Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

Re: Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

How old is he??

Obviously theyll know better than us.

If I was to avid a guess. No good. Will be playing for xavier 2017.

But hey like youve said if hes 20 who knows?
He'll have to start showing something though.
Dont think hes too serious about being a gun afl player.

FQF
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:How old is he??

Obviously theyll know better than us.

If I was to avid a guess. No good. Will be playing for xavier 2017.

But hey like youve said if hes 20 who knows?
He'll have to start showing something though.
Dont think hes too serious about being a gun afl player.
I was referring to Membrey. Spencer is also 20 I think but he is probably an exception to the general rule given how he has basically made no progression in 3 years on the list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
FQF wrote:Bit premature to be writing Membrey off.
Absolutely. He's only out of the seniors as present as Richo wants to see if Hickey can play as a tall forward. The jury is more out on Hickey as a forward than Membrey.

I thought he was very good as a mid sized marking target in his games thus far. He was generally getting the pill outside 50 too but the usual 'he's no good' write off merchants didn't notice that... it was all about the lack of goals he was kicking.

If he was very good as mid sized player he would be playing no matter how much they want to look at Hickey.
General rule:
Don't write off anyone who is 20 years old and played 5 games.

What about 3 years in the system and 5 games. Most fail so writing them off will give you about 95% right. I hope Membery is the 5% wrong.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Richo is saving White for the Melbourne game- keeping him in mothballs and then ready to unleash him on the unsuspecting Demons?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

In this week's inside footy it states that Spencer missed last week with an ankle injury.

lefty
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:What about 3 years in the system and 5 games. Most fail so writing them off will give you about 95% right. I hope Membery is the 5% wrong.
Gosh, at your rate, you'll continually pick new players every two years and end up no where.
You expect superstars at age 20, which is ridiculous and very few actually are, it takes time.

Its typical SaintSational crap over and over again, ie - trade Armo, he's a B grade a best crap, that this place consistently brings up week in, week out. So called experts on here seem to know better than the club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
plugger66 wrote:What about 3 years in the system and 5 games. Most fail so writing them off will give you about 95% right. I hope Membery is the 5% wrong.
Gosh, at your rate, you'll continually pick new players every two years and end up no where.
You expect superstars at age 20, which is ridiculous and very few actually are, it takes time.

Its typical SaintSational crap over and over again, ie - trade Armo, he's a B grade a best crap, that this place consistently brings up week in, week out. So called experts on here seem to know better than the club.

Ok just give me all the examples why Im wrong. Emotive post. No facts though. I have the facts. No idea about Armo because I never said that. Emotive words.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

White's problem is that he is still relying on potential to be kept in 2016.

There are some players like Curren who should quite possibly go at the end of 2015, but have 2016 contracts.

So the players most at risk of going are:
White

and
Markworth
Simpkin
Siposs
Michington
Shenton.

Simpkin is the most guaranteed to go IMO.

Sinclair will certainly be elevated to the Senior List.
Schneider's excellent halfa season may well see him elevated for next year too. Schneider's fete may well be determined by what success we have with luring any young gun mids from other clubs.

Our picks could be say 5, 23, 41......59 may not be taking ignoring rookie elevations which will be 1 or 2.

So that is at least 4 players who must go. Maybe 6. If we do lure any players then that will be more (ie Schnieder).

So a big chunk of that shortlist above would seem destined to be let go. Someone may be rookied and this could be White.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If I had to guess now I would say:

Gone from main list:

1. White (could we maybe trade him with our pick 59 for something in the 40s?. Let's remember he was a recent pick 25).
2. Simpkin (I love the bloke but not sure where he fits in to modern day AFL)
3. Siposs
4. Dempster/Fisher (one of these two has to go)
5. Markworth/Murdoch/Curren (one or two of these three has to go from main list - but might get rookied anyway)

On:

1. Draft pick 5
2. Draft Pick 23
3. Draft Pick 41
4. Draft pick 59 (could upgrade this pick to something in the 40s maybe. e.g White + 59 for pick 45).
5. Draft pick 77 - J Sinclair (upgrade)

I would like to see us use those four draft picks.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 12 Jun 2015 5:14pm, edited 3 times in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:White's problem is that he is still relying on potential to be kept in 2016.

There are some players like Curren who should quite possibly go at the end of 2015, but have 2016 contracts.
Contracts don't really matter this year. We've got more than enough room in the salary cap to pay someone out. I'd think the minor cost of $150k to get rid of a Curren or Lee if we deem they're surplus to requirements would be a worthwhile investment.

Kernal75
Club Player

Listened to a Podcast the other day where Derek Hine from the Pies said this draft is pretty weak compared to the last couple. General consensus amongst list managers is nothing a great value past the second round. Also said that clubs will look at "alternative" approaches to list management such as contracting players for longer who normally wouldn't get offered new deals. For that reason I don't see Spencer White going anywhere this year. He's only 20 and Richo has been on record as saying he's pretty important to our footy club going forward. I think the likes on Simpkin, Minchington and smaller type Fwds are under more pressure than Spencer. I'll almost bet my house on Markworth playing before the end of the season. If he shows something he'll be offered another contract, if not then I expect he'll be retained as a rookie.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Listened to a Podcast the other day where Derek Hine from the Pies said this draft is pretty weak compared to the last couple. General consensus amongst list managers is nothing a great value past the second round. Also said that clubs will look at "alternative" approaches to list management such as contracting players for longer who normally wouldn't get offered new deals. For that reason I don't see Spencer White going anywhere this year. He's only 20 and Richo has been on record as saying he's pretty important to our footy club going forward. I think the likes on Simpkin, Minchington and smaller type Fwds are under more pressure than Spencer. I'll almost bet my house on Markworth playing before the end of the season. If he shows something he'll be offered another contract, if not then I expect he'll be retained as a rookie.

I will say it again. He was given only a one year contract for a reason. The club knew his age at the time they gave him that contract. In the year of this one year contract he has played in our thirds and done bugger all in our seconds. Now he hasn't played the last 3 games. Why with all that information would he now get a further contract. Also the club would have known it was a weak draft late last season but still didn't give White 2 years.

All this changes if he does what the club expect in his last 9 games.

FQF
SS Life Member

Is Murdoch contracted? Basically done nothing since being drafted.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I will say it again. He was given only a one year contract for a reason. The club knew his age at the time they gave him that contract. In the year of this one year contract he has played in our thirds and done bugger all in our seconds. Now he hasn't played the last 3 games. Why with all that information would he now get a further contract. Also the club would have known it was a weak draft late last season but still didn't give White 2 years.

So , the 'lack of ticker' for the hard stuff gossip ,
is just that , gossip.?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigballs
Club Player

FQF wrote:Is Murdoch contracted? Basically done nothing since being drafted.
Murdoch contracted till the end of 2016.

Kernal75
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Listened to a Podcast the other day where Derek Hine from the Pies said this draft is pretty weak compared to the last couple. General consensus amongst list managers is nothing a great value past the second round. Also said that clubs will look at "alternative" approaches to list management such as contracting players for longer who normally wouldn't get offered new deals. For that reason I don't see Spencer White going anywhere this year. He's only 20 and Richo has been on record as saying he's pretty important to our footy club going forward. I think the likes on Simpkin, Minchington and smaller type Fwds are under more pressure than Spencer. I'll almost bet my house on Markworth playing before the end of the season. If he shows something he'll be offered another contract, if not then I expect he'll be retained as a rookie.

Time will tell I guess. As it stands now I think he'll get another contract. No use in pushing on a player at age 20 who's had 3 years in the system for another 18yo from a weak draft. Better the devil you know imo. There's zero issue with giving him another 1 year contract of the options around our selection aren't that appealing.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

People posting that he has had three years in the system are choosing to ignore his injury issues.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:People posting that he has had three years in the system are choosing to ignore his injury issues.

He has played every season and has played a lot of games in that time. Anyway it was the club who gave him only a one year contract, not us on the fan forum.

Playon
Club Player

Well I remember reading that he only uses 60% of his lung capacity.

Which would be why he struggles in the 2km time trials and why the altitude chamber hasn't helped. He could have all the skills in the world but these days the way the game is played you need to be able to run. Perhaps he was born too late and may of gone better 20 years ago as a stay at home forward.

Imagine trying to sprint 100 metres and hold your breath for 40 of them each time you run over a 2 hour period. Its hard enough fully fit.
See if you can commit to that before you label him as lazy.

Perhaps the club has given him the year to see if can overcome it to some extent.

If I was him I'd look not only at traditional medicine but expand into the biomedical treatments and tests as well. I know there's new heat treatments available in the US that have had success and there's other drugs besides steroids that can help eg some success with a new seaweed treatment. To name a couple of options.

If players can inject calves blood into their thighs for hammys or whatever it was, no stone should be left unturned for other players and other ailments.
I kind of get the feeling he's be left to his own demise.

But like everyone else here I'm only guessing. Still the athsma would have to be a major factor, I feel for the guy, It sux, and wish him well.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I think White will be one of our compulsory delistings at seasons end, i think he'll be able to compare notes with Simpkin.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts on the future of Spencer White

From Twitter:

@stkildafc: @mattahy Spencer has had a minor ankle injury recently. Is not on the injury list because he's available for selection after the bye.

FQF
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:From Twitter:

@stkildafc: @mattahy Spencer has had a minor ankle injury recently. Is not on the injury list because he's available for selection after the bye.
What a terrible explanation. Hasn't played for two weeks and wasn't on list.