Richardson to stay on as coach 'if we keep improving': Lethlean

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richardson to stay on as coach 'if we keep improving': Lethlean

tony74 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 7:17pm There’s is no doubt that AR will be gone. No doubt. I know who they want but I’m pretty sure they won’t get him. So for what I hear it’s out of three- Scott, Knights, or Harves.
You came on here repeatedly backing Richo last year. I see that you have consistently remained neutral this year

Why didn't the club make a decision on Richo middle of last year when it was abundantly clear at 1 win, 1 draw, and 11 losses that he had no future?

If the Saints board and CEO had done the right thing middle of last year when Richo had failed to take us forward after 5 years at the helm, then this footy club would have had the chance to do a deal with Al Clarkson. Alastair Clarkson didn't sign on with Hawthorn until late 2018.

Once the Saints board had realsied that it was a mistake to back stability over club ambition they should have had the courage to go against the AFL advice and should have mortgaged the club on a premiership winning tried and true winner.

When you weigh up the the financial losses due to membership numbers, low crowds, the financial losses due to marketing opportunities/merchandise etc.. then who gives a toss about paying out Richo. The costs to the playing group and player development could set us back another 5 years and the cost to our brand and potential cost of attracting FA's and good recruits that are out of contract, were not properly assessed in my opinion. Either that or the AFL and our directors are conspiring to send us to Tasmania

Crossy66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 10:51pm
tony74 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 7:17pm There’s is no doubt that AR will be gone. No doubt. I know who they want but I’m pretty sure they won’t get him. So for what I hear it’s out of three- Scott, Knights, or Harves.
You came on here repeatedly backing Richo last year. I see that you have consistently remained neutral this year

Why didn't the club make a decision on Richo middle of last year when it was abundantly clear at 1 win, 1 draw, and 11 losses that he had no future?

If the Saints board and CEO had done the right thing middle of last year when Richo had failed to take us forward after 5 years at the helm, then this footy club would have had the chance to do a deal with Al Clarkson. Alastair Clarkson didn't sign on with Hawthorn until late 2018.

Once the Saints board had realsied that it was a mistake to back stability over club ambition they should have had the courage to go against the AFL advice and should have mortgaged the club on a premiership winning tried and true winner.

When you weigh up the the financial losses due to membership numbers, low crowds, the financial losses due to marketing opportunities/merchandise etc.. then who gives a toss about paying out Richo. The costs to the playing group and player development could set us back another 5 years and the cost to our brand and potential cost of attracting FA's and good recruits that are out of contract, were not properly assessed in my opinion. Either that or the AFL and our directors are conspiring to send us to Tasmania
I would be surprised if the financial implications weren't considered. I would be equally surprised if Clarkson would have entertained the Saints

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We should have entertained the option and if we didn't we are incompetent. Incompetent people think they doing their best. I get that. The CEO and board are just as much responsible for where this club sits after 6 years with the same head coach as much as the head coach himself

Crossy66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 11:26pm We should have entertained the option and if we didn't we are incompetent. Incompetent people think they doing their best. I get that. The CEO and board are just as much responsible for where this club sits after 6 years with the same head coach as much as the head coach himself
We were likely hamstrung by the much discussed direction we took with the pelchan model in the expansion club era. I feel that Bassat and Lethlean are on the right track now, under tight scrutiny from HQ. The list, with the addition of a couple of A graders could turn things around quickly. The next 2 weeks will likely decide the coaching situation imho

Ape_Man
Club Player

Richardson to stay on as coach 'if we keep improving': Lethlean

Scollop wrote:We should have entertained the option and if we didn't we are incompetent. Incompetent people think they doing their best. I get that. The CEO and board are just as much responsible for where this club sits after 6 years with the same head coach as much as the head coach himself
It’s a good point and, after some thought, think that they made the correct decision to see out Richo’s contract. Or hit the trigger, or whatever is in the deal.

Here are some of my thoughts.

A year ago it could have cost us a fortune. The club is not in a position to throw money away.

The boffins knew we weren’t in any position to push for serious finals. Even if there was elite coaching talent available it was going to be a year without results.

Add those together and you have an enormous financial commitment. Of which real gain is going to be minimal unless you get a Clarkson.

So they do the next best thing, bring in some serious support. Assistants are usually tied to a head coaches contract, so you have a chance to see what can develop internally. If it all goes wrong you have a ready made back up, or a chance to reset.

If that move works, you’re all geniuses. If it doesn’t you buy yourself some time to see options unfold.

I think the options, right now, are better than a year ago.

That’s a scenario I can see anyway.

ss1986
Club Player

Ape_Man wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 11:48pm
Scollop wrote:We should have entertained the option and if we didn't we are incompetent. Incompetent people think they doing their best. I get that. The CEO and board are just as much responsible for where this club sits after 6 years with the same head coach as much as the head coach himself
It’s a good point and, after some thought, think that they made the correct decision to see out Richo’s contract. Or hit the trigger, or whatever is in the deal.

A year ago it could have cost us a fortune. The club is not in a position to throw money away.

The boffins knew we weren’t in any position to push for serious finals. Even if there was elite coaching talent available it was going to be a year without results.

Add those together and you have an enormous financial commitment. Of which real gain is going to be minimal unless you get a Clarkson.

So they do the next best thing, bring in some serious support. Assistants are usually tied to a head coaches contract, so you have a chance to see what can develop internally. If it all goes wrong you have a ready made back up, or a chance to reset.

If that move works, you’re all geniuses. If it doesn’t you buy yourself some time to see options unfold.

So how does Finnis walk away from this absolute clusterf*ck untouched?

He is the luckiest man at St.Kilda and I hold him responsible for where this club is at at this minute.

Contrary to popular belief, I actually feel sorry for Alan Richardson being put in this situation. It should all be on Finnis.... except seemingly, it’s not.

Ape_Man
Club Player

ss1986 wrote:

He is the luckiest man at St.Kilda and I hold him responsible for where this club is at at this minute.

Contrary to popular belief, I actually feel sorry for Alan Richardson being put in this situation. It should all be on Finnis.... except seemingly, it’s not.
Another good point, but this thread is about Richo. So that’s what I posted about.

Finnis has plenty to answer for, but he’s not the current coach.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Tue 25 Jun 2019 12:00am

Very good question

“Yeah….nah””
lefty
Club Player

I really do hope and pray that Rob Harvey becomes our coach, he's done his apprenticeship, time to bring him home.

We need someone with heart for this club and I'd take a bullet for that bloke. It's his time, we need to rejuvenate the players and start fresh next season, continuing with AR isn't working.

saintadamski
Club Player

lefty wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 1:58am I really do hope and pray that Rob Harvey becomes our coach, he's done his apprenticeship, time to bring him home.

We need someone with heart for this club and I'd take a bullet for that bloke. It's his time, we need to rejuvenate the players and start fresh next season, continuing with AR isn't working.
I think Harvey knows full well that he would quickly lose the 'favorite son' title with this god awful list.

There are plenty more losses to come, and a legendary, heroic St Kilda man like him shouldn't have his reputation and status degraded because of Newnes and co.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think that is actually a disservice to Harves. I don't believe he's one to shy away from a challenge. He was at St Kilda in some pretty low periods but put his head down and worked as hard as he could on his deficiencies and his fitness to ensure he had one thing that would always cover his opponent. This from a boy, to a player to a legend.
He is a modest person by nature, personal accolades made him uncomfortable but they were the poisoned fruit of his hard work and talent.
Some years on now, bearing witness and responsibility at very big clubs under very good coaches. I do not think he would hesitate to cull or tolerate those not willing to work as hard as he was willing to work as a player.
He would not care about the favourite son tag, he would care about the players, the results, the club and only how to make all three better.
He's a different beast to Hird and Voss, he does not expect to be given anything, he will work for it.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

nice read

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I doubt Harvey wants to coach the Saints. I have heard similar rumblings but a senior gig is a senior gig. I doubt any other club would appoint him.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saintadamski
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 26 Jun 2019 11:50am I think that is actually a disservice to Harves. I don't believe he's one to shy away from a challenge. He was at St Kilda in some pretty low periods but put his head down and worked as hard as he could on his deficiencies and his fitness to ensure he had one thing that would always cover his opponent. This from a boy, to a player to a legend.
He is a modest person by nature, personal accolades made him uncomfortable but they were the poisoned fruit of his hard work and talent.
Some years on now, bearing witness and responsibility at very big clubs under very good coaches. I do not think he would hesitate to cull or tolerate those not willing to work as hard as he was willing to work as a player.
He would not care about the favourite son tag, he would care about the players, the results, the club and only how to make all three better.
He's a different beast to Hird and Voss, he does not expect to be given anything, he will work for it.
I fully agree with this - but I wasn't talking simply about his character and attitude.

The media and supporter base will eventually turn on him after too many losses...look what happened to Brisbane's 'favourite son' in Voss.

I would NEVER want that to happen to Harves - he doesn't deserve it.

But perhaps he could turn around the losses fairly quickly with his work ethic, and culling of the rubbish players on the list like Newnes?

Who knows - either way, he's a freaking legend