Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert

We only have 2 wins, and there has been no real standout player for us- maybe Roo. If we had more consistency across the field, then we may have well had more wins. Gilbert is getting his hands on the ball and trying hard, but apart from last game isn't to having much influence with what he does with the ball, though he always puts in 100%.
If anything I think Hickey has taken the biggest step of all the group. Sinclair is showing great things and Seb is coming along slowly and has been reasonably consistent.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Bloody hell, too many people are quick to think he's the second coming just because he wears our colours. I think Gilbo has some really good qualities - but does that mean we can't discuss the things that have stopped him from becoming a really top defender?

He's so unreliable when in possession and is a turnover king. That's not in direct turnovers; more just failing to hit easy targets or putting teammates under pressure.

That faux-sidestep gives me heart palpitations. Not only is it insanely ineffective, but it often unbalances him and forces him to kick when he's not in total control. And trust me, he needs every inch of control drop the ball to his foot.

I'd rather have him in the team than not, but I was stunned to hear Richo's claim he was our best player. Riewoldt was on another planet. It reminds me a little of how Ross Lyon used to stick up for Raph Clarke; no matter how many mistakes caused goals (1-2 each week), it didn't bother Lyon one bit.

Gilbert remains in the best 22 for now but my gut feeling is that we could probably use his significant salary space more effectively by sending him to Gold Coast (most logical fit - they need his experience and he's from the area) for their second round pick.

While we do indeed need defenders going forward, he plays nothing like his 194cm height, and I'd rather draft a really solid defensive prospect going forward (an equivalent to Kieran Collins, who went at pick 26 last year).

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He is very clean and strong with the ball except when he shanks a few. Sometimes tries to run with it too far.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sam Gilbert has been a very serviceable player over his career. In fact, I'd go as far as saying he's a player. Always puts his body on the line. He is capable of a lot of good things. His biggest weakness, however, has been his uncanny brain-freezes, which lead to poor decision making and/or disposal of the football. It's a shame because he can read the play fluently and has little problem getting the ball. He has good instincts. It's just when he gets the ball in a critical situation, he'll be susceptible to making a bad error. It's almost as though he becomes a deer in the headlights. It's all psychological. Makes you wonder if he's having one on one sessions with a good sports psychologist. I hope he has been working on it.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Could his replacement already be at our Club?
Dylan Roberton

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:Bloody hell, too many people are quick to think he's the second coming just because he wears our colours. I think Gilbo has some really good qualities - but does that mean we can't discuss the things that have stopped him from becoming a really top defender?

He's so unreliable when in possession and is a turnover king. That's not in direct turnovers; more just failing to hit easy targets or putting teammates under pressure.

That faux-sidestep gives me heart palpitations. Not only is it insanely ineffective, but it often unbalances him and forces him to kick when he's not in total control. And trust me, he needs every inch of control drop the ball to his foot.

I'd rather have him in the team than not, but I was stunned to hear Richo's claim he was our best player. Riewoldt was on another planet. It reminds me a little of how Ross Lyon used to stick up for Raph Clarke; no matter how many mistakes caused goals (1-2 each week), it didn't bother Lyon one bit.

Gilbert remains in the best 22 for now but my gut feeling is that we could probably use his significant salary space more effectively by sending him to Gold Coast (most logical fit - they need his experience and he's from the area) for their second round pick.

While we do indeed need defenders going forward, he plays nothing like his 194cm height, and I'd rather draft a really solid defensive prospect going forward (an equivalent to Kieran Collins, who went at pick 26 last year).
Raph caused 1-2 goals each week did he? Gee whiz there's nothing like a good old dose of exaggeration to support an argument.

Maybe Richo & Ross are a little closer to & better judges of a player's performance than us in the outer?

Not sure how Gilbo's sidestep is ineffective... he still had North players going the wrong way which allowed him to get out of trouble numerous times (got caught once but got the handball away).

I may be wrong but it looked to me like the 194cm of Gilbo did alright on the 200cm Brown on the weekend.

Gilbo was fantastic on the weekend & outside of a shocker against GWS has been very good playing further up the ground. Unfortunately he's a whipping boy & some supporters are simply blind to the the important role he is currently playing (until Dmac, White, etc are ready to go). As for trading him the GC, well the only issue with that is whether GC want to trade a early 2nd round pick for what will be a 30 year old.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Could his replacement already be at our Club?
Dylan Roberton
How has Robo's injury recovery been going?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Just watched the replay. Gilbert was exceptionally good in often really heated circumstances virtually all game. I can see why Richo rated it highly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:richo summed it up well on the coach last night, acceptable 1 time mistake!!!!!

Good enough explaination for me Coach!!!!!
To make a mistake is human to repeat it is unforgiveable

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Raph caused 1-2 goals each week did he? Gee whiz there's nothing like a good old dose of exaggeration to support an argument.
That's when he did get the ball. The weeks he didn't we were when he didn't get the ball.

And trust me, I gave Raph every chance, unlike most (still a huge fan of his 2005 year, the player he could have been before injuries and confidence killed him).
Maybe Richo & Ross are a little closer to & better judges of a player's performance than us in the outer?
Raph Clarke was delisted, just to clarify. And not picked up. Not even by Ross at Freo.
Not sure how Gilbo's sidestep is ineffective... he still had North players going the wrong way which allowed him to get out of trouble numerous times (got caught once but got the handball away).
Watching the replay, it struck me how times he used the sidestep when there were better options available.

Rather than trying to beat his man, if he had fired off a handball to a free player, he could have then run around his man into space for the receive and done what he does best - run in a straight line and then delivered the ball up the field.

He played a good game, and has had a decent career, but I think he could have been a top player with his aerobic capacity and general mobility, which are both elite.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is much better overhead than Roberton

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:As a midfielder he is really up and down. When the team is up and firing he seems to do well but when the chips are down he looks ordinary. I guess he gives us a bigger body in the midfield we are lacking but I don't know if that is enough any more. With Goddar, ACres, Gresham, Freeman, White, Rice, Dmac all coming through, the pressure is rising on gangly Gilbo
White Rice Freeman and Dmac arent putting any pressure on Gresham let alone Sam Gilbert. Lets be real.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Tough day for Gilbo today...

Felt a bit for him, actually.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

6 disposals. Cant remember him even doing a decent spoil or tackle. Atrocious game. A protected species on here.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Possibly his worst ever game

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I wonder what this game will do for Gilbo in Richo's eyes. To get smashed by Kennedy, but then to not work your backside off to redeem yourself as a senior player when the game was going to s***, I think will be a huge black mark against him from Richo. He may find himself out of Richo's good books, and then possibly out of the team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:6 disposals. Cant remember him even doing a decent spoil or tackle. Atrocious game. A protected species on here.
While terrible today, he has actually been good this year.

He clearly is not a KPD. But has been a good utility this year whether in the midfield or on th back flanks or running forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Possibly his worst ever game

Off the top of my head I cannot recall a worse one.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Reckon his so-called versatility is actually the problem; he hasn't ever nailed down a position and mastered it as his own. Hence the desire to throw him forward or run him through the midfield.

He's a big risk without two big defenders by his side. Which begs the question - did we cut Gwilt a bit too soon?

Ironically, Gilbert (Height:194 cm, Weight:92 kg) is much taller than Gwilt (Height:188 cm Weight:96 kg), yet he lacks all the power of Gwilt.

Gwilt is eight days older than Gilbert, yet was cut for being not part of the future (despite being in our top 10 B&F that same year).

Statistical breakdown in 2016.

Gwilt: 20.14 disposals in seven games.
Gilbert: 17.13 disposals in eight games.

Not saying - at all - that Gwilt was some sort of brilliant defender, but I always reckoned he was more than serviceable, and wasn't really a list clogger given his age. He's still only 29.

I do wonder if Gwilt's future was tied to the arrival Luke Delaney, and our subsequent expectations of him. Had Delaney stepped up, he'd have really helped Gilbert.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: He's a big risk without two big defenders by his side. Which begs the question - did we cut Gwilt a bit too soon?

No. Gwilt is not a KD either and we have many options for the back flanks.

To the top
SS Life Member

Gwilt's final two seasons at St Kilda after his knee surgery were shockers - confirmed when we played Essendon last season.

A 188 cm KPP!!!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Gwilt's final two seasons at St Kilda after his knee surgery were shockers - confirmed when we played Essendon last season.

A 188 cm KPP!!!!
(Max was 191cm - and three kilos lighter. Just saying...)

Not saying at all that Gwilt was a gun KPP, but he did have a reasonable body presence due to his extra bulk, which helped him handle the contest better than Gilbert.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
BigMart wrote:Possibly his worst ever game

Off the top of my head I cannot recall a worse one.
Short memories you guys have. Try Rd 2 2016 where he played as an unaccountable midfielder and managed only 7 disposals and 5 clangers!
Rd 2 WB No impact on a dirty night at the office. 3
Also try Rd 3 2014
Rd 1 GCS A horror night was topped off when he went to Ablett. 2
or 2012 when he started his slide in to mediocrity:
Rd
10 Rich Conceded five goals in first half. Spent time in the ruck late. VFL-bound. 2
5 Melb Struggled with only one kick in first half, but chipped in a bit at the end. 3
6 Haw Sluggish display from a key player for Saints. 3
See for yourselves:

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... am-GILBERT

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Absolute god darn joke.

5 disposals in a game in Rd 2 as a midfielder. 6 last week.

3 until half time this week playing as an unaccountable midfielder.

His only contribution has been giving away a 50. Absolute protected species on here.

Cue the BS excuses from the delusional fan-bois who still think it is 2010 and that he is any good.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We get it Sonny - you don't like Gilbert

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!