What Some Are Saying About Us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

What Some Are Saying About Us

This is what ABC footy commentator, Alister Nicholson, said about us. Enjoy:

" In a low-scoring season, negatively influenced by overly cautious ball movement, fear of turn overs and an emphasis on defensive structures, St Kilda is one of a few sides providing a sense of football fulfilment.

For the second time this season, I commentated a game involving the Saints on the weekend and came away wanting more.

The Saints approach to Saturday's clash with Richmond was a stark indication of the self-assuredness flowing through the side from Moorabbin.

A careful approach to ball movement and denying the Tigers possession has been an effective method for stifling the reigning premier. But rather than follow the pack, St Kilda played its style. A style that's both compelling to watch and effective.

The Saints filled a clear void in their playing list by adding genuine speed and evasive line-breakers. Bradley Hill, Zac Jones and Dan Butler have given them much-needed zip, zig and zag.

The Saints' wins over the Bulldogs and Richmond were built around a style of football that's exciting to watch and a departure from the modern defence-first mindsets that detract from the spectacle.

Brett Ratten has given his side the freedom to enjoy the game — to play with instinct and natural flair. There's a want to move the ball quickly, a willingness to use the centre corridor or go long to a forward-line contest.

And when the ball is on the ground, look out. A crew of crafty crumbers including Butler, Jack Lonie, Dean Kent, Jade Gresham and Jack Billings, is ready to swoop."

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Some Are Saying About Us

The quicker we get the "Richo" out of the group the better. Let the boys have fun and back themselves, let's see what our talent can do.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Valid comments from Nicholson, and I place more weight on his assessment because he has played plenty of AFL football in the modern era.

Saint supporter since '62
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

On AFL360 it was about the Tigers just as it was about the dogs when we beat them. f*** 'em!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 11:22pm On AFL360 it was about the Tigers just as it was about the dogs when we beat them. f*** 'em!
They’re just jealous.

Arseholes.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Peanut Farm
Club Player

I wonder if Nicholson was at the North & Pies games where we kicked 1 goal after half time in both games in perfect conditions?
Yes, we looked great against the Dogs & Tigers but we need consistency.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 7:31pm Valid comments from Nicholson, and I place more weight on his assessment because he has played plenty of AFL football in the modern era.
I don't think this is the same guy who played AFL for Melbourne?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:20am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 7:31pm Valid comments from Nicholson, and I place more weight on his assessment because he has played plenty of AFL football in the modern era.
I don't think this is the same guy who played AFL for Melbourne?
It isn't, my wrong. AlistER not AlistAIR. Don't know how I mixed that up.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Seeing Hill waltz on down to the goal line to receive a duly anticipated ball, his opponent miles behind, reminded me of Rob Harvey PF '97. Lovely........

Of course they said the same about North for a while under Scott and Port under Hinkley, Port were a 'refreshing delight' for a season a few years back. Two years later they are talking about coaches on the chopping block!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
resaintlee
Club Player

This bloke is Alister, the ex Melbourne player is Alistair