Get Real Expectations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Get Real Expectations

Ive had mates raging on about where we should be...

I'm a big fan of reality plus a smidge of dreamin'.

2020 - 7 wins - several close ones and few sad blow outs
2021 - 12 wins - close to finals
2022 - 15-17 wins - deep into finals

We as loyal, hopeful Sainters think a few new trade ins and we're finals bound. But the core group needs 50 -75 solid games together ( teammates and coaches and game plan) to be a force.

We need to get beat by the best, battle hard and come back against odds, lose close and bounce back strong the next time, grow that bond where players know where to kick, how each other react, read the field, read each other and how to fight together.

There's still gaps where I reckon the club hopes we got it and we do too ....but we arent there in ruck yet, we arent there in defense nor offense...there's some time needed for players to get 10 - 20 consecutive games to prove their place...lots of questions over 15-20 players.

I feel like we are headed the right way for the first time since Ross the Boss shat us out like me missus' Sunday night hot green curry.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Get Real Expectations

I’d see this season as a failure if we didn’t make finals.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

I personnally not only don't care where we finish this season, I also don't think it is realistic that we win more than 5 or 6 games.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the OP. The optimist side of me hopes to push for Top 8 this year but not fussed if we don't as long as I see improvement.

Come the end of the year we will know which of our excess of positional players such as key backs, HBFs, inside mids & small forwards we can trade / delist as we search for those two elusive, quick, goal kicking mids & fingers crossed, Ben King.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I agree with many others, couldn't give a stuff about what happens this year, my only hope is the players dont get any serious injuries and can hit the preseason in good shape. I'm also hoping the season doesn't end in December which is a very real possibility and our preseason starts in February. Another bonus of not playing finals is we get an extra month ahead of the comp.

This is a gap year and my expectation is we are able to get a normal comp kicked off in 202 1and start off where we were hoping to back in March.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 9:53pm Ive had mates raging on about where we should be...

We as loyal, hopeful Sainters think a few new trade ins and we're finals bound. But the core group needs 50 -75 solid games together ( teammates and coaches and game plan) to be a force.

We need to get beat by the best, battle hard and come back against odds, lose close and bounce back strong the next time, grow that bond where players know where to kick, how each other react, read the field, read each other and how to fight together.

There's still gaps where I reckon the club hopes we got it and we do too ....but we arent there in ruck yet, we arent there in defense nor offense...there's some time needed for players to get 10 - 20 consecutive games to prove their place...lots of questions over 15-20 players.

I feel like we are headed the right way for the first time since Ross the Boss shat us out like me missus' Sunday night hot green curry.
I'm interested in why you think we will be so strong in 2022 or is that the dreaming content?

We do not have a young list, apart from Max King & Rowan Marshall there are no potential A graders at this point in time (some will argue Gresham and Clark). We are an 8-14th on the ladder team IMO. From the current best 22-25.

Core of good solid B grade AFL Players with little upside
Hill, Jones, Billings, Butler, Steele, Ross, Membrey (Hill & Billings probably A grade IMO)

C & D grade AFL players
Lonie, Kent, Marsh, Hind,

Players with Upside
Long, Battle, Coffield, Paton, Howard

Potential A grade
Marshall, King, Gresham, Clark (Clark & Gresham are maybe?)

Past their best & nearing the end
Geary, Carslile, Hannebery, Ryder

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:05am I agree with many others, couldn't give a stuff about what happens this year, my only hope is the players dont get any serious injuries and can hit the preseason in good shape. I'm also hoping the season doesn't end in December which is a very real possibility and our preseason starts in February. Another bonus of not playing finals is we get an extra month ahead of the comp.

This is a gap year and my expectation is we are able to get a normal comp kicked off in 202 1and start off where we were hoping to back in March.
That's assuming St Kilda FC has not gone into liquidation following intervention by the club's creditors' insolvency practitioners... :roll: :cry:

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Corona has hit us hard, harder than most, in terms of the arc of development.

We'll see September action as hoped, but only due to the fixture.

Was the Bulldogs game a mirage? Or the Collingwood one?

The players we added were instant coffee types, not the slow dissolving kind.

Billings isn't gonna be a star, maybe also Gresham..by the looks. The rest also rans.

King and Marshall ..that's about it..Hunter Clark?

Miserable mood today about the Saints. Sorry to say.

Our chances only rest on other teams having a complete spazz attack en masse, like Adelaide.

I think Jack Steven will win the B and F at Geelong this year.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 11:13am
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:05am I agree with many others, couldn't give a stuff about what happens this year, my only hope is the players dont get any serious injuries and can hit the preseason in good shape. I'm also hoping the season doesn't end in December which is a very real possibility and our preseason starts in February. Another bonus of not playing finals is we get an extra month ahead of the comp.

That's assuming St Kilda FC has not gone into liquidation following intervention by the club's creditors' insolvency practitioners... :roll: :cry:
Another person that needs a hug ❤

Still waiting for you to tell me where the revenue is going to come from that will start to pay down the $20 million dollar debt we'll have at years end.

Then by the end of 2021 it will be over $30 million and other clubs will be turning on us becuase under the new administration type management big walls will go up between clubs when we are scrapping for a much smaller piece of the pie, at the moment Kennett and Gordon are the only Presidents to go public and announce what many AFL people are discussing off the record, and that is the weak clubs who cant turn a buck will gave to go. It's not right but it's how the dog eat world of business will operate when the recession deepens.

Where is the revenue going to come from. Talk about that.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

When are we going to have a season when we don't have to go to Geelong, Adelaide are weak and Sydney on the slide. If this is the Asterix* season, recruit Getakix asap, get on with itx & make the VIII.

*(note crossed fingers and convenient forgetting Suns are going greatrix)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 11:35am Corona has hit us hard, harder than most, in terms of the arc of development.

We'll see September action as hoped, but only due to the fixture.

Was the Bulldogs game a mirage? Or the Collingwood one?

The players we added were instant coffee types, not the slow dissolving kind.

Billings isn't gonna be a star, maybe also Gresham..by the looks. The rest also rans.

King and Marshall ..that's about it..Hunter Clark?

Miserable mood today about the Saints. Sorry to say.

Our chances only rest on other teams having a complete spazz attack en masse, like Adelaide.

I think Jack Steven will win the B and F at Geelong this year.
Jack will be extremely lucky to get a second game imho.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 12:36pm When are we going to have a season when we don't have to go to Geelong, Adelaide are weak and Sydney on the slide. If this is the Asterix* season, recruit Getakix asap, get on with itx & make the VIII.

I'd put as much money as you can afford on tbe Suns winning the Astersik Cup while the odds are good. They will be licking thier lips at the prospect of all other clubs treating this season as a gap year.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 1:44pm
Yorkeys wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 12:36pm When are we going to have a season when we don't have to go to Geelong, Adelaide are weak and Sydney on the slide. If this is the Asterix* season, recruit Getakix asap, get on with itx & make the VIII.

I'd put as much money as you can afford on tbe Suns winning the Astersik Cup while the odds are good. They will be licking thier lips at the prospect of all other clubs treating this season as a gap year.
Yeah, someone needs to tell these blokes to stop celebrating their "Asterix Cup" so much :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 9:53pm Ive had mates raging on about where we should be...

I hope you are right regarding 12 wins in 2021 and 15 - 17 wins in 2022 but I doubt it The strategy our selectors have taken is all wrong. I believe that as a footy club we will improve but not at the same rate as the teams below us with the exception of Adelaide. They are at ground zero so their rebuild is just starting.

In my opinion Gags and Satan have been selfish and are looking after their nice cushy jobs. They are recruiting for the now to make us competitive which keeps them in a job. They keep trading out our best picks for old injured players that are past their best. Carlisle, Hannas and Hill will not be in our next premiership team. The Ryder selection was a joke. He has a maximum of 1 year left after this year and because he is playing it has stifled Masrhall's development.

Satan and Gags, Gags in particular and their selfish motives have condemned our club to another 5 years (at least), out of the top 8. Our success in the noughty's was based around a core group of roughly 10 quality players 25 or under. This time around we don't have that and by bringing in oldies all the time we will just keep chasing our tails while the clubs below us build through the draft and zoom past us. Classic example is Brisbane and soon to be Carlton.

Satan and Gags will be gone in 5 years time having shored up their future and probably moved onto better jobs. Unfortunately by that stage St Kilda would have missed finals for 14 consecutive years and replaced Melbourne as the League's laughing stock.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 1:53pm

Yeah, someone needs to tell these blokes to stop celebrating their "Asterix Cup" so much :roll:

Yeah it's all normal Cuddles. ❤

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 1:53pm

ah liverpool - the st kilda of the EPL!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

btw. the tone of this site has certainly dropped somewhat since this time last week.
from misguided optimism to depressed despair.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:42am I agree with the OP. The optimist side of me hopes to push for Top 8 this year but not fussed if we don't as long as I see improvement.

Come the end of the year we will know which of our excess of positional players such as key backs, HBFs, inside mids & small forwards we can trade / delist as we search for those two elusive, quick, goal kicking mids & fingers crossed, Ben King.
One of the critical goals of this season is determining many ( not all in 1 season - not possible to do ) key position players and the players that will back them up.

Many questions at present.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I need a hug..our last 2 coaches are from the clubs I hate the most, we have a good list but dont play like finals contenders,
I can now be addressed as mister glass half empty.

Hug please.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 5:35pm btw. the tone of this site has certainly dropped somewhat since this time last week.
Jebus! Some are manic depressives....we are all sh!t and the skies fallin' or we are grand finalists after 1 win!

Its not that bad. Get your head outta your arse, the new generation teams arent 10 A graders per side, its 2-3 and solid group of B's who have belief and are a unit....not divided. We are heading the right way. The recruiting this year was about some fresh established faces, a few who could be around for 3-4 more years.

We will get a final in the next 2 years....fact. maybe better than just 1 game deep.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 6:10pm
desertsaint wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 5:35pm btw. the tone of this site has certainly dropped somewhat since this time last week.
Jebus! Some are manic depressives....we are all sh!t and the skies fallin' or we are grand finalists after 1 win!

Its not that bad. Get your head outta your arse, the new generation teams arent 10 A graders per side, its 2-3 and solid group of B's who have belief and are a unit....not divided. We are heading the right way. The recruiting this year was about some fresh established faces, a few who could be around for 3-4 more years.

We will get a final in the next 2 years....fact. maybe better than just 1 game deep.
Do you have any helpful advice on head extraction ?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 5:53pm I need a hug..our last 2 coaches are from the clubs I hate the most, we have a good list but dont play like finals contenders,
I can now be addressed as mister glass half empty.

Hug please.
🤗

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 6:26pm

🐌🐢 these two may have a suggestion.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 6:26pm

Eat me missus' curry....wait and pray...head will dislodge at terminal velocity.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 6:10pm ........

look at our results. I am not even sure we are better (relative to the comp) than we were three years ago.

Look at result against Collingwood this year, last year, the year before. All losses and getting steadily worse each year.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!