur him to great heights.

Gives us five years to develop a long-term replacement for Riewoldt, too. I think that's priceless.

Plus we might be able to get him in the PSD. What a free hit that would be.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Why not, he still only 26 and as long as his asking price is no where near what the Dees paid.
Last edited by saintbob on Mon 08 Sep 2014 10:50am, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote:
It's unfortunate that Mitch has form in this way of doing business. It calls into question his entire conduct this season. The way he left Brisbane was appalling, citing homesickness only to be swayed by the money Melbourne threw at him. Now he's shafted the Demons and wants to go to a "successful" club taking his $$$$ and running.

If I was in a position to recruit him I wouldn't touch him even if he nominated St Kilda as his preferred team.
Gees that's a bit harsh LLS, chances are he was suffering from his mental illness when he chose to leave Brisbane - which they called 'homesickness'. He is hardly going to be making sound decisions if he was suffering at that time in any event his partner was from Melbourne and he had as many reasons to land in Melbourne as he did back in Perth.

I think we all need to be careful not to pre judge people suffering these form of illnesses!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Gees that's a bit harsh LLS, chances are he was suffering from his mental illness when he chose to leave Brisbane - which they called 'homesickness'. He is hardly going to be making sound decisions if he was suffering at that time in any event his partner was from Melbourne and he had as many reasons to land in Melbourne as he did back in Perth.

I think we all need to be careful not to pre judge people suffering these form of illnesses!
If he's making sound decisions now then he'd realise that he owes the Demons and should recommit to staying there and honouring the contract they so generously gave him.
He's given that team a big, fat nothing. They've helped him through this tough time and now he's cutting and running.
I can excuse the decision's he made when under the effects of this illness but if he has it under control then there is only one option for him. And that is to make good on the club that looked after him.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

LLF I tend to agree morally that he should return to Melbourne - but what if he ends up at the SAINTS via the PSD? Which has been stated as a strong possibility this morning on SEN. I believe if he doesn't want return to Melbourne (what ever reason) he needs to come out and make a public statement as to the reasons why. I believe in 'footy karma' and if he ended up with us it would be a big slice of bad karma that would no doubt later come back to bite the club ! Please tread very carefully Sainters....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Patrick smith on SEN this morning said we were into him...

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:LLF I tend to agree morally that he should return to Melbourne - but what if he ends up at the SAINTS via the PSD? Which has been stated as a strong possibility this morning on SEN. I believe if he doesn't want return to Melbourne (what ever reason) he needs to come out and make a public statement as to the reasons why. I believe in 'footy karma' and if he ended up with us it would be a big slice of bad karma that would no doubt later come back to bite the club ! Please tread very carefully Sainters....
Agree
We have recruited so many mature age players in the last ten years who have been a complete waste of money , would he be any different ?

In red white and black from 73
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mental health aside, we're talking about a player that hasn't played much football for nearly 3-4 years, his body had major issues. Melbourne may rightfully want some compensation for him, but he's certainly not worth what he used to be.

PSD for us or late pick only IMO.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

mr six o'clock wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:LLF I tend to agree morally that he should return to Melbourne - but what if he ends up at the SAINTS via the PSD? Which has been stated as a strong possibility this morning on SEN. I believe if he doesn't want return to Melbourne (what ever reason) he needs to come out and make a public statement as to the reasons why. I believe in 'footy karma' and if he ended up with us it would be a big slice of bad karma that would no doubt later come back to bite the club ! Please tread very carefully Sainters....
Agree
We have recruited so many mature age players in the last ten years who have been a complete waste of money , would he be any different ?

Have you seen him play?

You are garbage - Enough said
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
Agree
Have you seen him play?
I have and I've seen him tear us apart when he played for the Lions.
Would want to absolutely ensure he's got his issues well and truly under control and that his body is 100% right to go.

Even with all that it's a massive gamble.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't want to pay much for him....Marcus Strescothick bodes as a warning. Once you've left top line competition for mental/emotional reasons, its very hard (not impossible) to get back.
Has arguably short changed two clubs so far (whether intentional or not)....wouldn't want to be the third.

Nee!
spert
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
Agree
We have also recruited a lot of promising young players who didn't go on with the job. We need to recruit good players at any age and get the balance right. I saw Clark a few times playing at Brisbane and wished then that we had him- he can turn a game. At 26yo he is probably hungry to get back in the game and we should go after him.

FQF
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
Agree
Have you seen him play?
I have and I've seen him tear us apart when he played for the Lions.
Would want to absolutely ensure he's got his issues well and truly under control and that his body is 100% right to go.

Even with all that it's a massive gamble.
It's not a massive gamble if we get him for nothing in the PSD and he's on a regular wage.

He's not a risky 'bad boy' type who can stain the club's reputation. The risks with him are obviously serious but from the club's perspective they aren't damaging.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:It's not a massive gamble if we get him for nothing in the PSD and he's on a regular wage.

He's not a risky 'bad boy' type who can stain the club's reputation. The risks with him are obviously serious but from the club's perspective they aren't damaging.
It is if you build a game plan around him and he either can't get on the park or buggers off after a year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Mental health aside, we're talking about a player that hasn't played much football for nearly 3-4 years, his body had major issues. Melbourne may rightfully want some compensation for him, but he's certainly not worth what he used to be.

PSD for us or late pick only IMO.
+1

If he was injury prone with the Dees, what makes Saints think he'll be injury free once he get's back onto the arena in the seniors with us?

How did the great Wayne Carey go after being out of footy for 12 or 18 months?

Can we please stick to building the foundations for a team based on youth and a team that will grow together. I believe that is the formula for sustained success and we need quality talented youngsters.

If we want to recruit a forward I would be looking no further than Two Meter Peter. Peter Wright is ours and he comes cheap. People see how tall he is and immediately think he has to be a ruckman. Peter considers himself a forward firstly and has played his best footy as a forward. His height makes him so versatile and recruiters and his current coaches are saying he'll be as good as if not better than Joe Daniher.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:Wouldn't want to pay much for him....Marcus Strescothick bodes as a warning. Once you've left top line competition for mental/emotional reasons, its very hard (not impossible) to get back.
Has arguably short changed two clubs so far (whether intentional or not)....wouldn't want to be the third.
So one person equals the remaining sportspeople that have mental issues?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why take the risk? Yes there is risk taking on any recruit, but we should be looking to minimise risk. If you are a punter and you're continuously trying to find winners with long shots - you will most probably be losing a lot more than winning. That's just how things work. Same if you are investing in speculative shares instead of companies that have a winning track record. Why try and outsmart yourself when you can minimise risk.

We took a risk with Tom Lee ( many thought we got it wrong if he failed to make it the first time he was drafted) and we took different risks with recycled players in the past for different reasons (i.e. we were looking for instant results but we sacrificed our longer term and we might have been better off with a talented youngster and he could have turned out to be anything from a dud to a future captain). Now we have a chance to do the basics well as a club and especially as a recruiting department. Go for talented youngsters and only entertain a bloke like Clark if he's available in PSD.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 08 Sep 2014 2:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

After the way he let down Melbourne we would be stupid to touch him.

Avoid players with "issues".
surely we should have learnt that lesson!

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!