Nick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Nick

Con Gorozidis wrote:Is this post a joke?

People are saying 'Rooooooooo'.

And for anyone who boos Goodes. You are racist. Plain and simple. Dont give me any of your cr*p excuses like 'oh i am no racist but i boo him because he dived for a free in 2004' etc etc etc.

And 'other indigenous players' dont get booed because they now their 'place' in white society. Goodes gets booed because he dares to be asked to be listened to, even, if just for a moment. Is that too much to ask?

If a black man is bold and dares to even slightly stick his head up or go against the grain just a little, old whitie's head just explodes doesn't it.
Sorry Con but anyone who purports to peep into the skull of each of the thousands of people who has booed Goodes and can pronounce each of their intentions is getting a little carried away. Sure some might boo him for racist reasons, and that is unacceptable. But that's about as far as it can go.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If people want to be up in arms about something can they be up in arms about the AFL app? I paid for it and it just bombards you with ads. Greedy pr*cks.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote: I actually think us debating the issue shows how much he has done. The very fact it is an issue in the media shows his voice got through and no matter how uncomfortable and nasty the debates get it opens peoples minds up to how something could be done to change the unacceptable status quo. Most people like you are not racist but you seem like you would prefer him to keep his head in where I would like hi to go harder in the media. It's at a great expense to his own peace of mind but will do amazing things for a lot of unheard people who don't get a say. He might not be the greatest statesman but he's a voice. Lamumba is not really a fair comparison because he was running a more personal agenda for attention. Asking to meet the Dalai Lama was cringeworthy no matter who you are.

Don't agree with this at all. He is using the AFL for a political platform. This is completely and utterly wrong place to do it in my opinion.

AotY was appropriate if he wanted to vilify fellow Australians. To aggressively pretend to attack opposition supporters with his made up war dance, was just violent provocation.

Soccer suffered with this type of self aggrandiosement and ethnic problems in their game here for years. Now Goodes is introducing his political views in the peoples game.

He has no right. It is not his game, it is not mine or yours or Mclauchlin's or anybodies to use as their political plaything.

If he wants to paly politics, retire form football and go into politics. But don't politicise our game and then play shocked that the majority resent it.

You are lucky you aren't a voiceless person then. If the shoe was on the other foot most Australians would be going nuts at the lack of public interest in their plight. Soccer was Serbs and Croats fighting over ancient wars in homeland that the fans left decades ago. It was pointless and more about tribalism than any actual political platform. I know you are a bit of a lefty Bunk and can only imagine you are going contrary to what you consider the popular view point because you are usually a pretty reasonable thinker.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Self justify all day long. You cant handle a black man who acts outside of his station. Who doesnt know his place and stay in his box.
Keep replying with these very very very flimsy pieces of self justification. You are just digging a bigger hole.
I dont think Goodesy 'constantly' carps (sic) on about anything. Merely raises some awareness. And if NIck was indigenous and used his profile to raise a few issues, I dont think any of us would complain.

As for the land rights - well this isnt the place to discuss it - but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. That much is painfully clear. In fact your ideas are so dreadfully ignorant that I think a conversation on the topic is pointless is at this stage.
How f****** dare you !! Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot handle.
I just dared and I just did tell you.
Be up in arms if you like.

And how am I projecting when I am not the one upset by Goodesy? I don't think 'projecting' means what you think it means.

I think this thread is heading towards lock-down territory. A real shame.

You calling people racists and your abuse will contribute greatly to that. I have yet to read one reasoned argument from you.

Mainly been abuse and hysterical shouts of RACIST with anybody daring not to adhere to your groupthink orthodoxy.

TB is onto something, sound a lot like projection. Scratch the surface of a zealot and you will find they have doubts about their own tolerance. Only you can answer that one COn.

In the meantime, attempt to show some respect for views not your own instead of hectoring and shouting down because you haven't the perspicacity to understand the arguments.

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

And for anyone who boos Goodes. You are racist. Plain and simple. Dont give me any of your cr*p excuses like 'oh i am no racist but i boo him because he dived for a free in 2004' etc etc etc.

And 'other indigenous players' dont get booed because they now their 'place' in white society. Goodes gets booed because he dares to be asked to be listened to, even, if just for a moment. Is that too much to ask?

If a black man is bold and dares to even slightly stick his head up or go against the grain just a little, old whitie's head just explodes doesn't it.
Sorry Con but anyone who purports to peep into the skull of each of the thousands of people who has booed Goodes and can pronounce each of their intentions is getting a little carried away. Sure some might boo him for racist reasons, and that is unacceptable. But that's about as far as it can go.
But it is so god darn obvious the booing is racist. Trying to pretend there are some other reasons is just a joke. Some things are so clearly evident. The legal term is res ipsa loquitur. The thing speaks for itself.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Self justify all day long. You cant handle a black man who acts outside of his station. Who doesnt know his place and stay in his box.
Keep replying with these very very very flimsy pieces of self justification. You are just digging a bigger hole.
I dont think Goodesy 'constantly' carps (sic) on about anything. Merely raises some awareness. And if NIck was indigenous and used his profile to raise a few issues, I dont think any of us would complain.

As for the land rights - well this isnt the place to discuss it - but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. That much is painfully clear. In fact your ideas are so dreadfully ignorant that I think a conversation on the topic is pointless is at this stage.
How f****** dare you !! Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot handle.
I just dared and I just did tell you.
Be up in arms if you like.

And how am I projecting when I am not the one upset by Goodesy? I don't think 'projecting' means what you think it means.

I think this thread is heading towards lock-down territory. A real shame.

You calling people racists and your abuse will contribute greatly to that. I have yet to read one reasoned argument from you.

Mainly been abuse and hysterical shouts of RACIST with anybody daring not to adhere to your groupthink orthodoxy.

TB is onto something, sound a lot like projection. Scratch the surface of a zealot and you will find they have doubts about their own tolerance. Only you can answer that one COn.

In the meantime, attempt to show some respect for views not your own instead of hectoring and shouting down because you haven't the perspicacity to understand the arguments.
Reasoned argument? I am not sure what I am arguing? Reasons for not booing? It is hard to prove a negative.
Or reasons why booing is racist?
I will ask again - do you know the name of the 13yo girl?
Group think orthodoxy? Who is the group I am adhering to? I am quite sure it was the group booing at the WC game at Subi that gave rise to this thread.

I love it how racists now they think they have a 'voice'. Ever since the George Brandis comments about bigots . Are you trying to seriously engage in a rights debate? A free speech debate? What exactly are you defending here? The right to boo? Some convoluted crap how Adam is really not a very good person?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 4:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:

But it is so god darn obvious the booing is racist. Trying to pretend there are some other reasons is just a joke. Some things are so clearly evident. The legal term is res ipsa loquitur. The thing speaks for itself.
So you're attempting to impute the knowledge to all the boo-ers? Even if that argument held up it is only constructive intention and not actual intention, and in the real world, that means nothing.

Anyway, I'm not nearly as convinced as you that the thing speaks for itself. How many times do fans get the opportunity while sitting in the stands to have a very real, very direct influence on the performance of a player and thus perhaps on the result? Goodes is clearly affected by the booing and fans will seize on that possibility to gain an advantage for their team. To me that is a far more compelling explanation for most of the boo-ers, although granted, it could have been started originally by racists.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to go on about it but Bunk, on the war dance I remember Alan Mc Alister saying similar about Winmar pulling up his jumper. It was an iconic moment and beyond anything that Nicky imagined when he instinctively stood up for himself. He was roped into being a symbol of a political movement. Cathy Freeman got s*** canned for having the gaul to have dual flags when she ran for Australia. It means f*** all to most of us white folks but a little bit of Aboriginal pride will puff out the chests of a heap of kids who's self respect and future vision is so eroded it's depressing to think about. If Adam Goodes war dance gets a few kids to take personal pride in their culture and helps to further the voices of more Indigenous Australian he's done well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:

So you're attempting to impute the knowledge to all the boo-ers? Even if that argument held up it is only constructive intention and not actual intention, and in the real world, that means nothing.

Anyway, I'm not nearly as convinced as you that the thing speaks for itself. How many times do fans get the opportunity while sitting in the stands to have a very real, very direct influence on the performance of a player and thus perhaps on the result? Goodes is clearly affected by the booing and fans will seize on that possibility to gain an advantage for their team. To me that is a far more compelling explanation for most of the boo-ers, although granted, it could have been started originally by racists.
Im not sure it is effecting his performance. I think age is effecting his performance and I think bugger all are booing because of that. I now think the main booers are just herd mentality people.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 28 Jul 2015 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:

Yes I am actually. They are f****** idiots.
Maybe go and read the comments section in the Australian and go on BigFooty and it is safe to say the booers are racists. Their main reason seems to be they dont like him speaking out on indigenous issues and that he needs to 'pull his head in.'

In fact not a single person on the Australian website raises the issue of booing affecting his performance. You are the first to raise that issue. Nice try. Clearly and demonstrably false. But at least you came up with a semi-original idea.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:

Compelling :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote: I actually think us debating the issue shows how much he has done. The very fact it is an issue in the media shows his voice got through and no matter how uncomfortable and nasty the debates get it opens peoples minds up to how something could be done to change the unacceptable status quo. Most people like you are not racist but you seem like you would prefer him to keep his head in where I would like hi to go harder in the media. It's at a great expense to his own peace of mind but will do amazing things for a lot of unheard people who don't get a say. He might not be the greatest statesman but he's a voice. Lamumba is not really a fair comparison because he was running a more personal agenda for attention. Asking to meet the Dalai Lama was cringeworthy no matter who you are.

Don't agree with this at all. He is using the AFL for a political platform. This is completely and utterly wrong place to do it in my opinion.

AotY was appropriate if he wanted to vilify fellow Australians. To aggressively pretend to attack opposition supporters with his made up war dance, was just violent provocation.

Soccer suffered with this type of self aggrandiosement and ethnic problems in their game here for years. Now Goodes is introducing his political views in the peoples game.

He has no right. It is not his game, it is not mine or yours or Mclauchlin's or anybodies to use as their political plaything.

If he wants to paly politics, retire form football and go into politics. But don't politicise our game and then play shocked that the majority resent it.

Did he use the AFL for his political platform. He may have used the Australian of the year award as a political platform but im unsure he has used the AFL. And I think the war dance was pure frustration from the amount of boos he gets. I don't think anyone of us would know how much it is effecting him. I do know Milney was really effected by it and didn't even do a retirement lap because of it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
FQF wrote:

Compelling :roll:
What would you like me to argue? Most racists are clever enough to provide some excuse for booing him. So what. They are clearly untrue. You can roll your eyes all day and all night but your position is untenable and demonstrably disingenous .

The booing started when he was named AotY and after the 13yo girl incident. Noone knows the name of that girl. Noone. So how can she have been vilified? Adam made the effort to meet with her and have a conversation. In fact, he made a good point, it was NEVER about the individual girl. The issue he raises, is that if 13yo girls are calling aboriginal people 'black apes' in public - then society has a problem. This is self-evident to any reasonable person. That this is uncomfortable to us has meant people turning on Adam and then justifying it with weird reasons like 'he staged for a free in 08' or 'he is a sniper.'

Amazing how people suddenly started booing him for these things AFTER the AOTY and the girl incident. Noone was booing him before that. So yeah - given what we KNOW to be the triggers for the onslaught of boos - I can confidently say it is rooted in racism and rooted in people feeling uncomfortable about him making us uncomfortable. It is payback.

Now instead of having sensible debates about indigenous issues (and listening to intelligent voices like Noel Pearson) we are all in a stew about booing Adam Goodes.

That is a crying shame.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 4:33pm, edited 7 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Did he use the AFL for his political platform. He may have used the Australian of the year award as a political platform but im unsure he has used the AFL. And I think the war dance was pure frustration from the amount of boos he gets. I don't think anyone of us would know how much it is effecting him. I do know Milney was really effected by it and didn't even do a retirement lap because of it.
Yes he was clearly using the AOTY as his platform. This happened to be in a year where he was still playing. Now if he had his time to choose, I am sure he would say hed rather have the AOTY year after he stopped playing - but he didn't give himself the award.

People claiming he is 'using the afl as a political platform' are just playing games to justify themselves. He was clearly using the AOTY as he should to raise some issues for his people. What did people want? Good little black boy staying quiet?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

People claiming he is 'using the afl as a political platform' are just playing games to justify themselves. He was clearly using the AOTY as he should to raise some issues for his people. What did people want? Good little black boy staying quiet?
When he appears on TV in an add for the Recognise campaign as Adam Goodes, Sydney footballer, he is using the AFL as his political platform.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:[

You are lucky you aren't a voiceless person then. If the shoe was on the other foot most Australians would be going nuts at the lack of public interest in their plight. Soccer was Serbs and Croats fighting over ancient wars in homeland that the fans left decades ago. It was pointless and more about tribalism than any actual political platform. I know you are a bit of a lefty Bunk and can only imagine you are going contrary to what you consider the popular view point because you are usually a pretty reasonable thinker.
I am extremely lucky to be in the white majority. I have NEVER been shunned or racially abused in my country like Adam Goodes would have been, probably daily. I had a taste of that in Japan and I can tell you it is not nice.

So you just think I an being contrary for fun gringo?

Don't you think I would deliberately take this view just to be on the other side? No this is a personal opinion of being bullied by the AFL and having them accuse ALL fans who boo Goodes as ALL BEING RACIST.

I resent the way this is being portrayed as everyone who has a bad word to say about Goodes is a racist. It is the worst and most incorrect use of the race card I have ever seen play in Australia.

To make it worse, it is being played out on a place where everyone is supposed to be on the level playing field, the AFL.

This dumbing and attack dog mentality is showing how devisive and BAD Adam Goodes and his self indulgent antics are doing not only to our game but to relations with our indegeneous population.

There is little credit to be had on any side of this debate unfortunately.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
When he appears on TV in an add for the Recognise campaign as Adam Goodes, Sydney footballer, he is using the AFL as his political platform.
His public profile yes. And? Why does that make you feel uncomfortable? How is it different to say Richard Flanagan raising political issues when he won his Man Booker prize last year or Rosie Batty raising domestic violence issues as AOTY?

Maybe I should start booing Rosie. I mean I have never committed domestic violence right? I am innocent. Why should I as a white man be fingered for something I have never done but other white men have done? Not my fault. I might starting booing Rosie.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 4:46pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I am extremely lucky to be in the white majority. I have NEVER been shunned or racially abused in my country like Adam Goodes would have been, probably daily. I had a taste of that in Japan and I can tell you it is not nice.

Don't you think I would deliberately take this view just to be on the other side? No this is a personal opinion of being bullied by the AFL and having them accuse ALL fans who boo Goodes as ALL BEING RACIST.

I resent the way this is being portrayed as everyone who has a bad word to say about Goodes is a racist. It is the worst and most incorrect use of the race card I have ever seen play in Australia.

To make it worse, it is being played out on a place where everyone is supposed to be on the level playing field, the AFL.

This dumbing and attack dog mentality is showing how devisive and BAD Adam Goodes and his self indulgent antics are doing not only to our game but to relations with our indegeneous population.

You are missing the point big time.
Noone says you have to love him or agree with everything he says. In fact you can dislike him all you like. Just dont boo him when you know there is at least some racist element to it. Even if that element is only 20%. Why join in?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Yes he was clearly using the AOTY as his platform. This happened to be in a year where he was still playing. Now if he had his time to choose, I am sure he would say hed rather have the AOTY year after he stopped playing - but he didn't give himself the award.

Did you even bother to read my post before you went of on another finger pointing rant?

If you had have bother to, you would have read where I said it was APPROPRIATE to use AotY to be political.

Sheesh, Con are you deliberately being provocative and abusive for fun or is this your actual persona?????????

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did you even bother to read my post before you went of on another finger pointing rant?

If you had have bother to, you would have read where I said it was APPROPRIATE to use AotY to be political.

Sheesh, Con are you deliberately being provocative and abusive for fun or is this your actual persona?????????
I was just replying/agreeing to p66 and it was hardly a rant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Goodes is now having a few days off. Obviously really effecting him. And he isn't a sook IMO for doing that because none of us know how he is feeling.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Noone says you have to love him or agree with everything he says. In fact you can dislike him all you like. Just dont boo him when you know there is at least some racist element to it. Even if that element is only 20%. Why join in?
No you have entirely missed the point. Francis Leach, Gerard Whately, Mark Robinson, Caroline Wilson all have proclaimed that booing Goodes is racist, no ifs, no buts, just racist.

Next we will get asked - whose side are you on.

This is Pravda like groupthink to push an agenda and to vilify the people who own the game - the fans.

The Sydney chairman has proclaimed EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO BOOES GOODES A RACIST - NO IFS NO BUTS.

This is the point, they are attempting social engineering by making up absolutist lies.

it is becoming almost cult of personality, borg like mindset where any other thought or argument is just shouted down as RACIST.

So Con when we play Sydney in R22 and Goodes belts someone in back play and gets booed, according to the Sydney chairman, we are all racist. If we cheer when he misses a goal, it is obviously directed at belittling his race and therefore racist. If he get beaten by one of our players in a marking contest and we cheer, it is obviously a slight against Goodes's aboriganility so we are all racist.

Will be great to watch football in abject silence just in case old Goodsey deems something done is racist.

Well done we are all cowed by the hectoring and bully boy tactics of the screaming hysterics in the commentariat and their compliant automatons

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Goodes is now having a few days off. Obviously really effecting him. And he isn't a sook IMO for doing that because none of us know how he is feeling.
True. Most of us are lucky enough not to be born black in this country, to be vilified and racially abused almost every day. This is the sad lot of some minorities in the community. Nobody denies there is racism and any rational feeling person understands and applaudes efforts to stamp it out.

In saying that, Goodes should not have used our game for his political purposes. He knows that there would be a backlash, especially inciting the crowd with an aggressive violent war dance.

he should retire immediately before he does any more damage to our game.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

No you have entirely missed the point. Francis Leach, Gerard Whately, Mark Robinson, Caroline Wilson all have proclaimed that booing Goodes is racist, no ifs, no buts, just racist.

Next we will get asked - whose side are you on.

This is Pravda like groupthink to push an agenda and to vilify the people who own the game - the fans.

The Sydney chairman has proclaimed EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO BOOES GOODES A RACIST - NO IFS NO BUTS.

This is the point, they are attempting social engineering by making up absolutist lies.

it is becoming almost cult of personality, borg like mindset where any other thought or argument is just shouted down as RACIST.

So Con when we play Sydney in R22 and Goodes belts someone in back play and gets booed, according to the Sydney chairman, we are all racist. If we cheer when he misses a goal, it is obviously directed at belittling his race and therefore racist. If he get beaten by one of our players in a marking contest and we cheer, it is obviously a slight against Goodes's aboriganility so we are all racist.

Will be great to watch football in abject silence just in case old Goodsey deems something done is racist.

Well done we are all cowed by the hectoring and bully boy tactics of the screaming hysterics in the commentariat and their compliant automatons
See there you go - making up something about him belting someone in Rd 22 to justify your stance - 8 weeks before the game.
Do you have a time machine? What a nonsense argument.

He has been booed the last 12 months. That is what is being discussed here. Dont pretend otherwise. You arent that stupid surely? I also think you will find I defended Goodesy on SS year last year and the one before - way way before any of those people you mentioned came out.

As for making out you are an 'independent thinker' and trying to reverse the argument . Well that is just pathetic. You sound like a KKK member trying to say 'down with the politically correct government and their group think.'If I want to call someone an N I can do it!' Just because you have a few KKK mob mates cheering you on is no reason for you to claim self-righteous status.

As I stated before. Lets be practical. Even if only 20% of booers do it for racist reasons, then why join in?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 5:04pm, edited 6 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Goodes is now having a few days off. Obviously really effecting him. And he isn't a sook IMO for doing that because none of us know how he is feeling.
True. Most of us are lucky enough not to be born black in this country, to be vilified and racially abused almost every day. This is the lot of some minorities in the community.

In saying that, Goodes should not have used our game for his political purposes. He knows that there would be a backlash, especially inciting the crowd with an aggressive violent war dance.

he should retire immediately before he does any more damage to our game.

He should retire when he wants too and not because some think a person just playing the game is damaging it. As for the war dance I would suggest he had just had enough of the booing and did it and it was also indigenous round. Why aren't you having a go Jetta for his dance the other night?