GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS to get pick 1

St Ick wrote:What happens next year when GWS (hyperthetically) win 7-10 games and the feeling among the club is they are coming good and the wins lift the overall feel of the club?

The talk of just getting Cameron in the PSD next year is probably more unlikely that a crazy good trade like Cameron & 4 for pick one.

If anyone can recall Tyson, two years ago he was a signature away from joining Richmond, then he signed at GWS to the end of 2015 - 12 months later he was getting BOGs lining up for Melbourne. Why do I use this example? Because as cliche as it is, a lot can happen in 12 months so if there is a chance we can get any of Shiel, Treloar, Boyd or especially Cameron this year - then we take it when we have the chance.

Saying why would we trade for Cameron when we can get him for from is fantasy stuff.
I think you make a very good point St Ick and to be honest I think that will happen next year.

All the rumours about GWS players wanting to leave - but they string a few wins together and that attitude can change very quickly.
I am friends with Adam Tomlinsons sister and for a year it was all 'Adam wants to leave and come home' etc etc etc when he wasnt in the side. But then he started getting regular games and playing well and then they started winning a few - and he changed his mind pretty quick and re-signed.
So moods can change pretty quick.

They string a few a wins together and players start believing/seeing that a flag isnt out of the question.... That will happen at some stage up there youd think...

So i think the best chance to get a player from gws has to be this year or next. Might be too late after that.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I can't wait for the free agency/trade period to start, then we'll start to get some real answers.

I find the period between the Grand Final and Draft Day the longest part of the whole footy year.

There is not a lot happening so it just drags on and on and on.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evo wrote:Looks like Brian_Speaking was on the money. Hope so.

Based on what? I haven't read anything at all from people who would know. Im sorry but I don't count anyone on here based on previous form and to those who will abuse it obviously includes me. In 7 years on here I reckon we have got about 5 right. Cameron sounds like huge odds to me considering he has a contract and we haven't bottomed out. Money is our only hope. We would need a million. He is worth that but still think pick one cant get it done especially with Patton gone.

Which 5 have people on here got right? It is all just sophistry? No one on here saw McEvoy getting traded for example.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The problem is he isn't rated head and shoulders above anyone else. He isn't the clear number one pick and it seems from outside to be a weak draft. And there is no way we would get Shiel and pick 3. He is probably a pick 3 player on his own so we wouldn't get him and just lose 2 positions in the draft. The number one pick should be tradable at the right price. I reckon it is overrated myself. As I have said before I would trade it for Mitchell. He will be a star. That I am sure of. Petracca may or may not be a star. The ideal scenario is to get a very good player and a top 10 pick as Melbourne did last year.
I guess it comes down to how highly some clubs rate Petracca, and it sounds like a few clubs do rate him very highly.

Tyson was pick 3, then 2 years later was thrown in with pick 9 to get pick and a player that were very keen on.

If GWS are as keen on Petracca as they were Kelly, then we should be able to squeeze them hard for a very good player and pick 4.

Jaksch & O'Rourke aren't even getting regular games so aren't going to be enough (with pick 4) for us to give up pick 1 IMO.

We're not looking for a fair deal for pick 1, it should take overs to risk giving it away - bigger overs than the Tyson deal.

I think we'll be happy to hold onto the pick and take Petracca unless a deal gives us a very good player and pick or a potential superstar who is asking to come home… Shiels, Treloar, Cameron.

A bit like Boyd last year, if we'd really wanted him, it would have cost Steven & pick 3… the fact that GWS appear to have a number of young guys talking about coming home anyway may help us land a ridiculous trade.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Which 5 have people on here got right? It is all just sophistry? No one on here saw McEvoy getting traded for example.
When I suggested that we should consider trading McEvoy last year in a deal to get pick 1, some guy called joffaboy was crying like a baby… lucky he doesn't post here anymore.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Turn pick 1 into Dylan Shiel & Tom Mitchell & put them into a midfield with Steven, Dunstan, Billings & Acres & we've got the footings for a premiership winning midfield.

Syd
Pick 4 <--> Mitchell & Reid

StK
Mitchell & Shiel <--> Pick 1

GWS
Pick 1 & Reid <--> Shiel & Pick 4

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well done Dragit. I think it came as a shock to most people. I agree with your comments re: Melbourne too. Especially the issues with the timing of them getting the high picks in a compromised era of drafting.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Well done Dragit. I think it came as a shock to most people. I agree with your comments re: Melbourne too. Especially the issues with the timing of them getting the high picks in a compromised era of drafting.
Look I won't claim to have predicted it… was just one of the many, many musings and suggestions throughout the funny season. :D
I did however pick (along with st Ick) all three of our draftees before the draft last year… so I'll post next weeks powerball numbers when they come through, brought to you by Tanqueray.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Well done Dragit. I think it came as a shock to most people. I agree with your comments re: Melbourne too. Especially the issues with the timing of them getting the high picks in a compromised era of drafting.
Look I won't claim to have predicted it… was just one of the many, many musings and suggestions throughout the funny season. :D
I did however pick (along with st Ick) all three of our draftees before the draft last year… so I'll post next weeks powerball numbers when they come through, brought to you by Tanqueray.
Cheers mate, good memory :)

The other thing to consider is that perception is that Petracca is now far and away the best talent in this draft. So whilst pick one and pick 3/4 are so close numerically - they are miles apart from a drafting perspective this year. A number of kids from about 4 to 20 all have similar potential. De Goey, Weller, Brayshaw, Lavarde, they all could potentially become great players but all could go from 4 to 20. Why do I say this? To put into perspective the true value of Petracca (who I have concerns about still) in relation to a trade

Edit: no way Brayshaw drops out of the top half dozen but you can see what im saying regardless

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
...and now let's cut to a commercial break, brought to you by more liquor. :D

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

matrix wrote:Wtf has how long ago got to do with anything?.
The point was made because its either trade him or lose him for nithing
That's the whole point Dave has been saying.
Obviously the Stevens thing prob won't happen....its why we are pretty much in prime spot.
The worst that could happen is take Pet at pick one.

Nice spot to be in.
skeptic wrote:Us keeping pick 1 and using it on Petracca is also fair
If they want it badly enough... Make them pay

Shiels and Cameron is an outrageous price... Start there and negotiate until we get a good deal

Essentially what we would be losing is the player deemed as the next Chris Judd, remember that
skeptic wrote:I don't follow the state competitions so I have no idea about the type of player Petracca is/how good etc

I meant this more in terms of stature

The reality is that as of right now, as previously pointed out Petracca is a young player with a heap of potential...

IMO however, this is not the correct way to look at him

Right now, he is judged head and shoulders above the rest... the best midfielder and future star of the competition. For all intents and purposes he is essentially Chris Judd at the moment... the future midfield star of the comp, player of his generation. It'l like this because he is a clear standout... it's not a top 5 are even type of deal

Whether he is actually that good or not is irrelevant because there is no actual way of knowing

Hence when you consider trading the pick it's not correct to look at breaking even or being fair...
if you're going to do that... what's the point of trading? You're better staying with the commodity that you already have

You don't want to trade Chris Judd for Scott Pendlebury because the best case scenario is that he's equally as good or slightly better and the risk is he isn't as good. In that scenario (and I know I'm mixing eras here) you're better off staying with what works for you.

With the Petracca deal... we are not worse off for picking him. So what's the point of trading him for a guy like Cameron and having a gun forward instead of a gun mid... you're robbing Peter to pay Paul... no better off.

If they rate him that much... like he's the new Judd... the outcome for us is to make sure that we're better off for having lost him.

My first thought is that I want Jeremy Cameron but A) he's not enough and B) GWS aren't in a position to have leverage with him... he's going to leave them next season at the latest and the reality is that GWS is in a position to be bent over by the bottom club which is likely to be a Victorian one.

Shiels seems like a good start... but him and pick 3 (likely a KPP that isn't a standout as of yet)... well we're likely to be down the bottom next season too... this my be GWS only chance to get something for Cameron.

IMO the correct play here is to keep the pick and try to leverage a deal that involves at least 2 players and improving picks as minimum

Go high or go home
What Matt and Skep said!

And Cameron does want out. Is still refusing to extend his contract. Clearly doesn't like gated community life on the edge of civilization, and apparently not keen on the coach and being played at CHB due to all the GWoganS big forwards... too many to fit into the one forward line, and he's seemingly the only one with the mobility to play in defence.

The GWoganS also have to reduce their list numbers.

And several sources have been quoted saying that Cameron's very keen on the mighty Saints. (And that was pre the Junction, so now there's that as a further sweetener. 8-) )

Put it all together, and end of 2015... he walks for nuthin' into the pre-season draft.

So, if the GWogan bastards wanna' salvage something... talks to us now boys... and talk sweet. :twisted:

plugger66 wrote:Don't know nuthin...
You're being far too harsh on yourself Pluggs. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Good thing about Dylan is first that he is a gun - and second that hed be one of the few players in the known universe who might actually like Seaford.
So you're saying that all this talk of the Junction is driving him away?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
matrix wrote:Wtf has how long ago got to do with anything?.
The point was made because its either trade him or lose him for nithing
That's the whole point Dave has been saying.
Obviously the Stevens thing prob won't happen....its why we are pretty much in prime spot.
The worst that could happen is take Pet at pick one.

Nice spot to be in.
skeptic wrote:Us keeping pick 1 and using it on Petracca is also fair
If they want it badly enough... Make them pay

Shiels and Cameron is an outrageous price... Start there and negotiate until we get a good deal

Essentially what we would be losing is the player deemed as the next Chris Judd, remember that
skeptic wrote:I don't follow the state competitions so I have no idea about the type of player Petracca is/how good etc

I meant this more in terms of stature

The reality is that as of right now, as previously pointed out Petracca is a young player with a heap of potential...

IMO however, this is not the correct way to look at him

Right now, he is judged head and shoulders above the rest... the best midfielder and future star of the competition. For all intents and purposes he is essentially Chris Judd at the moment... the future midfield star of the comp, player of his generation. It'l like this because he is a clear standout... it's not a top 5 are even type of deal

Whether he is actually that good or not is irrelevant because there is no actual way of knowing

Hence when you consider trading the pick it's not correct to look at breaking even or being fair...
if you're going to do that... what's the point of trading? You're better staying with the commodity that you already have

You don't want to trade Chris Judd for Scott Pendlebury because the best case scenario is that he's equally as good or slightly better and the risk is he isn't as good. In that scenario (and I know I'm mixing eras here) you're better off staying with what works for you.

With the Petracca deal... we are not worse off for picking him. So what's the point of trading him for a guy like Cameron and having a gun forward instead of a gun mid... you're robbing Peter to pay Paul... no better off.

If they rate him that much... like he's the new Judd... the outcome for us is to make sure that we're better off for having lost him.

My first thought is that I want Jeremy Cameron but A) he's not enough and B) GWS aren't in a position to have leverage with him... he's going to leave them next season at the latest and the reality is that GWS is in a position to be bent over by the bottom club which is likely to be a Victorian one.

Shiels seems like a good start... but him and pick 3 (likely a KPP that isn't a standout as of yet)... well we're likely to be down the bottom next season too... this my be GWS only chance to get something for Cameron.

IMO the correct play here is to keep the pick and try to leverage a deal that involves at least 2 players and improving picks as minimum

Go high or go home
What Matt and Skep said!

And Cameron does want out. Is still refusing to extend his contract. Clearly doesn't like gated community life on the edge of civilization, and apparently not keen on the coach and being played at CHB due to all the GWoganS big forwards... too many to fit into the one forward line, and he's seemingly the only one with the mobility to play in defence.

The GWoganS also have to reduce their list numbers.

And several sources have been quoted saying that Cameron's very keen on the mighty Saints. (And that was pre the Junction, so now there's that as a further sweetener. 8-) )

Put it all together, and end of 2015... he walks for nuthin' into the pre-season draft.

So, if the GWogan bastards wanna' salvage something... talks to us now boys... and talk sweet. :twisted:

You're being far too harsh on yourself Pluggs. :wink:
Get treated now. And stop making things up. Its emotive but wrong.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

LOL

still cant see the forest for the trees.
can you not see we are in the box seat right now???

the worst case is we get Pet with pick one
the best case is we get Pet with pick one and throw coin at Cam next year and get him too

you can see those best and worst case scenarios?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:LOL

the best case is we get Pet with pick one and throw coin at Cam next year and get him too

Or if Cameron wants out this year you grab him while you can. Wait and he my not want out. Lets be honest here though, we aren't getting Cameron this year or next but if GWS want Petracca we are more hope this year than next. I think you are struck up a tree.

Saint wagga
Club Player

How come so many people on here are adament we are getting Jeremy Cameron, whilst others are shooting it down as pie in the sky - It's messing with my mind ;-))

FWIW, it seems the only forum members who either work for the club or have serious inside know are Jaxons and Tony74 who have been conspiciously quiet of late...gents, or ladies...if you will enlighten us all :-)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:LOL

Or if Cameron wants out this year you grab him while you can. Wait and he my not want out. Lets be honest here though, we aren't getting Cameron this year or next but if GWS want Petracca we are more hope this year than next. I think you are struck up a tree.
OK
I guess the pelch has already said to u we aren't getting Cameron.
Did he elaborate on our draft strategy??
Anything u can share that you've been told from the powers that be?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Turn pick 1 into Dylan Shiel & Tom Mitchell & put them into a midfield with Steven, Dunstan, Billings & Acres & we've got the footings for a premiership winning midfield.

Syd

StK

GWS
Don't think sydney will be going for that as they have an academy player in heeney lined up, regarded as a top 5 talent. I think they have to use their first pick on him? So all they really get out of it is using their original pick on someone else, which would be about 19 or 20 after compos.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Turn pick 1 into Dylan Shiel & Tom Mitchell & put them into a midfield with Steven, Dunstan, Billings & Acres & we've got the footings for a premiership winning midfield.

Syd

StK

GWS
Don't think sydney will be going for that as they have an academy player in heeney lined up, regarded as a top 5 talent. I think they have to use their first pick on him? So all they really get out of it is using their original pick on someone else, which would be about 19 or 20 after compos.
Academy bidding is before trade period. They still get Heeney at 18, another elite talent at 4 & free up significant cap space trading Reid & Mitchell who take up large chunks.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Get treated now. And stop making things up. Its emotive but wrong.
I probably do need treatment on various levels Pluggs, :lol: but not on the above.

What is in my previous post that you see as factually wrong? Maybe have another read of the quoted posts from Matt and Skep, and the points that they are making...?

Why would we look at any trade involving our number one pick... unless said trade improves our situation?

No 'swaps'! No 'win/win'! Only a big win... for our beloved club! Or no trade!

Our club holds the whip hand here! Screw any other club! :twisted:

You're still being far too harsh on yourself though Pluggs. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saint-stu
Club Player

Didn't Mitch Brown want to come to us a couple of years ago, and one year later was happy to stay at the Eagles?

1ac46a38
Razor
Club Player

If GWS are desperate to get the number 1 pick the only way I see us trading it would be if they include one of Boyd, Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Hoskin-Elliot or Whitfield. I would be happy to take a straight swap for either Cameron or Boyd. If they think one of those players will leave next year (most likely Cameron, Shiel or Boyd) they will want get half decent value for them now.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Razor wrote:If GWS are desperate to get the number 1 pick the only way I see us trading it would be if they include one of Boyd, Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Hoskin-Elliot or Whitfield. I would be happy to take a straight swap for either Cameron or Boyd. If they think one of those players will leave next year (most likely Cameron, Shiel or Boyd) they will want get half decent value for them now.
So you'd swap a potential champion mid, for a potential champion forward...

What's the point?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The point is pet hasn't proved anything at afl level.
Cameron has.

Pick one for cam and treloar?????
8-)

patto
Club Player

dragit wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Which 5 have people on here got right? It is all just sophistry? No one on here saw McEvoy getting traded for example.
When I suggested that we should consider trading McEvoy last year in a deal to get pick 1, some guy called joffaboy was crying like a baby… lucky he doesn't post here anymore.
Careful i think he still hits the report button from over at Bigfooty :wink: