Let's Be Honest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's Be Honest

barks4eva wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 1:25pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 1:08pm
barks4eva wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 12:57pm If Jordan Lewis or Isaac Smith played their entire careers at St.kilda would either have won four best and fairest awards ?

I think not.

Would Jordan Lewis be held in the same light as he is now if he'd started playing at St.kilda at the very same time as when Jack Steven started playing in the seniors at St.kilda ?

I think not.

I understand your illogical, laterally challenged, one dimensional, linear view and IMO it's absolute bollocks.
Lewis would have comfortably won B&F's at St Kilda. He managed to win one in a Hawthorn team that included Roughead, Franklin, Mitchell, and Hodge.
He managed to win an AA in the same year.

He'd have been the best midfielder we had once Dal and Lenny left.
We might have even snagged a flag in 2009 or 2010 with him in the team.

All academic, though, we never got the chance to draft him...We snapped up McQualter with our first pick in his draft year. Lewis went pick 7.
Jack Steven went pick 42 in 2007. Great player for us but had his flaws.
Hypothetical question
Would Jordan Lewis be held in the same light if he'd started playing senior football at St.kilda at the very same time Jack Steven started ?

If Lewis played the bulk of his career at St.kilda under Watters and Richardson would he be rated as highly as he is now having played with superstars at Hawthorn under Clarkson ?
Well...He wouldn't be a four time premiership player.
But he'd have been a great player for us provided we could get him fit like Hawthorn did.
Elite kick and a strong body. We wouldn't have had another player with those attributes.
Billings is an elite kick but not a big body. Armitage had a strong body but not an elite kick.
Lewis would have been our best on-baller!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

barks4eva wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 1:25pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 1:08pm
barks4eva wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 12:57pm If Jordan Lewis or Isaac Smith played their entire careers at St.kilda would either have won four best and fairest awards ?

I think not.

Would Jordan Lewis be held in the same light as he is now if he'd started playing at St.kilda at the very same time as when Jack Steven started playing in the seniors at St.kilda ?

I think not.

I understand your illogical, laterally challenged, one dimensional, linear view and IMO it's absolute bollocks.
Lewis would have comfortably won B&F's at St Kilda. He managed to win one in a Hawthorn team that included Roughead, Franklin, Mitchell, and Hodge.
He managed to win an AA in the same year.

He'd have been the best midfielder we had once Dal and Lenny left.
We might have even snagged a flag in 2009 or 2010 with him in the team.

All academic, though, we never got the chance to draft him...We snapped up McQualter with our first pick in his draft year. Lewis went pick 7.
Jack Steven went pick 42 in 2007. Great player for us but had his flaws.
Hypothetical question
Would Jordan Lewis be held in the same light if he'd started playing senior football at St.kilda at the very same time Jack Steven started ?

If Lewis played the bulk of his career at St.kilda under Watters and Richardson would he be rated as highly as he is now having played with superstars at Hawthorn under Clarkson ?
love the hypothetical, Lewis and Jack could probably have end their careers similarly if their clubs were reversed, meaning Jack would have taken his opportunity to be a multiple premiership player, an AA and B&F winner in a premiership year at Hawthorn and Lewis would have take his opportunity to be a multiple B&F player for a club like St Kilda that had permanent residency at the bottom of the ladder. Seeing as though their respective trade values were similar when traded it would seem the market got their trade values correct (ish) irrespective of which club or coach they played for as their natural ability and talent was around the same level. Many would still argue though that Lewis was a better player because he had one or two more weapons than Jack. But it's a mute point with regards to debating if Jack Steven is worth a FRDP because history will record that they were traded for very similar DPs, and that is the market speaking.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Premierships are obviously not individual honours and don’t determine how great an individual is or was... Rob Harvey, Nick Riewoldt, Tony Lockett, Nicky Winmar and Lenny Hayes... NO premierships

Jason Castagna has 2 premierships.
Last edited by B.M on Tue 29 Oct 2019 10:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 9:09pm Premierships are obviously not individual honours and don’t determine how great an individual is or was... Rob Harvey, Nick Riewoldt, Tony Lockett, Nicky Winmar and Lenny Hayes... NO premierships

Jason Cartagena has 2 premierships.
agreed...always pisses me off when someone says "yeah but he ain't got a premiership medallion"
just plain dumb.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mike Sheehan actually rates players on premierships

Never made sense to me??

Jono Brown better than Riewoldt because of premierships?

If Roo played for Brisbane they might have won 4 in a row, considering the year they lost Roo was AFLPA MVP

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 10:12pm Mike Sheehan actually rates players on premierships
Something about our code.
Flag 100
3rd-18th = zero
2nd = minus 100 sack coach

I have a good mate from Liverpool who is a mad Everton fan. I get the impression the Everton fans don't expect to win, that the deck is rigged, and they praise relative success. Players are respected for their contribution, even accepting that they will jump at more cash ultimately elsewhere.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintbob
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019 1:34pm I agree Jack was never elite and was overrated by a lot of St Kilda people. Best player in a poor team, would go missing often if the opposition put a little work into him. Never AA.

Might have done better in a better team if he could have been the number 3 mid instead of 1.

Definitely has screwed us over this year (and next $$$), no sympathy from me.
✅