Booing goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Booing goodes

thejiggingsaint wrote:I believe booing anyone is simply a waste of energy at the best of times. This "booing" however, is palpably different to what has gone before, and quite frankly (IMHO) has been ugly. My opinion, don't have to agree with me, just how I see it.
Booing is always boorish. I don't do it and tell my kids not too also but that don't mean all those who do it are racists or have to stop cause poor old Adams gonna retire?????
seriously any form of differing opinion to the 'racist tide' is howled down as racist......that type of quashing of freedom of expression is exactly what Hitler was proud of.

There are racists in the world. Some boo
There are people who boo who are not racists
Lets not start labelling EVERYONE cause that's just sending us down a dangerous path and IMO actually weakens the anti racism stance.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
NOTTHATAWKWARD wrote:Even if for some reason, you don't believe this is racist. This issue has clearly caused the man a lot of stress and psychological harm, even if you don't think its racist, he has a problem with with being booed by thousands of people week in week out. Its probably not a very nice thing to go to work and face harassment on such a large scale. He's never done anything particularly bad to our club. Why continue this cycle of bullying and drag our club's name down with it when the rest of the AFL is just waiting to jump down our throats after cleaning up our act in the past few seasons.
cmon wake up

stand in front og the Collingwood cheer squad as they told Stephen milne in front of his family he was a rapist? then their coach said is FFS or Tigers or Cats for that matter...
People have booed at the footy since dawn of time - some probably were/are racist. What I object to is cause 'poor Adam' is a tad upset we are all suddenly racists and must immediately desist ????

Milne must be laughing.
If the person being booed believes it to be racially motivated, and people continue doing it knowing this, guess what.

1ac46a38
mullet
Saintsational Legend

NOTTHATAWKWARD wrote:Even if for some reason, you don't believe this is racist. This issue has clearly caused the man a lot of stress and psychological harm, even if you don't think its racist, he has a problem with with being booed by thousands of people week in week out. Its probably not a very nice thing to go to work and face harassment on such a large scale. He's never done anything particularly bad to our club. Why continue this cycle of bullying and drag our club's name down with it when the rest of the AFL is just waiting to jump down our throats after cleaning up our act in the past few seasons.
Yes it is bullying, and I donot believe that people are booing him because of his race.
People genuinely don't like the guy. If he wasn't aboriginal, nothing would happen, and he may have just been a hated player that gets booed like Stephen milne.
Adam is the one who said the booing was racist.
I believe most people boo because they don't like being told that they cant and that they are racist if they do. Perhaps they are insulted.
Constantly booing a person is just ridiculous and probably bullying.
I find it very interesting that Michael Long has given no opinion on the matter.
I still don't understand why he has never done his goal celebration again. He has been told by the AFL that its fine. If he was so passionate about it, why doesn't he
do it all the time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

stand in front og the Collingwood cheer squad as they told Stephen milne in front of his family he was a rapist? then their coach said is FFS or Tigers or Cats for that matter...
People have booed at the footy since dawn of time - some probably were/are racist. What I object to is cause 'poor Adam' is a tad upset we are all suddenly racists and must immediately desist ????

Milne must be laughing.
If the person being booed believes it to be racially motivated, and people continue doing it knowing this, guess what.
Then that person needs to be re educated.
Because I believe all women are bad drivers doesn't make it so

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

I heard very little, and most of that seemed to be play related.. no one around me booed him at all.

But I thought the initial issue was excessive booing? Now it's any booing? Who decided that?

Alas, the problem with starting off on a witch hunt is that innocent people end up getting burned too, and now as Saints fans we're all implicated and guilty... perhaps the whole code, and country, even.

I just don't see how the idiots who booed are necessarily any bigger idiots than the ones branding everyone racist... or why I should feel ashamed because some knuckle dragger who also follows the saints booed someone when they apparently weren't supposed to.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I said, my opinion, I'm sure many of the Collingwood fans who gave Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam such a hard time, felt that they were entitled to THEIR point of view. I heard stuff around me today directed toward Goodes that made me sick.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
mullet
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
Like the guy in America who shot the television reporter? He believed her comments to be racially motivated so he shot her. Was he right

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I heard very little, and most of that seemed to be play related.. no one around me booed him at all.

But I thought the initial issue was excessive booing? Now it's any booing? Who decided that?

Alas, the problem with starting off on a witch hunt is that innocent people end up getting burned too, and now as Saints fans we're all implicated and guilty... perhaps the whole code, and country, even.

I just don't see how the idiots who booed are necessarily any bigger idiots than the ones branding everyone racist... or why I should feel ashamed because some knuckle dragger who also follows the saints booed someone when they apparently weren't supposed to.
And this is the dangerous problem
ALL are now branded racist who boo when that's simply rubbish and not true
I believe people who are not racist are offended by the notion of being 'labelled' one cause Goodes doesn't like it.
Nanny state here we come.

“Yeah….nah””
saint-stu
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
So he has it all wrong does he? We should educate him that calling him an ape isn't racist too I guess?

1ac46a38
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I said, waste of energy to boo an opponent
Last edited by thejiggingsaint on Sun 30 Aug 2015 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:As I said, my opinion, I'm sure many of the Collingwood fans who gave Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam such a hard time, felt that they were entitled to THEIR point of view. I heard stuff around me today directed toward Goodes that made me sick.
HEARING racist comments and labelling anyone who boos a racist aren't the same thing
Are you saying anyone who boos is racist??

“Yeah….nah””
saint-stu
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
markp wrote:I heard very little, and most of that seemed to be play related.. no one around me booed him at all.

I believe people who are not racist are offended by the notion of being 'labelled' one cause Goodes doesn't like it.
You're allowed to boo. It's not against the law. People will think you're racist now if you boo Goodes. Poor booers.

1ac46a38
NOTTHATAWKWARD
Club Player

I suggest people take a moment to look at Peter Greste's story right now or any freedom of speech injustice that is happening in a failed state right now around the globe before feeling the need to claim this as their freedom of speech injustice, or the rise of the nanny state through a system of totalitarian PC mind control, or comparing opposing what someone considers to be racial vilification to f****** hitlerism. You've got your right to boo, enjoy it, just know that the rest of society thinks your a f***wit for it in this case.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I have a suspicion that most people know damn well what I'm saying, and that is that booing any opponent (IMHO) is a waste of energy that should be used in supporting our OWN side. Having said that, I'm not about to criticise anyone for expressing their feelings about incidents during a game through booing, however, this particular phenomenon has taken on an ugly life of its own, and (IMHO) casts a dark shadow on the game, and its supporters. Folk are entitled to think differently to me, but I know what I believe.

markp
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:

You're allowed to boo. It's not against the law. People will think you're racist now if you boo Goodes. Poor booers.
No, people will think you're a racist now if you support the saints, that includes you.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
I thought everyone was equal. But you are saying that a person can say its racially motivated and not have to prove a thing. That doesn't seem very fair to me. To me that seems like someone can just pull the racial thing to suit their argument even if there is no fact. I have come across this in sport before where someone doesn't follow the rules, but when they are bought to task over it , they say that its racist. Nick Kyrios's brother comes to mind too.

saint-stu
Club Player

mullet wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
I thought everyone was equal. But you are saying that a person can say its racially motivated and not have to prove a thing. That doesn't seem very fair to me. To me that seems like someone can just pull the racial thing to suit their argument even if there is no fact. I have come across this in sport before where someone doesn't follow the rules, but when they are bought to task over it , they say that its racist. Nick Kyrios's brother comes to mind too.
No I don't think people have to "prove" that it's racist.

1ac46a38
mullet
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
mullet wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
yep lets not let fact get in the way of a good story

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

NOTTHATAWKWARD wrote:I suggest people take a moment to look at Peter Greste's story right now or any freedom of speech injustice that is happening in a failed state right now around the globe before feeling the need to claim this as their freedom of speech injustice, or the rise of the nanny state through a system of totalitarian PC mind control, or comparing opposing what someone considers to be racial vilification to f****** hitlerism. You've got your right to boo, enjoy it, just know that the rest of society thinks your a f***wit for it in this case.
Therein lies the f***ed logic of that argument
...'You've got the right to boo but don't mind if we decide to label you all because of it anyway?????
Isnt that the labelling you sorry ass clowns are whingeing about in the first place?????
See the hypocrisy??????
Doubt it cause that wont suit your PC rants.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
So he has it all wrong does he? We should educate him that calling him an ape isn't racist too I guess?
so booing is now the same as calling someone an ape is it????????
that's what shytes me about do-gooding PC ranters - when one argument is shown to be weak as p!ss they reach for some stronger stuff (knowing full well that's not even the topic here)
Learn to separate booing from an actual racist comment cause there is a difference - don't twist things to attempt to support a flimsy argument it does you a disservice.

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was at a family function and heard it on the radio. Well f%$#en done Saints. What an embarrassment, we have a proud history of having indigenous talent, this would be pretty hard for some of our ex players to stomach. Could cost guys like Bennell coming over even.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
mullet wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
So Kyrgios brother had it right when he tried the race card to?
when in doubt just throw out the race card and ignore any facts is that really what youre saying?????????
Geezus.

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

At the end of the day if a woman at work asked you to stop calling her sexist names you would stop. You would also be extra careful not to say anything that could be misconstrued as sexist. Goodes might be over sensitive but so is the media looking for it now and the people who did it made us look like a pack of f$#@ sticks again. The club has improved its off field issues only for the fans to take up the slack.

saint-stu
Club Player

mullet wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
mullet wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Teflon wrote:
cmon wake up

Milne must be laughing.
yep lets not let fact get in the way of a good story
In discussions about the definition of racism, white people will frequently argue that a particular statement or action doesn't constitute racism because racism wasn't intended. As noted elsewhere, in Human Rights law and anti-racism education, intentionality is irrelevant. It is the effect/impact of the action on the target person/group that is to be considered and takes precedence.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/cared/intention

1ac46a38