Schneider still on the list....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Schneider still on the list....

Con Gorozidis wrote:The club not rushing to sign Schneids - or announce it anyway. They might quietly do it after the GF. They are probably embarrassed.
Looks like they just haven't made the decision yet:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-12/s ... re-unclear

Is that OK Con or should they just come out and say "we hate you Schneids please go away"?

saint6709
Club Player

They probably need him to help balance future salary cap issues

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The club not rushing to sign Schneids - or announce it anyway. They might quietly do it after the GF. They are probably embarrassed.

Is that OK Con or should they just come out and say "we hate you Schneids please go away"?
I would be happy to sign him for another year on limited money.

Useful enough however the output surely did not equate to the pay this season. Or last.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Meanwhile, the Saints will meet next week to talk about the future of veteran Adam Schneider.

Despite minimal movement in the NAB AFL Trade Period, the Saints are yet to decide whether he will be offered another contract.

The 30-year-old was told at the season's end he would have to wait until they had a better idea of the composition of their list before a call was made.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-10-1 ... brey-early

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint6709
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
bergholt wrote:

I would be happy to sign him for another year on limited money.

Useful enough however the output surely did not equate to the pay this season. Or last.
He probably needs to be on more than Tom Boyd to off set future salary cap issues

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If he plays one blinder we may win one game next year that we may not have if he isn't out there. Case in point: the Essendon game this year.
I think Schneider up forward and Dempster in the back half offer a younger side stability and experience and if I was a betting man I'd be putting my money on him getting another year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

I like Schneids. Hes been good for us.

But we are in an official re-build and in his case surely both club and player should part ways amicably.

Hes just been hanging in there for the last three years by the fingernails.

Just being a 'good club man' cant justify him keeping a kid off the list - even that kid only has 40% chance of making it.

Schneids is off the pace. If you watched him closely when he played - Gee whizz. He was barely keeping up appearances . Not sure who was falling for some of his 'efforts' But it was like acting sometimes. Those little hammies just were not moving. Some of the 'chases' were almost Benny Hill comedy. And then once the ball was rapt up hed turn up 10 seconds later and be 4th man in a tackle just as the umpire blew a whistle for a ball up.

He also spends a lot of time 4th or 5th man outside a pack hoping it comes out for a cheap goal or so he can do something 'clever' . This happens from time to time but more and more infrequently.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:

But we are in an official re-build and in his case surely both club and player should part ways amicably.

Just being a 'good club man' cant justify him keeping a kid off the list - even that kid only has 40% chance of making it.

Schneids is off the pace. If you watched him closely when he played - Gee whizz. He was barely keeping up appearances . Not sure who was falling for some of his 'efforts' But it was like acting sometimes. Those little hammies just were not moving. Some of the 'chases' were almost Benny Hill comedy. And then once the ball was rapt up hed turn up 10 seconds later and be 4th man in a tackle just as the umpire blew a whistle for a ball up.

He also spends a lot of time 4th or 5th man outside a pack hoping it comes out for a cheap goal or so he can do something 'clever' . This happens from time to time but more and more infrequently.
God you speak a lot of rubbish…

He has essentially the same amount of disposals each week this year as he has for the past 10 seasons & this was his 2nd best season for tackles per week.

He was well down on goals, but didn't play forward as much and we were just a terrible side with a % of 60.

I reckon after 3 years of injuries his base level of fitness must be pretty average as he did struggle running out games & his pace was never great but even worse now.

Some people can't seem to grasp that different players have different roles… Players like Schneider & Montagna are instructed not to go to the bottom of every pack, so that when we actually win the ball, there is an elite user to give the ball to. Calling these players soft is right up there with the old "kick it long down the guts" crew at the footy - just dumb.

Maybe his body is just no good and he should hang them up, I'm sure he will gracefully if the club suggest it.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The list managers have to dump a few more from the list if they want to promote 4 Rookies, pick minimum 4 players in the draft and get Membrane in the PSD.

Schneider may as well be one of them, his best was yesteryear.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:

God you speak a lot of rubbish…

He has essentially the same amount of disposals each week this year as he has for the past 10 seasons & this was his 2nd best season for tackles per week.

He was well down on goals, but didn't play forward as much and we were just a terrible side with a % of 60.

I reckon after 3 years of injuries his base level of fitness must be pretty average as he did struggle running out games & his pace was never great but even worse now.

Some people can't seem to grasp that different players have different roles… Players like Schneider & Montagna are instructed not to go to the bottom of every pack, so that when we actually win the ball, there is an elite user to give the ball to. Calling these players soft is right up there with the old "kick it long down the guts" crew at the footy - just dumb.

Maybe his body is just no good and he should hang them up, I'm sure he will gracefully if the club suggest it.
Yes yes 'elite user', 'clever'. Thanks Bruce. I dont want him at the bottom of the packs. So lets hold him to cleverness' shall we since im so dumb and you are so smart.

2010 Average Goal Assists - Ranked 3 in the AFL - 1.4 per game (awesome year/awesome player)
2014 - that has dropped to 0.6
Reduction since 2010 = 57%

Average Goals for A Schneider.
Reduction since 2010 = 62%

2014 0.6
2013 0.8
2012 1.0
2011 1.4
2010 1.6
2009 1.4
2008 1.5

Hes now 40% of the player he was in 2010 according to your own outside cleverness measure. But he was absolutely s***-hot in 2010 and a very very good throughout 08-11. Certainly top 20% in the comp. That I will never ever argue

But hes well cooked now.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con you are suggesting he is soft & lazy, saying he's not even bothering to tackle...

I don't think that's true, he may be out of form and playing in a rubbish side. He hasn't looked match fit for 3 years, which makes sense when you have been injured 90% of the time. His body might not allow him to do what he wants to do.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We really do love arguing about nothing don't we..

Essentially I agree that he is probably done. I don't think he's lazy or soft, but his body seems stuffed & we would be better off taking the chance on another kid you would think.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Pelican likes him because he's a good kick and a left-footer. That helps on his spreadsheet quota.

He's still a good player ... if he can get on the park

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:The list managers have to dump a few more from the list if they want to promote 4 Rookies, pick minimum 4 players in the draft and get Membrane in the PSD.

Schneider may as well be one of them, his best was yesteryear.

i would say schneider and milera....makes 9 off....nine on if we do what you state

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Pelican likes him because he's a good kick and a left-footer. That helps on his spreadsheet quota.

He's still a good player ... if he can get on the park
Thats true. He gets bonus marks on the famous spreadsheet :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Con you are suggesting he is soft & lazy, saying he's not even bothering to tackle...

I don't think that's true, he may be out of form and playing in a rubbish side. He hasn't looked match fit for 3 years, which makes sense when you have been injured 90% of the time. His body might not allow him to do what he wants to do.
No im not at all. Hes tough as nuts. One of the great boxers apparently.
He does tackle - but I am suggesting hes always 4th or 5th man in to the pack cos those hammies just aint working any more. He will tackle if he gets the chance - but hes rarely close enough to lay one. He does come in once the play has stopped and put a tackle on.

Im not querying anything about him except I just dont think he can really run anymore at all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:Con you are suggesting he is soft & lazy, saying he's not even bothering to tackle...

He does tackle - but I am suggesting hes always 4th or 5th man in to the pack cos those hammies just aint working any more. He will tackle if he gets the chance - but hes rarely close enough to lay one. He does come in once the play has stopped and put a tackle on.

Im not querying anything about him except I just dont think he can really run anymore at all.

But his tackle stats suggest your comment is wrong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So whats your 'right' opinion then?
Exactly. Spell it out clearly.

I say hes down 60% on his KPIs from his 2010 peak. So if he plays on it should be at 40% contract $$.

Whats your opinion? Give him another 3 years?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I say hes down 60% on his KPIs from his 2010 peak. So if he plays on it should be at 40% contract $$.

No I said after the last game he wont play again but what I didn't use is a stat that you cearly have wrong to prove he shouldn't play again. By the way stats aren't opinions, they are facts so you can be right or wrong on that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

No I said after the last game he wont play again but what I didn't use is a stat that you cearly have wrong to prove he shouldn't play again. By the way stats aren't opinions, they are facts so you can be right or wrong on that.
Que?

As usual you have reduced a conversation to whether someone 'rates' someone or 'not'. Life must be all so simple in simple town.

The club will be considering multiple systemic variables of list management and list structure issues in the context of multiple players over multiple time periods. They wont once discuss who 'rates' 'who'. The bulk of the decision on Adam playing on will actually have nothing to do with Adam at all but will be about other players and how the coach wants to bring other players into the side etc etc etc

The 60% reduction in kpi stat was just a small part of an overall discussion. It wasnt meant to show or prove anything.

Now my bad for even responding. Shame on me.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

personally i hope they cut him

don't dislike the guy but he really doesn't offer much

would rather give Saad another go

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What we need to know is:

How many games do we expect from Membrey this year?
What % will Billings play fwd?
How much game time will each of Saunders, Minch and Murdoch expect to play in the fwd half in the seniors?
What is Elis injury prognosis? How much time do we expect him to play in the fwd line in the seniors?
What is our preferred small/tall structure in the fwd line?
Who did we want to draft?
Who did we want to Rookie?

It is all these kind of variables that will all add up to determine whether Adam gets a contract.

Not just whether we 'rate' him or 'not'. Obviously he has been a good player for us in the past (2008-11 he was terrific). But what is the benefit to the overall squad of him going again now its 2015?

bob__71
Club Player

I think they will either select saad at 41 and schneider will be delisted or saad will already be gone and they may keep schneider depending on who is available in the draft.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote:The club will be considering multiple systemic variables of list management and list structure issues in the context of multiple players over multiple time periods.
You left out programmatic specificities........

Tip - Just putting more words in the sentence doesn't make the sentence less full of sh1t.

You could have just said "they will be thinking about lots of options"....

I think Schneids will be gone, I think his body is done. I don't know how that will relate to multiple systemic variables but.................

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: You left out programmatic specificities........

Thanks for the advice Don Watson! I take your point but I get really tired of the blockheads who can only say 'i rate him' 'i dont rate him'. The point is it is a list mgt issue. bag me all day long - but thats how it will be discussed. Why keep him on if he just keeps minch eli etc from the side when hes not contributing enough to make it worth our while.

Ha I forgot about this guy!

Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 20 Oct 2014 3:19pm, edited 4 times in total.