Free kick count Approved

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free kick count Approved

Saints43 wrote:
st.byron wrote:Interesting to read in the Richo on 360 thread that he reckons it's not the frees that are paid paid, it's the ones that aren't paid against the Weagles because of the crowd influence.

He calls it the "noise of affirmation" and thinks it influences the upmires directly. No doubt in my mind. The free kick count at Subiaco has been ludicrous for years.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-0 ... ffirmation
So why don't we get the same result when we play interstate teams at Docklands? It must be something more than that...
Have you been to a Weagles home game at Subiaco? It's a different planet to a game at Etihad. The WCE fans are the most parochial one eyed lot I've ever known.

They have been brainwashed with a daily diet of the "Eastern States vs us" since they were kids. The local rag "The West" is the primary cheerleader and the local media play along. Even the ABC.

There are, I would make a guess, practically zero neutral fans at their games. The whole crowd is almost always in a one eyed frenzy for them.. And the ground is practically always full.. That's a different beast to the Saints playing Brissy at Etihad with half the ground or more empty and a percentage of neutral fans there. There's something much more intimidating and powerful about a full arena, particularly when the crowd is almost unanimously barracking for one team. The Weagles are the beneficiaries of that every second week. When the opposition team scores a goal there is pretty much silence. Zip.

I despise the Weagles, primarily because of their blind parochialism. I lived there for ten years and plenty of times at work over lunch in the staff room I'd hear things from their fans that would just make you shake your head. Ridiculous stuff that they actually genuinely believed. It's brainwashed into them and they, especially those who've lived there their whole lives, don't know any different. That brainwashing is reflected in the way their crowd behaves. There are 9 teams in Melbourne and that diversity exposes fans to the fans of other teams. Consider this........most West Coast fans, who live in Perth year in year out and go the footy every second week - they only know the experience of going to a game with a packed house almost entirely in their favour. They have no experience of going to a game with an equal amount of fans supporting the opposition, like say Saints vs Duggies at Etihad where even if it's a home game for us, half the crows will be Druggies' fans. They only know being part of a loud, uber parochial, unanimously on their side crowd of Eastern States haters.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
st.byron wrote:Interesting to read in the Richo on 360 thread that he reckons it's not the frees that are paid paid, it's the ones that aren't paid against the Weagles because of the crowd influence.

He calls it the "noise of affirmation" and thinks it influences the upmires directly. No doubt in my mind. The free kick count at Subiaco has been ludicrous for years.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-0 ... ffirmation
So why don't we get the same result when we play interstate teams at Docklands? It must be something more than that...
Have you been to a Weagles home game at Subiaco? It's a different planet to a game at Etihad. The WCE fans are the most parochial one eyed lot I've ever known.

They have been brainwashed with a daily diet of the "Eastern States vs us" since they were kids. The local rag "The West" is the primary cheerleader and the local media play along. Even the ABC.

There are, I would make a guess, practically zero neutral fans at their games. The whole crowd is almost always in a one eyed frenzy for them.. And the ground is practically always full.. That's a different beast to the Saints playing Brissy at Etihad with half the ground or more empty. There's something much more intimidating and powerful about a full arena, particularly when the crowd is almost unanimously barracking for one team. The Weagles are the beneficiaries of that every second week. When the opposition team scores a goal there is pretty much silence. Zip.

I despise the Weagles, primarily because of their blind parochialism. I lived there for ten years and plenty of times at work over lunch in the staff room I'd hear things from their fans that would just make you shake your head. Ridiculous stuff that they actually genuinely believed. It's brainwashed into them and they, especially those who've lived there their whole lives, don't know any different. That brainwashing is reflected in the way their crowd behaves.
Agree whole heartedly.
I also lived in Perth for a few years.
A unique (and cringe worthy) experience going to a Weagles game over there.
St Byron is spot on with his description The vast majority over there all think there is some grand 'over east' conspiracy against them. The West stirs this up and they all get in to it. Only a small minority who have lived in Perth and Melbourne and returned know this to be nonsense. But that is 1/50 people. The other 49/50 are isoloated, provincial, parochial and very paranoid.
A Weagles game is a unique and unpleasant experience.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Agree whole heartedly.
St Byron is spot on with his description The vast majority over there all think there is some grand 'over east' conspiracy against them. The West stirs this up and they all get in to it. Only a small minority who have lived in Perth and Melbourne and returned know this to be nonsense. But that is 1/50 people. The other 49/50 are isoloated, provincial, parochial and very paranoid.

Glad to know it's not just me that feels that way about the Weagles' fans.

They're appalling and as Con says, if they've never lived out of Perth they only know that reality. I sat in the staff room one lunchtime and listened to a woman whose husband was a trainer at WCE tell me straight faced that the Weagles should play 16 games a year at Subiaco because it's so unfair that they have to travel every second week. They should only travel as much as the other teams. When I pointed out to her the massive advantage they have playing half their games in front of an uber parochial full house, she just looked blank. She grew up in Bicton, worked in Freo and had only ever lived in Perth. Never been to a game outside Perth. She couldn't understand what I was talking about. She thought every team had all their home games like that. Then another Weagles fan chipped in with, "Yes but the umpires are against us at home, not like the other teams". What can you do with that when someone totally believes it....

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Agree whole heartedly.

Glad to know it's not just me that feels that way about the Weagles' fans.

They're appalling and as Con says, if they've never lived out of Perth they only know that reality. I sat in the staff room one lunchtime and listened to a woman whose husband was a trainer at WCE tell me straight faced that the Weagles should play 16 games a year at Subiaco because it's so unfair that they have to travel every second week. They should only travel as much as the other teams. When I pointed out to her the massive advantage they have playing half their games in front of an uber parochial full house, she just looked blank. She grew up in Bicton, worked in Freo and had only ever lived in Perth. Never been to a game outside Perth. She couldn't understand what I was talking about. She thought every team had all their home games like that. Then another Weagles fan chipped in with, "Yes but the umpires are against us at home, not like the other teams". What can you do with that when someone totally believes it....
Moved to Perth in 1997, after having been born in, and lived in, Melbourne, until then.
100% agree with you.
I really really really despise the Perth folk with their "West vs Eastern States" stupidity.
That lady you mention, is so typical of a WCE fan, they are all the same, like clones.

A young bloke I worked with for a few years, was a WCE member and invited me to a Saints game because his girlfriend was unable to use her seat, and I never ever went with him again.
He changed from Dr Jekyll at work to the evil and psychotic Mr Hyde.
I wasn't allowed to cheer for a goal by my team. He continually bagged every Saints player that got the ball, but if I had the gall to dispute a Weagles free, he went off his tits.

Perth folk are not normal, they have ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) with some elements of sociopathy and psychosis.
Disgusting vomit stain on the planet, are Perth folk.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Moved to Perth in 1997, after having been born in, and lived in, Melbourne, until then.
100% agree with you.
I really really really despise the Perth folk with their "West vs Eastern States" stupidity.
That lady you mention, is so typical of a WCE fan, they are all the same, like clones.

A young bloke I worked with for a few years, was a WCE member and invited me to a Saints game because his girlfriend was unable to use her seat, and I never ever went with him again.
He changed from Dr Jekyll at work to the evil and psychotic Mr Hyde.
I wasn't allowed to cheer for a goal by my team. He continually bagged every Saints player that got the ball, but if I had the gall to dispute a Weagles free, he went off his tits.

Perth folk are not normal, they have ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) with some elements of sociopathy and psychosis.
Disgusting vomit stain on the planet, are Perth folk.

Think that's a little harsh. I do have some good friends in Perth.

But yup, the footy supporters are a breed apart - and that fishbowl narrow mindedness is what I reckon I fuels the atmosphere at Subiaco. A lot of it is to do with geography I reckon. The most remote large city on the planet.

I had two stints in Perth. The second included the height of the Cousins / Judd / Kerr / Worsfold era when they won the 2006 flag. Worsfold, by the way is my least favourite person in football. They were collectively unbearable during that time. Gloating, arrogant, ignorant small town mentality fishbowl dwellers.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I don't like complaining about umpiring, but what I witnessed on Saturday was close to the most disgracefully biased performance I've seen. If I was a betting man, I'd be writing to HQ demanding an explanation. Anyone who puts that loss down to poor kicking and not the umpiring knows nothing about the game. We were screwed over. It's been happening over there for years. Over the past five years the free kick count is 151-54 against us. That is not an anomaly, that is an identifiable trend.

A couple of strokers on here will tell you it doesn't matter. Well, it does. We didn't get at least a dozen we should have and they got several bewildering ones. Changes the momentum. Kept them in it when we were all over them early. Anyone who tells you that umpiring doesn't effect the outcome of games, knows nothing about the game itself. Remember Hawthorn last year? The Goldstein decision? Both games resulted in losses that, if reversed, would've seen us in the finals. And then what? We were running hot. Bulldogs anyone?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Just to throw the cat amongst the wigeons here - I am the first to admit that we benefitted from a goal that Bruce kicked that bounced of a West Coast players face, however, the umpires have reviewed the game, right, and all decisions were correct, right?????

I am at a loss - we need the umpires board to say that the review was conducted and:

23 WC frees - 22 were correct
8 STK frees - 6 were correct

10 WC frees missed
12 STK frees missed

Admission of being less than perfect is not a crime, denying there is a problem is an issue.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!