Sandy vs. Druggies TBBO TODAY 2PM Be there!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandy vs. Druggies TBBO TODAY 2PM Be there!

gringo wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Brown had 6 years at that level and couldn't make it. Anyway he isn't the type we need.
So what type do we need to become a good team Plugger? Genuine question

I think he probably wants more outside running mids. I think we have the forward line covered unless we put Spencer, Lee and Bruce back with Goddard, Fisher and Delaney. Mc cartin, Rooey and Membery forward. We ave a heap of options for ball winning mids but some classy outside runners will start to complete the picture.

On my wish list is a star midfielder, preferably a big-bodied one, to complement our mosquito fleet. Injuries haven't helped. Seb Ross was looking pretty good pre-season. Maybe Acres can step up

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Brown had 6 years at that level and couldn't make it. Anyway he isn't the type we need.
So what type do we need to become a good team Plugger? Genuine question

I think he probably wants more outside running mids. I think we have the forward line covered unless we put Spencer, Lee and Bruce back with Goddard, Fisher and Delaney. Mc cartin, Rooey and Membery forward. We ave a heap of options for ball winning mids but some classy outside runners will start to complete the picture.

On my wish list is a star midfielder, preferably a big-bodied one, to complement our mosquito fleet. Injuries haven't helped. Seb Ross was looking pretty good pre-season. Maybe Acres can step up. Webster? He's taller, but still pretty slight and skinny

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Not sure about Lee down back, I guess they are trying to develop his defensive running & competitiveness, but his biggest weapon is goal kicking, I can't imagine him playing in the backline at AFL level effectively.
I think we've effectively stumbled on three forward targets in Bruce (recruited as a backman), Membrey (unexpected acquisition) and McCartin (scared off Petracca by the Boyd trade) since Lee was recruited. Add in White and the fact that we've invested so much in Hickey and Longer (who will need to rest forward if they play in the same team) and they've decided Lee as a forward is surplus to requirements. In defence we only have one backup in Simpkin and one young prospect in Goddard, so it makes sense to try and get some value out of Lee by playing him in defence. I'm not convinced that it will work out - in his early days with us he looked hopeless in defence and then fairly decent up forward. Best case scenario would be he becomes our third tall defender with Delaney at FB, Goddard at CHB, Webster and Savage rebounding with Wright taking the dangerous crumbers.

If the Lee in defence experiment works out, this could be our defence come 2019 when we're hopefully making a push for finals

B: Lee (28), Delaney (29), Wright (25)
HB: Savage (28), Goddard (22), Webster (25)

What I like about that is that there are three genuine A-grade disposers of the footy, plenty of run and Delaney and Goddard won't get beaten in the air.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:In defence we only have one backup in Simpkin and one young prospect in Goddard, so it makes sense to try and get some value out of Lee by playing him in defence. I'm not convinced that it will work out - in his early days with us he looked hopeless in defence and then fairly decent up forward.
My memory's probably failing me a bit, but have we actually used him all that much in defence in the past?

I know we used Maister in defence he looked all at sea, but I thought Lee has spent most of his time in attack, in the ruck or in the medical rooms.