How many wins this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: How many wins this year?

White Winmar wrote:
spert wrote:Can be bothered going through AFL history, but just wondering if any team has gone from last to winning the flag the following season?????
No team has ever done it. Closest was the filth in 1977, when they made, and drew the GF against North after winning the spoon in 1976. Fitzroy holds the unique distinction of winning both the spoon and flag in the same year, being 1916. There were only four teams in the competition and they only won two games for the season, coming last. They went on to win their finals and claimed the flag. Another one they pinched after robbing us in 1913.
I may be getting off track but this story is far-fetched but true. In 1983 (or was it '84) the East Gippsland Football League had 10 clubs but played in two divisions.

Only four teams were in second division and Swan Reach were rubbish that season, not winning a match. But then came "The Finals"! Swanny was unbeaten (after finishing 4th and bottom) during the finals and won the flag! :shock:

Not a bad effort; Premiers and Wooden Spooners in the same season. I bet the after-match function was one for the ages!

Saint supporter since '62
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
spert wrote:Can be bothered going through AFL history, but just wondering if any team has gone from last to winning the flag the following season?????
No team has ever done it. Closest was the filth in 1977, when they made, and drew the GF against North after winning the spoon in 1976. Fitzroy holds the unique distinction of winning both the spoon and flag in the same year, being 1916. There were only four teams in the competition and they only won two games for the season, coming last. They went on to win their finals and claimed the flag. Another one they pinched after robbing us in 1913.
I may be getting off track but this story is far-fetched but true. In 1983 (or was it '84) the East Gippsland Football League had 10 clubs but played in two divisions.

Only four teams were in second division and Swan Reach were rubbish that season, not winning a match. But then came "The Finals"! Swanny was unbeaten (after finishing 4th and bottom) during the finals and won the flag! :shock:

Not a bad effort; Premiers and Wooden Spooners in the same season. I bet the after-match function was one for the ages!
It is pre season. I think some liberties are provided in terms of being on topic (otherwise we would run out of conversation pretty fast). Great story.

spert
Saintsational Legend

So it's quite possible that we could play in the finals this season

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Half a dozen wins would be an achievement in itself. I have a feeling we'll pick up a few in the second half of the season, when the team starts to show signs of improvement.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

spert wrote:So it's quite possible that we could play in the finals this season
If ASADA comes down hard on Essendon, Freemantle and any other wayward clubs, yes! :D

Saint supporter since '62
citywest

Trev from the Bush wrote:Good to see citywest (got to be a troll, too pessimistic not to be) doesn't think we'll win a game. Just go and barrack for another team; StKilda doesn't need "supporters" like you.

The Saints will be a far more competitive unit this season, anybody who went to one of the NAB games and WATCHED (rather than listened to some talking head ramble on) would have noted the improvement. That said, I have not planned on taking leave on Grand Final week and won't be queuing for finals tickets. A 12 to 14 finish is possible.
I put it in red, bolded it and underlined it yet you still saw what you wanted to see. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

2 is a fail, 3-4 expected, 5+ a win

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

2 and a draw

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pffft
you lot should hand back your scarfs and badges
2 to 4 wins :roll:
wtf is wrong with you lot
get some belief
get some heart
show some friggin faith you poor excuse for supporters

on that note 4 wins 8-)

seano1
Club Player

I`m afraid it wont be many unless there are upsets....you cannot bank on beating gws or the suns even the dogs are on the way up...they have recruited well and their young guys have played around 50 - 70 games now while our guys are not even near that mark our exp. players are or will start to slow down in speed and like our young ones may be prone to injury now and we cant just believe roo can do it all......we just need to do the best we can do and wait for the kids to get bigger and stronger and more game time into their legs and hopefully get a couple more players who want to come to the saints not for cash but cause they can see a possie for them to get regular game time, these players must be from the next best thing level not top notch players cause those ones are overpriced and we need to get 2 for the price of one.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Three!
Essendon
Melbourne (maybe twice)
and/or an upset

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

1 for mine.

I can't see any team we're even close to on paper. Should still catch at least one team off guard.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
andrewg
Club Player

3 if we are lucky

No chance of beating sun's. Gws round 1 is a long shot with a few underdone

We are clearly the worst team due to the lack of experience and lack of quality a graders....Roo and Steven not enough.

I am not pessimistic just realistic.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

As we know Injuries will play a large role this year on how many we win - injuries for us and the team we are playing against which is why it is hard to predict how many we will win

Also as the H&A season draws to a close those teams in the top 8 will invariably rest gun players and the last 6 rounds we play teams that will more than likely feature in the finals - Port Adelaide, Fremantle, North, Geelong, Sydney and then West Coast - like when we played Freo last year in Round 18 they rested players and we got the suprise win

If we stay fit and relatively injury free we could win 6 to 7 games this year - if we struggle with injuries then it will be 3 to 4

So i'll predict 5 wins and a better percentage - looking at mid 70s :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
spert wrote:So it's quite possible that we could play in the finals this season
If ASADA comes down hard on Essendon, Freemantle and any other wayward clubs, yes! :D

You may just get your wish Trev! Are you psychic by any chance mate? :lol:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:As we know Injuries will play a large role this year on how many we win - injuries for us and the team we are playing against which is why it is hard to predict how many we will win

Also as the H&A season draws to a close those teams in the top 8 will invariably rest gun players and the last 6 rounds we play teams that will more than likely feature in the finals - Port Adelaide, Fremantle, North, Geelong, Sydney and then West Coast - like when we played Freo last year in Round 18 they rested players and we got the suprise win

If we stay fit and relatively injury free we could win 6 to 7 games this year - if we struggle with injuries then it will be 3 to 4

So i'll predict 5 wins and a better percentage - looking at mid 70s :twisted:
And of course if any teams we play at the end of year do heavy training loading when we are giving retiring players a send off. I still say 2 with a bottom 2 finish, but it looks as though three of our competitors COULD be severely weakened this year. We will know more in an hour or so.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:3 if we are lucky

No chance of beating sun's. Gws round 1 is a long shot with a few underdone

We are clearly the worst team due to the lack of experience and lack of quality a graders....Roo and Steven not enough.

I am not pessimistic just realistic.
Fisher and Dempster would get a game for anyone. Schneider is very handy too. Will he come off the rookie list?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Half a dozen wins would be an achievement in itself. I have a feeling we'll pick up a few in the second half of the season, when the team starts to show signs of improvement.
Young players usually drop off in the last third of a season Sainternist. Can't see much hope of a win after round 16 for mine.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The drug cheats will play....so 2

spert
Saintsational Legend

Some things needed addressing in readiness for this season so we can look forward to bettering last year's effort.
1. Continual improvement form the younger players
2. Steven and Armo need to improve consistency
3. Senior experienced players need to set a better competitive example
4. Coach needs to improve pre-game prep and motivation (too many games last year where the team was flat as a pancake form the first bounce, and we lost our way in games early, never to recover)

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Some things needed addressing in readiness for this season so we can look forward to bettering last year's effort.
1. Continual improvement form the younger players
2. Steven and Armo need to improve consistency
3. Senior experienced players need to set a better competitive example
4. Coach needs to improve pre-game prep and motivation (too many games last year where the team was flat as a pancake form the first bounce, and we lost our way in games early, never to recover)

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

3 of those you can see. The last one is a complete guess by you.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

My original optimism has given way to cold-hearted reality.

Three-four wins maximum, I'd think. Love to get to five or six.

There's just too many teams in from 5th-15th who are so far above us.

That said, our best 22 isn't bad, and could be competitive at home. Getting them out there is another matter.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:My original optimism has given way to cold-hearted reality.

Three-four wins maximum, I'd think. Love to get to five or six.

There's just too many teams in from 5th-15th who are so far above us.

That said, our best 22 isn't bad, and could be competitive at home. Getting them out there is another matter.
Against the top teams with big bodied midfielders who can continually rip it out of the middle we are in big trouble. But against the lower half, if we can get our best backline out there together - Fisher, Dempster, Delaney, Geary, Webster, Savage, maybe Shenton or Goddard I think they can keep the oppo score low enough, enough times to give us some sort of shot. I am strangely optimistic about our goal scoring this year - Rooey, McCartin (already kicking goals and setting up others), Billings, Lonie, Weller, Hickey, Newnes, Templeton, Monty, Saad all are showing, or have showed, the ability to hit the scoreboard. It might come down to how well the following are able to contribute on the scoreboard - Lee, White, Membrey, Armo, Steven, Bruce, Dunstan, Acres et al.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

:arrow: