Not So Much A Footy Team. More Like A Personality Disorder

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Not So Much A Footy Team. More Like A Personality Disorder

These are crazy times but I never expected to be barracking for a team with a personality disorder.

Apart from never intentionally using the words consistency and St Kilda in the same sentence, I can’t explain what happened yesterday.

It was great. Make that amazing.Toppling the reigning premiers.Bring it on. Any day, any time. But applauding the win, doesn’t explain it.

Fantastic against the Dogs, utterly feeble against the Pies and sublime again yesterday.

Look, I’m all in for spontaneity and unpredictability but this is ridiculous.

How can you be both good and bad at the same time, more or less? The answer is we’ve found a way.

Happy to ride the roller coaster of emotions but it is a roller coaster.

Nevertheless, a win is a win. I am not complaining. At all.

And if I were Richmond I’d be livid they let Dan Butler go let alone for peanuts.

But their loss is our gain. He’s on fire and long may it keep smouldering.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Not So Much A Footy Team. More Like A Personality Disorder

It’s still a little early but I'm beginning to think that we may have struck gold with Butler.

He's playing like an A grade player and as good as any Saints player I have seen since 2010.

He is also well suited to playing at Marvel.

It looks like this innocuous trade will be an outlier.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

You know 4th on the ladder is equal 12th right?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 12:41pm You know 4th on the ladder is equal 12th right?
I reckon if ever there was a good year to have a premiership hangover then during COVID-19 is your perfect excuse, Richmond are playing like they don't give a stuff. Are they taking this gap year phenomenon to the next level.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Most teams are all over the place.

The OP is guff.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 12:29pm It’s still a little early but I'm beginning to think that we may have struck gold with Butler.

He's playing like an A grade player and as good as any Saints player I have seen since 2010.

He is also well suited to playing at Marvel.

It looks like this innocuous trade will be an outlier.
What I like about Jones, Hill and Butler is their urgency to get the ball forward and give the forwards the opportunity one out.

For too long we have had Dunstan, Ross, Steele, Newnes win the ball, stop and prop and go sideways then bomb to a long contest. This was obviously the game plan to hold up the ball and control it and was probably born of the calibre of the midfield at the time.

Now we have players who can run and carry and support the inside work of Steele and co and its exciting to watch.

I think Seb returning to a defensive mid is working well and he is being undervalued a little bit here because his numbers are down.

We also looked a lot more mobile with Marshall rucking solo and more runners on the ground and though I'm not a fan Kents contribution was telling. I think we miss Bruce and made a mistake there (assuming we had other means to secure Jones) as he would be a great replacement for Marsh and take the heat off King.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Butler played in the 2017 Richmond premiership team
But then Richmond preferred Castagna, Higgins & Rioli in 2019 plus Pickett.

As a generalisation indigenous players are more nimble and fast.
The white mob larger and more muscular.
But those are stereotypical generalisations.
Butler does not fit the stereotype.
He is small, nimble, fast and accurate.
Note it was Rioli that Richmond left out.
Richmond blundered based on race and maybe family name, not based on individual merit.
Saints were the beneficiary.

I love watching nimble and fast players regardless of race, they are exciting.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 12:57pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 12:41pm You know 4th on the ladder is equal 12th right?
I reckon if ever there was a good year to have a premiership hangover then during COVID-19 is your perfect excuse, Richmond are playing like they don't give a stuff. Are they taking this gap year phenomenon to the next level.
I’m not saying you’re wrong but you reckon they will just be able to flick the switch back on in 2021. It’s not like COVID-1984 is going away anytime soon either.

damienc
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 12:59pm Most teams are all over the place.

The OP is guff.
So kind of you to say so.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

I saw an interesting point somewhere about Richmond and crowds.

The suggestion was that they have been somewhat reliant on them, and have suffered as a result of the emptt stadiums.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:04pm I saw an interesting point somewhere about Richmond and crowds.

The suggestion was that they have been somewhat reliant on them, and have suffered as a result of the emptt stadiums.
Excuses excuses.

So is everyone else...

Looks to me that Richmond is playing like they were in the first half of last year before things started falling in place for them like playing a beat up and totally shot GWS in the Grand Final on their home ground.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’m actually inclined to think that what’s happening here is that we’ve firmly gotten into the category of developing young team...
And the term young doesn’t refer so much to average age but more in the context of team.

Broad view of what’s happening so far in 2020
We have have Jones, Butler, Hill, Howard and Ryder all new in 2020

Then we have the inexperienced, younger guys such as Coffield, Hind, Paton, King and Marsh

Hannebery is playing with a degree of regularity that he hasn’t for a while and is hopefully benefiting from the runs and is closer to playing as we know he can (not that he hasn’t been ok)

Clarke looks a step away from jumping into the elite category

Long is in a knew position and is having good and bad moments but all in all seems to be a plus at the moment

All in all... we just have the young, hungry team vibe to us.
Great when our tails are up and we’re hunting the ball and man
Look really dangerous on a run

The flip side is that we’re quite vulnerable to pressure and a hard edge as evidenced in the Collingwood game. We’re very susceptible defensively and by that I mean when the opposition get on a run or start moving the ball quickly and hitting the scoreboard... we don’t seem to quite know how to stop them.

The recipe for stopping St.Kilda at the moment is keep possession of the ball... both losses, we’ve gone through this heavy patch of time where we just can’t get our hands on the pill with any degree of regularity especially when our big guns are being held.
Target Jones and target Hill... that’s been the ticket

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Over the last few years we’ve always been able to pull out games where we look like rockstars. I think last week we just ran into the best team we’ve played this year on a ground that we don’t like as much as Marvel.

Next week will be a good test.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
happy feet
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:58pm Over the last few years we’ve always been able to pull out games where we look like rockstars. I think last week we just ran into the best team we’ve played this year on a ground that we don’t like as much as Marvel.

Yes and on a 5 day vs 8 day turnaround. With limited time to prepare and not a lot of game time to get miles in their legs, the shocker against the filth was always going to happen. The 5 day turnaround would have had a huge effect.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:16pm Butler played in the 2017 Richmond premiership team
But then Richmond preferred Castagna, Higgins & Rioli in 2019 plus Pickett.

As a generalisation indigenous players are more nimble and fast.
The white mob larger and more muscular.
But those are stereotypical generalisations.
Butler does not fit the stereotype.
He is small, nimble, fast and accurate.
Note it was Rioli that Richmond left out.
Richmond blundered based on race and maybe family name, not based on individual merit.
Saints were the beneficiary.

I love watching nimble and fast players regardless of race, they are exciting.
Why do you continue to try and push your racist agenda. You love stirring us up and you love the whites vs indigenous player bs

Based on the highlighted sentence, you are implying that it was a trade decision based on race which is clearly ludicrous and disgusting

Why don't you just have a slogan...ScoMo style..."Whites are superior"

If you love watching footy players regardless of race, then shut the f*** up and stop highlighting their skin colour

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 3:16pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:58pm Over the last few years we’ve always been able to pull out games where we look like rockstars. I think last week we just ran into the best team we’ve played this year on a ground that we don’t like as much as Marvel.

Yes and on a 5 day vs 8 day turnaround. With limited time to prepare and not a lot of game time to get miles in their legs, the shocker against the filth was always going to happen. The 5 day turnaround would have had a huge effect.
We had a 6 day turnaround for Pies game (Sun - Sat).

Collingwood has 9 day turnaround (Thurs - Sat week).

Six days is the minimum you want but 7 is ideal.

It's the back to back shorter breaks, particularly coming off interstate travel that can hurt teams but management of this has improved over the years and it's becoming less and less a factor.

I don't think it can be used as an excuse here though after only one game.

damienc
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:40pm I’m actually inclined to think that what’s happening here is that we’ve firmly gotten into the category of developing young team...
And the term young doesn’t refer so much to average age but more in the context of team.

Broad view of what’s happening so far in 2020
We have have Jones, Butler, Hill, Howard and Ryder all new in 2020

Then we have the inexperienced, younger guys such as Coffield, Hind, Paton, King and Marsh

Hannebery is playing with a degree of regularity that he hasn’t for a while and is hopefully benefiting from the runs and is closer to playing as we know he can (not that he hasn’t been ok)

Clarke looks a step away from jumping into the elite category

Long is in a knew position and is having good and bad moments but all in all seems to be a plus at the moment

All in all... we just have the young, hungry team vibe to us.
Great when our tails are up and we’re hunting the ball and man
Look really dangerous on a run

The flip side is that we’re quite vulnerable to pressure and a hard edge as evidenced in the Collingwood game. We’re very susceptible defensively and by that I mean when the opposition get on a run or start moving the ball quickly and hitting the scoreboard... we don’t seem to quite know how to stop them.

The recipe for stopping St.Kilda at the moment is keep possession of the ball... both losses, we’ve gone through this heavy patch of time where we just can’t get our hands on the pill with any degree of regularity especially when our big guns are being held.
Target Jones and target Hill... that’s been the ticket
I think you are on the money with this.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Simply put - we have a good game plan - when we play to it - but a better and stronger team can bump us off our game - Richmond tried several times - but we got back on track - Collingwood just put their hands around our throats and squeezed.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 4:06pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 3:16pm

We had a 6 day turnaround for Pies game (Sun - Sat).

Collingwood has 9 day turnaround (Thurs - Sat week).

Six days is the minimum you want but 7 is ideal.

It's the back to back shorter breaks, particularly coming off interstate travel that can hurt teams but management of this has improved over the years and it's becoming less and less a factor.

I don't think it can be used as an excuse here though after only one game.
Yeah the difference in breaks between games is well overplayed.

Essendon and Melbourne both has much longer breaks than their opposition going in to this round, both lost.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:30pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 12:57pm
I’m not saying you’re wrong but you reckon they will just be able to flick the switch back on in 2021. It’s not like COVID-1984 is going away anytime soon either.
Absolutely, Gold Coast could win back to back flags if we get multiple COVID waves. It's like the virus is making them stronger.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's sparkling style enlivens
low-scoring AFL season,
while Richmond lacks synergy

thats a nice headline to see on a monday morning

go us

might have to ring my old man
he’s a tuggers supporter
8-) 1 8-)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-29/ ... e/12401678

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.